First time on regent , new at cruising

Odile1

We are due to do the Panama Canal , 18 days, on The mariner

Any advice, the reviews have been mixed, we booked all our excursions and two diner reservations

What to bring or not, how to use concierge,Mehta to avoid or not do?

Thanks

I will also be on this cruise. I've been on the Navigator 3 times and Voyager once. Loved all these cruises. This will be my first on mariner. I'm a little concerned because of the smaller suites, closets, bathrooms than on the other 2 ships but we are determined to go into it with the attitude of FUN. We have always enjoyed getting to know people and most of the passengers are usually this way. So..enjoy the trip, meet new friends, eat, and be merry...don't sweat the small stuff. 😊

I recently posted on a long thread about our Mariner cruise. Keep in mind that we prefer the Voyager so many of my comments come from that perspective. The Mariner's public spaces are absolutely amazing. She would be the perfect ship to be on for the Panama Canal (we were on the Voyager for that voyage). The reason I say this is that the Observation Lounge has better viewing both inside and outside than the Voyager.

In terms of the suite, they are smaller than the Voyager or Navigator but most people do not pay as much attention to that as my DH does. I posted about the safe so that passengers reading my post would not think they could put an iPad (for instance) in the safe. This isn't a big deal since we leave things around the suite all the time and in all of our cruises have not had anything taken. The closet is still a walk-in with plenty of room for your clothes. Unlike the closets on the Voyager, only one person at a time will fit in the closet. Note: I am assuming that the closet size in regular suites is similar to PH suites. We have been into a regular suite but not sailed in one. Many people prefer the Mariner to the Voyager...... it is just personal preference.

Regarding the Navigator...... Odile1, we were in a Master Suite on the Navigator that was under the "Bridge" where the Captain and the officers walk back and forth 24 hours a day. I believe we were on deck 10. You may want to check this out as the noise was bothersome. Other than that, the Navigator is a cozy little ship. IMO she is a good ship to do a first Regent cruise.

Odic 1, rcandkc, & Octoberkat, The thing not to do on a Caribbean and/or Panama cruise is to overpack. Generally these cruises are warm weather and casual. Light weight sport clothes, a swimsuit or two and a jacket will do you well during the day, take clothes for evening that you can wear over again. Your fellow passengers don't care what you wear, as long as you don't wear shorts & jeans after six. The suites on the Mariner are much larger than on most ships and the closets hold enough clothes for a world cruise. You will all have a wonderful time and you don't have to work at it. Angie

We are due to do the Panama Canal , 18 days, on The mariner

Any advice, the reviews have been mixed, we booked all our excursions and two diner reservations

What to bring or not, how to use concierge,Mehta to avoid or not do?

Thanks

Not sure what you are asking about the concierge. Actually, in all of our cruises, the only time we dealt with the concierge is when our luggage was lost and she was instrumental in finding it (along with several other passengers luggage).

In terms of what to bring or not. You do not need an umbrella (unless you want to carry a small one). You will have an umbrella in your suite and they are also available when you get off of the ship at the ports.

While the dress code is elegant casual, people do tend to dress up a bit more on the nights of the Captain's Reception and when they dine in Signatures in Prime 7. Some men wear sports jackets at these times even though they are not required. Long sleeved dress shirts and slacks are fairly common but you will see some men in polo shirts and more casual slacks. This is something I like to share so that you know what to expect and can dress in a manner that will make you comfortable. Also, being on sailing that is over 15 nights, there will probably be at least one "formal optional" night (again, usually the Captain's Reception which is usually the 2nd night at sea.)

Women have it a bit easier in terms of dress. A slightly fancier blouse or wrap can make a casual outfit perfect for the evening. My TA taught me to pack a couple of pair of black slacks and several tops. I also pack one long skirt (black). I don't stick to just black - but that is the basis of my wardrobe. During the day, shorts, t-shirts -- just about anything is fine. Just make sure that you change into evening attire by 6:00 p.m. since that is when the "no jeans, etc." dress code takes effect.

You will probably want to dine in Compass Rose on the night of the Captain's Reception and Captain's Farewell as the menu is extra special and typically includes items like lobster and Beef Wellington. Also suggest getting there either when they open or late. After the reception is over, there tends to be a rush of people going to CR which can overwhelm the staff and slow down service.

When ordering on Regent, keep in mind that you can order appetizer portions of an entree or entrée portions of appetizers. For instance, on one of the "special" nights, I couldn't decide between lobster or another main course. So, we ordered a side (or appetizer size) order of lobster. This way we could have both. And, if you find something you particularly like, you can have it again with 24 hours notice. They will prepare anything that they have ingredients for with notice. Ask your server to check with the Dining Room manager. He or she can take your order.

If you find a wine that you particularly like, let the sommelier know. He or she can get the wine for you every night - as long as it is in stock. Some nights we try the recommended wine for the and end up asking for our favorite.

Service on Regent is excellent but we prefer to find a server that we like and stick with them in the evening in CR. Especially when you are onboard for a long time, the server gets to know your likes and dislikes and can make recommendations for you.

This is a lot of information -- if you have any specific questions, just ask and someone will try to answer them for you.

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat2 is correct on her information. We have had a butler on about half of our cruises but have never really used a concierge. No real need. I always overpack (I love choices and lots of shoes) Long black skirt, black slacks with nice tops.

I also take two pashminas (one black, one red) for evenings as it can be very cool. DH likes to wear long sleeved shirts with a jacket for evenings, he will wear a tie with black suit for formal nights.

Just bring what makes you comfortable. If you forget something, I am sure Regent staff will help you find it. Enjoy!

Here's something that makes a Regent cruise special: room service is totally included. That means that while you're sitting on your balcony as you transit the canal, feel free to dial room service and order an adult beverage, or whatever else suits your fancy.

We didn't think to do this at first, but we realized that the fellow in the next cabin was having a milkshake delivered every afternoon, and the light bulb went on!

Edited by cAPS lOCK oN

Two questions, both easy, I think. I know that gratuities are included, but no tipping even for room service? And is Assam tea available? I usually take my own on other holidays.

As far as tipping is concerned, no tipping is required for room service either. However, we've felt obliged to try and tip and have been respectfully declined about as many times as accepted.

Lots of good information above, all of which I would agree with. As to tipping, our first couple of times we tipped certain employees at the end, but then read somewhere, or maybe someone told us this, but we now make a contribution to the crew fund at the end of the cruise. This benefits all crew members, even those you never see, and provides them with parties now and then, and even emergency assistance when necessary should they need to get home or something. We will often buy our room steward or butler if we have one, a little gift of some sort in port, if we have a room stewardess I will buy her flowers at one of the ports.

Don't know about the particular tea you are asking about nuneham, they have a good variety, but I would take it if I were you and you really prefer that one.

Great cruises everyone, enjoy.

Edited by ridolphi

One more fashion question - for some context, my husband and I leave in two weeks to celebrate our 40th birthdays. Where we usually vacation (Nantucket) the uniform for going out at night is white jeans, heels, and a long tunic-style top (think Tory Burch). I am guessing this won't work because of the no jeans policy so am planning to bring sundresses instead, but wondered what you thought? (Old habits are hard to break!)

One more fashion question - for some context, my husband and I leave in two weeks to celebrate our 40th birthdays. Where we usually vacation (Nantucket) the uniform for going out at night is white jeans, heels, and a long tunic-style top (think Tory Burch). I am guessing this won't work because of the no jeans policy so am planning to bring sundresses instead, but wondered what you thought? (Old habits are hard to break!)

That's all I ever wear on board. We live in South West Florida and that's my uniform--club, cruise, church, horse show. I call them jeans only because they aren't linen, but then again I have linen "jeans"as well. Lilly tops. Chico's tops and everything in between. No heels for me--Jack Rogers sandals. Silk trousers and TB tops for my husband.

Are you on the Nov. 6 sailing out of Miami?

Debi

"No jeans" is now mentioned daily in Passages (the newsletter delivered to your suite). Agree with the suggestion of getting a couple pairs of slacks. Also agree with contributing to the crew fund. Tipping sets up expectations that could make passengers uncomfortable (this only happened to us once but we knew that a certain crew member was hanging around to get a tip...... not something that should happen on a luxury cruise line - IMO)

That's all I ever wear on board. We live in South West Florida and that's my uniform--club, cruise, church, horse show. I call them jeans only because they aren't linen, but then again I have linen "jeans"as well. Lilly tops. Chico's tops and everything in between. No heels for me--Jack Rogers sandals. Silk trousers and TB tops for my husband.

Are you on the Nov. 6 sailing out of Miami?

Debi

Yes! We can't wait.

Thanks for all of the fashion advice - off to see if I can find some white pants (which should be on sale this time of year)!

If you are wearing the white jeans with a long top and heels, and they look nice, I suspect it would not even be noticed. The "no jeans" thing is more to avoid blue jeans, whether they are just regular jeans, bedazzled designer ones, or ripped teenager ones. But I would bring some other pants just to be on the safe side.

Regarding tea, I have never seen Assam on board Regent. Actually their tea is just pretty basic unless you are in one of the top concierge suites.

When I say "jeans"I mean the Eileen Fisher, Chico's type of pant that is worn with dress shoes. Mine are in brushed cotton, silk, linen and a brushed cordoroy(sp) made by Eileen Fisher. Blue jeans made of denim and khaki slacks are saved for winter horse shows. Cotton pants here in Florida are very hard to find unless you are 75 years old and want the pull on variety. Silk is a great alternative! I have 23 pairs of white slacks now and all contingencies are covered!

And if anyone finds any decent summer weight pants ANYWHERE please let me know! All we have down here now is fall and winter(not sure who they think is going to wear it!!!) and the resort lines are not in yet.

Debi

PS__KGB I look forward to seeing your heels--I can't wear heels anymore and look forward to seeing beautiful ones!

Edited by debijaynes
spacing

When I say "jeans"I mean the Eileen Fisher, Chico's type of pant that is worn with dress shoes. Mine are in brushed cotton, silk, linen and a brushed cordoroy(sp) made by Eileen Fisher. Blue jeans made of denim and khaki slacks are saved for winter horse shows. Cotton pants here in Florida are very hard to find unless you are 75 years old and want the pull on variety. Silk is a great alternative! I have 23 pairs of white slacks now and all contingencies are covered!

And if anyone finds any decent summer weight pants ANYWHERE please let me know! All we have down here now is fall and winter(not sure who they think is going to wear it!!!) and the resort lines are not in yet.

Debi

PS__KGB I look forward to seeing your heels--I can't wear heels anymore and look forward to seeing beautiful ones!

Sale racks at Chicos are full of summer pants. Was just there yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aren't you all lucky!!! We haven't had summer clothing at Chicos for a while. Have given up on them. No St John at Nordstrom in resort yet. A little at Tommy Bahama but nothing new!!! Funny that Oregon has summer clothing and we don't! I'll just go to the Cruise closet and see what's there!!!

Debi