Does it seem that Bermuda doesn't like us?

GrandmaHofmann

I am getting ready for an NCL cruise NYC to Bermuda in April. In reading about Bermuda, I find it costs $70 to take a cab to St. George ($140 for a two-hour round trip), that tourists can't rent cars, that the disabled are not welcome on the buses, that ferries run only every two hours and are very small too boot. It seems to me that Bermuda would like us herded into the Dockyard where we can spend our money in shops, restaurants, and bars plus selected attractions. But they don't want us out there roaming their island unless we are paying through the nose to do it. Hmmmm. I understand to dump a few thousand people onto a relatively small island causes problems. Why then, do they allow more than one ship in to compound the problems?

When I have visited Bermuda, I have never felt like that. I've always felt welcome by all I have dealt with. I agree that the buses are not handicap friendly but the ferries to Hamilton and St George hold 400 or more passengers each.

As for car rentals, the roads are narrow, crowded, and driven on the other side. Good reasons why rentals are not offered. Not to mention the added pollution additional cars would bring

An alternative for taking a taxi to St George would be the ferry for $4.50 fare.

SBtS

I am getting ready for an NCL cruise NYC to Bermuda in April. In reading about Bermuda, I find it costs $70 to take a cab to St. George ($140 for a two-hour round trip), that tourists can't rent cars, that the disabled are not welcome on the buses, that ferries run only every two hours and are very small too boot. It seems to me that Bermuda would like us herded into the Dockyard where we can spend our money in shops, restaurants, and bars plus selected attractions. But they don't want us out there roaming their island unless we are paying through the nose to do it. Hmmmm. I understand to dump a few thousand people onto a relatively small island causes problems. Why then, do they allow more than one ship in to compound the problems?

It is not just tourists, no one can rent cars. And residents are limited to owning one car. It is as you are aware a small island. The infrastructure can't handle more traffic. Taking a taxi to St. George from the Dockyard makes little sense. I have made the trip many times on the ferry $4.50 a trip. It is easy to roam the island on ferries, and public buses. I don't recommend it but the adventurous rent scooters. True that they have not done great to make Bermuda accessible, the buses not being accessible is a fail, but it is a small island in between first and third world. It takes resources.

I do think that Bermuda would prefer tourists fly in and stay at hotels rather than cruise there. They are kind of stuck with the cruise ships because of lack of appealing moderate priced resorts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it's definitely not a very walk able place in some areas. when i was on the bus and saw joggers taking their life into their own hands i thought they were nuts. some places you are inches from walls or other barriers on the bus. and even natives on scooters should be afraid based on what i've seen.

since i know no other way, bermuda seemed ok to me and the 30 something dollar 2 day pass was a pretty good deal for the ferry/bus. i cant wait to get back but no idea when.

I've never met such nice people then when I was in Bermuda. Public transportation is simple and they were very accommodating each time I've been there by adding extra buses and ferries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is not just tourists, no one can rent cars. And residents are limited to owning one car. It is as you are aware a small island. The infrastructure can't handle more traffic. Taking a taxi to St. George from the Dockyard makes little sense. I have made the trip many times on the ferry $4.50 a trip. It is easy to roam the island on ferries, and public buses. I don't recommend it but the adventurous rent scooters. True that they have not done great to make Bermuda accessible, the buses not being accessible is a fail, but it is a small island in between first and third world. It takes resources. I do think that Bermuda would prefer tourists fly in and stay at hotels rather than cruise there. They are kind of stuck with the cruise ships because of lack of appealing moderate priced resorts.

I would recommend taking the ferry rather than a bus. Buses go fast around curves, which makes me feel motion sickness. The ferry to St. George or Hamilton, is a beautiful relaxing ride.

I have learned to take motion sickness pills before boarding Bermuda's public buses. Just saying.

One of the reasons that Bermuda is seen by so many as the best island to visit is that they have an infrastructure appropriate to their geography. If someone cannot wait for the excellent ferry service, or deal with the inexpensive bus service, they should restrict their travel to islands which have allowed their environments to be over-run by tourist friendly accommodations.

The logistics just don't sound very good. If a ferry holds 400 people and there are 6,000 cruisers in port, it would take a very, very long time to move people around, especially considering the ferries only run every two hours. We have hired a blue taxi considering I use a wheelchair and wheelchairs are not allowed on the buses and, judging by some comments on these boards, are also a problem on the ferries. If I did not want my island overrun with tourists, I would not let 6,000 of them in at one time.

The logistics just don't sound very good. If a ferry holds 400 people and there are 6,000 cruisers in port, it would take a very, very long time to move people around, especially considering the ferries only run every two hours. We have hired a blue taxi considering I use a wheelchair and wheelchairs are not allowed on the buses and, judging by some comments on these boards, are also a problem on the ferries. If I did not want my island overrun with tourists, I would not let 6,000 of them in at one time.

We've visited Bermuda regularly for about 30 years, mostly on cruise ships, including several times on one of the behemoths that carries about 4,000 passengers...the ship you're booked on. Is it more crowded now than years ago? Sure. But we've never had trouble boarding the ferry of our choice. Just show up a few minutes early and get on line. 6,000 passengers aren't trying to get from Dockyard to St. George by ferry at the same time. People are going many places... to the beaches, to Hamilton, on various private and ship's tours...on ferries, buses, taxis and mini buses throughout the day.

Starting this year there will be two new ferries running between Dockyard and St. George exclusively for NCLH (NCL, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas) passengers. NCLH is paying for the construction of the ferries. This will relieve the burden on the public ferry system, making travel between Dockyard and St. George easier for everyone else. However, the new ferries are not scheduled to begin service until sometime after your cruise.

You're being incredibly negative about someplace you've never visited. Having pre-conceived negative thoughts is almost a sure-fire recipe for disappointment.

Bermuda is a marvelous country, and we'll be cruising there once again this summer.

Edited by njhorseman

I have always been able to get on the ferry I planned to take. Everyone on the ships is not taking a ferry at the same time. Also many are heading to the beaches on the South Shore that are not ferry destinations. It does not take a long time to move people around. Bermuda can handle 6000 passengers and many repeat often like myself. They must be doing something right. Most wheelchairs can be taken on the ferries. The ferry to Hamilton runs every hour, the ferry to St. George's every two hours or hour and a half. Bermuda is not very accessible. No ADA or Disability rights. It is not a devolved nation like the USA. It is a small island. When traveling that is something to take into before booking if you are disabled. I think doing a taxi tour is a good decision for anyone in a wheelchair. It is also a good decision for those without mobility issues. One of my favorite days in Bermuda was a taxi tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, but the ferries do sell out. It happened to us last July in St. George. My wife has trouble walking so we needed to use the Dockyard tram to get from the ship to the ferry dock and back. We were in St George and needed to take the 7 PM (I think it was 7) back to Dockyards in order to be sure we could get the tram back to the ship as the tram stops running I think at 10 PM. We got to the ferry in St George at 6:15 and there was a very long line. The ferry filled up and stoped taking on passengers before we got to the head of the line. The next and last ferry was two hours later and that meant we would miss the last tram back to the ship. We ended up taking a taxi back to Hamilion and the ferry from there and then the tram. By the way, we were lucky to get a taxied from St. George. They are few and far between.

Ah, but the ferries do sell out. It happened to us last July in St. George. My wife has trouble walking so we needed to use the Dockyard tram to get from the ship to the ferry dock and back. We were in St George and needed to take the 7 PM (I think it was 7) back to Dockyards in order to be sure we could get the tram back to the ship as the tram stops running I think at 10 PM. We got to the ferry in St George at 6:15 and there was a very long line. The ferry filled up and stoped taking on passengers before we got to the head of the line. The next and last ferry was two hours later and that meant we would miss the last tram back to the ship. We ended up taking a taxi back to Hamilion and the ferry from there and then the tram. By the way, we were lucky to get a taxied from St. George. They are few and far between.

The last ferry from St.George's was at 5:30 PM last summer. Your times make no sense.

e66a38a7531dad12c62517b0abe21dcf.jpg