Help please for first time cruiser regarding Chic Night

Salsbee

We have booked our first ever cruise to Alaska in July and after a lot of research, chose to go with Celebrity - we are on the Millennium and are getting very excited.

However, one issue is causing us a lot of head scratching and that is the "Chic Night". Having never cruised before, we sort of assumed that we would pack a dinner suit for my husband, but after reading lots of posts here, it could be that he would stick out like a sore thumb!!

I would be grateful for any advice regarding this - and anything else that might be useful to know for a "newbie".

Thank you.

.... it could be that he would stick out like a sore thumb!!

No, you wouldn´t ;-)

With the Chic night Celebrity just followed what guest on board did anyway.

You had your people in suit/tux and nice dresses, your people in just jackets and people in their regular evening clothes.

How many of each group varied from itinerary to itinerary - more relaxed on caribbean cruises, more formal on European cruises etc.

And it is still the same: some dress up, some don´t.

If you like to dress up, just do! You will not be alone...

if you are worried about the weight of your luggage, just take a jacket and it will also be alright.

Enjoy your cruise and don´t worry ;-)

Edited by Miaminice

Hi,

We have never sailed to Alaska, but have been on two recent cruises with Chic Nights. Your husband would look just fine in a suit, and would not stick out like a sore thumb.

He could also go for something more casual, what used to be called "resort casual" and fit in just as well.

We found a lot of suits, blazers, and a few tuxes on our cruises, but a lot of guys looked great with the more casual look.

Don't know if this helps.

Have a great cruise, and don't stress the small stuff!!!!!

We sailed on Millennium August last year Vancouver/Seward. Because we travel light I didn't pack a jacket (or tie) for the then "formal" night so, on that night, we dined in the buffet. The following night we rejoined our American dining companions in the MDR. They had wondered were we had got to and when I explained about not having a jacket they said it wouldn't have mattered as many men dined without one.

We'll be on Solstice this August for another inside passage cruise and I wont be packing a suit or jacket. I might throw in a tie though.

Thank you all for your help. These boards are so useful for first timers like us. We are really looking forward to our trip and I will post a review when we get back. I wonder if we will get "bitten by the bug?" ..........

Thank you all for your help. These boards are so useful for first timers like us. We are really looking forward to our trip and I will post a review when we get back. I wonder if we will get "bitten by the bug?" ..........

I bet you will!

Our Alaska cruise was one of the best ever - and we have done a few by now.

I can offer you a review with loads of pics. However, it is one we have not translated yet - maybe you would just like to enjoy the photos:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Alaska/alaska.html

Celebrity changed to Evening Chic because cruisers were following the formal night dress code less and less. In general, the idea is to dress up a little more than you would on the resort casual nights, but there is no longer a stipulation for tux or dark suit for men. If your husband wants to wear his suit, go for it, he won't be alone. But if he would rather not, that is OK too. My DH has given up his suit for a nice blazer, dressy slacks and an open neck shirt with no tie. He says he doesn't miss formal at all.

We have booked our first ever cruise to Alaska in July and after a lot of research, chose to go with Celebrity - we are on the Millennium and are getting very excited.

However, one issue is causing us a lot of head scratching and that is the "Chic Night". Having never cruised before, we sort of assumed that we would pack a dinner suit for my husband, but after reading lots of posts here, it could be that he would stick out like a sore thumb!!

I would be grateful for any advice regarding this - and anything else that might be useful to know for a "newbie".

Thank you.

just bring something a little snazzy..Doesn't have to be a formal suit. Just something a little more dressy. A sport coat a couple dress shirts & perhaps a tie.

I just got off an Alaska cruise on Solstice on Friday -- I think the Alaska cruises may be even a bit more casual than say, Europe based cruises. I only saw 2 men in tuxedoes and I don't recall any in a full blown suit -- sport jackets ruled the day, with a significant number of men simply wearing nice collared shirts on Chic Nights.

I think we had just decided to push the boat out (no pun intended!) and husband pack a tux but now think he will be better off in something less formal. I on the other hand will still wear my beautiful new sparkly dress!!

If you want to pack light and easy, your husband can comfortable wear jeans every night as per the new dress code, since we are not big picture takers just nice jeans and a short sleeve collared shirt for my son and I in August

My husband will now wear just a sport coat with open collar shirt underneath, either a golf type shirt or button-down shirt. I will likely wear black slacks (palazzo type or dress type) and a top of some kind with some sparkles. I will wear the same thing both nights and change up jewelry, scarf, etc.

On all other nights (non-chic) I'll look very much like a page in a Chico's catalog (minus the model body!) and my husband will be wearing slacks and a Hawaiian shirt or golf shirt.

Just off a cruise a couple weeks ago and many men were admitted into the dining room for dinner IN SHORTS. Yes, shorts. :eek:

My husband pointed out every one of them that walked by our table or were sitting near us. :rolleyes:

For chic nights, your DH would look nice dressed like that but it isn't necessary. Just depends on what HE feels comfortable in for dinner.

My husband will now wear just a sport coat with open collar shirt underneath, either a golf type shirt or button-down shirt. I will likely wear black slacks (palazzo type or dress type) and a top of some kind with some sparkles. I will wear the same thing both nights and change up jewelry, scarf, etc.

On all other nights (non-chic) I'll look very much like a page in a Chico's catalog (minus the model body!) and my husband will be wearing slacks and a Hawaiian shirt or golf shirt.

I had to laugh when I read your post. Like you, I live in Chico's clothes. In fact, I just order new white dressy ankle length pants for our next cruise. My husband loves - and lives in - Tommy Bahama silk shirts. I just took him shopping at Nordstrom for a wardrobe refresh, again anticipating our upcoming cruise.

I do find it amazing that I almost never run into someone wearing the same Chico's outfits that I have. Don't seem plausible but it is.

Despite the fact that we live in Alaska we've done several Alaskan cruises. And I do feel that the dress on the Alaska cruises we've been on (including three on Celebrity) was more casual than we would have seen on other itineraries.

Just off a cruise a couple weeks ago and many men were admitted into the dining room for dinner IN SHORTS. Yes, shorts. :eek:

My husband pointed out every one of them that walked by our table or were sitting near us. :rolleyes:

For chic nights, your DH would look nice dressed like that but it isn't necessary. Just depends on what HE feels comfortable in for dinner.

We left the Eclipse on May 22nd after spending thirty-five days on board. We also saw shorts on "Evening Chic" nights -- one guy on the first leg of that series and then two folks on another leg.

Despite the fact that we live in Alaska we've done several Alaskan cruises. And I do feel that the dress on the Alaska cruises we've been on (including three on Celebrity) was more casual than we would have seen on other itineraries.

We left the Eclipse on May 22nd after spending thirty-five days on board. We also saw shorts on "Evening Chic" nights -- one guy on the first leg of that series and then two folks on another leg.

This is where the staff needs to "man' up and enforce at least the minimum. After talking to a few Maître D on Cunard/Celebrity/Princess, their overall response was, the staff's unwillingness to "upset" paying customers. I guess the rest of us who at least try to follow the dress codes don't seem to matter.

Edited by keithm
grammer

The only time when men in shorts are allowed in the MDR is the first night of the cruise IF you tell the maiter d' that your luggage has not yet been delivered.

NEVER would men in shorts be permitted on the previous Formal or current Evening Chic nights.

I think we had just decided to push the boat out (no pun intended!) and husband pack a tux but now think he will be better off in something less formal. I on the other hand will still wear my beautiful new sparkly dress!!

My wife enjoys wearing her sparkly dresses also and I enjoy watching her enjoyment so I look forward to wearing my tux. We were a little concerned before our first cruise after X went to "evening chic" or whatever it is called. It was a Caribbean cruise so the casual nature concerned us more. Long story short..I wore my tux and there were plenty of others in tuxes. I like to wear a blazer for dinner on non-formal nights so I had that as a back up. No need for that on either "evening chic" nights and we felt really no different than back in the day during "formal night" No experience here with Alaska cruises but I wouldn't think them to be any more casual than Caribbean cruises.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

OHP

I am just off the same ship, Summit, and I saw men refused entry for wearing shorts consistently.

Thank you.

Keep in mind that you may want to save the packing space for nicer clothes, for layered clothes which will be more practical in Alaska. You can go one place and it can be 35degrees and go to a port stop where it will be 70 degrees. I personally would consider that more important than dressing up for dinner. We did Alaska two years ago when the formal dress was still around and there were very few people in tuxes, many men in suits, more in sport jackets. I am just off the Summit this week and saw two tuxes on the ship the entire week.

Edited by dkjretired

This is where the staff needs to "man' up and enforce at least the minimum. After talking to a few Maître D on Cunard/Celebrity/Princess, their overall response was, the staff's unwillingness to "upset" paying customers. I guess the rest of us who at least try to follow the dress codes don't seem to matter.

We did a Caribbean cruise on the Summit last year. Skipped the MDR on formal nights and dined in Qsine and Normandie because they wouldn't let us into the MDR with my husband wearing long linen shorts, a collector Tommy Bahama shirt and loafers. I had a silk cocktail dress. Felt like if they were going to allow jeans in the MDR it's a little silly to toss you out for wearing tasteful shorts.

We did a Caribbean cruise on the Summit last year. Skipped the MDR on formal nights and dined in Qsine and Normandie because they wouldn't let us into the MDR with my husband wearing long linen shorts, a collector Tommy Bahama shirt and loafers. I had a silk cocktail dress. Felt like if they were going to allow jeans in the MDR it's a little silly to toss you out for wearing tasteful shorts.

Shorts are NOT allowed in the MDR at night. Fully printed in the guide. No need to get into the shorts issue over & over again. When they decide to allow them fine. Until then, NO!

• 2 weeks later...
I am just off the same ship, Summit, and I saw men refused entry for wearing shorts consistently.

On our Summit cruise (5/29), on the first chic night we were at one of those two-tops that is an inch away from another two-top. The gentleman at the adjacent table was indeed in shorts.

Honestly, it didn't bother me much.