Packing for a solo cruise

Cruisfan

I will be cruising solo in a couple of weeks for the first time and wondered if you pack differently. I'm thinking about the weight of the bag, lifting it off the carousel etc. My husband used to do that for us but I will be on my own now. This is a 12 day cruise. Suggestions?

Cruisfan

I will be cruising solo in a couple of weeks for the first time and wondered if you pack differently. I'm thinking about the weight of the bag, lifting it off the carousel etc. My husband used to do that for us but I will be on my own now. This is a 12 day cruise. Suggestions?

Cruisfan

When I became a solo cruiser I became a carryon cruiser. I travel with a 20-22 inch suitcase and a rolling pack back so I can manage my luggage ANYWHERE. This discipline is not for everyone, but I've made it work for me.

I wear sneakers and pack water shoes and folding shoes for formal night. I have one lightweight formal "costume". Lots of mix and match. I send out laundry and/or do hand wash. Toiletries are all put into TSA approved sizes. Different cruises require different packing, so I'm careful to not throw things in just because I might maybe perhaps need it.

This plan has saved me lots of money over the last few years - no airline baggage fees and public transit options instead of car services. I am empowered by my ability to manage my stuff.

It's sort of what I was thinking but wanted confirmation I guess. I'll never see these people again so what if they see the same formal outfit twice. Who cares? This is a Baltic cruise so might be cooler. I think I will plan for jeans, light and regular and layers otherwise, as well as capris/skirts for dinners in the dining room. I will do a dry run next week to see what size suitcase I can get away with. Thanks for replying.

Cruisfan

With rare exceptions, I never travel with more than just airline-approved carry-on luggage (22 inch suitcase + a SMALL daypack). For a cruise longer than 2 weeks I'll purchase additional toiletries AFTER getting done with airport security. And I rely on the ship's laundry as needed.

And I agree, it's empowering to know that you are totally mobile and not dependent on anyone else for transportation or assistance.

Agree - no suitcase should ever be so heavy that you can't manage it yourself - even when travelling with someone else !! Solo even more so.

A single pair of nice black dress pants or long skirt, or a black maxi dress - can be re disguised every night with a colourful top or blouse thrown over, or a bright scarf. Becomes slightly different each night.

I'm a two shoes person for cruise ships and single shoe person for all other travel.

And people vastly over estimate the quantities they use for products. For 6 week trips I squeeze toothpaste into a small contact lens case - more than plenty - much smaller than any tube.

Tiny roll on deodorants - generally at least 20 uses so 1 for a 12 day trip works.

Tip shampoo into a TSA sized bottle this week and count how many uses you get from it til empty - then you know how to measure for your trip. (All my counts for loads of different size containers and different length trips are all in a spreadsheet lol !!!).

If it's a non laundry ship then 12 days of underwear is fine unless you want to do the sink washing. Don't pack laundry liquid or powder - just use the cabin bathroom soap.

Hi, :)I have been sailing solo for many years. I bring one checked bag

and one carry on. From reading the previous postings it looks like I am

in the minority but that is ok with me. We are all different people and

that is what makes the world go round. I have no desire to try and fit

everything in a carry on bag. As for doing this on my own? Both my

bags are on wheels and depending on the activity, getting to the

airport, getting to the hotel, getting to the ship? I do just fine......

if I am using transportation, (cab for example)....well, they are paid

and tiipped to put the luggage in the trunk;) When I fly, if there is a

baggage fee....I include it in the price of my trip.

I guess being empowered means different things to different people.

I feel just fine taking a cab/car service and paying someone to

take me to my destination. I love traveling on my own....bringing

2 pieces of luggage with me doesn't lessen how I feel about myself.

Traveling solo is awesome:)...I still feel good/empowered.

Edited by Lois R

I'm with you, Lois. I figure that part of my travel cost is a handful of small bills for gratuities. Besides, I am a "fluffy" woman (plus-sized), so my clothes (pants, tops, etc.) are larger (and take up more room in my checked bag) than those of some other travelers.

Edited by GotThatCruisingFeeling

I use a 22 inch weekender duffel bag to hold my clothes & shoes plus a backpack for my toiletries & whatever else doesn't fit in my purse. My current Caribbean cruise consists of 14 dresses (6 sundresses for the sundeck / beaches & 8 dresses for the evening time), 2 heavy cardigan sweaters, 4 pairs of shoes, 3 bathing suits and undies all in one duffel bag.

It not just the obstacles you have to worry about (airlines, stairs, walking, etc) but also, how many times do you think you're going to change outfits during the day due to activities / excursions? I found out that the original 8 (evening) dresses I had on my 1st cruise was not enough for a 8 day trip because I was always out and about doing something and then switching to different outfit for the MDR (Literally went through my wardrobe on day 5 :(). So you have to lay out your wardrobe and figure out what you're going to wear for Seadays and Port days while thinking, do you plan to wear the same clothes once or twice to save space?

I'm with you, Lois. I figure that part of my travel cost is a handful of small bills for gratuities. Besides, I am a "fluffy" woman (plus-sized), so my clothes (pants, tops, etc.) are larger (and take up more room in my checked bag) than those of some other travelers.

I'm with you!

In comparison to what we pay for a cruise, the luggage fees on planes is nothing. I don't take a 22" carry-on any more because I am too short to get them in and out of the overhead bins (sometimes there are nice tall people who will help but you can't count on that).

Most airports have luggage trolleys and I have never had trouble getting my luggage off the carousel and through the airport.

I bring clothes to mix and match and send clothes to be cleaned while onboard. I have worn all the clothes I take on all my cruises. My trouble is the other "stuff" that tends to take up a lot of space.:D

Ever since I was a teenager, I've never packed more than I could handle personally - either in number or weight of bags. (That way I could ignore my parents' complaints that I packed too much, telling tell them that I would carry it all myself.....and those were the days before wheels on luggage.)

I usually bring a big giant checked bag...the biggest the airlines will allow. Then I carry on my computer bag and a purse. That has only been a problem a couple times...once when I went to London for a couple days after the cruise and took the Tube between the bus station and my hotel (and back to the airport via Tube)...many tube stations don't have elevators and dragging that giant suitcase was awful. Luckily several nice people helped me carry it down/up the various staircases.

Another time the bus from the airport dropped me off in Seville for a couple-day stay before my cruise, and it was a rather hot day (not to mention I had just come off a transatlantic flight then a second flight from Madrid to Seville with a several hour wait between) and I got lost trying to find my hotel in the old town area with all those twisty streets. That was pretty miserable!

And then there was the time I could not find the bus at the train station nearest the pier in Copenhagen to take me to the pier, so I walked. That day the pull-out handle on my suitcase had broken so I had to drag it by the main handle, which added awkwardness. I got there, but I had serious blisters on my feet from the walk, the heavy bag, and a poor choice of shoes that day. Not a good thing when you are planning to walk around a lot of Baltic ports over the next 12 days!

Long story short: I will likely still travel with that big suitcase but only when I am pretty confident that I won't be stuck dragging it a long way (and DEFINITELY not if I'm planning to travel on the London Tube!) For those situations I will figure out how to travel lighter so I can take a smaller suitcase that's easier to handle. Unless you are as cheap as me, you could hire a taxi in any of the above situations and avoid the problems I ran into! Or, take a smaller suitcase. Or, do what I did and have lots of war stories to tell! :)

I am stopping over in London for a few days prior to a Mediterranean cruise out of Venice. Thanks for the war story. I have also taken the Tube before (with luggage). I was Much younger then and had kids and a husband helping me. I am now going solo ....so I will take your advice and catch a cab or take the Heathrow Express to Paddington station (then catch a cab)!

I just went shopping to look for a smaller bag. Samsonite has a garment bag that measures 15x 21x8.5 and weighs 9 lbs. I must say I am tempted as it looks great and is lighter to tote. Also it's a spinner. Thanks for all your input. It confirms what I thought.

Cruisfan

I travel solo and always check 1 bag (add to the price of the ticket) and take either a large purse or small carryon. The reason for this is I can't lift the carryon up into the luggage rack above the airplane seats. Now that I'm a Senior it's even more difficult. I have paired down what I put in the checked bag so I can handle it myself on land trips, train, etc. but I don't mind paying the baggage charge.

Sue

I always take one checked bag and one carryon - both with wheels (spinners are even better). I'm a chronic overpacker, although I'm getting better. I just want to have options!! I'm also plus-sized, so my clothes just have more fabric.

I was told early on in my career by my (male) boss that I shouldn't ever bring anything I wasn't prepared to deal with myself, which is perfectly fair. Now, how I deal with it is my issue. Sometimes I schlep, sometimes I pay people to schlep for me. And if some young man wants to help get my bag off the carousel if I'm struggling, I am certainly appreciative. If not, I'll figure it out!

Next month will be interesting. My first Alaska cruise, so all cold weather clothes as opposed to shorts and bathing suits. It will still have to fit in one checked bag and one carryon. I'll make it work!!

I actually just bought a new suitcase today. It was one of the GMA deals and steals. Large (31"), lightweight and a spinner. We'll see. My awesome "Mary Poppins" wheeled duffle finally died after my last cruise. I swear, I could put anything into that bag and it took it. But it lasted 15 years, so I got my use out of it!

Oh, and almost EVERYONE will be wearing formal wear more than once - in fact, that goes for non-formal wear, too. No one cares, everyone gets it. And take half the shoes you think you need :)

Now, how I deal with it is my issue. Sometimes I schlep, sometimes I pay people to schlep for me. And if some young man wants to help get my bag off the carousel if I'm struggling, I am certainly appreciative. If not, I'll figure it out!

That's the way I think about it -- I can deal with it on my own, even if how I deal with it is a porter or a cab.

I think my next cruise will be the first time I will check 2 bags. Maybe. It is a 3+ week trip covering Japan through Hawaii and California. Two bigger bags is a bigger deal, though.

I'm also plus-sized, so my clothes just have more fabric.

Next month will be interesting. My first Alaska cruise, so all cold weather clothes as opposed to shorts and bathing suits. It will still have to fit in one checked bag and one carryon. I'll make it work!!

I too am plus-sized and yes our fabric is simply taking up way more space than the skinnyminis. (even more obvious with winter gear!)

I travel for a month at a time in Antarctica on small expedition ships - with parka's, waterproof pants, ski gear, thermals, all the toiletries and medications that could possible be needed (no 711s or pharmacies down there so lots of "just in case" stuff), electronics - multiple cameras, phone, laptop & all relevant batteries and chargers, huge pair of waterproof polar boots weighing over a kilo each, and because its a long trip - my luxury item is my normal full sized pillow (squashed down into a vacuum rollup bag). (Oh and I usually pack snacks too as I have allergies and like to have my own stuff handy).

All that is in checked wheeled duffle bag (except the laptop and main camera) and comes in around 20-21 kilos.

For ocean cruising or any other kind of warm weather holiday - less than 5 days long I do carry-on only as the fabric I will be wearing is lighter weight. More days than that or a winter trip and I take either the wheeled duffle or a small samsonite super light 4 wheel spinner to check in.

My testing use to be when I lived up a flight of stairs - if I couldnt get the case up and down to my own front door - I removed half the gear. 12 years in that particular home ensured I became well practiced at only packing what I myself could handle in any situation.

And there are plenty of countries where no amount of splashing tips in peoples faces are going to get you any kind of assistance so I would never personally rely on that. Also places in Europe where hotels are located in tiny laneways and the taxi has to drop you 800 metres from the door - and you have to tackle wonky cobblestone paths to get there.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a Baltic cruise so might be cooler. I think I will plan for jeans, light and regular and layers otherwise, as well as capris/skirts for dinners in the dining room.

I went to the Baltics in July 2012 and the weather was fantastic (as was the trip!) - shorts & t-shirts every day. I guess it depends when you sail, but I'd definitely plan for some good weather too - layers is a good idea.

Enjoy!

I may have missed it, but one thing I do to lighten my loads it buy on the ship or at the first stop many of the little things I skip packing.

Thus instead of packing it, I buy on-board Aspirin, toothpaste, toothbrush, nail clips, soap (sometimes), razors and other small items.

All the items add up in space and weight, but cost very little to buy in most places.

:p

Cruisfan

It's not just what you pack, but how you pack it! Roll your clothes, you can get so much more in your suitcase. If your flight is an international flight, your once checked bag is free. If you need a bit of help to lift it off the baggage claim carousel, there are plenty of strapping strong guys to assist you. You still have to have room for anything you may buy on your trip to bring home. I am doing a 10 night Med Cruise with 2 nites pre and post cruise and will take one large suitcase and 1 "large purse/tote" as a carry one. I always pack a flat light duffle bag for any purchases if needed for the trip home.

I agree with Southerngirl8.

I never realized how many clothes I can fit into a carry-on until I discovered rolling my clothes and using travel cubes. It also makes unpacking a snap-- each cube contains a certain type of clothing, and goes into a separate drawer.

I also take advantage of the on-ship laundry-- I take far fewer clothes than I used to.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I travel with an underseat carry on. It's small 16x14x12 I think. I also use travel cubes. I fit enough clothes for about a week. Usually wear the biggest space hoggers like jeans, sneakers, etc. on the flight. Black leggings and tunics with flats are my outfits of choice. I am plus size so the clothes take up more space than the average woman. I sink wash and towel dry when needed. I love to travel super light.

Edited by travelingtoes