Mosquitos

vinniega64

I carry OFF Deepwoods towelettes. The only time I have ever needed them was on an trip to the ruins in the rainforest of Belize. Mosquitoes are most active very early in the morning and around dusk. Cruises tend to not be in port at those times.

my wife takes allergic reactions to them, anybody got good advice.....

what do other people take with them on holiday.......

do wristbands, plug ins etc etc really work.......

any advice would be greatly appreciated

We buy "Repel 100" - 100% DEET - Claim is 10 hrs of protection. "OFF" only has 25% DEET.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Notice the OP is from Scotland. Originally from northern England and used to have terrible reaction to mosquito bites, as did my dad when he visited us here in the US. I don't think the UK has many mosquito-type bugs and hence didn't get sensitized much as a child. Got better as the years went on (more bites!)

Anyway, agree with asking doctor for help. If you are just planning to use a bug spray you will find the towlettes are easy to use when traveling. Also, just returned from the Caribbean and bought the "band" to wear because of the new chikungunya virus. The band seemed to work great - put it in a ziploc bag over night to extend the life. Used in Labadee and other islands.

Also may depend where you are traveling to - found the Panama Canal cruise was the worst for flying insects.

Notice the OP is from Scotland. Originally from northern England and used to have terrible reaction to mosquito bites, as did my dad when he visited us here in the US. I don't think the UK has many mosquito-type bugs and hence didn't get sensitized much as a child. Got better as the years went on (more bites!)

Anyway, agree with asking doctor for help. If you are just planning to use a bug spray you will find the towlettes are easy to use when traveling. Also, just returned from the Caribbean and bought the "band" to wear because of the new chikungunya virus. The band seemed to work great - put it in a ziploc bag over night to extend the life. Used in Labadee and other islands.

Also may depend where you are traveling to - found the Panama Canal cruise was the worst for flying insects.

No we don't have many mosquitos...so my poor mother has a terrible time when she comes to visit me in Canada. What we do have in Scotland, especially the west cost, are midges....they are swarms of "no see ems" with teeth. Nasty little biting flies that drive you mad. Other than that, all is good!

15 cruises and never been bit by a mosquito on one. I have been bit here at home and in FL(at night) and they love me, but never on a cruise. They don't fly well so you won't see them at sea and we've just never seen them in the Caribbean, except in the rainforest in Belize and the Off Wipes worked great.

As a Brit I can attest to the midges, and also suffer terribly with mosquito bites...Any bites I have had in the Carribean though have been received on shore, not on ship.

I recently discovered a product, here in Canada, called Mozi-Q, and tried it while in Mexico earlier this year and only got bitten once!!

its a natural product and seemed to do the trick for me.

Guest maddycat

I read a research article last week that said that the bands aren't effective. The article said to use a product that contains Deet.