Options for avoiding formal nights

TheMoores

Sorry mudshark - I was using HAL's definition of what to wear on what they choose to call a formal night, not the true definition of formal which you have cited. The semi-formal night on HAL ships disappeared quite a while back.

I think it's more accurate to say that the formal nights disappeared; the semiformal nights are clearly there, mislabeled "formal."

I think it's more accurate to say that the formal nights disappeared; the semiformal nights are clearly there, mislabeled "formal."
On a typical cruise around 30% to 35% will be dressed truly formal ... more at Main seating than Early ... and more at Fixed seating than Open.

If there were only 1 or 2 lines I would not have said this but the majority of mid-range and many upper range lines have dropped the formal night concept.

Dress-up/Formal nights still prevail on most lines sailing from the US. The following were copied and pasted from the various lines official web sites. :)

RCCL - Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

CCL- Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: jeans, men's sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Princess - When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

•Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

•Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Disney- On 7-night cruises:

• First night is cruise casual

• One themed night

• 3 additional cruise casual nights

One formal and one semi-formal night— Though optional, we recommend for men: dress pants with a jacket or a suit; for women: a dress or pantsuit.

NCL- We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.”

After seeing so many posts/threads about "Do I have to wear a jacket to eat in the MDR?", I must say that I just don't get it. Whether they call it "Formal Night", "Informal Night", "Sunday Best (even on a Tuesday)" or "Dress Up Night", how much effort does it really really take to put on your best bib and tucker (boy does THAT show my age!!!!!). Seriously. I know it is your vacation but that ideology, take a step further, could result in some pretty rude awakenings when shared with other passengers! (For instance -- a good many of us don't put on our "go outside" clothes to get breakfast in our kitchens -- why can't we sit in the Lido in our jammies and bunny slippers?)

I know, that's really stretching it, but I guess I just can't fathom the difficulty in bringing along a blazer and tie and the sheer torture of wearing them for a couple of hours in one week (twice).

I am probably chafing because I am thinking about my dear friend who LOVED to get gussied up (there's that age thing again!). Her husband absolutely REFUSED to wear a suit on a cruise because he did it all his life for work. I couldn't believe how selfish he was to her for a little bit of extra comfort on his end.

So, there are several solutions: Eat in the Lido. Eat in Canaletto. Order room service. Sail on a cruiseline that doesn't make you dress up. But just don't ask that we give up one of the reasons we enjoy sailing on HAL.

It is SUCH a first world problem. Dress up a bit. It won't kill you -- I PROMISE. And now -- stand back -- flame away.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for three out of four weeks in November & December. The dress code was enforced in the Main Dining Room. People in the Pinnacle Grill and the Tamarind were pretty dressy as well.

We saw people turned away without proper attire, so be very wary of people who tell you that there's no dress code.(Hopefully Cruz Chic, Sapper1, Shrimpboat123, and others will back me up on this.)

Yup, agree 100 %.

A rose by any other name ...

With a 40-lb limitation on baggage, it is not practical to bring along a tux (black tie by any other name) especially on a longish cruise.

I always bring along a black or dark blue suit and a necktie for those occasions requiring one.

I even commit the sin of just wearing the coat sans tie on non-formal nights in the MDR.

If you don't wear shorts and a tee-shirt to church or a funeral or a wedding or a fancy restaurant, why shouldn't you at least dress for the occasion shipboard?

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for three out of four weeks in November & December. The dress code was enforced in the Main Dining Room. People in the Pinnacle Grill and the Tamarind were pretty dressy as well.

We saw people turned away without proper attire, so be very wary of people who tell you that there's no dress code.(Hopefully Cruz Chic, Sapper1, Shrimpboat123, and others will back me up on this.)

Agree with POA1. On one of the Casual nights in the MDR, we saw a gentleman turned away for wearing shorts. So they do enforce the dress code the majority of the time.

I asked the PG Manager why a gentleman was allowed into the PG the night we were there on a formal night. He had no jacket and no tie. He said his luggage was lost. :)

Here's one that might bake your noodle:

On my '99 Transatlantic, the Lido wasn't even open on Formal nights. The Pinnacle Grill and the other alternative restaurants hadn't been invented yet, so if you wanted dinner you had exactly two choices: Dress up like a civilised human being and go down to dinner with the rest of your fellow passengers, or eat room service in your cabin.

Back in those days, it was penguins and party dresses as far as the eye could see. Oh, and I loved it. I actually brought two dinner jackets (black and white) on that one.

After that, the Lido started being open all the time. Then they added the Pinnacle. Then Canaletto. Then this newfangled "anytime dining" thing. Madness, I tell you!

Taking a slight detour, I have to say that the thing I probably miss most about "the good old days" was how the evening meal was a social occasion and in a way, part of the entertainment. It was your big chance to see (and be seen by) all your fellow guests. Who wouldn't want to look their best for that?

Now, dinnertime is just another opportunity to stuff (more) food into one's face, with very little pomp and circumstance left to it.

All that said, I'm right on board (no pun intended) with the others here who have said that Formal nights (vestigial though they may be) and a generally more refined atmosphere, are a major part of the reason I continue to choose HAL. If that went away... er, let's not think about it, eh?

P.S. - The dress code is (or at least was) supposed to be observed throughout the ship's public areas for the entire evening. It's not just a dinner thing.

Here's one that might bake your noodle:

On my '99 Transatlantic, the Lido wasn't even open on Formal nights. The Pinnacle Grill and the other alternative restaurants hadn't been invented yet, so if you wanted dinner you had exactly two choices: Dress up like a civilised human being and go down to dinner with the rest of your fellow passengers, or eat room service in your cabin.

Back in those days, it was penguins and party dresses as far as the eye could see. Oh, and I loved it. I actually brought two dinner jackets (black and white) on that one.

After that, the Lido started being open all the time. Then they added the Pinnacle. Then Canaletto. Then this newfangled "anytime dining" thing. Madness, I tell you!

Taking a slight detour, I have to say that the thing I probably miss most about "the good old days" was how the evening meal was a social occasion and in a way, part of the entertainment. It was your big chance to see (and be seen by) all your fellow guests. Who wouldn't want to look their best for that?

Now, dinnertime is just another opportunity to stuff (more) food into one's face, with very little pomp and circumstance left to it.

All that said, I'm right on board (no pun intended) with the others here who have said that Formal nights (vestigial though they may be) and a generally more refined atmosphere, are a major part of the reason I continue to choose HAL. If that went away... er, let's not think about it, eh?

Thanks for saying what many of us would like to say!

We do the same on HAL as we do on other lines. We simply skip the MDR on formal nights and dine elsewhere. Lido or Canaletto.

It is not a big deal to us as formal dinner in the MDR have lost their appeal to us..no longer very special. And not very formal either unless you consider sports jackets or cocktail dresses/pants/sparkly tops as formal wear.

We do not stay in our cabin all night. We are out and about in the lounges, shows, stores, etc. We see more and more people changing into casual clothing these days after dressing for dinner in the MDR so you will hardly be alone.

Edited by iancal

Thank you for the information. I guess I didn't realize what a hot button this topic was. You would have thought I tacked a post on someone's thread about smoking. I know never to touch that one with a 10' pole. We'll do what we feel is appropriate and have a good time while we're at it. This conversation is just getting to hot for me to handle so I'll just fade away and wish you all a grand time on your cruise.

Karen

Don't flame me for saying this but I was very dismayed that the guest at the next table not only did not put any effort into dressing nicer but he was wearing old jeans and an Ultimate Fight Club T-shirt. He was allowed entry with no problem at all.

I am quite surprised at this. Mind you my experience was back in 2012, but two young men (cannot call them gentlemen due to their foul language) were turned away from the MDR on formal night due to wearing jeans. As already indicated, they did not go away sheepishly.

[quote name='take us away']Sorry but I disagree with you as most people follow the dress code on formal nights. There are always the exceptions who do not follow the guidelines and try to eat in the MDR. Have seen allowances made (a gentleman was in a wheelchair and had additional medical issues that were apparent) and people turned away on a Caribbean cruise in early Dec last year. (YEAH). We were seated close to the door so watched people come in as part of our pre-dinner enjoyment.

As someone said - they will get flamed for their comment - so here goes. Many people love HAL BECAUSE of the formal nights and if you object to formal nights, there are many other cruise lines to chose from who do not have formal nights. If there were only 1 or 2 lines I would not have said this but the majority of mid-range and many upper range lines have dropped the formal night concept. Also as many have already mentioned, you can get anything from the MDR menu from room service and most are served in the Lido. So for those of us who enjoy formal nights - please use one of your many options and leave the formal nights alone![/quote]
I agree with you, We enjoy formal nights, I also have my tux :):)

[quote name='Blue Mudshark']I stand by my claim, the majority of people don't wear formal wear.[/quote]Granted, but the OP didn't ask that. They want to know if the majority follow the dress code. The answer is "yes".

I think the number of people following dress code on formal nights has a great deal to do with which cruise you are on, and which half of the dining room you are in.

7 day cruises in North America and the Caribbean tend to have far fewer people dressed formally than longer cruises, or cruises in Europe and Australia-Pacific. Fixed seating tends to have more people in formal wear than people at open seating.

For those dealing with luggage limits, renting your formal wear is a fantastic option--my partner uses it regularly--the tux is always there in the cabin at embarkation, any last minute tailoring is dealt with quickly, and there is nothing to pack or unpack.

[quote name='threeedogmedia']Thank you for the information. I guess I didn't realize what a hot button this topic was. You would have thought I tacked a post on someone's thread about smoking. I know never to touch that one with a 10' pole. We'll do what we feel is appropriate and have a good time while we're at it. This conversation is just getting to hot for me to handle so I'll just fade away and wish you all a grand time on your cruise.
Karen[/quote]

O' yea, dress code is right there with smoking and the wine policy.

We choose not to partake in formal nights. Living in Wy I can't tell you the last time I saw a man in a suit. The only time I have seen anyone in a tux is for prom. Jeans, sport coat and a cowboy hat are considered formal attire for anything that happens in town(weddings, funerals and church included). So, we don't own the clothes and wouldn't waste the money renting them. We are totally happy eating elsewhere. Oh, and I will pit my cowboy against any of your tuxedo clad gents when it comes to what catches a lady's eye! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[quote name='visagrunt']I think the number of people following dress code on formal nights has a great deal to do with which cruise you are on, and which half of the dining room you are in.

7 day cruises in North America and the Caribbean tend to have far fewer people dressed formally than longer cruises, or cruises in Europe and Australia-Pacific. Fixed seating tends to have more people in formal wear than people at open seating.

For those dealing with luggage limits, renting your formal wear is a fantastic option--my partner uses it regularly--the tux is always there in the cabin at embarkation, any last minute tailoring is dealt with quickly, and there is nothing to pack or unpack.[/QUOTE]

I have been doing open for the last several cruises. I have not noticed people dressing less formally in open. I did a b2b caribbean in November. People were dressed very nice on that cruise.

My DW truly enjoys getting all dressed up so I will topple mountains to make her vacation special. So when you see us dressed to the nines and you are dresses in sub semi-formal attire in the MDR you are ruining our ambience and I will be that a$$ that will come over and comment that you can't follow simple instructions and are less than the stuff I scrape off my shoes. I understand you don't want to dress up and that's fine just eat some place else.... They're many other choices to choose from... Of course this is just my opinion... Happy Cruising and Go HAL!!!

[quote name='fireman845']My DW truly enjoys getting all dressed up so I will topple mountains to make her vacation special. So when you see us dressed to the nines and you are dresses in sub semi-formal attire in the MDR you are ruining our ambience and I will be that a$$ that will come over and comment that you can't follow simple instructions and are less than the stuff I scrape off my shoes. I understand you don't want to dress up and that's fine just eat some place else.... They're many other choices to choose from... Of course this is just my opinion... Happy Cruising and Go HAL!!![/QUOTE]

While I wouldn't approach another guest who is not making the effort to dress appropriately, I would be the one who would ask the Dining Room Manager why that person was allowed in the MDR instead of being directed to the Lido.

Bless you for making the effort for your wife. As I posted before, I never understood how my friend's husband could be so selfish as to not wear a suit for a few hours on two evenings when his wife loved dressing up so much. In daily life (off-ship), she is always dressed so nicely -- nice hairdo and lovely makeup -- which I'm sure he enjoyed. But he couldn't make the effort to wear a suit two days out of the year for her.

[quote name='take us away']Sorry but I disagree with you as most people follow the dress code on formal nights. There are always the exceptions who do not follow the guidelines and try to eat in the MDR. Have seen allowances made (a gentleman was in a wheelchair and had additional medical issues that were apparent) and people turned away on a Caribbean cruise in early Dec last year. (YEAH). We were seated close to the door so watched people come in as part of our pre-dinner enjoyment.

As someone said - they will get flamed for their comment - so here goes. Many people love HAL BECAUSE of the formal nights and if you object to formal nights, there are many other cruise lines to chose from who do not have formal nights. If there were only 1 or 2 lines I would not have said this but the majority of mid-range and many upper range lines have dropped the formal night concept. Also as many have already mentioned, you can get anything from the MDR menu from room service and most are served in the Lido. So for those of us who enjoy formal nights - please use one of your many options and leave the formal nights alone![/quote]

You are correct about people wanting a night dedicated to dressing formally or semi-formally for dinner. My husband and I have taken several cruises with the line dedicated to doing whatever, whenever, so there was no dedicated formal night, really. More like a picture night, and some wore evening clothes but there were t-shirts and cargo shorts too. I want to experience formal night, and part of that is a certain ambiance. I feel that the tradition of setting aside certain evenings to dress for dinner in one or more venues preserves that experience of elegance. So that was one reason we decided to try HAL in the Spring.

Lorie