Delta, first class upgrade!

rjack22

I am so excited! Yesterday I was able to buy an upgrade from EC to F for only $53.61 pp for the entire trip! Yep, both ways roundtrip. With the perk of free luggage that we are now entitled to we pretty much broke even since the luggage fees would have been $100. That perk alone made it worthwhile not to mention all the other perks.

So if you have a reservation on Delta keep your eye on the upgrade opportunities. You may be lucky too!

I am so excited! Yesterday I was able to buy an upgrade from EC to F for only $53.61 pp for the entire trip! Yep, both ways roundtrip. With the perk of free luggage that we are now entitled to we pretty much broke even since the luggage fees would have been $100. That perk alone made it worthwhile not to mention all the other perks.

So if you have a reservation on Delta keep your eye on the upgrade opportunities. You may be lucky too!

That's an amazing total price...what are your dates of travel, routing and were you just checking your already booked flights and saw the option ?

Edited by Ashland

It is becoming more and more common for DL to sell domestic upgrades. Some call it "first class monetization." Delta recently had an executive state that DL wants to pretty dramatically increase the number of first class seats that they sell (vs. give away for free to elites).

When we booked our flight from DTW to FLL we were also offered the upgrade from economy to first class for 79 each way and grabbed it. We were going to upgrade to EC anyway.

The next day the offer was 350 each way for the same upgrade. It went as high as 732, but is now 408.

When we booked our flight from DTW to FLL we were also offered the upgrade from economy to first class for 79 each way and grabbed it. We were going to upgrade to EC anyway.

The next day the offer was 350 each way for the same upgrade. It went as high as 732, but is now 408.

How does Delta make those offers--online at their website or on the phone?

I'd like to know how close to when you bought your ticket did you fly and did you do it online?

When I saw a first class ticket that was reasonable and already had an economy ticket purchased, Delta said they would have to charge me $200 to change it in addition to the difference in price. I didn't upgrade to first class.

Our flights are on Feb. 26 and returning on March 9, 2015. Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale non-stop.

I purchased our airfare back in April and shortly thereafter upgraded to Economy Comfort for $49 pp each way. So that was about $200 added. I figured Economy Comfort would be as good as we could get.

The upgrades are offered to you on their website when you log in and check on your booking. I check my booking almost daily because they have already changed the aircraft once and when they did that we lost our seat assignments because the configuration was so different. Fortunately I caught is and selected new seats. The next change was a time change. That made no difference but again I caught it right away because I check often. I have been watching the upgrade offers.

Several months ago I saw the same deal for the $53.61 upgrade to 1st class but I thought it was for each flight, not roundtrip so I did nothing. After that the upgrade offer went way up and I was kicking myself for not getting it anyway when I had the chance. Then two days ago I saw it again for the $53.61 pp and decided to call and ask if it was truly the "whole trip" or just each flight. I could have just upgraded myself online but I wanted to ask the question about roundtrip. I was sure it was too good to be true. To my shock and amazement the representative said it was for the whole trip, round trip! She asked if I wanted to upgrade. Are you kidding, of course I want to upgrade! So it cost us $107.22 to upgrade. I didn't even realize at the time that first class gets free luggage. Our luggage would have cost us $100 so for $7.22 more are flying first class!!!!

I was sure I had missed my opportunity when I first saw the $53.61 but it came back. So check your booking frequently and look for the upgrade offer. Diligence pays off!

Edited by rjack22

Thanks for the reply! I wish our trip last June would have had that offer without the charge they said I'd have to pay! I check my bookings all the time because Delta is good at changing aircraft, seats and times. Nothing like that came up and I was logged in.

I'm looking for a Detroit to San Juan flight and did a mock booking and they offered an upgrade to First Class but it totaled what they were showing as the regular first class price, so no real upgrade! Is this something new Delta is doing?

And in their pursuit of that incremental dollar, they are in the process of losing my entire air travel spending. Somehow, someone at DL thinks that's a good idea. I think that Alaska and AA will enjoy its effects on me.

UA is just as bad.

And in their pursuit of that incremental dollar, they are in the process of losing my entire air travel spending. Somehow, someone at DL thinks that's a good idea. I think that Alaska and AA will enjoy its effects on me.

Whatever DL does UA follows like a puppy. Getting a free upgrade on UA these days is next to impossible, unless you are a 1k or GS. I'll be switching my flying to AA next year and hoping AA(US) keeps the "sticker" system. At least that way one has a chance for an upgrade. (Plus the perk of partner airline fights counting towards my MM total. A long flight in Premium Econ on CX,BA or QF sounds much better than AA coach. :eek: )

Whatever DL does UA follows like a puppy. Getting a free upgrade on UA these days is next to impossible, unless you are a 1k or GS. I'll be switching my flying to AA next year and hoping AA(US) keeps the "sticker" system. At least that way one has a chance for an upgrade. (Plus the perk of partner airline fights counting towards my MM total. A long flight in Premium Econ on CX,BA or QF sounds much better than AA coach. :eek: )

I'm glad I'm off the FF carousel. I'm just a lowly kettle these days.

FlyerTalker - the two worst long flights I've ever had were DFW-LHR and LHR-LAX in cattle class on AA. Avoid at all costs!!!

Please, I've heard this term before. What is a "kettle"?

How can I put this nicely....It is an insult. It is a reference to the old Ma and Pa Kettle movies, some of the "hollier than thou" high milage frequent fliers have bestowed upon those that don't fly much and don't have everything down to a science during the whole airport/flying experience.

I'm glad I'm off the FF carousel. I'm just a lowly kettle these days.

FlyerTalker - the two worst long flights I've ever had were DFW-LHR and LHR-LAX in cattle class on AA. Avoid at all costs!!!

I got silver this year on UA just because my travel was much easier (direct flights from Houston) on them for where I needed/wanted to go. Going forward I am looking at just paying the extra cash for a better experience (premium econ or biz class tix). That is one advantage of Houston...pretty much EVERYBODY flies to/from here. (might involve connections but so be it.)

I think most of you all got the definition of a kettle wrong. It is someone who is totally unfamilar with air travel procedure and hence holds up the line.

Examples: getting to security and still have a belt on, jewellery and chains and all sorts of metallic jangely stuff that sets off the WTMD, getting onto the plane and stopping to check each and every row number when their seat might be 43F or some such....

Sprinkle in a few kettles and that can really put a crimp in the already slow flow of the whole airport process.

Given what Flyertalker has inferred about his travel pattern he's doing enough to earn EXP. So 6 upgrade vouchers and Main Cabin Extra privileges gratis, but sounds like a J or F travel policy anyways.

Not everyone flies economy ;)

Whatever DL does UA follows like a puppy. Getting a free upgrade on UA these days is next to impossible, unless you are a 1k or GS. I'll be switching my flying to AA next year and hoping AA(US) keeps the "sticker" system.

Good luck with that. One AA/US are fully integrated, watch for changes to the FF program. Doug Parker isn't going to give something away if DL and UA are both charging for it.

I think most of you all got the definition of a kettle wrong. It is someone who is totally unfamilar with air travel procedure and hence holds up the line.

I think only one person actually answered the question of what a kettle is, and they basically said the said thing you did. They just added that the term is a reference to Ma and Pa Kettle... i.e. folks that are, shall we say, less sophisticated/experienced when it comes to (in this specific case) airline travel.

Examples: getting to security and still have a belt on, jewellery and chains and all sorts of metallic jangely stuff that sets off the WTMD, getting onto the plane and stopping to check each and every row number when their seat might be 43F or some such....

Sprinkle in a few kettles and that can really put a crimp in the already slow flow of the whole airport process.

Seems how I am the only one who answered it, what exactly did I get wrong? :confused:

Good luck with that. One AA/US are fully integrated, watch for changes to the FF program. Doug Parker isn't going to give something away if DL and UA are both charging for it.

Of course. Hopefully they will follow them in at least adding the seats with extra legroom to all the US birds and add more to the AA birds (MCE or whatever AA's name for it is). Upgrades I think AA has it right, they don't give free upgrades to everybody under the 100k mile mark, they make you use those 500 mile "stickers".....but who knows they all seem to be just going to the short term fix for cash and not looking at the long term benefit of having loyal pax. If you give me a better product and experience I will be more than happy to use your airline and even pay a little more for it.