All ashore that's going ashore.

PrevailingConditions

What do you take ashore when visiting a foreign port? Photo I.D.? Cruise Card? Passport? U.S. Currency? Foreign Currency? etc. If you take foreign currency where do you exchange your U.S. dollars for local currency? We are booked for Princess 15 day Full Transit Panama Canal cruise. Aruba, Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Mexico ports of call.

Edited by PrevailingConditions

What do you take ashore when visiting a foreign port? Photo I.D.? Cruise Card? Passport? U.S. Currency? Foreign Currency? etc. If you take foreign currency where do you exchange your U.S. dollars for local currency?

Well it really depends on the country. Maybe you could advise additional information, and someone will be able to help. You Always need the cruise card to get off and on the ship.

Edited by sknight

Just take American dollars , drivers license. (For the ports you indicated).

In Europe take passport(if the ship indicates needed). Always some kind of ID. Also take a credit card in case we miss the ship and have to go somewhere to meet it (never has happened but you never know).

Foreign currency too.

I usually take a driver's license, some cash and a credit card. My husband takes the same, but a different credit card. In ports that are not in the caribbean we also take photo copies of our passports although some ports require you to take your actual passport. We always leave our passports in the safe unless required by the country you are visiting. And of course... the cruise card.

I take a photocopy of my passport and leave the actual passport in safe unless country insists you have your actual pp on you, I take a photo i.d. (driver's license), cruise card to get back on ship, copy of my travel medical insurance card should I get sick or injured while off the ship, credit card for most purchases, some US$ for incidentals when travelling in USA, Caribbean, Mexico. If I'm going to Europe - then I get Euros - Bank at home gives the best exchange (and everything else goes on credit card - much easier and safer than carrying a lot of different currencies). If you really need to get some local currency - look for an ATM once you are in port.

Edited by cpcanuck

Agree with the above posters but would add the idea of taking small US bills as change is usually given in the local currency. For the ports you are going to I would suggest getting $50 or so in ones. You can always add them together if you need more and they are great for small tips which are always appreciated. I usually hit the bank pre cruise as it is easier and saves time.

I bring my passport card, a credit card and US$ on cruises in North America. I bring foreign currency only for countries where US$ are not accepted or inconvenient, or if I'm taking a private tour and the tour operator doesn't accept credit cards or US$.

All of your ports accept US dollars. You should alway have ID on you...your DL is the same size as your ship's key, so take your DL....none of your ports require a passport from cruise passengers to go ashore.

Take whatever else might be specific to what you'll be doing. If you're on a water activity, take your pool towels and wear your swimsuit under your shorts!

I take my cruise card - the contents of my wallet (not much left in it). I usually will use a credit card (Capital One) to pay for things on shore, since there is not any foreign transaction fees with Capital One. We usually take very little cash with us when we travel. Usually enough for tips.