Prescription Meds

klfrodo

Flying from US into London, staying 2 days, then flying into Venice

Prescription Meds??

Original Bottle with label only?

Out of original bottle and in day planner with "copies of prescription"?

Out of original bottle and in day planner but must have original prescription?

Side Note: Some countries have regulations against the possession of some drugs and it does not matter whether you have a prescription or not? (UAE comes to mind). Any issues with UK, or Italy?

Thanks

Prescription Meds??

Side Note: Some countries have regulations against the possession of some drugs and it does not matter whether you have a prescription or not? (UAE comes to mind). Any issues with UK, or Italy?

Thanks

I would take the original bottle and a copy of the prescription as well.

Some countries like to see the original container.

Prescription Meds??

Thanks

Trip #39 to London coming up and never was asked for anything nor does anyone check your melds. Ours are all in small day at a time very small plastic bags and Prescription antibiotics and the like in original bottles.

Trip #39 to London coming up and never was asked for anything nor does anyone check your melds.
I can't immediately find the official advice about this, but practical experience suggests that for the UK, a copy of the prescription will do even in the highly unlikely event that you get asked about this. In 40 years of regular flying to/from the UK, I think I've only ever been asked once.

Officially, per U.S. State Department, original containers with labels.

Reality, I've only done that for long trips. And never had a bag checked other than throwing away a U.S. legal 4 ounce (120 ml) bottle of saline and having to spend £10 on a 100ml EU legal replacement.

HOWEVER, if you have an opioid pain med or benzodiazepine (Valium), or any other scheduled drug, carry it in the original container.

There is a list of controlled drugs like the opioids that markeb mentions that require you to have certain information to bring them into the UK for a period of less than 3 months, for a longer period more complicated rules apply.

https://www.gov.uk/travelling-controlled-drugs

You need a letter from you Doctor confirming your name, your travel itinerary, the drugs you take and the doses of those drugs.

The UK Government also advises such a letter should be carried for non controlled drugs as well.

You probably will not need it but carrying a letter would be better if you ever were stopped.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

Prescription Meds??

Thanks

Official policy and reality are somewhat different. I suspect the age and appearance of the traveler have something to do with the behavior of officials in response to an x-ray image of a pill bottle or a day planner.

I read the OP's post as if it were something from a time warp. I know he/she is absolutely right that we're all supposed to travel with documentation that the pills we've packed are legitimate. But my experience says this is unnecessary. Years ago, when I began using a day planner for my RX pills, I stopped traveling with my medicine in the original bottles and I don't think I've ever brought a copy of all the scripts. I've been packing this way long enough I had actually forgotten the OP is absolutely right and I'm theoretically inviting trouble by my approach. Nevertheless, I'm not likely to change my ways until some experience tells me I need to do so. (I've never traveled to UAE, but I've made about 10 trips each to both UK and Italy.)

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

These rules are in place to catch drug smugglers. For a regular person with a reasonable quantity of prescription drugs for personal use, they shouldn't go mad. If you're carrying a bottle with four Valium tablets, it is not likely to be a problem. If you're carrying a box of 1000, they'll want to know why.

How many of us document our nice watches, cameras and jewellery before leaving our home countries? In theory we are supposed to, so that we are not suspected of trying to avoid paying duty or smuggling expensive items in for sale. But since I don't have multiple Rolexes, (or even one!) or a dozen pairs of diamond earrings, I don't bother.

I would be comfortable travelling most places (with obvious exceptions like the UAE) with just a copy of the prescription, since it's easy to get and to carry, but everyone's comfort level is different.

Canada requires all persisting med school to be in their original packing with a label from the pharmacy attached.

I have had them check my prescriptions . They spot check for drugs and other products that are banded in Canada.

I don't wish to be rude, but I wonder what 'meds' you were taking when you typed this

Original bottle is not necessary. I would bring a copy of the prescription just to be on the safe side.

Keith

I agree with this. If you have the misfortune to have lost your meds or had them stolen. It is possible in the UK to go to a local Doctors Surgery and ask to be put on their list as a Temporary Resident. They would then be able to give you a Private Prescription for what you consequently need as a result of your loss during your visit. An US prescription describing precisely what you generally are taking is vital in facilitating this unlikely to be needed process which will be fairly inexpensive.

Regards John