Steamers are being confiscated

LisaFL

Just wanted to let people know that clothes steamers are now being confiscated along with irons. We returned yesterday from the Monarch at Port Canaveral, and ours was taken when we were boarding. I mentioned to the security person that we've always taken a steamer, and he said there have been too many fires from steamers lately and they are now banned :(

Confiscations out of S. FL seem to be up. Iv had my wine openers taken in Miami and a small 6 ft extension cord taken in Ft. Lauderdale (where I saw them confiscate a wooden walking cane).

Im going to be boarding again Saturday .. not taking anything questionable this time I hope.

(where I saw them confiscate a wooden walking cane).

Huh!:confused: Mobility assistance devices are ADA protected. Of course if the handle detaches revealing a knife or something that's a different thing. But plain solid wooden cane, such as my wife uses, would certainly be cause for an argument if "confiscated". They do always take it to x-ray the cane but she always gets it back.

I just returned from Explorer on Sunday morning. I took a steamer, and they didn't take it. I also took a case of water that made it to my room. Nothing was confiscated from our luggage.

We are sailing Explorer 3/9/12 and want to also take water. Did you just put the case of water in your checked luggage?

We are sailing Explorer 3/9/12 and want to also take water. Did you just put the case of water in your checked luggage?

We put the case of water in a duffle bag. We shoved shoes in there, too. I was worried because when my son lifted the water to put it in the bag, the plastic ripped on one side. But it made it through just fine.

Just wanted to let people know that clothes steamers are now being confiscated along with irons. We returned yesterday from the Monarch at Port Canaveral, and ours was taken when we were boarding. I mentioned to the security person that we've always taken a steamer, and he said there have been too many fires from steamers lately and they are now banned :(

"Too many" fires? So just a few fires are ok? They have a quota for onboard fires? :confused:

I would have thought there'd be more fires onboard from teenage girls leaving their hair straighteners plugged in! :rolleyes:

I was very surprised to see a candle. The couple we dined with most nights celebrated their 49th anniversary. Our waitress brought out cheesecake with a lit candle. And matches or lighters for the smokers? I'd think that would be a fire hazard?

I would have thought there'd be more fires onboard from teenage girls leaving their hair straighteners plugged in! :rolleyes:

I'm a long way from being a teenager, but if hair straightners become banned, then I'd be too scary looking to come out of my cabin and would have to find an alternate way to vacation in the future!

I was very surprised to see a candle. The couple we dined with most nights celebrated their 49th anniversary. Our waitress brought out cheesecake with a lit candle. And matches or lighters for the smokers? I'd think that would be a fire hazard?

I don't think a little birthday candle is much to worry about.

Years ago, the head waiter would make baked Alaska in front of you. Now that was dangerous IMO

OMG

I use my daughters CHI to put seams in pants and sleeves, and touch-ups, not the best of ironing, but not too bad.

What next-----

The power to the cabin will be turned off when not in use, like some hotels that you have to place your room key in the holder for the main power to go on.

Instead of save the whales, it will be save the ship.

Safe travels.

By the way I am pro-safety on a ship, and do not want any harm to come to anyone in the event someone leaves on any type of heating element. We double and triple check any plug in appliances in put them in a drawer once cool, out of site. That way we know they are unplugged.

Safe travels.

I just returned from Explorer on Sunday morning. I took a steamer, and they didn't take it. I also took a case of water that made it to my room. Nothing was confiscated from our luggage.

We brought our steamer and water also and a bottle of wine for in room consumption (which we never opened as we had the wine package and went for pre dinner wine in the diamond lounge). We gave the wine to our room steward.

OMG

I use my daughters CHI to put seams in pants and sleeves, and touch-ups, not the best of ironing, but not too bad.

What next-----

The power to the cabin will be turned off when not in use, like some hotels that you have to place your room key in the holder for the main power to go on.

Instead of save the whales, it will be save the ship.

Safe travels.

By the way I am pro-safety on a ship, and do not want any harm to come to anyone in the event someone leaves on any type of heating element. We double and triple check any plug in appliances in put them in a drawer once cool, out of site. That way we know they are unplugged.

Safe travels.

Don't give them ideas!! Carnival are already doing that on their newer ships

Don't give them ideas!! Carnival are already doing that on their newer ships

Disney too. BUt we solved that by bringing an extra card from a previous cruise or hotel key worked too.

I remember the days of Baked Alaska on fire dancing around the MDR on the server's head. Yea, that's gotta be a bit more dangerous than your steamer. :p

Funny thing is, the new power outlet they installed on the desktop in Allure's cabins is essentially a power strip. If you look under the desk you can see the original outlet that was difficult to reach on Oasis.

I am skeptical that there were any steamer fires at all on Monarch. I know that when she was in LA, they were confiscating flatirons (for hair) for awhile. I think the outrage from the frizzie brigade (of which I'm a card-carrying member) made them reverse that decision.

We'll see what happens in a few weeks...

The ban of irons and steamers have nothing to do with causing a fire. Most irons today have timers and auto shutoff.

They are banned for 3 reasons.

1. People are careless and melt the bed spread, chairs and floor.

2. The cabins electrical system can easily be overloaded and breakers tripped if you are running a hair dryer and iron / steamer at the same time.

3. Generate revenue by items getting sent out for pressing.

We were just on the Oasis Nov 12. I pressed and starched all of our clothes before packing. When we unpacked, I had packed a small empty spray bottle, I filled it with water and spritzed any wrinkles in our clothes, smoothed by hand and hung them in the closet. All of our clothes were wrinkle free!

On our sailing last month they were confiscating steamers and YES they were selling steamers in the general store, talk about double standards.

hehe.......I was thinking about our FR cruise when I read this thread..

Archived