Flying in the day before vs. not?

iujen94

I've read some opinions on this board suggesting that you fly in to your port city the day before your cruise leaves. I'm wondering if most people think this is REALLY necessary? We are sailing on RCCL Allure of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale March 31 - April 7. Our ship is supposed to leave port at 5pm on March 31, and we can fly in on a nonstop JetBlue flight (from Raleigh) that arrives in Fort Lauderdale at 11:48am. It will be DH, me, DS6 and DS9, and it just seems like such a hassle to pack a separate bag for one night in Fort Lauderdale, unpack, repack (and mess with wet bathing suits, I'm sure), etc. Just curious as to people's opinions. Thanks!

We ALWAYS fly in the day before. With all of the flight cancellations and delays these days, it just makes more sense. Remember, you're on vacation. There's nothing like a relaxing morning getting to the port. No rush rush for me.

Joe<------Just got off the Oasis last week. :)

How many flights does Jet Blue have on the 31st that will get you on board by 3:30? Jet Blue does not interline and if that is your only option I would look elsewhere. It may be that the weather will be fine and the flight will operate as scheduled. Is it a risk you are willing to take?

I fly to RDU often and Delta would be my first choice because of their more frequent service. Don't know what Southwest has to offer but they probably have more flights through Tampa or other hubs than Jet Blue. Lately Southwest has been higher than Delta but you get the free luggage.

I am also going to be in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area around the same time and 3* hotels are averaging $150, give or take.

I would still recommend you and your family fly down the day/evening before the cruise. I'd wager the boys would really hate to miss the cruise.

I was surprised when my travel agent recommended flying into the embarkation city the day of the cruise, but I decided instead to fly in the day before. Mine is a transatlantic cruise, so if I did have a problem and missed the embarkation, the first port (to join the ship) is 8 days away. And I get a day to see Miami.

It's only one night in a hotel and a whole world less stress. You don't have to completely unpack/repack. Wet swimsuits go in a plastic bag in the suitcase and will get wet again very quickly once the kids hit the pool on the ship. Knowing how flights can be delayed or cancelled it's just too risky IMO.

This is a very hotly discussed topic as I'm sure you're aware of on these boards....The majority of poster's are adamently opposed to arriving day of cruise....However I'm not one of them....Nice for those that will never have to make this choice...but for many of us that can at times not be an option...I wonder if those that say they will never, would just opt to not cruise...I'll take my chances and usually do on a redeye non-stop with an early arrival....Chances are you'll be fine...I've done the LAX-FLL in mid March for our yearly eastern caribbean for the last several years...Many will say I've just been lucky...but you can be lucky too...Enjoy :)

I've read some opinions on this board suggesting that you fly in to your port city the day before your cruise leaves. I'm wondering if most people think this is REALLY necessary? We are sailing on RCCL Allure of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale March 31 - April 7. Our ship is supposed to leave port at 5pm on March 31, and we can fly in on a nonstop JetBlue flight (from Raleigh) that arrives in Fort Lauderdale at 11:48am. It will be DH, me, DS6 and DS9, and it just seems like such a hassle to pack a separate bag for one night in Fort Lauderdale, unpack, repack (and mess with wet bathing suits, I'm sure), etc. Just curious as to people's opinions. Thanks!

The issue comes down to risk.

If your flights is significantly delayed or cancelled you could miss the ship.

What can go wrong?

Flight just outright cancelled.

Weather

Mechanical Issues

Insufficient Flight Personnel

Airline Computer Glitch

FAA Technical issue such as Radar

Airport Security Breach

Airplane Security Breach

Shutdown of Airport

Shutdown of all Flights

Flight Delay

Does this happen? Yes.

It might only happen 5% of the time but if your 5% up comes up you have a major problem.

I flew extensively over the years for my career flying almost every week. I guess I saw so much that could and did go wrong that I always fly in a day or more ahead of time.

Again, it comes down to risk and I just don't want to take the chance.

You have to decide for yourself.

Keith

It is a lot less hassle than spending several days of your vacation trying to catch up with the ship. Or, even worse, going home if you do not have a passport and would have to fly to another country.

With Jet Blue, if there is a problem with that flight, and they can not get you on another JB flight, if there is one, they do not move you to another airline. So if you need to fly out that morning I suggest flying out on the first flight out, non stop. If the flight you mentioned is the first, I would fly in the day before. Weather can be a problem amoung other things. You dont want the stress if there are issues. :)

As Keith said, it's about how much risk is involved (and how much you can accept), and your ability to make adjustments if things don't go as planned:

Are you flying into or out of an airport at a time of year when weather might reasonably cause delays? Flying out of LA in August is very different than flying out of Chicago in January, for instance.

Are you flying a route with a lot of other flight options in case your flight is cancelled or seriously delayed? Flying from a location with flights every couple of hours to your embarkation port is a different risk than flying from a city with only 2 flight options a day.

Are you flying an airline that will help you rebook another flight at no cost, or do you have the money to be able to book your own travel arrangements to the embarkation port if the airline isn't cooperative, or is taking too long to make up it's mind (since you don't have that much time to spare)?

It's absolutely possible to fly in the day of embarkation and get to the port and on the ship without hassles or problems.......the question is how much risk of there being a problem are you able to accept and deal with.

Y'all have convinced me! The more I started thinking about it, the more it makes sense for us to fly in the day before - and it was an even easier decision when I discovered it was a little cheaper for us to fly down on Saturday versus Sunday, such that the difference in airfare will come close to covering our hotel. Thanks for your opinions - I really appreciate them!!

Y'all have convinced me! The more I started thinking about it, the more it makes sense for us to fly in the day before - and it was an even easier decision when I discovered it was a little cheaper for us to fly down on Saturday versus Sunday, such that the difference in airfare will come close to covering our hotel. Thanks for your opinions - I really appreciate them!!

Your welcome. :)

You chose wisely

Wise decision.

Keith

We always fly in a day or two early and always volunteer to be bumped on our flight. It has always worked out great for us, we end up with travel vouchers every time and so our flight for the next cruise is always paid for. This allows us to play more often and gives us something to always look forward to.

You made a wise decision and Fort Lauderdale is so easy to fly into and out of. Find a hotel with free airport shuttle and free breakfast for the next morning. Then it's as an easy shuttle the next morning to port.

Enjoy your cruise. We ALWAYS fly in the day before. We flew into Fort Lauderdale on a Friday night after work for a Saturday cruise, worked out wonderfully and we were well rested when we boarded!

Enjoy your cruise!

Just spend a louzy extra $$ for a night at a local hotel and you'll safe yourself a lot of trouble. It's really not worth missing your cruise or winding up all stressed out. There's too much that can go wrong. I can not understand that someone doesn't allow himself a day at the port of departure. Even if you arrive at the morning for a cruise that leaves at 5pm, that's way to thight, mentioned all the things that can go wrong. As stated before by Keith, that's just the top of the iceberg that can go wrong.

Yay!!!! Great choice. Now set back & RELAX....:D

Joe<--------Equinox in Feb! :D

I had a delayed flight and missed a cruise departure. Watched the ship sail away. They refused to let me board.

However my husband who had arrived from a different city due to a business meeting was on the ship and having been told I would be allowed to board, he stayed on board.

Not only did I not get the cost of my cruise refunded (travel insurance didn't cover it due to airline delay) my husband was changed for a single supplement.

I had to pay my own way home and he had a miserable cruise.

Need I say more?

I had a delayed flight and missed a cruise departure. Watched the ship sail away. They refused to let me board.

However my husband who had arrived from a different city due to a business meeting was on the ship and having been told I would be allowed to board, he stayed on board.

Not only did I not get the cost of my cruise refunded (travel insurance didn't cover it due to airline delay) my husband was changed for a single supplement.

I had to pay my own way home and he had a miserable cruise.

Need I say more?

:eek: Wow, that is terrible.

Good! It will be easy for you to pack a carry-on bag for your pre-cruise day:)

Archived