Crystal cruise line?

fudge

Interesting that service can "lag" if there are more than 4 people. Not putting Crystal down on this - just think that it nice to know that this can be an issue on all luxury cruise lines.

Also, I understand that there will soon be "true" open seating on the Symphony. Does this also mean that there will be larger suites as indicated in an earlier post? And, since this will reduce the capacity of the ship, what will the new capacity be?

TC:

This is a short video about the changes.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-symphony-serenity-reimagined/index.html

This is an on line brochure which highlights many of the changes.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/docs/default-source/email-documents/crystal-symphony-serenity-reimagined-interactive.pdf

Lower guest capacity on Symphony of 848 from current level of 922 and Serenity at 980 from current level of 1070

Open dining on both ships with additional dining choices.

Complimentary internet on both ships starting October 21, 2017

The major changes begin October 21, 2017 on Symphony and November 10 on Serenity.

Keith

TC2,

Certainly you must recognize that service can 'lag' on Regent also. We recently were a party of 2 and had several service lapses and lags in CR. [not a big deal for us...just more wine]. Also, with open seating there is sometimes enthusiastic pressure from the maitre d' to "share" a table. [You may not run into this with your suites.] On a few occasions I overheard folks being directed to the bar/lounge to wait.

Everyone is entitled to their preferences for dining. I just find presenting open dining as perfection a bit tilted.

Paula

TC2,

Certainly you must recognize that service can 'lag' on Regent also. We recently were a party of 2 and had several service lapses and lags in CR. [not a big deal for us...just more wine]. Also, with open seating there is sometimes enthusiastic pressure from the maitre d' to "share" a table. [You may not run into this with your suites.] On a few occasions I overheard folks being directed to the bar/lounge to wait.

Everyone is entitled to their preferences for dining. I just find presenting open dining as perfection a bit tilted.

Paula

You made my point. I know that Regent (and Silversea) have lapses/lags in service sometimes - it was interesting to know that Crystal has the same issues.

In terms of being asked to go to the bar/lounge to wait, IMO, this could happen at any restaurant - on land or sea when 300-400 people show up at the same time (and it is not a banquet). True open seating may not be perfection but it sure beats having two "set" dining times where you eat at the same table with the same people as was done in the past on many cruise lines.

Please excuse the question: We have only sailed with Silversea and Seabourn however, we are booked on a cruise with Regent in June out of Venice for 10 days, really looking forward to that.

I have been sent an offer by a TA for Crystal cruises (South Africa) over the Christmas period which is a fantastic deal.

Can anyone please advise if Crystal compares with SS, Seabourn or Regent please? Flights WiFi and drinks are included in the package.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

My wife and I have been on 8 Regent cruises and one Crystal Cruise. We were on the Crystal Serenity last year on an Asian cruise (Shanghai to Tokyo). Our experience was that for the things that are important to us, Crystal we as good as if not better than Regent. However, there was one thing that completely turned us off of Crystal, and that was the attitudes of the passengers. This was one segment of a World Cruise, and most of the passengers who were on the entire World Cruise would not speak to those of us just doing one segment (I'm not exaggerating - they literally would not speak to us). We even encountered instances of guests who did speak to us (or others who were just on the one segment) being ostracised by the World Cruise group for doing so. It was the most bizarre cruising experience we have had in our 25 years of cruising. It also got tiring hearing discussions of how many Bentley's, etc they owned.

We chalked it up to bad luck with that particular group, but perhaps this is a more frequent occurrence? One of the things we love about Regent is that although it obviously requires a certain level of economic independence to sail on such a line, the guests never seem to act like they are above anybody else. Most Regent guests seem to be very down to earth and friendly.

This is just one experience, so take it for what it is worth, but it certainly soured us on Crystal despite the actual cruise itself being quite wonderful.

My wife and I have been on 8 Regent cruises and one Crystal Cruise. We were on the Crystal Serenity last year on an Asian cruise (Shanghai to Tokyo). Our experience was that for the things that are important to us, Crystal we as good as if not better than Regent. However, there was one thing that completely turned us off of Crystal, and that was the attitudes of the passengers. This was one segment of a World Cruise, and most of the passengers who were on the entire World Cruise would not speak to those of us just doing one segment (I'm not exaggerating - they literally would not speak to us). We even encountered instances of guests who did speak to us (or others who were just on the one segment) being ostracised by the World Cruise group for doing so. It was the most bizarre cruising experience we have had in our 25 years of cruising. It also got tiring hearing discussions of how many Bentley's, etc they owned.

We chalked it up to bad luck with that particular group, but perhaps this is a more frequent occurrence? One of the things we love about Regent is that although it obviously requires a certain level of economic independence to sail on such a line, the guests never seem to act like they are above anybody else. Most Regent guests seem to be very down to earth and friendly.

This is just one experience, so take it for what it is worth, but it certainly soured us on Crystal despite the actual cruise itself being quite wonderful.

I'm sorry you had that experience. I was on that world cruise, and was not aware of more than a handful of world cruisers carrying that attitude. And I did my best to avoid that crowd. My travel buddy and I had a good time meeting people on the segments as well as on the full cruise. This was my second lengthy cruise--the first one having been on Regent Navigator in 2008--and there was a group like that on that cruise as well. A couple of them openly snubbed my friend and me. I don't get that, but in the long run, being like that is their burden in life.

There was a respiratory bug going around the ship during that segment, so I expect there were a number of people you didn't get to meet because they were holed up in their cabins. Again, I'm sorry you had a poor experience with the passengers.

This is my personal opinion. Status means very little to me on a cruise line because frankly, I get very bored with the same ships, the same routines, the same restaurants, often the same fellow passengers and the same itineraries year after year. I am Diamond status on Seabourn, a godfather on the Odyssey and get treated very well when onboard, BUT there is only so much of the same old same old I can take before I want to throw myself overboard. That is also the reason I mix in many land trips between cruises. For me life is way to short to keep doing the same thing over and over.

` It was the most bizarre cruising experience we have had in our 25 years of cruising. It also got tiring hearing discussions of how many Bentley's, etc they owned.

Also sorry to hear about your experience. We avoid "those types" of people. If someone tells me about their Bentley's, I tell them how much we love our Toyota Corolla's:halo:. This yet another reason why we prefer the crew to some passengers. OTOH, most Regent passengers are down to earth and understand that others don't care how much money they have (or don't have),

I don't believe that World Cruise snobs are only on Crystal -- they exist on most world cruises which is why we try to avoid segments. Even on our last Regent cruise that ended earlier this month, some people were more interested in those passengers that were doing a B2B cruise rather than only the transatlantic part of the cruise. Although we were part of a "group", we did our own thing - met some lovely "lurkers" from CC and had a great time.

TC:

This is a short video about the changes.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-symphony-serenity-reimagined/index.html

This is an on line brochure which highlights many of the changes.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/docs/default-source/email-documents/crystal-symphony-serenity-reimagined-interactive.pdf

Lower guest capacity on Symphony of 848 from current level of 922 and Serenity at 980 from current level of 1070

Open dining on both ships with additional dining choices.

Complimentary internet on both ships starting October 21, 2017

The major changes begin October 21, 2017 on Symphony and November 10 on Serenity.

Keith

Thank you Keith! Just noticed your post and the link!

I managed to skim through the article and watch the video as well as read an article put out by someone else before running out of "edit" time.

The most amazing thing that I read (not on your links) is that there will be washers and dryers in some suites. That is really special and different than any other ship.

However, according to the brochure, the two new suite categories will be the "same square footage as the ship's current penthouse categories" (367 sq. ft. including verandah and 491 sq. ft. including verandah). This isn't helping the small suite issue (the Mariner PH suites are 449 sq. ft. including balcony -- quite a bit larger than one PH suite but not as large as the other new suite on Crystal). On Regent's newest ship, Explorer, the PH suites are 450 sq. ft. plus a balcony from 111 - 176 sq. ft. making them quite a bit larger than Crystal's new suites.

The test for many passengers will be the cost. I'm sure that someone will eventually break this down for us. In general, we have Crystal to be more expensive in the larger suites (PH and above) than Regent.

At first glance, the open seating looks good. I would need more time to understand which, if any, restaurants require reservations and if there is a cost involved to dine in the restaurant more than one time.

Again, thank you for the links and fair evaluation.

Edited by Travelcat2

Sometimes when I start investigating cruises I can't stop. Just did a very similar comparison of two cruises - Cape Town to Cape Town in December, 2017. One on the Symphony and one on Explorer. Since there is a difference in length of 1 day, I'm going to do per diem.

Crystal - PH (larger one 491 sq. ft. including verandah) $1,203/person/day

Regent - PH - 450 sq. ft. plus 111 - 176 sq. ft. balcony) $1,299/person/day

Since I'm not a math person, let's call it $100/day difference. What is not included on Crystal (at least not that I could find) is airfare or excursions..

I am quite vocal about my dislike for included excursions and would like Regent to allow an opt out policy. However, I would not opt out in South Africa (one of my favorite places in the world - we have been there twice). There is no way I can come up with a cost for the excursions but it would likely not cost more than $100/person/day.

Airfare on the other hand is a huge issue - especially when flying to Cape Town. I checked Yapta for flights from both Seattle and JFK.

Seattle - least expensive flight (Virgin and Turkish Airlines) - $4,752/person - it takes 39-40 hours to get to Cape Town.

The shortest flight from Seattle to Cape Town is on American Airlines or British Airways - $7,722/person and it takes only 24-27 hours.

From JFK - the least expensive flight is on Turkish Airlines - takes 25-30 hours and is $4,997/person.

The shortest flight is on South African Airlines and if $12,936 - only 18 1/2 - 19 1/2 hours.

So, while Regent comes out $100/day/person most expensive than Crystal, when you add in airfare (BTW, these are Business Class Fares), the price really skyrockets for Crystal.

Just found this interesting and wanted to share.

I think it may have been just that particular group as we have been on segments of the WC in the past and never experienced what you did. Perhaps it was an anomaly. Segmenters pay a,higher premium as well. Honestly we have been embraced with WC'ers with no issues

I know of other that have been on segments and really enjoyed themselves.

Miles

Jackie...

Quite interesting! Coincidentally, since, for whatever reason, we get almost twice as many Oceania brochures than ones from Regent, despite the fact that we have never sailed on the line, we just received one today that also lists an intriguing Capetown to Capetown in December of this year, with an option that includes airfare. Since we're doing a South America/Antarctic cruise in Feb, the timing didn't work, but it is something we might do in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Suite travels,

Since winter is such a great time to get out of the northeast, we have done several segments on WC, both Crystal and Regent.....and we have often observed the aloofness and exclusion noted above. I think that the lines have been aware of this and over the years have tried to menuever around this. Paula

Paula over the last few years segmenters are more included in WC events and of course they will have a few special events for world cruisers.

We met several full WC's in January that were very nice. It seem the solo ladies stick together more than the men.

We are on the first segment of the WC on Crystal in January LA-Sydney. Nobody will know if we are a segmenter or not unless they make us wear the scarlet S on our shirts. LOL

Miles

You have more than one Corolla? You snob...

;p

Actually, they are "almost" identical twins (one has a different color interior). We get two every two years which really makes me a snob!:cool:

Speaking of snobs, from my limited experience with other cruise lines, I do find that Regent has the best balance of passengers. While I don't necessarily consider Siversea passenger snobs, they are more reserved and formal (they would be formal even without the dress code). Oceania is a bit too informal for me. The only experience I have with Crystal passengers is on this board and I find it both interesting and a bit unsettling. It feels as if Crystal passengers are advertising Crystal on the Regent board (this isn't meant as a slam - only an observation). I do not see Seabourn, Silversea, Oceania or any other cruise line passengers that regularly post on the Regent board.

Further on that subject, when a TS is asking about "Crystal cruise line" on the Regent board, I assume that they are interested in feedback from Regent passengers that have sailed on Crystal. Prior to sailing on Silversea, I asked questions on the Silversea board. However, when I returned from our first Silversea cruise I posted "Regent vs. Silversea" (or something like that) on the Regent board.

I do hope that this post is allowed to remain as I do believe that the TS was interested in feedback from Regent passengers that have also sailed on Crystal (which he received from a couple of posters). While we ended up with loads of information on Crystal's future refurbishment of the ships which was interesting, I wonder if the TS received the information that they were seeking.

Actually, they are "almost" identical twins (one has a different color interior). We get two every two years which really makes me a snob!:cool:

Speaking of snobs, from my limited experience with other cruise lines, I do find that Regent has the best balance of passengers. While I don't necessarily consider Siversea passenger snobs, they are more reserved and formal (they would be formal even without the dress code). Oceania is a bit too informal for me. The only experience I have with Crystal passengers is on this board and I find it both interesting and a bit unsettling. It feels as if Crystal passengers are advertising Crystal on the Regent board (this isn't meant as a slam - only an observation). I do not see Seabourn, Silversea, Oceania or any other cruise line passengers that regularly post on the Regent board.

Further on that subject, when a TS is asking about "Crystal cruise line" on the Regent board, I assume that they are interested in feedback from Regent passengers that have sailed on Crystal. Prior to sailing on Silversea, I asked questions on the Silversea board. However, when I returned from our first Silversea cruise I posted "Regent vs. Silversea" (or something like that) on the Regent board.

I do hope that this post is allowed to remain as I do believe that the TS was interested in feedback from Regent passengers that have also sailed on Crystal (which he received from a couple of posters). While we ended up with loads of information on Crystal's future refurbishment of the ships which was interesting, I wonder if the TS received the information that they were seeking.

What is a snob? A person who believes him or her self an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field.

What is a snob? A person who believes him or her self an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field.

Exactly, how would one know that Regent has the most balanced of guests when they have not sailed Crystal or Seabourn?. Pure speculation and condescending as well.

Miles.

As we are midway through our cruise on the Regent Explorer (Venice to Rome) and previous Crystal cruisers, allow me to add a few early observations. We have previously sailed on both Silversea and Seabourn, and traveled to Alaska on the Crystal Serenity this past summer - we loved it! That being said, we already have a definite preference for Regent going forward. Ultimately it comes down to what is important to you as a couple - things that are important to us are comfortable and elegant accommodations, and restaurant choices. While we were comfortable in a PS on Crystal Serenity, we found both the room and bathroom to be very cramped. We are staying in a comparably priced suite on Regent and there is a vast difference in cabin size and decor. While on Crystal we enjoyed the Lido for breakfast and lunch, we find the atmosphere at La Veranda on the Explorer much more refined - table cloths and proper (not rushed) service. It seemed we were forever "flagging down" a harried waiter in the Lido for coffee refills or soft drinks - in La Veranda the atmosphere is not at all rushed and there are servers continually moving about offering drinks. The Lido may have had a greater quantity and variety of choices at their buffet, but La Veranda is a much more elegant venue (you can order omelettes, pastas, etc and rather than have you wait on the buffet line for the order to be ready, a server will deliver the order to your table). On Crystal Serenity we didn't care for the service or atmosphere in the Main Dining Room - tonight we "walked in" to Compass Rose (no reservations necessary) during a very busy time and had a wonderful meal - well served with lots of attention to detail. The waitstaff was working hard, but always with a smile and they nailed it. While on Serenity we loved Tastes, we enjoyed Silk Road, but we did not care for Prego...it just wasn't our kind of place. I also felt that it cheapened the product to charge for a second reservation in those restaurants. On Explorer we have enjoyed Prime 7, and especially loved Chartreuse where we have been for both lunch and dinner. We found the meals at Chartreuse to be deliciously and innovatively prepared, and service friendly but not pretentious despite the sophistication of the food. We've already made return reservations to that restaurant, no problem and no extra charge. We try Pacific Rim later this week. Throughout the ship the staff has been friendly and hard working. At this point we give Crystal the slight edge when it comes to evening entertainment, as we really loved the shows and performers while onboard last summer and haven't been wowed by anything that we've seen yet on Regent. I plan to write a full review when we return but I just wanted to add my thoughts to this thread. In the end, we're all fortunate to sail on any of these lines and it just comes down to personal preference. Based on our experience these past few days, Regent gets our vote:):)

Edited by morneau

Miles, I will be surprised, amazed and inexplicably shocked if they do not ask you immediately post 'hello'.

Just my experience and sincerely hope to be shocked. Paula

Paula it has changed but I know what you are saying and those people are a very small group and I have seen them on every line we have sailed. It has improved because the segmenters are included with most WC activities these days.

We can easily avoid those so called elitists. Ah, the go to bed with the chickens and the cows so us peons can enjoy the rest of the ship.

If we had the time we would do a world cruise but my partner just does not want to be away for a 100+ days. If we did a WC I can assure you we would welcome anyone we met regardless of how long they are onboard.

Miles

As we are midway through our cruise on the Regent Explorer (Venice to Rome) and previous Crystal cruisers, allow me to add a few early observations. We have previously sailed on both Silversea and Seabourn, and traveled to Alaska on the Crystal Serenity this past summer - we loved it! That being said, we already have a definite preference for Regent going forward. Ultimately it comes down to what is important to you as a couple - things that are important to us are comfortable and elegant accommodations, and restaurant choices. While we were comfortable in a PS on Crystal Serenity, we found both the room and bathroom to be very cramped. We are staying in a comparably priced suite on Regent and there is a vast difference in cabin size and decor. While on Crystal we enjoyed the Lido for breakfast and lunch, we find the atmosphere at La Veranda on the Explorer much more refined - table cloths and proper (not rushed) service. It seemed we were forever "flagging down" a harried waiter in the Lido for coffee refills or soft drinks - in La Veranda the atmosphere is not at all rushed and there are servers continually moving about offering drinks. The Lido may have had a greater quantity and variety of choices at their buffet, but La Veranda is a much more elegant venue (you can order omelettes, pastas, etc and rather than have you wait on the buffet line for the order to be ready, a server will deliver the order to your table). On Crystal Serenity we didn't care for the service or atmosphere in the Main Dining Room - tonight we "walked in" to Compass Rose (no reservations necessary) during a very busy time and had a wonderful meal - well served with lots of attention to detail. The waitstaff was working hard, but always with a smile and they nailed it. While on Serenity we loved Tastes, we enjoyed Silk Road, but we did not care for Prego...it just wasn't our kind of place. I also felt that it cheapened the product to charge for a second reservation in those restaurants. On Explorer we have enjoyed Prime 7, and especially loved Chartreuse where we have been for both lunch and dinner. We found the meals at Chartreuse to be deliciously and innovatively prepared, and service friendly but not pretentious despite the sophistication of the food. We've already made return reservations to that restaurant, no problem and no extra charge. We try Pacific Rim later this week. Throughout the ship the staff has been friendly and hard working. At this point we give Crystal the slight edge when it comes to evening entertainment, as we really loved the shows and performers while onboard last summer and haven't been wowed by anything that we've seen yet on Regent. I plan to write a full review when we return but I just wanted to add my thoughts to this thread. In the end, we're all fortunate to sail on any of these lines and it just comes down to personal preference. Based on our experience these past few days, Regent gets our vote:):)

Thank you for your comments and post. You "see" what many non-Regent cruisers see. I have close friends that sail on Crystal and their comments are not as positive about the future as the Crystal posters that seem to live on the Regent board (they are concerned about the future of Crystal given that the two "new" ocean ships that were promised have been pushed back several years). BTW, based on what I've heard over the years, I agree that the entertainment on Crystal can not be matched on any other luxury cruise line.

For those reading this thread, it is interesting to note that the majority of posters are Crystal cruisers (not a problem but wonder what their interest is in making less than positive comments about Regent - a cruise line that posters either have never sailed on or have not sailed on in a long time). IMO, this is an important fact to know.

I personally have little interest in Crystal but appreciate reading posts from people that have cruised both lines (under current ownership). Unless a poster volunteers the information that they have not sailed on Regent (as Keith did) or state how long it has been since they sailed on Regent (I believe that Suite Travels posted that he last cruised Regent 8 years ago but don't recall him being on Regent while it was owned by Apollo - Prestige Cruise Holdings - time does slip away and I suspect that the last time he sailed on Regent was when it was under private ownership). Regent is a different product - just as Crystal will be later this year and next year. Actually, that is a good point. People that have sailed Crystal in the past may have a completely different view of the cruise line once they have open seating, some larger cabins, etc. Perhaps some Crystal posters will understand that this is how some of us feel about the "old Regent" vs. the "new Regent".

Again, hope that these posts remain - even the argumentative ones as it gives people reading this thread insight into changes that have or will be occurring on both cruise lines.

Edited by Travelcat2