Quality decreasing or just becoming familiar

JPH814

I am posting this on Seabourn, although it could apply to any cruise line.

I see posts where people are complaining that the quality of the Seaborn has gone downhill. Whether that is the quality of food, attentiveness of staff, or anything else. It is frequently preceded by a statement of "I have been on many Seaborn cruises..."

I wonder how much of the perceived decrease in quality is simply people no longer seeing the freshness or newness of the experience. For example, the first time you go the buffet on the Lido deck, it is "wow look at all the options..". But after a week, or multiple cruises, you look at the buffet and say "this is the same old stuff." It is not a decrease of quality, but almost a desensitizing to the enjoyment of the experience because you have had it so often.

This can be true of the facilities, entertainment, even the furnishings. You first experience a ship and you see the flash and the beauty. But after a number of days you start noticing a worn carpet or a gash in the wallpaper. It was always there, but you just start seeing it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For me the quality is definately decreasing. Things are very,very different now to what they were in the late 90's early 00'/s on SB, but one can expect that as prices haven't really changed. However, it is not until our last couple of cruises that we have ever had to call into question the food quality at times. Some of the staff training seems to be lacking recently too.

I am posting this on Seabourn, although it could apply to any cruise line.

I see posts where people are complaining that the quality of the Seaborn has gone downhill. Whether that is the quality of food, attentiveness of staff, or anything else. It is frequently preceded by a statement of "I have been on many Seaborn cruises..."

I wonder how much of the perceived decrease in quality is simply people no longer seeing the freshness or newness of the experience. For example, the first time you go the buffet on the Lido deck, it is "wow look at all the options..". But after a week, or multiple cruises, you look at the buffet and say "this is the same old stuff." It is not a decrease of quality, but almost a desensitizing to the enjoyment of the experience because you have had it so often.

This can be true of the facilities, entertainment, even the furnishings. You first experience a ship and you see the flash and the beauty. But after a number of days you start noticing a worn carpet or a gash in the wallpaper. It was always there, but you just start seeing it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is exactly what my marriage guidance counsellor said

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For me the quality is definately decreasing. Things are very,very different now to what they were in the late 90's early 00'/s on SB, but one can expect that as prices haven't really changed. However, it is not until our last couple of cruises that we have ever had to call into question the food quality at times. Some of the staff training seems to be lacking recently too.

You simply cannot compare Seabourn today with the early 90's. Those were intimate ships with a true yacht like feeling and service to match. If you'll recall when Seabourn first started every suite except the owners and classic suites were the same price. It was superb. Today Seabourn is a cruise line, not a yacht line and things have changed. That said, imo it's still the best out there with the possible exception of Hapag Lloyd.

JPH814, it's interesting that you mention this as it's what we were thinking after our last 2 cruises on Sojourn. We came home thinking have standards slipped or do we need a change?

I don't have an answer, but I can say we enjoyed our time on Encore (Sydney - Singapore) more than our last on Sojourn. Is this the ship, the crew or the passengers? Or perhaps a combination of all. The vibe certainly changed on the second leg when there was a changeover of crew (including CD) and passengers.

We had friends on the next leg (Singapore- Dubai) and they were very disappointed with service.

Things have changed, as with everything in the world, service is not what it used to be. It's all about the bottom line these days but there is a lot of competition out there and if they drop the standard too much, people will vote with their feet.

We are going on Ponant in August, from what I have heard, I think we will be very happy to return to Seabourn

We cruise on both Seaburn and Silversea and over the years, the product on both has changed in order to deal with increased costs, more competition, and a different target market. For instanace, years ago there was no lunch buffet every day on either line. Now it is standard practice on both., probably because the ships are larger and they need to feed more people at a lower cost and because they want to attract customers from lower cost lines who expect a buffet lunch.

There are several similar examples, but, the bottom line is that I think the product has changed,but, the overall cruise experience has remained at a higher level than other cruise lines.

Bspill,

Actually in the 16 years in which I have cruised on Seabourn they have always had a buffet whether in the Verandah or Colonnade -- however then as now you have always been able to order off a menu as well or have buffet items served to you. If that is your preference.As to Silversea I have no clue as I haven't sailed on their ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wripro, no you can't compare, thats just what i have said, you can expect that it won't be the same as prices are the same now as they were in the 00's.

Actually, i think many per diem rates today are less than they were in the 90s. Back then fares were around $1000 pp per day.

I think our first SB cruise was in about 1996, followed by a gap of several years before starting again. There was certainly always a buffet for breakfast and lunch in the then Verandah, and to my mind not a lot has gone down in quality since then - maybe some of the dinner dishes and choice in the MDR. They did away with silly presents for you take home; a good thing. If it really used to be about $1000 a day then prices have gone down, though they have certainly gone up very recently.

I have been trying to think of another line I would like to cruise, having already been on Regent (only last year), Silversea and Seadream, and I am afraid that for me and DH SB is the only one that fits the bill. It does have a lot to do with what is your particular need - we like casualness (is that a word), and lovely staff. One area where SB are struggling a bit at present, I fear. Please, Seabourn management, make sure you have sufficient well trained staff of the right calibre!

i remember around 2000 some "weak" SB cruises were sold in Europe for 1995 € on a guarantee ( mostly on Spirit in "greek" waters )

for the moment the cheapest rate available on a SB is 2950 € in a basic suite - next level 3500 and 3900

also my very first SB Pride was rather expensive despite in those days SB had a single sup of 25 % on some cruises

Horrible duo playing in Observation Bar on a recent cruise, courtesy HAL.

Over a year ago I had written HAL beat SB into submission in the kitchen. You could see the battles as they were being fought. Battle over and SB lost the war.

They need, and are getting, loads of new people to fill the ships. As for referencing the first twenty years of SB, you might as well be discussing Royal Viking or Norwegian America.

Our first was around £3000ppn for a balcony for a week in the med in the late 00's, not a guarantee, and it is around that price today for a guarantee. Hence my saying prices haven't really changed much. In the last few years it has been much cheaper for us,but comparing today in pounds its about the same as at the beginning.

I stand corrected about the Seabourn lunch buffet but my point was that Seabourn now has to fill 4 (and soon 5) larger ships and therefore is making changes to appeal to a larger target market. Some of those changes are positive and some negative. Still a great cruise experience.