Southwest boarding strategy - 9 adults and 3 kids

April-in-NC

Good morning! I've flown Southwest twice, but never with a group this large and with kids. We are trying to get seats together (or at least two adults and one child in each row) and I have some questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

My Dad has limited mobility so we are going to request priority boarding for him and another adult to board first, before group A. That takes care of two adults (we won't be trying to save seats).

I bought my husband Early Bird to guarantee at least one of our group will have Group A boarding. The big question here is can he board with one of the kids? None are lap children and have their own ticket (not early bird).

Unless my sister and her family luck out and check in early enough to get group A they will be boarding between group A and B in the "adults traveling with small children" group. If one of the kids can't board with my husband then I will be boarding with them so we will have three adults traveling with three children.

Hopefully this strategy works. Is there anything we can do other than log in to check in right at the 24 hour mark? Any other tips?

Thanks!

... I bought my husband Early Bird to guarantee at least one of our group will have Group A boarding. The big question here is can he board with one of the kids? None are lap children and have their own ticket (not early bird)....

The kids have to board with their boarding number. They cannot tag along with someone that has a lower boarding number. By purchasing Early Bird for only one person, you have made sure their boarding numbers will be different. Now, if you husband wants to board with the kids, he will have to go back to their position in line.

The kids have to board with their boarding number. They cannot tag along with someone that has a lower boarding number. By purchasing Early Bird for only one person, you have made sure their boarding numbers will be different. Now, if you husband wants to board with the kids, he will have to go back to their position in line.

Thanks, that is what I assumed. The kids are our nephews and nice so he doesn't need to board with them. I would much rather him board as assigned and try to get a seat near my parents.

The WN website states that "an adult and child under the age of six" may board after the A group. It does not state that the entire family may board. Children 6 and older will have to board with their assigned herd number.

If the adult with mobility issues does not require companion assistance, please do not try to game the system to get one more on board early.

Remember - no seat saving allowed on WN. So, if someone wants to grab those seats next to you before the rest of your group boards, they are rightfully allowed to take those seats.

If you all want to sit together, you are going to have to pay that Early Bird or take your chances.

Why do you need a "strategy"? You board in order of your number, and you can't change that. This is not a long flight. I have never been in anything but the A group, when checking in at the 24 hour mark.

Even if you are in the B group, you should be able to manage. I would not spend a lot of time stressing about this.

Edited by 6rugrats

The WN website states that "an adult and child under the age of six" may board after the A group. It does not state that the entire family may board. Children 6 and older will have to board with their assigned herd number.

If the adult with mobility issues does not require companion assistance, please do not try to game the system to get one more on board early.

Remember - no seat saving allowed on WN. So, if someone wants to grab those seats next to you before the rest of your group boards, they are rightfully allowed to take those seats.

If you all want to sit together, you are going to have to pay that Early Bird or take your chances.

I'm not trying to game the system. My dad can barely walk with a cane and needs assistance, so my mother will board with him. They will not be saving seats.

Also, just noticed that my thread title states 9 adults and three kids. It is actually 6 adults and three kids (4, 2, 2). We are hoping to have it work out that there is one child per two adults, but we realize that might not happen depending on how full the flight is.

My husband will board in Group A (early bird). He will do his best to sit near my parents, but he will not be saving seats either.

I will board with my 2 year old niece (who will be sitting with me and DH for the flight), then my sister will board with my two year old nephew, and my brother in law will board with their 4 year old son. We will all try to get seats near where my parents got seats, just for the ease of entertaining the kids, but if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.

Edited by April-in-NC
Update info...

I'm not trying to game the system. My dad can barely walk with a cane and needs assistance, so my mother will board with him. They will not be saving seats.

Also, just noticed that my thread title states 9 adults and three kids. It is actually 6 adults and three kids (4, 2, 2). We are hoping to have it work out that there is one child per two adults, but we realize that might not happen depending on how full the flight is.

My husband will board in Group A (early bird). He will do his best to sit near my parents, but he will not be saving seats either.

I will board with my 2 year old niece (who will be sitting with me and DH for the flight), then my sister will board with my two year old nephew, and my brother in law will board with their 4 year old son. We will all try to get seats near where my parents got seats, just for the ease of entertaining the kids, but if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.

When my husband was having trouble walking we requested a wheelchair and he was wheeled through the airport and down the ramp to the plane -- I accompanied him. This would help your parents considerably. Older travelers often use mobility assistance in airports.

How many sets of tickets do you have? If you have one then you will probably all be checked in at the same time and have consecutive boarding numbers. If your sister's family is on one ticket and you on another then you may be significantly out of sequence. I would just go with the flow and, if needed, ask for a little help when you are at the gate.

When my husband was having trouble walking we requested a wheelchair and he was wheeled through the airport and down the ramp to the plane -- I accompanied him. This would help your parents considerably. Older travelers often use mobility assistance in airports.

How many sets of tickets do you have? If you have one then you will probably all be checked in at the same time and have consecutive boarding numbers. If your sister's family is on one ticket and you on another then you may be significantly out of sequence. I would just go with the flow and, if needed, ask for a little help when you are at the gate.

Not if one person has Early Bird and the others on the same record locator do not.

We have two sets of confirmations. I bought tickets for my parents, my husband and myself (with early bird for my husband only). Then my sister, her husband and three kids are all one one.

Check in for my parents will happen when I log in of course, but it is a moot point because they are going to request early boarding due to his limited mobility.

We have two sets of confirmations. I bought tickets for my parents, my husband and myself (with early bird for my husband only). Then my sister, her husband and three kids are all one one.

Check in for my parents will happen when I log in of course, but it is a moot point because they are going to request early boarding due to his limited mobility.

It's a matter of you being together with the two year-old. Personally I think the kids and their parents will be fine boarding together.

Good morning! I've flown Southwest twice, but never with a group this large and with kids. We are trying to get seats together (or at least two adults and one child in each row) and I have some questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

My Dad has limited mobility so we are going to request priority boarding for him and another adult to board first, before group A. That takes care of two adults (we won't be trying to save seats).

I bought my husband Early Bird to guarantee at least one of our group will have Group A boarding. The big question here is can he board with one of the kids? None are lap children and have their own ticket (not early bird).

Unless my sister and her family luck out and check in early enough to get group A they will be boarding between group A and B in the "adults traveling with small children" group. If one of the kids can't board with my husband then I will be boarding with them so we will have three adults traveling with three children.

Hopefully this strategy works. Is there anything we can do other than log in to check in right at the 24 hour mark? Any other tips?

Thanks!

I think I understand this. Dad and Mom will board in priority. Your husband will have a group A. Most likely Mom and Dad will be in one of the first rows due to his mobility issues. so if your dh sits in the third seat with them that takes care of him and them.

You are boarding with your niece, sil boarding with another child and bil doing the same. Since you six will be boarding later you probably won't be near the front, but with any luck you will be able to get a full row where all six can sit together. I really don't think there will be a problem. If I were you I would make sure I checked in at the 24 h mark and just go with the flow. Good luck and have a great flight and cruise.

Why not? I believe Southwest does not have a policy prohibiting seat saving.

(Just raising a possibility. Plenty of threads in other forums for discussions of the ethics/morality/etiquette of seat saving on WN.)

I don't know that it is prohibited per se, but if a passenger wants an open seat they are permitted to take it regardless if the person in the seat next to the open seat says "I'm saving it". The flight attendants won't support saving of seats.

Flight attendants announce during the entire boarding process..."If you see an open seat you like, take it".

I don't know that it is prohibited per se, but if a passenger wants an open seat they are permitted to take it regardless if the person in the seat next to the open seat says "I'm saving it". The flight attendants won't support saving of seats.

Flight attendants announce during the entire boarding process..."If you see an open seat you like, take it".

WN does not define "open" or "available". If someone puts a book on a seat to "save" it you could try and pick up the book and sit in the seat, or perhaps involve a FA to try and resolve the issue. Good luck with that.

Just another reason I like either AA or UA......I know exactly what my seat number is when I book. (equipment changes aside). No worrying about people saving seats or any of that nonsense. I can just board at my own pace as I just fly with a small backpack now and don't worry much about bin space. (and I have priority boarding on both). Plus the big one.....I pay LESS then I would if flying with the blue and orange.

Just another reason I like either AA or UA......I know exactly what my seat number is when I book. (equipment changes aside). No worrying about people saving seats or any of that nonsense. I can just board at my own pace as I just fly with a small backpack now and don't worry much about bin space. (and I have priority boarding on both). Plus the big one.....I pay LESS then I would if flying with the blue and orange.

For our upcoming trip, I can agree with the better pricing with AA...We usually fly WN out of either PHL or BWI to Florida, but when I was looking at fares they were awfully high and the schedules were terrible. I knew I had to book early due to flying around Easter, but WN tix were running $650 each from BWI for nonstops...have to tack 3hrs plus a hotel to that because of where we live.

I found nonstops on AA from PHL (just 30 min from the house) for only $360 each...and that included one checked bag each. Snapped that right up.

I considered it, but my sister is paying for 5 tickets so that adds quite a bit to their cost to do early bird for their whole family.

If sitting with the children is important to her, then I would think she'd consider the price x 5 for early bird boarding to be well worth it.

Anyway, you asked for tips so here you go:

The whole point is to make sure the kids are sitting with adults in your party, right? Well, when your parents board early, have them sit in the aisle and window seat, leaving the middle open. Many will pass that seat up and when the kids finally board one of them can sit with grandma and grandpa. Then get early boarding for one other adult in your group, and that person and hubby can do likewise and another kid sits between you. Leave the oldest child for last. Chances are you'll still find 2 seats together but if not at least it's the oldest kid sitting by him or herself.

Otherwise, the only "strategy" is to just board at your assigned times and take your chances. As some said, if you check in right at the 24 hour mark you should be ok, just head straight to the back of the plane where you'll find the most empty rows.