Rome to Cruiseport Transportation

wombat10

Would appreciate some help with figuring out what is the most cost-effective transportation option in getting from Rome to the Civitavecchia cruise port for two twenty-somethings. In reading through the message boards I can't get a good grasp on what would be best. Has someone done this recently? We cruise mid-August.

Thanks!

We used ROME CABS for the trip to Assisi post cruise and I highly recommend them. It is not the most cost efficient way but it is definitely the most convenient and stress free. There were 4 of us so we split the cost which made it easier. We used Rome Limousines to get to the port but I was disappointed in them when we tried to book the trip to Assisi. They changed their prices from the quote (I had last spoke up about the lower quote 2 days earlier and they said it coincidently just changed when I went to book) so I looked elsewhere and was very happy with Rome Cabs.

We (and others) have posted detailed info on the Ports of Call Italy board so many times...some folks probably want to scream. If cost is your issue you can use the local trains which involve having to transfer. The most efficient way is to have a private car/driver. The best compromise is the share a private car/driver (we agree with the Romecabs recommendation) with 1 or 2 other couples (perhaps you can find others on your Roll Call that are on your same flight).

Hank

I agree with all of the above. The most cost effective way is the train but there is a transfer involved and, in my experience, Italian trains are not the most luggage friendly.

If you have not already checked out your roll call, do so now. You may find someone looking for two additional passengers in a mini-van. Or, start to organize your own. Rome Cabs has been mentioned here but I've also liked using Rome in Limo. With six or eight people in the van, it's very reasonable and great fun getting to the port. The trick is finding people who are staying near you or in the same hotel because there might be a surcharge for an additional pickup location.

I've organized vans from Rome to Civitavecchia several times and it's always worked out well.

We (and others) have posted detailed info on the Ports of Call Italy board so many times...some folks probably want to scream.

Hank

Hank,

All the posts concerning the Ports of Calls used to be moved from the main X board to the appropriate POC board - that doesn't appear to be happening anymore :confused:? Has the policy changed since the new CC format was released?

Personally, I thought it worked well and freed up the main board just for specific X questions. Obviously this is not in reflection to the OP's question, just an observation I've made over the last few months.

Cost effective = train... Convenient = noooo :-)

Civitatours.com offers a transfer once a day for a good price.

We used them the other way around a couple of times - from Civitavecchia to the airport.

Coming from downtown Rome or the airport?

A few years ago we cruised after spending a few days in Rome and found the commuter train (5 Euros each then) to be easy -- ride took about an hour. We walked the short distance to the port and then caught the shuttle bus to our ship. If a dinosaur like me can do it, two 20-somethings should be fine.

Here's a link to the Italy board for more recent info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

About 3 years ago we shared a van with a total of 6 people from our Rome hotel to the port. Someone on the Roll Call organized the ride--the van picked us up from 3 different hotels. We each paid the driver in Euros. It really worked out wonderfully since the van drove right up to the ship. I strongly recommend "carpooling" with others from your Roll Call--it's so convenient. If you take the train, you probably will have to taxi to the train station. Then when you exit the train at the port, you must walk to the shuttle that takes you to the ship.

We shared a shuttle with three other couples from our roll call. The company we used for all of our transfers was Civitavecchia Cab Service. The cost was lower than that of the other company mentioned , they were on time with clean vehicles and polite drivers. I would use them again.

I posted the info on my Roll Call and the other couples "signed up" to ride share. I made the reservation with Civitavecchia Cab Service. Bear in mind, each couple was staying at a different hotel in Rome (within reasonable proximity of each other) so there was an extra charge for each additional stop on the way to the port (10 euros each). Regardless, the cost was much less than going it alone. We also shared the transport back to the airport at the end of the cruise.

We used ROME CABS for the trip to Assisi post cruise and I highly recommend them. It is not the most cost efficient way but it is definitely the most convenient and stress free. There were 4 of us so we split the cost which made it easier. We used Rome Limousines to get to the port but I was disappointed in them when we tried to book the trip to Assisi. They changed their prices from the quote (I had last spoke up about the lower quote 2 days earlier and they said it coincidently just changed when I went to book) so I looked elsewhere and was very happy with Rome Cabs.

Second for RomeCabs we used them many times, we always shared the ride with people from roll call. they are great!

Would appreciate some help with figuring out what is the most cost-effective transportation option in getting from Rome to the Civitavecchia cruise port for two twenty-somethings. In reading through the message boards I can't get a good grasp on what would be best. Has someone done this recently? We cruise mid-August.

Thanks!

Wombat, you may be on our cruise.

We are arriving a day before our cruise and plan on taking the train. The fare with a change at the Trastevere station is 11 Euro per person. You can check the schedule at trenitalia.com. In the upper right you can switch to English.

We have taken the train before and it is an easy walk in Civitavecchia if you don't have a lot of luggage. We each had one large bag and a carry on and it was easy to change trains (you exit one platform and move to another) at Trastevere and also to walk to the port shuttle in Civitavecchia.

Most cost effective is the train. And 2 twenty somethings will find it very manageable. Don't let people scare you out of it. It's simple and fast and you have a .5 mile or so walk from the train station to the pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums