NCL to Panama

lbfluffy

We want to the Panama Canal. Currently we have the Island Princess booked for next November leaving from Fort Lauderdale and ending in San Francisco. It is a 15 day. We got the sale that included free gratuities and the all inclusive drink plan. Anyway I received an email from NCL regarding their sale. We have only been on NCL once, the Star and we did not care for it. But we still had a good time. Any suggestions on a trip to Panama Canal on NCL, like what ship and any veteran cruisers that have done the Canal on NCL.

Thanks

We are doing the Panama Canal in Jan. of 2019 on NCL's Star. I'm curious what you did not like about the ship.

From my research, NCL's ships that do the Panama Canal transit are the Sun and the Star. There may be others in their fleet that do this cruise, as well, and you can check their website to get more information on the ships.

Whatever line you cruise, hope you enjoy your trip!

For 2018, Norwegian will have a least 3 ships going through the Canal very the newest and largest (The Bliss using the New Canal), mid-ship (The Pearl- using the Old Canal) and one of the smallest ships (The Sun- using the Old Canal).

I am booked on The Bliss's Very First Canal Crossing in May of 2018 from Miami to Los Angeles. I have also sailed on The Pearl twice once in each direction, Can not wait to sail through The New Canal.

We are doing the Panama Canal in Jan. of 2019 on NCL's Star. I'm curious what you did not like about the ship.

From my research, NCL's ships that do the Panama Canal transit are the Sun and the Star. There may be others in their fleet that do this cruise, as well, and you can check their website to get more information on the ships.

It was falling apart. The carpet where we saw the show was coming up, my hubby fell down four steps. We had very slow service in the dining room. It took an hour for my husband to get his Cadillac margarita in the dining room. The service was poor in many areas. But we were with friends and we had a lot of fun. Maybe the ship has been refurbished since we went on, two years ago.

We just did the Panama Canal earlier this year on the NCL Jewel, the sister ship of the Pearl. We did the full transit and actually entered the canal directly behind the Island Princess.

I specifically chose the Jewel for two main reasons - the wonderful forward facing lounge, the Spinnaker, and the awesome aft Great Outdoors. These locations were great for canal viewing in comfort. We sat up in the Spinnaker lounge for the transit through the Gatun locks and then were all over the ship for the trip through the lake and the Pacific locks. It was wonderful to be in cool comfort. Many of the ships that transit the canal do not have the forward facing lounges. We also loved having our lunch al fresco in the Great Outdoors and not missing any of the scenery. For these reasons, I would recommend the Jewel class ships over the Island Princess or the NCL Star. I think the Bliss will be wonderful with it's forward facing lounge as well.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

We just did the Panama Canal earlier this year on the NCL Jewel, the sister ship of the Pearl. We did the full transit and actually entered the canal directly behind the Island Princess.

I specifically chose the Jewel for two main reasons - the wonderful forward facing lounge, the Spinnaker, and the awesome aft Great Outdoors. These locations were great for canal viewing in comfort. We sat up in the Spinnaker lounge for the transit through the Gatun locks and then were all over the ship for the trip through the lake and the Pacific locks. It was wonderful to be in cool comfort. Many of the ships that transit the canal do not have the forward facing lounges. We also loved having our lunch al fresco in the Great Outdoors and not missing any of the scenery. For these reasons, I would recommend the Jewel class ships over the Island Princess or the NCL Star. I think the Bliss will be wonderful with it's forward facing lounge as well.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Thank you. I have some thinking to do. I haven't read great reviews of the Island Princess. The Bliss looks nice, but huge. I'll call my TA tomorrow and see what she has to offer.

Jessica

I'm looking at the Panama cruise also, but I'd probably take the one that ends in New Orleans. I'm solo and NCL seems to be a good choice and it looks like an awesome experience.

We are fairly limited when we can go. We can go next November or beginning of December. Cruising over Thanksgiving Is fine.

Jessica

For 2018, Norwegian will have a least 3 ships going through the Canal very the newest and largest (The Bliss using the New Canal), mid-ship (The Pearl- using the Old Canal) and one of the smallest ships (The Sun- using the Old Canal).

I am booked on The Bliss's Very First Canal Crossing in May of 2018 from Miami to Los Angeles. I have also sailed on The Pearl twice once in each direction, Can not wait to sail through The New Canal.

I remember being on the Jewel in port in Miami about to cruise transatlantic to Athens as the Pearl was parked next to us about to head down through the Panama Canal. Thought to myself that would be a good one. But, alas, things at work have changed and it is not a good idea to be out 2 weeks.

So this will have to wait until retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

google or look at facebook concerning NCL Star problems.

read the maritime lawyer's comments

We want to the Panama Canal. Currently we have the Island Princess booked for next November leaving from Fort Lauderdale and ending in San Francisco. It is a 15 day. We got the sale that included free gratuities and the all inclusive drink plan. Anyway I received an email from NCL regarding their sale. We have only been on NCL once, the Star and we did not care for it. But we still had a good time. Any suggestions on a trip to Panama Canal on NCL, like what ship and any veteran cruisers that have done the Canal on NCL.

Thanks

Did the partial transit last year on NCL Pearl and loved it. Agree with previous post that on the Pearl, we went to the Spinnaker Lounge to watch the entry into the canal. On the return trip, I had a thermal spa pass, so I went to the thermal spa, which is also at the front of the ship, and had a perfect seat. Actually, no one else was in the spa at the time. Apparently, no one else thought to go to the spa for the view.

Most ships that sail Alaska will return thru the Panama Canal in Oct/Nov heading to Florida. We did a full transit on the Pearl 4 yrs ago, and a partial transit on the Pearl in the spring of 2016. Both were great cruises.....love the Pearl.

But you also might consider the Bliss, Nov 2018 thru the new locks. :D

I'm looking at the Panama cruise also, but I'd probably take the one that ends in New Orleans. I'm solo and NCL seems to be a good choice and it looks like an awesome experience.

There is already a very active roll call for the April 2O18 New Orleans to Seattle 21-day through the canal. I know it's the opposite direction of what you were thinking, but it sure looks like a fun group. I am on this with 2 friends.

There is already a very active roll call for the April 2O18 New Orleans to Seattle 21-day through the canal. I know it's the opposite direction of what you were thinking, but it sure looks like a fun group. I am on this with 2 friends.

That's not a bad idea...I have family in Seattle so it works well. :)