My thoughts on how to improve the LCV update

Andy

Exactly. The LVC rollout is one big empty promise. I feel duped - that is the issue for me.

That's my feeling too. In the grand scheme of things I can pay 45% of the internet cost and also the laundry charges (I would not be one of those heading toward the self service laundry facility), but in this protracted build up to the announcement and the detail (especially when other schemes within the RCCL family have been upgraded) it's a huge disappointment and has me thinking about the larger picture and what the plan is for Azamara. I'm currently rethinking my cruise plans for the future and very sad about it. Part of that decision comes out of how poorly Azamara are marketed here, a feeling I have had for some time.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I agree with your point exactly on not wanting to spend vacation in a small laundry room with people arguing and fighting over washers and dryers. We chose Azamara because it was more upscale and personal vs. RCCL and Celebrity. With that, came a higher price tag for our vacations. We earned our status cruising with Azamara and chose to put our dollars in a brand that we felt matched our vacation needs.

I am hoping someone from Azamara will answer the question as to why we pay much more on Azamara, sail on older/dated ships, have less amenities than the larger more modern ships.....but they take away what were the two most utilized benefits from the loyalty program? Celebrity pricing is much lower but they are still offering free laundry and internet minutes. I am sorry - but, I just don't get it!

Your new loyalty scheme offers no benefits to us. We will never earn free nights and the T's & C's for upgrades are too restrictive. The only benefits from loyalty we ever utilized were the laundry and internet. So - if a loyalty program offers no benefit to the consumer, why should we be loyal? Azamara is probably thinking that if we are willing to pay a much higher price for a cruise that we can certainly afford to pay for a bag of laundry and internet minutes. Yes - we can - but, it was a perk we earned by being loyal. Now you are asking us to pay even more. For a more "inclusive" cruise experience, you are starting new ways to nickel and dime your loyal customers. Dining packages, premium liquor packages, and now internet and laundry. I am excited that one of the specialty restaurants is changing. But, that will not entice us to cruise with Azamara again.

Rob and I are on the Journey now--can't change my font to what I like on this ship's computer but hey! at least the internet minutes are still free so I won't complain. ;) I have been reading snippets of the new changes and this is what I get so far: no welcoming bubbly when we step in our cabin as Discoverer members; no more freebie internet; no more free 12" x 24" bag of laundry. I will add my voice to those who say thumbs down to this and when we get back home I shall be writing a letter stating my dissatisfaction.

First things first. We're four days into our cruise and thus far it's been heavenly. We are relaxed and happy. So happy that I'm thinking that the removal of benefits won't change my thoughts about wanting to book again. I love Azamara. When it works--and it's working beautifully now--there's no compare. This is what a vacation ought to be. I already know I'm going to cry when I have to get off the ship in Barcelona and that's not the usual order of business for me.

So why am I going to howl to Azamara about my Le Club Voyage??? Why am I not liking these new offerings? This is why. We have used the free bag of laundry already. Our clothing has come back to our cabin pressed so beautifully that even my mother could not improve upon it. This makes me feel spoiled. I do tons of laundry at home. Having someone else treat me to laundry brings a smile to my face. Sure I could pay for it and in the scheme of things it's hardly a big deal. But to be treated to it because of my loyalty level? Priceless. I'm using the internet right now. Again, a treat. I don't need to use the internet for work while I'm away. Writing to CC right now is an indulgent treat for me before I traipse upstairs with Rob to dance to Marcio's fabulous music. We've long since sipped the bottle of bubbly dry, too. It is a lovely gesture for sailaway. We like seeing that bottle waiting for us when we open our cabin door the first time. We appreciate it very much.

So in short the three things that they're taking away from us are three things that make the voyage even better. These are things that I am enjoying while I am in board. Things I am enjoying in the present. And what are they giving me instead? Things that I can enjoy in the future. I don't want things that I have to wait for. I want things I can enjoy now. My Azamara cruise is already special. Having a simple bottle of wine in my cabin, laundry service, and internet just for fun make this moment better. I don't care about getting a bargain deal on a cruise I won't take until later. I want to feel special now while I am on the ship. And that's why Azamara is going to hear from me.

One other thing--I can't believe they'd make us pay for internet! As Andy says, reduce the benefits if they must but make us pay outright? This internet is miserable. It works very badly. To reply to a post I have to hit "control C" and copy it first. Then I hit "submit reply" and whoosh! it all disappears and I am completely logged out. So I must spend internet minutes logging back in again--not fast mind you--and work myself back to the forum. Then I must hit "Control V" to reply. It's a boatload of work to say my piece. I shouldn't complain because it's complementary but if I were paying to be inconvenienced like this, I'd be peeved. Oh Azamara what are you thinking of???? :eek:

Rob and I are on the Journey now--can't change my font to what I like on this ship's computer but hey! at least the internet minutes are still free so I won't complain. ;) I have been reading snippets of the new changes and this is what I get so far: no welcoming bubbly when we step in our cabin as Discoverer members; no more freebie internet; no more free 12" x 24" bag of laundry. I will add my voice to those who say thumbs down to this and when we get back home I shall be writing a letter stating my dissatisfaction.

First things first. We're four days into our cruise and thus far it's been heavenly. We are relaxed and happy. So happy that I'm thinking that the removal of benefits won't change my thoughts about wanting to book again. I love Azamara. When it works--and it's working beautifully now--there's no compare. This is what a vacation ought to be. I already know I'm going to cry when I have to get off the ship in Barcelona and that's not the usual order of business for me.

So why am I going to howl to Azamara about my Le Club Voyage??? Why am I not liking these new offerings? This is why. We have used the free bag of laundry already. Our clothing has come back to our cabin pressed so beautifully that even my mother could not improve upon it. This makes me feel spoiled. I do tons of laundry at home. Having someone else treat me to laundry brings a smile to my face. Sure I could pay for it and in the scheme of things it's hardly a big deal. But to be treated to it because of my loyalty level? Priceless. I'm using the internet right now. Again, a treat. I don't need to use the internet for work while I'm away. Writing to CC right now is an indulgent treat for me before I traipse upstairs with Rob to dance to Marcio's fabulous music. We've long since sipped the bottle of bubbly dry, too. It is a lovely gesture for sailaway. We like seeing that bottle waiting for us when we open our cabin door the first time. We appreciate it very much.

So in short the three things that they're taking away from us are three things that make the voyage even better. These are things that I am enjoying while I am in board. Things I am enjoying in the present. And what are they giving me instead? Things that I can enjoy in the future. I don't want things that I have to wait for. I want things I can enjoy now. My Azamara cruise is already special. Having a simple bottle of wine in my cabin, laundry service, and internet just for fun make this moment better. I don't care about getting a bargain deal on a cruise I won't take until later. I want to feel special now while I am on the ship. And that's why Azamara is going to hear from me.

Thanks for your heads on insight!

Beautifully expressed!

I just hope that the decision makers at Azamara will get to see what you wrote.

One other thing--I can't believe they'd make us pay for internet! As Andy says, reduce the benefits if they must but make us pay outright? This internet is miserable. It works very badly. To reply to a post I have to hit "control C" and copy it first. Then I hit "submit reply" and whoosh! it all disappears and I am completely logged out. So I must spend internet minutes logging back in again--not fast mind you--and work myself back to the forum. Then I must hit "Control V" to reply. It's a boatload of work to say my piece. I shouldn't complain because it's complementary but if I were paying to be inconvenienced like this, I'd be peeved. Oh Azamara what are you thinking of???? :eek:

Hi Deidre,

Thanks for your insights - sounds like we're on the same page. It's amazing that you've mentioned the Internet issues, as it seems little has changed. I recall losing several large posts the first couple of days of our sailing. I resorted to typing everything in Notepad first, as a backup plan.... and this was in 2011.

As if losing the complimentary internet wasn't displeasing enough, can you imagine what the onboard backlash will be like, if folks are paying for the internet, and dealing with all sorts of quirks, along with slow speeds, and system outages ? IMO, if they knew the system wasn't on par with newer ships.... this should have been a MAJOR factor in the decision making process. In the face of the LCV cutbacks, I'd be surprised if any upgrade of the onboard internet is likely - at least in the short term, as it would be very costly. Perhaps it will be addressed when the ships go into Drydock. Then again, all of this has me wondering about future Drydocks - but we'll leave that for another time.

Thanks very much for your update, and I wish you and Rob a wonderful time onboard Journey !

Hi Deidre,

Thanks for your insights - sounds like we're on the same page. It's amazing that you've mentioned the Internet issues, as it seems little has changed. I recall losing several large posts the first couple of days of our sailing. I resorted to typing everything in Notepad first, as a backup plan.... and this was in 2011.

As if losing the complimentary internet wasn't displeasing enough, can you imagine what the onboard backlash will be like, if folks are paying for the internet, and dealing with all sorts of quirks, along with slow speeds, and system outages ? IMO, if they knew the system wasn't on par with newer ships.... this should have been a MAJOR factor in the decision making process. In the face of the LCV cutbacks, I'd be surprised if any upgrade of the onboard internet is likely - at least in the short term, as it would be very costly. Perhaps it will be addressed when the ships go into Drydock. Then again, all of this has me wondering about future Drydocks - but we'll leave that for another time.

Thanks very much for your update, and I wish you and Rob a wonderful time onboard Journey !

We just returned home from the 12 night Black Sea cruise of Azamara Quest which ended September 1st in Istanbul.

I had hoped Azamara would one day offer “all internet included” as we were told Azamara wants to make its ships “paperless”.

On our cruise on Quest the wifi was so bad, our tablet (which really works everywhere all over the world and did so last year on Journey) had no connection in our cabin on deck 7.

We were told wifi works in public areas, in some cabins it may not work. I guess with more and more devices being used their system is stretched to its limits.

We would not pay for wifi that does not work in the cabin!

Spot on Deirdre, it's the little things that put a smile on faces not loads of possibly, sometimes, never.

Your post made me remember how happy we felt by getting the laundry all neat and lovely, hanging there, delivered, a gift. Like you, I spend my life doing laundry and it just made me happy, just remembering makes me smile and it's always part of our stories. The other thing we always say to people is the internet is a joke, thank goodness you don't have to pay for a massive amount of annoying waste of time.

Yvonne:)

Just want to add one thing. I feel the LVC is not a free perk (either old or new LVC) Everyone has given Azamara lots of money to reach a tier level where you get a perk. Therefore, you have paid for what you are getting. Now by removing the "perks" Azamara is keeping more for themselves.

Posted on the Cruise Critic Celebrity board today by Celebrity Cruises.:

Hi all,

Wanted to share this with the Cruise Critic community.

Celebrity Cruises has spent the last 15 months focused on listening to what our guests are looking for in their membership benefits. As a result, at the end of 2013, we revamped our program and added or improved upon many benefit offerings to our Captains Club members and have no intentions of taking any of those benefits away. We've also made additional changes in 2014 based on what our members are saying: "You asked, we listened" is our motto that we follow, always listening to guest feedback on ways to improve the overall guest experience and maintain customer loyalty.

~ Lee Moreau, Director of Loyalty

Azamara should take a lesson from Celebrity.

Posted on the Cruise Critic Celebrity board today by Celebrity Cruises.:

Hi all,

Wanted to share this with the Cruise Critic community.

Celebrity Cruises has spent the last 15 months focused on listening to what our guests are looking for in their membership benefits. As a result, at the end of 2013, we revamped our program and added or improved upon many benefit offerings to our Captains Club members and have no intentions of taking any of those benefits away. We've also made additional changes in 2014 based on what our members are saying: "You asked, we listened" is our motto that we follow, always listening to guest feedback on ways to improve the overall guest experience and maintain customer loyalty.

~ Lee Moreau, Director of Loyalty

Azamara should take a lesson from Celebrity.

PLus 1

Curious how two cruise lines that sail under the same "umbrella" could treat their loyal cruisers so differently.

Just want to add one thing. I feel the LVC is not a free perk (either old or new LVC) Everyone has given Azamara lots of money to reach a tier level where you get a perk. Therefore, you have paid for what you are getting. Now by removing the "perks" Azamara is keeping more for themselves.

That's what I think too. When we started cruising we devoted ourselves exclusively to the RCI brand with the idea that our eye was on the prize--er, perks. I like what we have as Discoverer, Elite & Diamond. I make no apology for it. I'm glad we never dabbled in other lines because it would have taken us twice as long to get what we have now. We made a conscious decision to keep our money in the same pot. Now, as much as I adore Azamara, I may not have that same loyalty. And why should I when they've acted so shabbily toward us? This latest stunt makes no sense to me. Internet minutes for Discoverer? Less than $100. Bubbly in cabin? Less than $50. Laundry? Less than $50. So assuming two Discoverers in one cabin (ie, my husband and me) they've given us around $300 in perks, which respresents less than 5% of our cruise fare. My travel agent gives me far more than that in OBC all the time. Azamara: the king of penny-wise and pound-foolish.

PLus 1

Curious how two cruise lines that sail under the same "umbrella" could treat their loyal cruisers so differently.

Hi Pacheco18,

It's pretty amazing, isn't it ? Part of this is due to two entirely separate teams at Celebrity and Azamara. It's fairly obvious there's 2 completely different mindsets.

Just a guess... but I have to believe that Celebrity is well aware of the unhappiness from Azamara's guests, and I suspect they see an opportunity, especially since many of Azamara's guests frequently sail with Celebrity, and vice versa.

With Azamara's announcement - there was an active discussion on the Celebrity forum, with folks wondering if Celebrity might make changes to their loyalty program - to which I repeatedly stated, that I'd be shocked if Celebrity made any negative changes for the forseeable future. Thankfully, Celebrity confirmed this today. IMO, Celebrity handled the speculation very well. Kudos to them.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Pacheco18,

It's pretty amazing, isn't it ? Part of this is due to two entirely separate teams at Celebrity and Azamara. It's fairly obvious there's 2 completely different mindsets.

Just a guess... but I have to believe that Celebrity is well aware of the unhappiness from Azamara's guests, and I suspect they see an opportunity, especially since many of Azamara's guests frequently sail with Celebrity, and vice versa.

With Azamara's announcement - there was an active discussion on the Celebrity forum, with folks wondering if Celebrity might make changes to their loyalty program - to which I repeatedly stated, that I'd be shocked if Celebrity made any negative changes for the forseeable future. Thankfully, Celebrity confirmed this today. IMO, Celebrity handled the speculation very well. Kudos to them.

Agree. Very smart of them to respond so quickly. Azamara could take a lesson from them. Their silence is deafening.

I have sailed Celebrity four times. While I tend to avoid the larger ships now (except I am trying Allure for the fun of it LOL) in favor of a more intimate experience, I would sail Celebrity again. IMO best value at sea. And I think their specialty restaurants are phenomenal.

We will be trying their new suite experience and restaurants in 2015, I will post a comparison after that trip as I am sure we will discover things that may or may not encourage others to Celebrity

We will be trying their new suite experience and restaurants in 2015, I will post a comparison after that trip as I am sure we will discover things that may or may not encourage others to Celebrity

The experiences are not really comparable BUT you will get great value for your money.

That's what I think too. When we started cruising we devoted ourselves exclusively to the RCI brand with the idea that our eye was on the prize--er, perks. I like what we have as Discoverer, Elite & Diamond. I make no apology for it. I'm glad we never dabbled in other lines because it would have taken us twice as long to get what we have now. We made a conscious decision to keep our money in the same pot. Now, as much as I adore Azamara, I may not have that same loyalty. And why should I when they've acted so shabbily toward us? This latest stunt makes no sense to me. Internet minutes for Discoverer? Less than $100. Bubbly in cabin? Less than $50. Laundry? Less than $50. So assuming two Discoverers in one cabin (ie, my husband and me) they've given us around $300 in perks, which respresents less than 5% of our cruise fare. My travel agent gives me far more than that in OBC all the time. Azamara: the king of penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Hi Dedire,

You've made some excellent points ! However, I believe your calculations on the bubbly and laundry are high, and probably cost Azamara far less than $50 each. This is purely a guess, but I suspect the wholesale cost to Azamara for both items are well under $50 total. As for the internet, I have no idea how much it actually costs them, but I'd suspect it's a fraction of the dollar versus the retail pricing. I've asked folks in the industry about this, and they've told me there's a healthy markup in the internet pricing.

Of the items eliminated, I believe the lions share of the cost is in the internet, and far less in the bubbly and laundry. That's why I suggested eliminating several of the newly proposed benefits, in order to cover at least some of the cost of the internet.

Believe me, I appreciate that nearly everyone is upset, and Azamara's minimal commentary within Social Media isn't encouraging. With that said, I continue to have faith in Larry Pimentel. When all is said and done, I hope he will evaluate the situation, listen to his guests, and make things right. While that may not mean a total rollback, I remain hopeful there's a decent chance of a reasonable compromise ahead.

I realize I'm probably the only one left standing who thinks Azamara might reconsider, but I cannot possibly imagine that Azamara is going to sit there and accept the universally negative feedback, only to dismiss it. Perhaps I will be proven wrong, but my gut feeling is, there's reasons to hope for a better outcome. Why do I feel this way ? IMO, what's transpired over the past week, totally goes against everything I've learned (and subsequently taught to countless others) in 36 years of sales and senior management roles. While few wish to give Azamara any credit at the moment, I firmly believe they are much smarter than anyone cares to consider.

In life, and in the business world... *everyone* makes mistakes. The great ones know to admit it, make things right, and move forward. I truly hope this will be the case for Azamara.

Apologies in advance if my optimism proves to be inaccurate. I always try to look at things in a positive manner. What can I say - I'm a glass is half full person :). Stay Tuned !

Edited by Host Andy

The experiences are not really comparable BUT you will get great value for your money.

I do not think we can quite say that yet. I would agree the current experiences are not, but when the new suite product rolls out they might be much closer to being so

On our cruise on Quest the wifi was so bad, our tablet (which really works everywhere all over the world and did so last year on Journey) had no connection in our cabin on deck 7.

We were told wifi works in public areas, in some cabins it may not work. I guess with more and more devices being used their system is stretched to its limits.

We would not pay for wifi that does not work in the cabin!

Just a head's up that if you crack open your cabin door you will "typically" notice an improvement to your wifi connection especially if a repeater is nearby. The cabin doors are metal and greatly block the wifi signal.

We were in 6088 last year and there was a repeater right outside our door. Door closed wifi was marginal at best, crack open the door just a couple of inches using the door stop the attendant uses and voila! Wifi was at full strength.

Simple tricks of cruising...:D

That being said, the internet is still slow (well, we are at sea!) and paying for it will be distasteful if the speed is not improved upon. No working internet eliminates my opportunity to take a cruise vacation due to work. If the quality of the speed remains the same then it should continue to be complimentary IMO, but if I have to pay for the service then it should perform to reflect the cost or I would request a refund of course.

Edited by LOP