My thoughts on how to improve the LCV update

Andy

I just had a phone call from AZ regarding an email that I had sent to them over a month ago about our rebooking excursions when we changed promos to the BOGO offer. Glad that I didn't hold my breath for a response.

While on the phone, I asked about whether or not AZ may revise the LCV benefits since we will certainly miss the free laundry and internet. He told me that AZ was working on a revised LCV program.:D

Fingers crossed!!

I just had a phone call from AZ regarding an email that I had sent to them over a month ago about our rebooking excursions when we changed promos to the BOGO offer. Glad that I didn't hold my breath for a response.

While on the phone, I asked about whether or not AZ may revise the LCV benefits since we will certainly miss the free laundry and internet. He told me that AZ was working on a revised LCV program.:D

Fingers crossed!!

Interesting

Just a head's up that if you crack open your cabin door you will "typically" notice an improvement to your wifi connection especially if a repeater is nearby. The cabin doors are metal and greatly block the wifi signal.

We were in 6088 last year and there was a repeater right outside our door. Door closed wifi was marginal at best, crack open the door just a couple of inches using the door stop the attendant uses and voila! Wifi was at full strength.

Simple tricks of cruising...:D

That being said, the internet is still slow (well, we are at sea!) and paying for it will be distasteful if the speed is not improved upon. No working internet eliminates my opportunity to take a cruise vacation due to work. If the quality of the speed remains the same then it should continue to be complimentary IMO, but if I have to pay for the service then it should perform to reflect the cost or I would request a refund of course.

What is abundantly clear is that RCL has not( and probably will not) invest the necessary dollars to upgrade the internet and band width. RCL's larger ships are getting upgraded all the time. It is another example of RCL's lack of commitment to the AZ brand. Some of RCL ships can handle Skype- try that on AZ.

Opening your cabin door to get decent? internet is not "bespoke".

Fingers crossed!!

Hi Sandyss, I'm sorry it took so long to get a call back re the BOGO promotion...things have been a wee bit crazy :eek:

As for the LCV program, which we are confident will prove satisfactory in the long-term, in the near short-term there will no doubt be some fine-tuning to the program. You can rest assured everyone's comments are not falling on deaf ears.

Bonnie

Thank you for letting us know that there might be some fine tuning and the CC posts are being watched.

There are many of us on this board that have been loyal Azamara supporters, and the new LCV program does nothing to reward loyalty. I worked with an airline loyalty program and this scheme goes against every sales and marketing principle that I have ever learned.

When the announcement was delayed.....we waited for something exciting and worthy of an upper tier cruise line. Instead, what we received was a reduction in benefits and no improvement in the "points earned" structure of Azamara vs. Celebrity. If the programs will continue to be reciprical, the points earned need to reflect the higher price paid on Azamara vs. Celebrity. What is even more confusing is why on the lower priced Celebrity, the benefits were enhanced and there is still the offer of laundry and internet. When you pay a higher price for a cruise and remain loyal, you expect the benefits to increase. Instead there is more nickel and diming with add ons or higher charges for specialty dining, beverage packages, bespoke coffee, much higher cruise prices and now paying for internet and laundry. Azamara is beginning to sound like EasyJet and not a top tier cruise line.

As for the LCV program, which we are confident will prove satisfactory in the long-term, in the near short-term there will no doubt be some fine-tuning to the program. You can rest assured everyone's comments are not falling on deaf ears.

Bonnie

Thanks for the update Bonnie. This entire episode is so upsetting, as Azamara had a very good loyalty program, and took it entirely in the wrong direction. With all due respect, a "satisfactory" loyalty program isn't going to bring much happiness to the Azamara faithful.

If I could be marketing manager for 1 day, I'd want nothing less than a world class loyalty program - befitting a world class cruise line. I'd expect it to be equal or better than what Celebrity currently offers. I realize that to have any expectations of "better than Celebrity", is silly at this point... but I'd be thrilled if Azamara reverted to something resembling what existed before the latest batch of updates.

It's unimaginable, how Celebrity could massively upgrade their Captains Club program in recent months, while Azamara has downgraded their program. Not sure how anyone in Miami thought that would sit well with your guests. It's a real head scratcher, and one of the many reasons why Azamara should have polled their most loyal guests, before making such radical changes. Had they done so, this saga could have been avoided.

At any rate, I'm encouraged that my optimism may not be for naught, and Azamara will ideally make things right. Hope we'll be hearing from you shortly.

Thanks again to you, and everyone in Miami for listening to our insights.

Thanks for the update Bonnie. This entire episode is so upsetting, as Azamara had a very good loyalty program, and took it entirely in the wrong direction. With all due respect, a "satisfactory" loyalty program isn't going to bring much happiness to the Azamara faithful.

If I could be marketing manager for 1 day, I'd want nothing less than a world class loyalty program - befitting a world class cruise line. I'd expect it to be equal or better than what Celebrity currently offers. I realize that to have any expectations of "better than Celebrity", is silly at this point... but I'd be thrilled if Azamara reverted to something resembling what existed before the latest batch of updates.

It's unimaginable, how Celebrity could massively upgrade their Captains Club program in recent months, while Azamara has downgraded their program. Not sure how anyone in Miami thought that would sit well with your guests. It's a real head scratcher, and one of the many reasons why Azamara should have polled their most loyal guests, before making such radical changes. Had they done so, this saga could have been avoided.

At any rate, I'm encouraged that my optimism may not be for naught, and Azamara will ideally make things right. Hope we'll be hearing from you shortly.

The irony of course will be that even if Miami furiously backpedals and reinstates or 'fine tunes' part of the revamp, they will still end up with a program no better than it was, but with a core of loyal repeat cruisers thinking harder about looking at the competition.

I'm still shaking my head.

The irony of course will be that even if Miami furiously backpedals and reinstates or 'fine tunes' part of the revamp, they will still end up with a program no better than it was, but with a core of loyal repeat cruisers thinking harder about looking at the competition.

I'm still shaking my head.

It takes years to gain trust and about a minute to lose it.

I think that there were a couple of clues in the original communication that what has been announced might not be the full picture. Firstly why mention that your current points will carry over? then there is the wording regarding earning points on both Celebrity & Azamara "until further notice" usually means the end has been planned and is in sight.

Surprisingly no one seems to have mentioned the final line of the announcement "Stay tuned for more detail, the best is yet to come" I am sure there is something in this that will make the faithful happy.

In the mean time we will continue to cruise with Azamara as we enjoy the product, itineraries and onboard service, perks may be the icing on the cake but you have to enjoy the cake in the first place:)

Surprisingly no one seems to have mentioned the final line of the announcement "Stay tuned for more detail, the best is yet to come" I am sure there is something in this that will make the faithful happy.

I'm afraid I don't share your optimism. Unless they backtrack on what has already been announced I don't see anything further. It's taken them so long to come out with what we now have and Azamara have stated what a difficult decision it was to remove the free stuff. They,d be crazy to rile many of their cruisers up in this way. If there was more that was significant they would have announced it all together.

As long as I can remember back the LCV points have always carried the proviso that there is reciprocity with Celebrity "for now".

I too love the ship experience, but I really hate being treated like a fool and that is how I feel I am being treated by Azamara corporate. It has made me think for sure.

Phil

I'm afraid I don't share your optimism. Unless they backtrack on what has already been announced I don't see anything further. It's taken them so long to come out with what we now have and Azamara have stated what a difficult decision it was to remove the free stuff. They,d be crazy to rile many of their cruisers up in this way. If there was more that was significant they would have announced it all together.

As long as I can remember back the LCV points have always carried the proviso that there is reciprocity with Celebrity "for now".

I too love the ship experience, but I really hate being treated like a fool and that is how I feel I am being treated by Azamara corporate. It has made me think for sure.

Phil

You've hit the nail on the head, Phil. As you know we're on the Journey right now and it's been one of the most incredible cruises we've ever done. A "perfect storm" of excellent weather, cheerful crew, mouthwatering food, and fabulous ports. We could not ask for more. And, as has been mentioned, while the freebies they've stolen away from us don't have a lot of value--I mean, a bottle of bubbly, a bag of laundry, and internet--that's absolutely not what this brouhaha is about. It's about the principle of the thing. We've exhibited loyalty and in exchange for a few lost perks it we've been told that they're giving us greater, more Azamazing things to enjoy and that ain't exactly the way it works. I think the Emperor has no clothes and he can parade all he wants but to the majority of us here, he's nekkid as a jaybird. :(

You've hit the nail on the head, Phil. As you know we're on the Journey right now and it's been one of the most incredible cruises we've ever done. A "perfect storm" of excellent weather, cheerful crew, mouthwatering food, and fabulous ports. We could not ask for more. And, as has been mentioned, while the freebies they've stolen away from us don't have a lot of value--I mean, a bottle of bubbly, a bag of laundry, and internet--that's absolutely not what this brouhaha is about. It's about the principle of the thing. We've exhibited loyalty and in exchange for a few lost perks it we've been told that they're giving us greater, more Azamazing things to enjoy and that ain't exactly the way it works. I think the Emperor has no clothes and he can parade all he wants but to the majority of us here, he's nekkid as a jaybird. :(

wish there was a "like" button on CC

Hi Host Andy, et.al. - keep the faith...we are listening.

Bonnie

Bonnie

Bonnie,

Listening is good. Doing would be even better!

Thank you for your continued presence on these boards. Reading these posts must be very uncomfortable for you although I'm sure you realise that our comments are aimed at management in Miami not you.

The next time we hear from Azamara Joel I hope it is with news that will make us all happier. There has been no mixed response from us. Virtually everyone feels let down by Azmara

Bonnie

I do hope this is true. We have sailed 9 cruises with Azamara since 2011 and have 2 more prior to 2015. I would be very disappointed to say goodbye to this line but I am afraid it is most definatly on the cards if the LCV programme remains unchaged from this announcement. I feel cheated and not valued therefore our business shall transfer to a line who really appreciates the value of loyalty

Vicki

Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie. I feel as if I'm the only one left standing, with any optimism. Hope we'll be hearing from Azamara soon.

Thanks Bonnie. I feel as if I'm the only one left standing, with any optimism. Hope we'll be hearing from Azamara soon.

I think when you are bruised you are scared to be optimistic as you don't want to be hurt again. You are made of tougher stuff Andy!

But fingers crossed.

Bonnie, I hope you encourage your colleagues to do some more what's in it for me modelling than it feels happened before - making sure they do it from the customer perspective. They have our sailing profiles, know our current points, our room type preferences etc etc

I think when you are bruised you are scared to be optimistic as you don't want to be hurt again. You are made of tougher stuff Andy!

But fingers crossed.

Hi Uktog,

I hear you.... but... perhaps there's reason to be optimistic. Larry Pimentel just posted : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2100616

Fingers crossed here too :)

Hi Uktog,

I hear you.... but... perhaps there's reason to be optimistic. Larry Pimentel just posted : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2100616

I guess we all read things differently.

I get no optimism from that post.

Sounds to me like he is "digging in."

I guess time will tell.

I guess time will tell.

Hi Pacheco18,

FWIW, I did read it differently, and did not get a sense of digging in. We'll see what happens.

I guess time will tell.

I read his post and just about gagged! It came across as well written lip service. I am sorry for those of you that lost the little things that are really important!

Hi Uktog,

Indeed as I have said on the other post, it is good to read that there has been some listening now and whilst we may not get all the benefits we each want (could we ever), I take it as very positive that a board is being established from cruise critic members.

It will be interesting to see how this all shapes out but I believe the CEO is on a hiding to nothing some of the time when he comes to these board s - we should be thankful he comes at all

Edited by uktog

It seems like some people can't ever write a positive post!

Larry P has said they will revisit the Loyalty Programme, so let's wait to see what Azamara decides before slamming them.

They have to see that removing the Internet and Laundry benefits is probably the most unpopular decision they have ever made...so let's hope they have the business sense to reconsider it.