Specialty Dining Question

juliestevev

I'm hoping someone can help me with a specialty dining question. I'm in Aqua class and called Celebrity to book dining. They said I can get 20% the first night, only, for dining. So I didn't book yet, because from what I've read on these posts, they offer discounts onboard. I've read some people get offered 50% the first night and 20% on other nights. So it must be better and wait until your onboard? I'm just hoping the times I would like to go will still be available. I'm not sure what I should do. I obviously would really like the discount but also don't want them to book up. Hmmm.

IRRC it is only Aqua class, which applies to you, that is offered the 50% the first night, and I am not sure that it always applies. Someone else can help with that. If certain times are important, it is probably better to book ahead. We eat later, so have had no problem with booking on board. Also, not every cruise/specialty offers discounts. It depends on how booked they are.

Edited by kenevenpar

I'm hoping someone can help me with a specialty dining question. I'm in Aqua class and called Celebrity to book dining. They said I can get 20% the first night, only, for dining. So I didn't book yet, because from what I've read on these posts, they offer discounts onboard. I've read some people get offered 50% the first night and 20% on other nights. So it must be better and wait until your onboard? I'm just hoping the times I would like to go will still be available. I'm not sure what I should do. I obviously would really like the discount but also don't want them to book up. Hmmm.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. This topic has been frequently discussed in numerous other threads. I have included a few links for you to look at.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2167882&highlight=specialty+dining

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2161913&highlight=specialty+dining

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2160212&highlight=specialty+dining

Ultimately, you need to be aware that there is no "guarantee" that discounts will be offered once on board. The discounts are incentives only offered to increase the number of reservations at these dining venues when people have not made advanced reservations. You should also be aware that the cover price for each venue is higher when booked on board vs. booking pre-cruise.

I find the 3/4/5 night dining packages to provide the most value and usually book these in advance of the cruise.

Edited by vulcan1971

You should also be aware that the cover price for each venue is higher when booked on board vs. booking pre-cruise.

Does anyone know what the current price is for specialty restuarants if booked onboard? The UK website shows them priced at £26.80 per person if you pre-book which equals about $41.

We are also trying to decide whether to pre-book or see if there are any discounts once onboard.

We are doing our first Celebrity cruise in June. I wanted a specialty restaurant on a certain night. I booked that in advance on my Credit Card. However, I will try to get Quisine on a discount after we board. Not fussy what day or time so I'll take my chances to use OBC.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. This topic has been frequently discussed in numerous other threads. I have included a few links for you to look at.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2167882&highlight=specialty+dining

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2161913&highlight=specialty+dining

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2160212&highlight=specialty+dining

Ultimately, you need to be aware that there is no "guarantee" that discounts will be offered once on board. The discounts are incentives only offered to increase the number of reservations at these dining venues when people have not made advanced reservations. You should also be aware that the cover price for each venue is higher when booked on board vs. booking pre-cruise.

I find the 3/4/5 night dining packages to provide the most value and usually book these in advance of the cruise.

Good to hear. We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in a few weeks, booked the 4 night specialty dining package in advance:D:)

Does anyone know what the current price is for specialty restuarants if booked onboard? The UK website shows them priced at £26.80 per person if you pre-book which equals about $41.

We are also trying to decide whether to pre-book or see if there are any discounts once onboard.

Pre-Cruise pricing (from Celebrity website):

Murano (Ocean Liners, The Normandie, SS United States, The Olympic): $45

Qsine: $45

Tuscan Grille: $35

Not sure if you have a particular restaurant or ship in mind. Based on reports I have been reading, restaurants like Murano (or Ocean Liners, The Normandie, SS United States, The Olympic, etc) have been charging $50 USD to book when on the ship. I thought I had read that Tuscan Grille was $45 to book on the ship. If others can confirm their experience, that would be great.

We sailed on the Silhouette in January and sailed C2 Class. When we boarded all the specialty restaurants people were out selling packages. We ate at the Lawn Club Grill the first night and received 35% off. We also dined in Tuscan Grill, Murano and Quisine. We received 20% at all of these. I am not sure if they were having trouble with people booking but we got in a the time requested and had wonderful meals at all. Hope you enjoy your cruise and safe travels!

Pre-Cruise pricing (from Celebrity website):

Murano (Ocean Liners, The Normandie, SS United States, The Olympic): $45

Qsine: $45

Tuscan Grille: $35

Not sure if you have a particular restaurant or ship in mind. Based on reports I have been reading, restaurants like Murano (or Ocean Liners, The Normandie, SS United States, The Olympic, etc) have been charging $50 USD to book when on the ship. I thought I had read that Tuscan Grille was $45 to book on the ship. If others can confirm their experience, that would be great.

On Equinox, Murano was $50/person when booking onboard.

We usually waited a few days & the discounts would vary by each rest. Frequently Qsine had discounts over 25%(up to 50% near cruise end)Murano usually was about 20-25%. Tuscan frequently had little discounting, as they are the most poular.

On a recent cruise on Reflection, there was a 20% discount on the first night for everyone. Nothing more for those in Aqua Class. On other nights, there were no discounts on any of the Specialty Restaurants. This was in contrast to a previous cruise. So it must be related to supply and demand.

The prices were $50 for Murano and $45 for all the others when booked on the ship.

On a recent cruise on Reflection, there was a 20% discount on the first night for everyone. Nothing more for those in Aqua Class. On other nights, there were no discounts on any of the Specialty Restaurants. This was in contrast to a previous cruise. So it must be related to supply and demand.

The prices were $50 for Murano and $45 for all the others when booked on the ship.

We recently booked the four night specialty package on Reflection for 129/pp. Based on those numbers that is a 30% overall discount over booking on board prices - sounds good to me:)

This is what we've done to get the days and times we want in the specialties. We book and pay for them before the cruise. Then we know we're set. We obviously pay full price for the meal(s).

Once on board we go to the table and talk to them. Tell them we're in AQ and see if there is a discount. The last 3 years there has been one. We have never had a problem with them crediting us to our OBC the difference. So basically you're buying some OBC. We have eaten in Tuscan Grill on night #1 probably the last 5 cruises. Kind of our tradition now.

We always book in advance every night, once aboard we convert to the Ultimate Dining Package @ 29$/pp/night. That is the best deal, every night in either Murano orTuscan and free access to Bistro on Five every day thus avoiding the scrum / trough at the Ocean viewcafe

There always seems to be some kind of specialty restaurant deal nearly every night, just ask. The first night and formal always seem to have a great discount. Hopefully they keep the Ultimate Dining Pkg. It's great to do SR dining every night, no crowds, and always a top notch dinner.

We always book in advance every night, once aboard we convert to the Ultimate Dining Package @ 29$/pp/night. That is the best deal, every night in either Murano orTuscan and free access to Bistro on Five every day thus avoiding the scrum / trough at the Ocean viewcafe

You have forgotten lunch in the specialty restaurants when offered as well!

I thought I read on here that Ultimate Dining package was not available on every cruise?

Correct. It will not be offered on cruises where they have no difficulty selling enough specialty dining [such as 5-night or shorter cruises] nor on any cruise when they have pre-sold enough specialty dining.

I thought I read on here that Ultimate Dining package was not available on every cruise?

True, furthermore the number of Ultimate Dining packages is limited and varies.

On our most recent Christmas & New Years cruise on the Eclipse no Ultimate Dining Packages were available. Also, there were NO discounts in the upscale restaurants because they were so heavily booked.

On our previous cruise before that we boarded fairly early and immediately went to the sales table for the upscale restaurants. We purchased the Ultimate Package at that time. Friends of hours boarded about an hour later and found that no more Ultimate Dining Packages were being sold.

SO, the bottom line is that you probably need to buy the Ultimate Dining Package early in the over all boarding process if they are being offered on your cruise.

Bon voyage and bon appetite.

:):):)

SO, the bottom line is that you probably need to buy the Ultimate Dining Package early in the over all boarding process if they are being offered on your cruise.

Usually, you will find a specialty dining desk next to the suite check-in desk and can book before you board [unless, of course, they change the practice one the new suite perks come into force].

True, furthermore the number of Ultimate Dining packages is limited and varies.

On our most recent Christmas & New Years cruise on the Eclipse no Ultimate Dining Packages were available. Also, there were NO discounts in the upscale restaurants because they were so heavily booked.

On our previous cruise before that we boarded fairly early and immediately went to the sales table for the upscale restaurants. We purchased the Ultimate Package at that time. Friends of hours boarded about an hour later and found that no more Ultimate Dining Packages were being sold.

Bon voyage and bon appetite.

:):):)

My question is if you book the ultimate dining package would the seating always be a table for two? We like the main dining room because we love the conversation with others

My question is if you book the ultimate dining package would the seating always be a table for two? We like the main dining room because we love the conversation with others

Unfortunately, this [iMHO] is the major disadvantage with eating in the specialty restaurants - they will not seat you with others [on request, of course]. If you should like to eat with others, you must make up your own party and/or join the Wine Dinners/Chef's Table [which require an additional fee].