Looking for different things to do in Key West

pumkinspeanut

I've been cruising all my life. Went on my first cruise at age 5. And even introduced my boyfriend to cruising, he ultimately proposed to me whilst on a cruise and we went on honeymoon on a cruise.

Back in the day, ships only stopped at Key West for half a day, which was barely enough time to do anything.

Last year my husband and I went on Holland America's Eurodam and our stop in Key West was the whole day 08h00 - 17h00.

We spent the whole day roaming the streets of Key West.

This December we're going on Holland America's Westerdam, for the Christmas cruise, which will also be stopping in Key West all day. I'm actually not even looking forward to it, as we did everything we wanted to do in Key West already. And the thought of walking past bar after bar after tobacco store, is rather boring. :confused: And we ate enough Conch fritters to last a lifetime.

So we're looking for new ideas and things to do in Key West. Any suggestions?

We're 28 and 33 years old, not big drinkers. We love to eat interesting food. We don't have kids. We're physically able to do anything. We're not interested in Hemmingway or literature or Harry Truman's Little White House. And we already went to the shipwreck treasure museum and even bought some little treasure coins. We had a pass on the hop on hop off trolley. And we don't want to do a ghost tour in broad daylight :eek:

We're looking to do something exciting that will use up our entire day in Key West.

Maybe even leaving Key West and going somewhere else in the Lower Keys?

Any suggestions out of the ordinary and not an "excursion", are welcome.

Thank you.

My 11 year daughter and I did parasailing in August. We did it as an excursion, but you could do it on your own. FURY Water Adventures is who RCI uses, but you can set up private parasailing trips thru FURY also. That didn't take up the entire day, just the morning. Then we had lunch and did a bit of shopping. There are also kayaking trips on Key West that I'm sure take up most of the day.

Aft Cabins Rule

You could hit the Key West Botanical Garden in the West Martello Tower on Higgs Beach ---> http://keywestbotanicalgarden.org/ Walkable but better bikable.

And there's another small but nice garden inside of the Casa Antigua ---> http://keywesthistoricmarkertour.org/Markers_Detail.php?ProductID=6

There are some nice things to see in there

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a3d820b3127cd29e3108c6d52900000010O00AbtHLVw2as2YPbtx-/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00303568594720130601115528692.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/?tn=1923359757

And you could bring your bathing suits and spend the day at Dante's ---> http://danteskeywest.com/

Pjk

Thanks. We've Parasailed in Mauritius in the Indian Ocean. It was incredible.

I think I'll look into the Kayaking trip, my husband did Rowing in high school, so at least he knows what to do. I'll just sit back and enjoy the scenery :P

If you have not been to the Dry Tortugas this is a trip you will talk about for years. The scenery is breathtaking and the time at the fort is quite enjoyable not to mention the water take offs and landings.

http://keywestseaplanecharters.com/drytortugas-sightseeing-flight/default.asp

Mike:)

Rent an electric car and tour around the island yourself. Head to Jamaica Village and wander around, eat at Blue Heaven, walk through the cemetary and read the fully epitaths on the gravestones. There's a seafood restaurant (hopefully someone can help out here) that is located near, but just off KW that's supposed to be fantastic.

If your ship is in port all day again, you could rent a car and take a ride up the keys to Bahia Honda State Park. The beaches are beautiful (when there is not sea grass everywhere!) There are nature trails and you can go out on one of the old bridges over the water. I believe that you can rent kayaks there, or go on snorkeling tours. It is about an hour drive from Key West, but, it is a beautiful ride!

• 4 months later...
Rent an electric car and tour around the island yourself....There's a seafood restaurant (hopefully someone can help out here) that is located near, but just off KW that's supposed to be fantastic.

Hogfish out on Stock Island is excellent, and it's located on a working shrimp dock. It's a great off-the-beaten-path loaction.

One thing though...it's actually illegal to leave Key West in those electric cars.

• 1 month later...