Walk off with luggage?

alyssa0922

I think I have seen somewhere on this board that Princess allows you to walk off with your own luggage. How does this work, what time are you able to get off the ship, do you have to speak with your room steward or someone else? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think I have seen somewhere on this board that Princess allows you to walk off with your own luggage. How does this work, what time are you able to get off the ship, do you have to speak with your room steward or someone else? Thank you!

About midway through the cruise there is paperwork usually distributed.

I would check at the passenger services desk. Make sure you don't wait too late in the cruise.

You can usually pick a time and you must be able to handle all of your luggage as no assistance is available until you get near the exit in the terminal.

A few days before disembarkation, you'll receive a form to fill out and one of the options is self-disembarkation. You'll be given a place to meet where there will be announcements of which group can disembark next.

You must be able to handle all of your luggage and carry-on and have one hand free for the escalator. You will receive no assistance.

Be aware that sometimes, the later self-disembarkation groups are at the same time or later than the regular disembarkation groups.

The above posters have explained everything.

Just adding ... Do make absolutely sure you can handle all of your luggage with no assistance whatsoever with one have free for the escalator.

We have seem some who thought they could but had an extremely difficult time trying to do so. :(

LuLu

This also depends on what time the ship actually docks and how soon customs gives the ok to start letting passengers leave. If the time is important to you make sure you turn in the form as soon as you receive it and check it when you get your tags back. It may not be what you want and going down to the Pursers desk as soon as possible will help avoid those last minute lines .

The above posters have explained everything.

Just adding ... Do make absolutely sure you can handle all of your luggage with no assistance whatsoever with one have free for the escalator.

We have seem some who thought they could but had an extremely difficult time trying to do so. :(

LuLu

I've witnessed Princess shore staff direct these people to the elevators (and usually a very long waiting line) and not allow them to use the escalators. This effectively can slow you down to the point where you'd be better off letting Princess off load your luggage.

If you have any doubt that you can handle all your luggage/belongings with one hand free, please request the earliest non-self disembarkation. There is very little time difference between the two and you won't slow down those who are behind you watching you struggle. After using self-disembarkation since it was first introduced, we have now switched to putting our luggage out and going with the first group after self-disembarkation. The time gained getting off early was often lost by being behind people blocking the way with more luggage than they could comfortably handle.

The time gained getting off early was often lost by being behind people blocking the way with more luggage than they could comfortably handle.
Isn't that the truth! Not just going down the escalator but going through the relatively narrow Immigration line. It takes self-disembarkers a lot longer to stop and get out their documents.

It's not unusual for it to take 15-20 minutes in line to get an elevator. What bugs me is the people doing self-disembarkation pushing ahead of those in wheelchairs or needing assistance, literally pushing them aside. I've seen it quite a few times.

DH got it into his head that this was a great idea, so we tried it twice. Once we were the first in line off the ship, and it wasn't so bad. The next time we got caught in the endless Immigration Customs line, and it took forever. Now we sit in the disembarkation lounge and drink coffee where I often need to remind him that self-debarkation is still a bad idea. Of course, this is the guy who made the kids get out of bed before dawn on vacation once so we could be the first in line at the scheduled roadblock over Donner Pass. :rolleyes:

Edited by shredie

Isn't that the truth! Not just going down the escalator but going through the relatively narrow Immigration line. It takes self-disembarkers a lot longer to stop and get out their documents.

It's not unusual for it to take 15-20 minutes in line to get an elevator. What bugs me is the people doing self-disembarkation pushing ahead of those in wheelchairs or needing assistance, literally pushing them aside. I've seen it quite a few times.

Ya know Pam I agree with a lot of things that you post but I find this comment a bit rude. I am one of those self Disembarkers and I don't take longer to get my documents out for Immigration. We have everything ready before we even leave the ship. We are able to manage our bags quite nicely and can even carry them down the escalators with out any problems and I'm no spring chicken. Please don't lump us all into one category.

Walt, most people are very good but as always, it takes just a few to give the wrong impression for all. And I've seen so many struggling with their luggage and "stuff" to just go the length of the pier.

Ok you're forgiven. :)

So, if I have carry on luggage only, how does it work with the Princess transfers? I'm cruising for the first time by myself (12th cruise!) and just realized I have no idea what is the beys course of action after I read this thread! I have no problem carrying my own luggage, btw.

TIA

:-) Carrie

So, if I have carry on luggage only, how does it work with the Princess transfers? I'm cruising for the first time by myself (12th cruise!) and just realized I have no idea what is the beys course of action after I read this thread! I have no problem carrying my own luggage, btw.

TIA

:-) Carrie

Transfers will leave at their own time. They will advise you of the time. You will collect your luggage in the terminal and head to the transfer.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You can usually pick a time and you must be able to handle all of your luggage as no assistance is available until you get near the exit in the terminal.

From a list of available walk-off times. You do not get to select just any time you would like.

We just used the walk off on June 28 on the Caribbean Princess at Fort Lauderdale and it was so easy. We received the form in our stateroom mid-week. We chose 7:25 AM and took the form to the purser's desk. We received notification that we would be in Group Two walking off the ship. We were told to meet at 7:20 AM in the Island Dining Room. I was surprised just how many people were there with us. Around 7:20 or shortly after, we were told to proceed to Customs. We walked in line with our families to the Custom Desk and presented our passports to the agent. We were told to have a good trip home and went from there to a cab at the curb and were at the airport 3 hours before our flight. I was amazed at how easy it was. There were three of us and we each had two suitcases and had no problems whatsoever. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• 3 months later...

Having just had knee surgery, I cannot stand in a line for a long period of time I am coming off Emerald in Southampton, and have a local hotel that I cannot get into until 3 hope I can leave when told with little line ups. I intend to take my time and hope the people in a hurry move ahead and get out of the way. Can you get a speciality coffee on disembark day?

Not always the best choice unless you only have one piece of luggage. When the ship is busy, as it always is when it disembarkes, you might have to use the stairs to exit. So it isn't easy to drag heavy luggage off the ship.

If you have an early flight, you should make sure that you are in an early group to disembark. The luggage area is very organized and you will be able to find your luggage when you leave the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Self-disembarkation works great so long as you don't try to get off the ship with more than one roiling piece of luggage and possibly a backpack or a small bag that is easily carried or fits over the rolling bag's handle. This sounds like common sense, but it's amazing what people will try to do to be pack mules. We've seen both young and elderly people try this with more baggage and boxes of booze and it's usually a disaster. Unless you have an early flight or (as is usually my case) need to get to work, take your time and let your baggage be taken off for you.

We have been using self-disembarkation for several years now and love it. The key as stated is that you can handle your luggage. With the rolling suitcases it is fairly easy if you only have one. We both use a small backpack as well. There is time in the customs/immigration line to get out your passport and filled out customs document so just keep them in an accessible location. We have never had a problem with pax in front of us holding up the line.

The only warning is that they generally will not allow pax to use the escalator (if present) if you have more than one piece of luggage as one hand is required to be free to hold onto the moving railing. They will direct you to the elevator which may well have a waiting line.

Having just had knee surgery, I cannot stand in a line for a long period of time I am coming off Emerald in Southampton, and have a local hotel that I cannot get into until 3 hope I can leave when told with little line ups. I intend to take my time and hope the people in a hurry move ahead and get out of the way. Can you get a speciality coffee on disembark day?

When you get the paper work ask for late disembarkation. Your luggage will be much easier to find in the terminal as well as most of the others will have gone. No need to stand in a long line either. You will be told which lounge to go to for your group along with a time you should be there. Until then you can get speciality coffee, pastries etc at the IC in the piazza. If you have a coffee card then it makes it even easier.

Even though you cannot get into your hotel room until 3pm, you will be able to take your luggage there and leave it with them until check in time. If you are very lucky the room might be available and they will check you straight in.

You must be able to handle all of your luggage and carry-on and have one hand free for the escalator. You will receive no assistance.

I should add that you must be capable of carrying ALL of that stuff without struggling and be able to move as fast as the people behind you who can carry all their stuff w/o difficulty. Nobody is going to help you when your stuff gets too heavy for you.

All too often people think that they can carry their stuff but they have to struggle and then they get trampled by the people behind them.

DON