CORAL -tell me all about it! - food, spa, what not to miss

Lurdes777

This is our first cruise to Alaska and on Princess. Coral is our ship. We will board around noon time. Please give me tips on what to do before we depart, where to eat lunch, what other dining places are worth the stop? Best for breakfast? Place on the ship to read the book in peace?

What about behind the scene ship tour -is it worth the money and what do you get as participants?

My hubby is also very interested in the drinks package - get or not to get?

I am very interested in the spa services.

First of all, I LOVE the Coral. Did her to Panama Canal and the following year to Alaska. Perfect size, great layout, wonderful crew.

Not many options for lunch on embarkation: either buffet or International Cafe. Either is fine.

Never bought a drinks package because we don't drink, but my wife does purchase the coffee car: 16 specialty coffees and unlimited hot chocolate. Card can be used on future cruises if you have coffees left on it.

Great covered pool which is very nice in Alaska's cool weather.

This fall will be our third cruise on Coral...that should indicate that we are a fan of this ship.

Since we don't know from whence you're sailing can't help with pre-cruise info. Also, can't help with drinks packages since we are wine folks and bring our own on board ...yes we pay the $15 corkage fee for all over our free allotment of one per person/per port.

That being said, have done the Ultimate Ship Tour twice - Coral and Royal (the new one). If you're interested in what goes on in the "back of the house" it is a great, although a tad pricey, three plus hours. Yes, IMHO worth the price...if you're interested in what goes on in those non-passenger, restricted areas. We visited the galley, the engine control room (no, you don't see the actual engines), the back stage of the theater (picture with the cast), the Medical Center, the crew areas and the highlight of the tour...the Bridge and a photo with the Captain. Our "gifts" included a set of photos (no personal cameras allowed), a "suite style" bathrobe, a Princess apron and our group photos with a nice frame. On the Coral tour we ended with champagne and snacks (not so on the Royal).

Hope this helps ... and you can't help but love Alaska.

I noticed you're kind of new to CC, go to the search box at the top of the princess page & type in "Coral" for gazillions of leads on reading about the Coral. Or more specific like "reading spot on Coral" see what comes up!!

Happy sailing!

Why does everyone need to say use Search Function? If you know, take some time and respond to the question. I tried the Search once, any time the main question word was used in a posting, it gets on the list. Rather inconvenient to sift through 500 entries and more than half have no bearing on an OP question. Not a burn or gripe, just an observation and hopefully helpful suggestion. We all were nubes at one time.

We did 17 days on Coral last October/November. Loved the ship. Lots of viewing decks both forward and aft. Loved Alfredo's Pizza in Sabatini's at lunch time. Loved the Universe Lounge. Had a fantastic 17 days and would love to sail on Coral again any time.

We are looking forward to our first cruise on the Coral Princess.

I can understand the posters enthusiasm and desire for all the help that she can find!

However, one can use the search function in ways that can actually pull up a LOT of good information. No way I would want to ask everyone else to do the work for me, before I had spent some time digging for myself. I have learned a LOT about the Coral Princess here on CC!

Look for threads that have 'Coral' in the TITLE.

Read trip reports that seem to be from a sailing of the Coral Princess.

Just to try to be helpful, based only on all of my 'digging'... I am not sure about reading spots... but I can tell the OP that the Coral is one ship with a nice, full wrap-around the ship, promenade deck. And there are deck loungers that might be perfect for what one is looking for. Especially when not sailing in a balcony cabin. Also, I believe that there is a wide hallway where the specialty restaurants are, with chairs and with large windows. If I am remembering photos and comments correctly. During the day, there might be times where some of the lounges are not in use and might be more quiet getaways.

And, there is always The Library.

There are the forward and aft viewing decks on the mid-upper decks. But, I am not sure that these would be what I describe as areas to sit and read. But, I think they seem like perfect areas for scenic viewing in Alaska.

As far as dining. The food has been getting some good reviews.

I am interested in partaking in The Crab Shack, which is like a seafood boil. It is usually offered a couple of times each week. And, they do ask that you make reservations. I am hoping that this will be held in the Horizon Court... there have been times on the Coral when this has been held in Bayou Cafe.

Bayou Cafe is also recommended. It is a specialty restaurant with an extra charge. I am hoping to try a Filet there!

Now on to entertainment.

The Coral Princess and the Universe Lounge with its staging area, are the perfect set-up for the show 'On the Bayou'. Even though this show has been around a while, I think hear it most often recommended.

Also, check out the Princess North to Alaska program. Alaska themed talks and events, such as Libby Riddles, Sled Dog Puppies, talks by Naturalist, etc.

I do wish I knew if the food they offered that is billed as Tracy's Crab Shack... the renowned casual crab place at the docks in Juneau, is anywhere near as good as what Tracy's actually serves. I do know that Tracy's Crab Shack is very highly recommended.

The spa is one thing that I have not heard much about, and do not have any big plans for... I do wish I knew about women's restrooms in the area available for Sanctuary and Spa guests???

Edited by Wishing on a star

Place on the ship to read the book in peace?

Decks 8-11 have door at the sterm of the ship that lead out to a lounge area, that is unless things have changed since we were on the Coral a couple of years ago. Also unless there is a event gong on in Wheelhouse it is a quiet comfy place to read, also the Library

There are MANY posts on whether the drinks package is worth it.

One would have to enjoy a LOT of drinks to break even.

I am more interested in this than my husband, and decided to pay as I go.

Breakfast on Princess Cruises, unless one is in a suite, are not anything stellar or noteable. There is the buffet, of course... Room service is limited to continental type items, coffee and pastries and juice, etc... The International Cafe is an option. (Albeit a smaller and limited one, compared to the full IC on other ships) We already have our coffee card, and will see what they have to offer for breakfast. Especially since this will be convenient to our cabin. Then, if we want hot breakfast items, we can meander up to the buffet.

Coral has a very nice library on deck 8 as well as a separate game room for card games, jigsaw puzzles etc.

Go aft on Carib or Dolphin decks for terrific public viewing (Carib has nice partially covered deck with lots of lounge chairs).

Love the Wheelhouse bar on the Coral - really nice location on the ship, large room with many cozy seating areas with comfy chairs for reading and generally hanging out.

As previously mentioned the promenade deck is very deep and lets you walk completely around the ship - nice for waking off dinner while looking at the scenery and scanning for whales.

Horizon Court buffet is at the front of the ship with a large open area where the Park Rangers have their presentation materials.

Coral was our first Princess cruise to Alaska - she's a great ship. Have a wonderful trip!

Edited by LoriPhil

Place on the ship to read the book in peace?

Decks 8-11 have door at the sterm of the ship that lead out to a lounge area, that is unless things have changed since we were on the Coral a couple of years ago. Also unless there is a event gong on in Wheelhouse it is a quiet comfy place to read, also the Library

I agree the aft decks are good places to sit and read. Almost always deserted. Spent several hours out there on my last 2 Coral cruises.

By far, my favorite place for breakfast is actually in the dining room. I enjoy being waited on hand and foot while on vacation. It's quite a break from managing a household with two kids and a husband as well as working full-time.

It's also a wonderful way to meet people. On our last cruise, we met three older couples at breakfast and had a wonderful conversation with them. We ran into them several times later on the cruise.

For an Alaskan cruise, I highly recommend running up to the buffet and bring the plates back to your cabin if you have a balcony. My husband took a good photo of me enjoying breakfast on the balcony with the glacier in the background. Although the photo did look like I was pigging out on two plates.

This is our first cruise to Alaska and on Princess. Coral is our ship. We will board around noon time. Please give me tips on what to do before we depart, where to eat lunch, what other dining places are worth the stop? Best for breakfast? Place on the ship to read the book in peace?

What about behind the scene ship tour -is it worth the money and what do you get as participants?

My hubby is also very interested in the drinks package - get or not to get?

I am very interested in the spa services.

Normally on Princess ships the DR is open for lunch from noon to 1:30. I have not been on the Coral for a while, but check the back page of the Princess Patter, in your cabin, once on board. If open it will show there. Other options for lunch include the Horizon Ct. buffet, deck 14 fwd, Princess Pizza, deck 14 by the Lido Pool, The Grill, deck 15 above the Lido Pool, The International Cafe, deck 6, mid ship.

Other Dining - For Dinner you may wish to book the Bayou Cafe & Steakhouse and/or Sabatini's Italian Restaurant. These surcharge restaurants are on Deck 7. Book by calling the DINE line or visiting during the afternoon of boarding day. There is also a Crab Shack, ask about that when visiting the Bayou cafe. I've read on these boards that the Coral has Alfredo's at Sabatini's for lunch on some sea days. This is no charge. Also ask about this when making your visit. Alfredo's is waiter served individual pizzas. There most likely will be a Pub Lunch served on sea days probably in the Wheelhouse Bar. This is walk in and no charge.

Breakfast: Four options and it depends on how much time you wish to spend eating breakfast: The DR. They have menu items and you can also request off menu items. Allow at least an hour. Personally I don't like to spend this much time having breakfast. Horizon Ct. Buffet. They have all kinds of breakfast selections fruits, breakfast meats, waffles, pancakes, hot & cold cereals, etc. Look for the fresh made omelette station(s). International Cafe, danish, doughnuts a few other items, plus you can get your espresso fix there. Room Service, limited menu, you will have a card to fill out to hang on your door the night before.

Read: Some suggestions; Library, deck 8, mid ship, if you can get a seat; Indoor Pool area and the conservatory area on the deck above it; Promenade deck if warm enough, Crooner's Lounge during the daytime

Drinks Package: Includes all alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages priced under $10, plus 40% off bottles of wine priced under $100. Excludes room service. Cost is $56.35/day or $394.45 for a 7 day cruise. It is about 7 to 8 alcoholic drinks per day. Almost all beverages are priced below $10 including mixed drinks like martini's, margarita's, straight scotches, and other whiskeys, liqueurs, beers, espresso drinks, wines by the glass, almost everything. Only a few high end wines and whiskeys are priced higher. So if you think you will spend more that $395 for the 7 days, then it is worth it.

Hope this information is helpful

LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU GUYS! THANK YOU

I am very enthusiastic for many reasons - first and foremost, its our very first trip to Alaska (July 30). Second - its the very fist cruise for my 17 year old son. I want to show him the best of the best. He very much enjoys buffets as he gets to try things. He is a foodie. One thing that worries me is his shellfish allergy - but will have epinephrin on hand.

As soon as he is gifted his tickets on his high school graduation we will start planning alaskan adventures.

So I assume that we can only take 2 bottles of wine with us, however, does it make sense to take 2 bottles all the way from Miami?? We will have to check them in the luggage.

LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU GUYS! THANK YO

As soon as he is gifted his tickets on his high school graduation we will start planning alaskan adventures.

So I assume that we can only take 2 bottles of wine with us, however, does it make sense to take 2 bottles all the way from Miami?? We will have to check them in the luggage.

I wouldn't wait too long to book tours. If you want Princess tours go to the cruise personlizer and select them. There is no cost to reserve them. If you want private tours now is the time to arrange them. Also visit your Roll Call for your cruise. Here it is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2260703

Wine. If you are arriving early buy your wine in Alaska. If you are arriving the same day of your cruise on a Princess arranged flight and transfer then you will not have time to stop for wine.

About wine....

Yes, each adult can bring a nice bottle of wine.

You can bring extra bottles, but if you declare this, or if they see it when you check in for your cruise, there will be a $15.00 corkage fee.

For us, we are not huge wine drinkers. But, when we do enjoy wine, it has to be better than what is included onboard.

We have some favorite wines from local wineries, so we will probably bring at least one additional bottle with us.

Of course, this all depends on luggage weight and space limitations, etc...

If you like some widely available wines, and might have the time, you can look into where to buy wine before you transfer and board the ship.

This would be a good thread (or search) on the Alaska port of call forum... "Where to buy wine"

I don't know if grocery stores and Walmart carry wines in Alaska???

I do know that there is a Walmart across from the Embassy where we are staying.

And, yes, you should begin planning and booking your adventures as soon as possible. Hopefully you will be announcing your wonderful graduation cruise to your son before too long.

You can look at the available excursions on the Princess web-site.

And, often, booking on your own thru private vendors is recommended for a better, more personal, experience.

There are a few excursions that can take limited numbers, and are very high in demand. (I am no expert, and am not sure, but Island Wings out of Ketchikan comes to mind) And, you really need to consider booking something like this right away. If there is any availability left.

Again, some searches and some questions posted on the Alaska forum should be very helpful!!!

Personally, I would not take the wine in your luggage for flights. Too much chance of the bottle breaking. If you have a chance in Vancouver before the cruise, buy some there

When I was in Vancouver I found that all alcoholic beverages - beer, wine, liquor - cost effectively twice what I pay in California. I don't smoke but found that cigarettes were also astronomically high priced. Just something to be aware of if planning to purchase these types of items in Vancouver. One guy in a liquor store said he loved going to the US as it was "an entire country that is half off!".

We did really enjoy Vancouver though and will be there again in July. :)

"Personally, I would not take the wine in your luggage for flights. Too much chance of the bottle breaking."

We have completed 38 cruises. We have never had a wine bottle break in checked luggage. We use wine diapers (Amazon), and pad the wine with clothing. Should a bottle break, the diaper will hold all of the fluid w/o leaking. When thinking about the added weight, remember that you are likely to replace the weight with souvenirs coming home.

On another note....I am a long time member of this website and have found the Search Engine to be invaluable and use it frequently. I do find it annoying when questions are asked that have been asked many times over. JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION. Years ago, I learned about wine diapers and packing wine from using the Search Engine....thank you CC and all of you hosts.

I would suggest to the OP that she join the roll call for her cruise......

Judith

Edited by JudithLynne

The beauty of the Coral is her size and the amount of outdoor viewing areas. A wonderful wide promenade deck and many outdoor open decks, perfect for Alaska!

We also enjoyed the various dining options...a very nice buffet, good main dining room (although normally some long lines at Anytime Dining at night), the pizza place, the international cafe. We loved the Bayou Cafe, one of the best filet mignon I have had in years. Worth the splurge!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

You have made a great choice. Coral to Alaska is wonderful, just the right size ship. Much more casual dress than other venues.

Please research private excursions. We did them exclusively and still marvel at the sights.

Favorite place: Crooners Bar. Have the best experience there with servers, and on some cruises, entertainers.