Looking at Regent for the first time

katz

We have been sailing with Oceania for several years. A recent Regent brochure has caught my eye, and there is a particular sailing I am interested in.

The offerings of free business class air, 39 free excursions and free pre-cruise hotel package seems to be too good to be true. Are all of these perks really included without having to read the fine print?

Just wondering before I do the math comparing prices with other cruise lines.

Thank you for your help!!

For most cruises, you have to book a certain cabin level for free business upgrades as well. Also, if you read through various posts, you'll see that it sometimes happens that excursions that are advertised can, for one reason or another, disappear.

We've loved Regent, even the "free" excursions (most of the time). And the upgrade charge to business air for many of the itineraries has seemed well worth the extra money. Btw, if I'm not mistaken, many people find that booking pre-cruise hotel on one's own is much less expensive than booking through Regent-- though of course that doesn't pertain if the hotel is included.

katz: We have been sailing on Regent for many years and have been on Oceania for two cruises (both on the Riviera). As you know, Oceania now has "some" included excursion on "some" itineraries. However, alcohol is still quite pricey.

Most/many Regent passengers like the all-inclusiveness of Regent (alcohol, tips, etc.). However, Oceania does have specials that include tips and internet. We find the "regular" suites considerably larger on Regent. In terms of food....... we prefer Jacques on Oceania over Signatures (note: Signatures will become a new restaurant in the latter part of next year). It is a toss-up between Sette Mari and Toscana. Polo and Prime 7 are pretty much the same -- both have great steaks but do have some issues with consistency. Where I find the biggest difference is Compass Rose (the MDR on Regent ) to the MDR on Oceania and the Terrace Café on Oceania vs. La Veranda on Regent.

We will not eat in Oceania's MDR (except occasionally for breakfast). Regent's Compass Rose is much better. The Terrace Café on Oceania is the worst dining experience we have ever had. This is a good time to note the fact that food is very subjective. Most Oceania cruisers love the Terrace Café while we avoid it. We had to wait 20 minutes one night to get pasta "cooked" in cold water on Oceania. Another time a "cook"? tried to pry open a clam that was not hot enough to open. IMO, this is a very dangerous thing to do in terms of poisoning guests. So, if you enjoy these dining venues, I'm not certain what you will think of Regent (less offerings on La Veranda's buffet because the ship is so much smaller than the Riviera.)

While I am not a fan of included excursions, depending upon the part of the world you are in, some of them can be excellent. In other parts of the world they are not.

Do hope you try Regent. Suggest that you have an open mind and do not compare everything to Oceania. Once you return home and have time to reflect, you will easily see which cruise line is best for you.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thanks, Poss and Traveler.

Has anyone had experience with the "free" business class. Do they bounce you all over the place? Are you given the opportunity to upgrade to first class? How close to the trip date do they issue the tickets? And do you have an choice in the seats?

Thanks, Poss and Traveler.

Has anyone had experience with the "free" business class. Do they bounce you all over the place? Are you given the opportunity to upgrade to first class? How close to the trip date do they issue the tickets? And do you have an choice in the seats?

We always use "free" business class when available (basically for European itineraries). You cannot upgrade to first class. You can book very far in advance (around 280 days in advance) IF you deviate. I have not kept up with deviation fees but believe it is in the range of $175/person. We look at all available itineraries and check with our TA* to see which airlines Regent has contracts with. Whenever possible we choose an airline that has flat-bed seats (not angled) and usually end up booking British Airways. Yes -- you can change seats after Regent has completed the booking and you have your booking I.D.

*IMO, it is very important to use a TA that regularly books cruises with Regent. They are a wealth of information and can answer so many questions for you. We are extremely happy with Regent Air - as long as we deviate.

Thanks, Travel. I am a real spoiled brat about flights and seats. Our experience with Oceania and Viking River air has not been that great. Regent is sounding good to me!!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks, Travel. I am a real spoiled brat about flights and seats. Our experience with Oceania and Viking River air has not been that great. Regent is sounding good to me!!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Depending on just how spoiled you are, the biz class flights may not satisfy. I am very squeamish about flights and never relinquish control to anyone. If you decline the included (not "free") flights, a credit is issued. In the case of our January experience SFO-MIA-SFO, that credit was $350 each for a total of $700. You also can get the pre-night hotel credited if you don't care for the hotel (and associated herded bus to embarkation); but that credit is small at around $250.

Not a reason not to book if all else appeals but useful to know so you can adjust flight expectations.

We too do our own flight arrangements and take the credit.

Having cruised once on Oceania (and my husband refuses to go on them again) and many times on Regent, the things we love about regent are the true all inclusiveness with no showing your card for drinks or anything else. I am not a fan at all of the buffet on Oceania. I hated trying to get the servers to make my salad to my liking. And the main dining room on Oceania is awful. Very poor service and food is mediocre. In contrast, I enjoy La Veranda and compass Rose. Really recommend you give regent a try.

We are booked on our first Regent cruise after several on Seabourne. We booked with Regents air for the "free" business class air. Just got our routing and not bad(Klm lax-lis and Emirates cpt to lax both with only one connection). If you don't like the routing they present, for $175 you can ask for alternate routing, plus any additional fare if Regents contract is not as beneficial. Once they provide booking you work directly with airlines for seats, etc.

katz: I truly cannot imagine anyone being so fussy that they would not fly Business Class on Emirates or British Airways (unless you have frequent flyer points). If you book BA on your own, you pay approximately 120 GBP per person per flight to choose your own seat outside of 30 days prior to your flight (unless you have Executive Club status with them). When Regent books British Airways, they select your seats which I promptly change to an upstairs seat (premium area - extra cost to book seats when you do not use Regent air).

Strongly agree with Rachel's opinion regarding Oceania. They have sailed Regent multiple times (as have we) and I respect her opinion (even though she books her own air;) ). Rachel, when we meet next month, please share more about why you book your own air.

Hope you give Regent a chance to book your air 280 days out. Have your TA advise you of contracted airlines - then look up the routing you want and send an email to your TA with the exact flights that you want. Regent (through your TA) will come back with a response. If you are not happy with their response, certainly book your own air and take the little credit that they offer.

We've used Regent Air twice, both times to Europe. The first time we paid $500 per leg for a business class upgrade, the second we booked a stateroom that included business class in the price.

We were very happy with the results. Both times we were given a first class flight to the east from Phoenix, followed by a single business class flight to our destination, with the reverse on the way back. We were given reasonable length layovers, and had no problems of any sort.

We wouldn't hesitate to use Regent again.

By the way... our flights were on American, SAS, BA, United and Delta. To our surprise, the best flight by far was Delta from Atlanta to Barcelona. I hadn't been on a Delta flight in a while, and I had no idea how much they have improved their service.

Many of us could probably write a book in response to your question. My answer would be YES the adds are factual BUT! We have done 7 regent cruises and enjoyed them all with several being a WOW. Our experience leads me: love the BC upgrades on Regent Air; almost always deviate for a fee so I can pick (early) the exact flights and the seats - Regent has always had enough air partners for a good selection of across the water flights.

I generally use the "free" pre-cruise hotel night only if I see difficulty with me handling our luggage (Venice); just did Stockholm pre-cruise on our own and stayed at the same hotel as Regent at a great saving.

Maximizing enjoyment of Regent's excursions takes a lot of early research. For me that is a lot of fun. Regents "free" excursion range from great to bad - a lot depends on who you get as a local guide. I have done several extra-fee Regent Choice excursions; many have been marvelous!

We're committed to Regent for ocean cruises but our travel is now focused on itineraries whether land, river or ocean.

• 1 year later...

Thinking of dipping our toes in Regent waters with a Caribbean cruise on the Mariner next fall. If we deviate can we upgrade to domestic Business/First Class air (LAX-MIA)? Are the rates reasonable, or should we just take the credit and purchase?

Thanks,

Greg

Also (off-topic): will the new Compass Rose menu be in place by December 2017, or will that be postponed with the dry dock?

Thinking of dipping our toes in Regent waters with a Caribbean cruise on the Mariner next fall. If we deviate can we upgrade to domestic Business/First Class air (LAX-MIA)? Are the rates reasonable, or should we just take the credit and purchase?

Thanks,

Greg

Also (off-topic): will the new Compass Rose menu be in place by December 2017, or will that be postponed with the dry dock?

Hi... Wondering how you found this old thead. There is a current thread on the topic of domestic air but I'll be happy to try to quickly answer your questions and suggest that you read the other thread as well.

Three of the four Regent ships already have the new menu. It should be on the Mariner this coming April.

Deviation will not get you Business Class air. The cost for First Class air (most airlines in the U.S. do not have Business Class air) on Regent can be pricey. We take the air credit and book our own flights when flying donestically.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Travelcat2

We have been sailing with Oceania for several years. A recent Regent brochure has caught my eye, and there is a particular sailing I am interested in.

.Thank you for your help!!

I don't know myself-we're in the same boat. Cruised Oceania, now getting ready to try Regent-we booked 2 cruises so we'll see how it goes.