New Beach Shuttle service

cyntil8ing

http://bernews.com/2014/07/new-beach-shuttle-service-introduced/

The West End Development Corporation [WEDCo], in partnership with the Ministry of Tourism & Transport, revealed today [July 30] the introduction of a Minibus beach shuttle service to and from Dockyard and the South Shore beaches.

A WEDCo spokesperson said, “WEDCo is pleased to continue working with the Ministry of Tourism and Transport and private operators using the ground transportation area within the Dockyard Cruise terminal to create a private beach shuttle service.”

“Effective August 4, WEDCO and the Mini Bus Association have entered into an agreement to provide a door to door service to Horseshoe Bay and Church Bay.

“The cost of this round trip service will be $16 and will be departing and returning to Dockyard at Zone 6. Service will commence from Dockyard between the hours of 8.00am and 3.00pm, with the last returning bus leaving Horseshoe Bay at 6.00pm.”

A Ministry spokesperson said, “The Ministry continues to work very closely with WEDCo to improve and enhance the infrastructure and services provided to our cruise visitors in Dockyard.

“This new initiative is aligned with the vision for WEDCo to assume greater responsibility for ground transportation logistical operations in Dockyard.

“The shuttle service also provides opportunities for local entrepreneurs while reducing the need and reliance on the public buses that have traditionally provided this service.

“Last year the Ministry and WEDCo introduced a new traffic and pedestrian system at the Ground Transportation Area [GTA] in Dockyard.

“The new system was necessary due to the increased number of passengers following the start of Norwegian Breakaway’s service to Bermuda on May 15, 2013 and it has proven to be very successful providing a safer and more logical system for cruise ship passengers.”

“The new Beach Shuttle service is part of a series of product improvement initiatives that will be collectively implemented going forward.”

Good to know. Hope they have A/C. Those SPECIAL buses are HOT on the way back. Whew!

Thanks for the post :)

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Even the Taxis don't use their air conditioning, but of course it's a very breezy ride with the windows open in them.

“The new Beach Shuttle service is part of a series of product improvement initiatives that will be collectively implemented going forward.”

I noticed a number of improvements last month from my previous times docking at the Dockyard. This new shuttle bus service sounds good. It appears they are getting their act together!

“The new system was necessary due to the increased number of passengers following the start of Norwegian Breakaway’s service to Bermuda on May 15, 2013 and it has proven to be very successful providing a safer and more logical system for cruise ship passengers.”

This also might be a minor thumbing of their nose at the BIU for those spontaneous shutdowns of the buses and ferries. :p Any time the Union decides to flex their muscle at Gov't, visitors are essentially stuck in the Dockyard...

This is great news for anyone wanting to be driven right down to the beaches instead of dealing with the long hills down. Thanks for posting.

Oh! I hadn't realized that when I first read the article. It'll be much easier on one of my relatives now. :)

What are the other changes in Dockyard? I haven't been there in a few years...?

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of questions. I see the price is double the price of the bus but is the only difference between this and the "special" direct bus to the beach the fact it doesn't leave you or pick you up at the road but at the bottom of the hill by the beach? And are they still doing the "special" direct beach buses as well? Thanks.

Oh! I hadn't realized that when I first read the article. It'll be much easier on one of my relatives now. :)

What are the other changes in Dockyard? I haven't been there in a few years...?

One nice thing is a pharmacy which is more than just meds, toiletries and the usual drug store items. You can get some nice take out sandwiches there. Not sure if it's still there but they had also added a hot dog stand and the dogs were pretty reasonable as far as Bermuda food prices go.

There's also a new bar that is actually a floating ship. They say their drink prices are reasonable. A new miniature gold course has also been added and Snorkel Park seems to have more water toys but there is an admission price to get in now. Some playground items were added for kids but the metal slide has been to hot to use so they have to rethink that.

A new beach opened that is quite close to Dockyard, Black Bay Beach but it's nothing in comparison to Horseshoe Bay and Daniel's Head is also close by which was the former 9 Beaches resort. They have some nice beach things, stand up paddle boards and a type of float to snorkel with regular snorkel gear not needed.

Can you use a bus/ferry two or three day pass for this special bus?

No. The transportation passes are good only on the government-owned bus and ferry system. The mini buses are privately owned and operated.

FWIW, the mini bus shuttle service actually isn't brand new...they've operated for a while. What's new is that it's now formally endorsed by Wedco, the quasi-government organization that operates Dockyard.

Edited by njhorseman

my husband has mobility issues so this sounds like a good option for us. Where is zone six and/or does this service pick up right off the ship? How do will we know which van/bus this is? Thanks

Not right off the ship. Zone 6 is the farthest transportation zone from the ships. It is the same place as to catch the Pink Buses. See picture below for zones.

Edited by Charles4515

My interpretation of the latest article on the new service is that it replaces the "special" beach express buses:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140806/NEWS/140809890

"...the new arrangement, in which private shuttles this week took over the beach service from public transport vehicles..."

This significantly increases the cost of beach transportation for those who otherwise would have taken a "special".

Not surprisingly, the union representing the bus drivers isn't happy about the new beach shuttle service:

http://bernews.com/2014/08/biu-responds-to-beach-shuttle-concerns/

And I believe this is a video of the line of tourist that the article is referring too :

It was on the Royal Gazette twitter page yesterday .

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Do the local buses (#7) no longer go to the Dockyard?

I wonder what else will change before my family departs next week. First, Tobacco Bay, which I have read is awesome for snorkeling, implemented new activities to try to entice more tourists. Now a change in the buses, which will likely still be confusing in 1.5 weeks? Both of these changes have occurred since the start of summer.

Do the local buses (#7) no longer go to the Dockyard?

I wonder what else will change before my family departs next week. First, Tobacco Bay, which I have read is awesome for snorkeling, implemented new activities to try to entice more tourists. Now a change in the buses, which will likely still be confusing in 1.5 weeks? Both of these changes have occurred since the start of summer.

The local #7 still runs, but there's only one bus every 30 minutes so it really can't handle the number of passengers that want to travel between the beach and Dockyard.

The local #7 still runs, but there's only one bus every 30 minutes so it really can't handle the number of passengers that want to travel between the beach and Dockyard.

And with a long line of up to 2 hours of wait time to get in the new shuttle...you better make sure you have the RIGHT ticket to get on the shuttle...NOT the bus pass...

No way I would loose 2 hours of my short and precious time in Bermuda on a line for a bus...

Jump in a taxi and share it...split the cost !!! or get on the 7$ pp per way shuttle.

It "WAS" :(:confused: .. because know I don't know... but it WAS right next to the taxi line between the 2 wharf.

They were like mini vans doing the trip to Horseshoe for 7$ pp per way ( and they did went all the way down the hill to the beach entrance.

But now it's confusing...so I really don't know if they are still there....

We will need updates from current cruisers in Bermuda I think !