Are solo cruisers mostly introverted?

IslandGrl411

Textbook introvert and I love my solo cruises. I dine alone.

I also enjoy my cruises with my significant other ... who is also an introvert. My solo cruises give us some downtime that is very beneficial to the relationship.

My next cruise will be a one week solo followed by five days with him on another ship.

I know this thread is old but it's interesting. I test as an INTJ so an extreme introvert. I'm forced to be an extrovert (working on changing my career) because of my job but my favorite time of the day is after work when I'm in the car after work so I can decompress. At first the thought of cruising solo was strange but now I'm looking forward to it and many more solo cruises in the future. I enjoy traveling and always needed alone time when I travelled with others in the past. This would cause issues because I was known as the party pooper because I wanted to go back to the hotel room or cabin and not hang around my travel mates all day in the past. Now I can do my own thing and not worry about accommodating others. Plus I can see the world and visit a lot of places and not worry about flying to each individual place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rayness, I can't quite tell if you've cruised solo yet or not, but if not I've done several so ask me anything. :)

(Used to test as INTJ but I've seemingly mellowed out a bit, it was something slightly different last time I ran one. ISTJ I think.)

(Side note, when I get time I'm also planning on writing a book on solo cruising, specifically for introverts. Niche, yes, but it's easy to publish a book these days.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

Rayness, I can't quite tell if you've cruised solo yet or not, but if not I've done several so ask me anything. :)

(Used to test as INTJ but I've seemingly mellowed out a bit, it was something slightly different last time I ran one. ISTJ I think.)

(Side note, when I get time I'm also planning on writing a book on solo cruising, specifically for introverts. Niche, yes, but it's easy to publish a book these days.)

Haven't cruised solo yet but will in December kind of. I have my own cabin and a coworker I just met over the summer booked and she will have her own solo cabin. I'm still considering it a solo trip because I've only known her for a couple months. We said we could meet for some meals and some excursions but do our own thing otherwise. She's an introvert too actually.

I'm looking at a transpacific cruise and I'm definitely cruising solo for that one. I'm going to book a couple of pacific coastal cruises solo because I'm moving to California next year and a New England cruise solo before the TP cruise.

I have a flexible job so I'm going to book as many cruises as I can before I change careers.

I think its a fallacy for folks to assume most solo cruisers are introverts. Many of us are widows/widowers or single by choice.

Im typically more nervous now travelling with a roomate than without! Just easier!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree that its a bit of a misnomer based on assumption. I would also say its a fallacy that most solo travellers dont have a partner either. I am solo in life and travel by choice but the majority of solo travellers I have met actually have partners back at home who prefer a different travel style to them so they both travel separately.

One lady I met in her 70s has never ever travelled with her husband over 50 years of marriage - she likes Arctic and Antarctic expeditions and he likes ocean liners round the world playing bridge every day.

I dont consider myself introverted or an extrovert. I like breakfast and lunch alone as I am grumpy in the morning and I update my journal at lunch. I like dinner at a group table at night to listen to peoples stories. I prefer to change tables regularly tho so I dont get stuck with same people every day. I am also perfectly happy to dine in the specialty restaurants solo or with anyone I met during the day who wants to try them out.

I'm an introvert. But, as others have said, it's about having time to recharge. I am perfectly fine being alone most of the time -- I am working at home today, and it's great! But generally after a large chunk of time alone I like to go have a drink at the bar, and talk a bit.

I'm looking forward to my first solo cruise to get to spend a lot of time reading and relaxing by myself. I'm not going to meet people, but I am, of course, open to that.

Can you eat while seated at a bar in many cruise restaurants (specifically NCL Epic)? I tend to prefer that. If there are others around, small talk is available, but then you don't have to sit at a table by yourself. Plus, I enjoy watching bartenders work.

I am not an introvert, I recharge by being around people, not by being on my own. When I cruise solo it is because I don't have a compatible travel companion -- DH can't get time off work, or it is an itinerary he doesn't care for, or the friends who are available are a proven disaster as travel companions. In the past, most of my friends were busy with raising their kids, and there was no "DH", so I learned to do what I wanted on my own.

Can you eat while seated at a bar in many cruise restaurants (specifically NCL Epic)? I tend to prefer that. If there are others around, small talk is available, but then you don't have to sit at a table by yourself. Plus, I enjoy watching bartenders work.

O'Sheehans on Epic has seating overlooking the atrium, which is great if you are on your own rather than being seated at a table. I sat there for lunch one day, watching a dance class below, and struck up a conversation with a woman whose husband had gone off somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the best post!! I have after all these years realized I am an introvert...And nobody gets that! I am so outgoing, and yet prefer my alone time. People are soooo curious that I would actually cruise ALL BY MYSELF! They just can NOT relate. Hilarious!! So tell me, what is the difference between being an introvert vs. being shy. I am not shy.

This is the best post!! I have after all these years realized I am an introvert...And nobody gets that! I am so outgoing, and yet prefer my alone time. People are soooo curious that I would actually cruise ALL BY MYSELF! They just can NOT relate. Hilarious!! So tell me, what is the difference between being an introvert vs. being shy. I am not shy.

I have had many people say the same thing to me over the years.......

"you go by yourself"?:rolleyes:....I haven't had anyone say it lately

but yes, it is a VERY common question.

Are you looking for the definition from our friend Webster?;) Or what

the opinion of the 2 words might be? I have never been a shy.....and

I don't consider myself introverted either but from reading many threads

about that....I do enjoy my own company but also have fun doing things

with others (example.....if the cruise line has a cooking demo, I love

to participate:D)......but I can just lay on a lounger by myself and take

a nap and read a book and am happy.

I'm very social but I need my alone time too. I like being free to do what I want to do at the time I want to do it. Besides, I'm an empty nester and folks can't always cruise when I can. I had four cruises on the books in Jan 2016 but only cruised twice because roommates cancelled out on me. I have one buddy, also an empty nester, who can curise on a similar timeline as I but outside of him, I cruise alone.

Edited by Getaway Girl 73

• 1 month later...

My kids would get so embarrased if I sent food back because it was tepid or cold. They didn't want to do the excursions I wanted to. They were messy in the cabin. Could have easily tripped and fallen over my son's size 13 shoes! Had to get after them to straighten up and keep things put away.

Solo I have none of those issues.

I'm an introvert with social tendencies. I need introspection, but love excitement. Cruising, or just going out, alone is perfect for me in respect to those two things. I don't have to talk to people if I don't want to, but there are people about if I choose to socialize. I can experience all the excitement while being alone with my thoughts. I keep a journal and later blog about the whole experience. Rereading my blogs from past solo trips always inspires me to plan another one. I meet people, but they don't monopolize my time or impede upon my plans. And sometimes I allow myself to go along with a group should I meet one.

I am so excited for my next solo cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I've found cruising solo is great because you do have those times where you want to be a introvert and reflect and think, thats where I am reading a book on deck or watching the sunrise/set and taking photos, etc but cruising solo has also brought me out of my shell and given me confidence in how I carry myself, your on a ship with 3000 potential friends (who are just happy to be their on vacation) is how I look at it haha. You want to dance the wobble and cupid shuffle at sail away party? go ahead! its a freeing and liberating thing to do with all those people watching haha

I've found it great because you have the freedom to do what you want to do, want to be social and be apart of the life of the party? thats easily possible. Want to just sit at a bar with a good drink and enjoy the scenery or take in a show by yourself? thats possible as well, best of both worlds.

Never forget to join the roll calls on cruise critic, its a easy way to meet people as well. Organized meet ups and such.

Edited by spinnaker190

• 1 month later...
Thanks for replying. I am introverted. I am also very quiet and shy. So I was shocked at how easy it was to meet people and for me to talk to fellow solo cruisers on my first solo adventure. Although it took 2 days for me to open up and feel comfortable. I'm glad I was on a 7 day cruise. I'm hoping I will be able to open up and have fun from the start of my next solo. It will be next month.

I'm an introvert, but I'm also shy when I first meet folks. I find cruisers to be so easy to talk with. They're happy, going with the flow, looking for adventure and new people to talk with. I've never had a problem striking up a conversation with anyone.