Are solo cruisers mostly introverted?

IslandGrl411

I think those who choose to cruise solo are confidant and are happy in their own company. I think a true introvert wouldn't choose a ship with 1000's of people on board to have a relaxing experience.

Extroverts may need more stimulation to have a good time.

It is possible those who solo cruise have the best of both introvert and extrovert qualities.

Nope. I always test as an extrovert. However as other posters have said, I am independent and happy doing things on my own. Even when I travel with others, I usually go off on my own. But that is not because I am shy, but usually because the others go to bed early or are not interested in the bar scene...

I think solos could be more introverted in the sense that they like having their own time and agenda. I am pretty extroverted on the cruises but like to keep my own schedule.

I think it comes down to having less free time as we get older and you don't want to spend the precious time waiting on others etc..

Introverts can be assertive, shy, quiet , forward etc... All types.

As I am writing this, I am watching tv, with the piano on etc, vs. being out somewhere with people at this moment. Early day at work, and this is what I enjoy doing.

You hit the nail on the head!... You don't want to waste precious time waiting on others! My feelings exactly! Nor do I want to be responsible for someone else having a good time. The one time I cruised with a friend, she was way too dependent on me. I wanted to say "figure it out yourself", just like I had to do the first time I cruised. But on the other hand, we did have a lot of fun in the bar drinking... Lol. Which I normally wouldn't do alone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When at home, I like to spend time alone doing my own thing. However, when I am on a cruise, I noticed I prefer to be in the company of people almost all the time. It would be my preference to have breakfast, lunch and dinner with others. I really don't like to attend evening entertainment on the ship by myself and I just can't see myself on a balcony reading all alone or sitting in the cabin watching TV.

I tell to gravitate to the Solo Lounge on NCL at different times of the day, when not engaged in some type of social activity somewhere else on the ship. What I found is that there seems to be always someone in the Solo Lounge and I am happy to engage in conversation. In a nutshell, I don't like solitary life on a ship but enjoy it at home.

I've never experienced a solo lounge? For some reason I imagine a younger crowd in the solo cabins on NCL..,is that the case?

Either way, there are times I enjoy others' company and times I don't. But what is nice, it's entirely up to you.. Table for one? Or share a table? Shore excursion or wander around alone... Strike up a conversation or sit alone...

Just an aside here... If you like solo cruising... You should try a solo safari. Very similar experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would consider myself shy to some extent but also happy and able to entertain myself without needing outside stimulus.

I find it somewhat difficult to make small talk with strangers in everyday life, I'm just not a talker and prefer silence to useless chatter, but when cruising it seems to be much easier. Probably, as others have said, because we all have something in common to talk about.

In answer to you original question, I don't feel it's any one type of individual who cruises solo. As we all know, the quietest person can open up and be the life of the party in any given situation just as someone who is always going non-stop can totally decompress and do nothing and be happy with it.

Eagerly awaiting my first cruise, and going solo. I am a gregarious introvert to use a phrase from a few posts ago. I like my space, my agenda, and the ability to mix with others.

Enjoying a meal with pleasant company is wonderful. A meal alone sat on a balcony staring out to sea would be bliss, but boring if done with any regularity. I can however get self conscious eating by myself in a busy place. What I really couldn't tolerate though, is spending my entire holiday with the SAME people all the time. If I feel "spent" with a group of people, I can often feel recharged just talking to someone new. I do need to have a very healthy dose of me time though, otherwise I get defensively tetchy.

It's going to be quite interesting for me to discover how I find being solo on a cruise ship. I have actually booked a balcony cabin as "insurance" so I have somewhere to retreat to should I need to just break away from it all for a while.

What I do on cruises for dinner is just tell them when I go to the dining room that I want to sit by myself or I will sit with other singles my age. Preferably women. It has always worked out. I am very assertive. Nothing worse than sitting at a table with people who all know one another or are married. The conversation is awful. I dislike the huge round tables.

I think me and Newbie must be twins because she's really got me in a nutshell expect I don't get tetchy when I need me time, I become quiet.

Ive cruised before but the two Im doing this year will be Solo cruises and Ive booked a balcony cabin because I like to see out and not feel to confined. I did the YC on the Davina last year but Im not doing it this year as the cruise is only for 7 days and we're hardly on board the ship - the YC facilities would be wasted, but not only that Im really looking forward to the rest of the ship.

Come September I'm trying the NCL Jewel just to experience something new and be able to make a comparison.

Not introverted in the least -- I even strike up conversations with people in line at the grocery store!

The thing I like about cruising is it can be as solitary or as social as you make it.

Me too, I can talk to anyone.

I have been on 12 cruises with family and friends. I took my first solo cruise last year. Most of my friends are married and I am now single. I don't have to wait to see what date works for them. If everyone can't agree on a cruise, I will go alone. Most were jealous! :p

• 1 month later...

I am not the least bit introverted but am a solo cruiser now after my DH of 44 years passing away this past year. No reason to think all solo cruisers are typically 'anything'. There are so many reasons why we may be sailing solo.

I sailed with my DH over 90 cruises but my next cruise will be on my own. I am traveling with friends who will be in another cabin.

Edited by sail7seas

What I do on cruises for dinner is just tell them when I go to the dining room that I want to sit by myself or I will sit with other singles my age. Preferably women. It has always worked out. I am very assertive. Nothing worse than sitting at a table with people who all know one another or are married. The conversation is awful. I dislike the huge round tables.

I rather feel the long rectangle tables are very hard for conversation. You don't get to speak with those at the other end. Though I suppose the very large round tables are also difficult as you could be quite far from the person on the other side.

Not sure what I am!! I use to be so outgoing and never wanted the night to end. Now I can go an entire cruise and barely talk to anyone the whole week. As times change, I guess we can also. I think in my case I tried to please everyone else and do what they wanted, going solo I can do whatever I want when I want!!!:D

Adding on here, techbucally I test out as an INFJ - so an introvert per Myers Briggs.

And I agree with previous statements that introversion and shyness are 2 different things. In my instance, I enjoy my own company over others, Im perfectly happy watching a movie for a while then to hit a bar for drinks with other people around. the freedom to do what I want, etc all falls under introversion. thats why I travel solo. I dont want to follow someone elses schedule, not be able to sleep as late as I want, go on excursions I want etc

But I am not shy. I have no problem initiating a conversation with a stranger - heck on a boat theres plenty of random chit chat topics. A cruise in general lends itself to all kinds of situations that a "shy" person would be uncomfortable with. I personally try to involve shy people more, get them to come out of their shell.

• 1 year later...
Hmm...while no one has said anything egregiously wrong, maybe it is time to clarify some terminology:

An introvert is a person who requires less social stimluation than the average person does;

consequently, an extrovert is a person who requires more.

If you consider yourself "in between" you are not a mix of introvert and extrovert, you are simply neither.

However, it is common to be a mix of introverted and gregarious: someone who enjoys the company of others, just a bit less often then most. I believe many frequent solo cruisers fall into this category--we like meeting new people but cannot deal with the needy, clingy ones who demand constant stimulation from their new "friends."

Unfortunately it is also possible to be a mix of extroverted and shy: desperately wanting social stimulation but too fearful to go out and find it. As the only child of two extremely gregarious parents I was always known as the "quiet" kid; given that about half of my last dozen cruises have been solo simply because I enjoy the down time, in retrospect I don't mind having been known that way--but many people are too quick to label someone as shy simply because they are observed sitting alone and for that moment not engaging anyone in conversation.

But in the end, the terminology doesn't matter: I think this thread proves that we solo cruisers transcend whatever labels any couples or families onboard may have for us. (And thankfully no one on this thread has misused the terms unsocial vs. antisocial...but that's another lecture :D)

I don't see the definition like that.

ex·tro·vert

ˈekstrəˌvərt/Submit

noun

an outgoing, overtly expressive person.

synonyms: outgoing person, sociable person, socializer, life of the party

"like many extroverts, he was unhappy inside"

Don't feel like I NEED more social stimulation, I just don't mind it.

I have started conversations with different people and ended up the other person was the best friend of my husband's brother and knew the family secrets or someone I met on a cruise before. I was on an excursion and a woman was from the street behind me. I'd never have known if I didn't start talking.

Edited by crusinpsychRN