First Caribbean Cruise

Cobbie48

Celebrity Departing FLL 2/16/16 9 nights to St Croix, Tortola, Anguilla, St Marten

Will it be humid? I live in CO so not used to humidity. Not comfortable in shorts or skirts so plan on light weight jeans and capris for daytime.

Do I need bug spray for mosquitoes?

Rain jacket??

I know to bring OTC melds and my prescriptions, bathing suit/cover up, hat/visor and sunscreen, sneakers and sandals.

Sparkly top for casual chic nights.

Am I missing anything? Credit cards and money, of course!

Do I need anything special for my cell phone? When I go to Europe I buy a data plan for texting and Internet. Don't need to make phone calls.

Thanks!!

You're going to some great ports! It's always SUMMER in the Caribbean.

You will be more comfortable on your ports stop in very light weight cotton capris than light weight jeans. Try to wear tops that are a bit loose and not tight fitting. The tighter they are, the hotter they are. ;)

Enjoy your cruise! :D

LuLu

Celebrity Departing FLL 2/16/16 9 nights to St Croix, Tortola, Anguilla, St Marten

Will it be humid? I live in CO so not used to humidity. Not comfortable in shorts or skirts so plan on light weight jeans and capris for daytime.

Rain jacket??

I know to bring OTC melds and my prescriptions, bathing suit/cover up, hat/visor and sunscreen, sneakers and sandals.

Sparkly top for casual chic nights.

Am I missing anything? Credit cards and money, of course!

Do I need anything special for my cell phone? When I go to Europe I buy a data plan for texting and Internet. Don't need to make phone calls.

Thanks!!

Basically it is always in the 80s in the Caribbean. It is in the lower 80s in the wintertime and in the upper 80s in the summertime. The humidity is not that bad in the wintertime. It would be a lot worse in the summertime.

I've been to the Caribbean many times over several years and have not run into an mosquitoes. I know that they are there, but if you are out in the open with even a slight breeze you are going to be find. If you are going to spend a lot of time inland in the jungle, then yes, you'll need bug spray.

I would not bring a heavy rain jacket. It does rain in the Caribbean. However, it is usually a light rain off and on or a heavy rain for ten minutes preceded and followed by a nice sunny day. Bring a light waterproof jacket and you'll be fine. If the rain is heavy, find some shelter and relax for a few minutes.

Edited by Cuizer2

Well, I actually hope no cruise ship ever goes to Anguilla. It's an amazing, small island worthy of a visit but you are actually going to Antigua (also fabulous, by the way!). :)

I would definitely ask you to reconsider the not wearing shorts or skirts thing. Jeans are far too hot for the Caribbean, they really are. We don't even pack them. I don't mean to pry, but if the reason is that you feel you don't look good in shorts and skirts, I want you to know that you will see all shapes and sizes of women on your cruise and in ports, and they will all (well, 99%?) be wearing shorts, skirts, sundresses, or capris. You will not be out of place wearing any of those things. I just don't want you to be hot there - it is the Caribbean and you are going to be hot regardless - jeans will just make you hotter. They don't breathe.

Perhaps you can look online for some summer clothing; most websites have free returns/exchanges.

And yes, it will be humid and personally, I wouldn't take a rain jacket. Showers are brief in the Caribbean and clothes dry quickly, not to worry.

Have fun!!

I have only been to St. Maarten on your itinerary and I absolutely loved it there! It is actually one of my most favorite places I have ever visited. I was a little sad when I had to leave so soon on one of my cruises. I'd love to go back and spend more time there someday. Sarafina's on the French side is a must see place, if you enjoy pastries and have the time.

In regards to what you asked, the most important thing is to wear what you are comfortable wearing. It will be humid in the areas you are visiting, so you will definitely want to plan accordingly. I am very much like you and hate wearing shorts. If you're not used to the humidity and don't handle it well, you may want to find something you can wear that is lighter that you feel comfortable in. I almost exclusively wear jeans, even on cruises. The only time I wear shorts is when I know I'll be getting in the water. I'm used to humidity, growing up in the midwest, so my tolerance level is rather high. I was the guy that walked around Singapore, a country with very high humidity, in jeans.

I think packing more than you might need is better than packing too light and not bringing something. I never seemed to have problems with bugs anywhere I went, but if it is a concern of yours, you can certainly pack it. I hope you get to sit back, relax and enjoy your cruise!

Wear whatever you're comfortable in. You'll see plenty of ladies in traditional Indian or Muslim clothing and they get along just fine. Loose is better. Jeans might be a little hotter than a conservative light weight dress but it's whatever makes you smile. It's your vacation. As for rain wear, I carry a couple of those $1.99 throw away rain ponchos that are packaged about the size of a wallet. We also much prefer insect repellent wipes since they don't overspray onto those around you or blow in your own eyes and mouth. We take Clorox wipes and wipe down the entire cabin regularly. Everyone fears Noro (which bleach won't kill) but it's really the everyday cold/flu that you should protect against.

Edited by lifes-a-beach

I would advise to be cautious going to Sarafina's IF that very aggressive beggar is still hanging around outside there. I posted about him on my trip review and several mentioned he had hit them up for money, pastries, chocolate. He demands you give him money. The staff there does nothing about him, and usually he is actually INSIDE the establishment. Also the pastries and sandwiches they offer there isn't that much better than what you can get on the ship.

As for clothes, how about a maxi length cotton sundress? Very lightweight, easy to pack, and comfortable! You can even double it up as a cover up. They sell presmocked fabric at Joann's and other fabric stores. You just sew up one seam and you got yourself a dress. Or if you really don't want to do a skirt or shorts, cotton yoga pants (loose fit ones) or linen capris.

Edited by whataboutport

[Celebrity Departing FLL 2/16/16 9 nights to St Croix, Tortola, Anguilla, St Marten

Will it be humid?

Rain jacket??

Thanks!!

It will be hot. It may feel humid because warm air holds more moisture than cool air, but the islands on your itinerary are on the dry side. You are going during the dry season. But to repeat: it will feel hot, particularly if you are active.

You're going during the dry season in a dry area, so mosquitos are not likely to be a problem, particularly near beaches where sea-breezes and salt-water are not conducive to flying insects. I've had one bite in six trips.

As someone else said, rain is possible but likely to be short-lived. You dry off pretty quick in the sun.

• 2 weeks later...

Put your cell phone in airplane mode. Still use it as a camera or alarm clock.

Roaming rates on ships and in the carribean are a killer.

I use free wifi in ports to email family. All crew members know the spots on the islands.

Celebrity Departing FLL 2/16/16 9 nights to St Croix, Tortola, Anguilla, St Marten<snip> Not comfortable in shorts or skirts so plan on light weight jeans and capris for daytime.

Thanks!!

Hi - like you , I don't care for shorts and I don't think I own a skirt! Have been to many of your ports, although not in February. I wear cotton capris including denim capris in both light and dark colors with no problems. Only time I was overheated was in a dark colored heavy linen top - so now I pack only light colored cotton tops.

I carry a small folding fan - think Southern belle - and it is very useful if it becomes a bit humid. Don't forget a light weight, light colored sun hat to cover your head. We always carry water, the colder the better.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the beautiful blue waters of the Caribbean.

I HATE maxi dresses...I think they are more uncomfortable than capris! I've never brought jeans to a hot-weather destination...cotton capris will work just fine.

What is uncomfortable about maxi dress and capris? They shouldn't be uncomfortable unless they are not the right fit for you.

Word of advice: I always found shorts and skirts uncomfortable. Then I arrived in Florida wearing a pair of what I thought were lightweight jeans. Immediately went to the hotel giftshop and bought a long skirt. The humidity WILL take you by surprise if you don't have a lot of experience travelling to warmer climates.

Also, if you're like me and the aversion to skirts/shorts is an inexplicable awkwardness about exposing your knees, I will tell you that long, loose skirts are wonderful in the heat. Takes a bit of getting used to with them swishing around your ankles, but you adjust soon enough.

not to get off topic but i am also going on my first cruise.Going to the carribbean also.TURKS ST THOMAS SAN JUAN AND HALF MOON CITY.Just a quick question do i need or should i get vaccine? I HEAR YES I HEAR NO.TAHE CDC says hep A is recommended.The cruise is feb 28 to march 6th i know kinda late to think about vaccine but as i said never been on a cruise so didnt even think of it.

not to get off topic but i am also going on my first cruise.Going to the carribbean also.TURKS ST THOMAS SAN JUAN AND HALF MOON CITY.Just a quick question do i need or should i get vaccine? I HEAR YES I HEAR NO.THE CDC says hep A is recommended.The cruise is feb 28 to march 6th i know kinda late to think about vaccine but as i said never been on a cruise so didnt even think of it.

Hi welcome to Cruise Critic.

You might get more responses if you start a new thread with your topic - Vaccines needed for Caribbean? Just click the New Thread tab above the Announcement-Valentines Contest ... above the blue band of color. Or post it on the HAL board (if that is your cruise line).

That being said - I asked the same question before I took a Western Caribbean cruise last fall and was told that unless I planned to hike through the jungle or dine at remote native villages, I should be OK. I have visited all the ports on your itinerary except Half Moon and they were all very safe.

I doubt that any of your ports have a current Hep A outbreak, however these are the precautions listed on the Mayo Clinic Site:

Practice good hygiene. Thoroughly wash your hands often, especially after using the toilet or changing a diaper and before preparing food or eating.

If you're traveling in regions where hepatitis A outbreaks occur, peel and wash all fresh fruits and vegetables yourself and avoid raw or undercooked meat and fish. Don't drink beverages of unknown purity, with or without ice. Drink bottled water and use it when brushing your teeth. [NOTE: The water on the ship is very safe to drink.]

Washing your hands thoroughly and frequently is probably your best practice - always a good habit to get into when travelling anywhere.

Have a wonderful cruise, and it you haven't already, you might want to find your Roll Call so you can "meet" some of the others on your cruise. Scroll down to Roll Calls on the Cruise Critic Message Board screen and click on Find Your Roll Call.

Thanks for all your advice. I found 2 pairs of capris, super light weight wide leg pants and will bring a couple skirts. LLBean now sells tee shirts with sleeves just to the elbow and I have a couple on order.

Sounds perfect. :D I'll have to check out LL Bean.

Have fun!

Hot & Humid--YES.

I agree, stick with lightweight capris, not jeans if you don't do shorts. (and I agree that maxi dresses are HOT--all that fabric!) I do recommend tossing in a pair of twill shorts, you may find you want them.

Bug spray--I have used this ONCE (Mayan ruins trip in Costa Maya, MX in rain forest) & NEVER again but I WILL be bringing it this time will all the mosquito issues these days.

No vaccines necessary these days.

Rain coat--never needed one. Has it rained? Yep, but too hot to want another layer to wear or carry.