Best/Most useful souvenir from Alaska

Fengsters

We are going to Alaska next week, yeah!, and are wondering what sort of things to look for to remember our trip. What has been the best or most useful item you've picked up in your Alaskan travels? We will be in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

Thanks

Absolutely an ulu knife. We use ours all the time. Great for chopping, cutting meat and even for cutting pizza. Get the wooden bowl and the sharpener.

.... And I agree with Mr Green....don't get a cheapie made in China.

I also like the ivory jewellery made from fossilized mammoth tusk. These are usually made by local artisans.

Mary

We don't use our Ulu knife as much, but it's still nice to have.

I also have a jade pendant that I bought on an Alaskan cruise and wear all the time, but technically I didn't buy it in Alaska, I bought it in Victoria BC :)

Glacier Silt Soap from Juneau.

I hadn't heard of this place until our last Alaska cruise - our tablemates mentioned that they were going to get some when we stopped in Juneau.

We happen to go past the shack and I picked up a few bars (I like the original best). It is AWESOME. I love the soap and the smell. Last year - I even asked my friend to pick up some more for me when she went.

It's in a little shack on the same side at the cruise ships. In between the Mt. Roberts Tram and the Library.

You won't be disappointed and it's made in Alaska - you can't get much better than that.

do consider the ulu knife that comes in a set with a chopping board that has a slight bowl shape depression in it. (this is probably a made in china cheapie....)

was worth checking out those discount booklets (given out at immigration or can be picked up at the visitors centres).

we found that Ketchikan was slightly better for shopping (compared to Juneau)

Glacier Silt Soap from Juneau.

I hadn't heard of this place until our last Alaska cruise - our tablemates mentioned that they were going to get some when we stopped in Juneau.

We happen to go past the shack and I picked up a few bars (I like the original best). It is AWESOME. I love the soap and the smell. Last year - I even asked my friend to pick up some more for me when she went.

It's in a little shack on the same side at the cruise ships. In between the Mt. Roberts Tram and the Library.

You won't be disappointed and it's made in Alaska - you can't get much better than that.

Oh yes, how could I forget that! I buy some every year. I also love the original, and the lemon, and another that comes in a red bag and is slightly spicy. I was afraid I wouldn't have time to get any this year, since we were on a tight schedule for our whale watch tour. Luckily we were able to get off the ship a little earlier than expected and walked briskly into town from the AJ Dock, and got to town with enough time to spare. I love using it in the middle of the winter and thinking about Alaska!

I'll chime in and say Ulu as well... just remember however to make sure it's in your packed luggage when you head home, and not in your carryon:rolleyes:

We had a small luggage adventure at the Anchorage airport, because we were traveling with carryon only. While we didn't forget we bought the Ulu, we never stopped to 'remember' that it wouldn't be allowed through security. The tsa people acted like we were deliberately trying to sneak it past them..... which we weren't.

I know you can't carry on a Ulu knife onto a plane, but what about getting it on the ship? We had a WOODEN machetti taken from us at St. Marteen one year and it had a wooden blade on it. My travel agent said Princess allows knives only up to 7 cm. I know that knife is larger than that.

Anyone had issues?

Refrigerator magnets. :D

My wife buys one or two from each port on every cruise. They are a nice daily reminder of the awesome experiences we've had while cruising.

We do magnets also. Our refrigerator door is 30" tall by 34" wide and it is covered with magnet momentos.

Most people I know just ship them back. Many of the stores ship them.

My favorite Alaskan souvenirs aren't Alaskan at all. I'm kind of "over" souvenirs, you know? I no longer buy the tees and sweats and shirts with the name of where I went on vacation. I bought some Polish pottery at a store in Juneau about two blocks down from where the ship docked. The last two times we were there I bought two pieces each time. I love it.

I used to buy Christmas ornaments when we traveled. Or for other people as a little thank you for house-sitting or taking in our mail or watering the plants, that kind of thing. Anything big and bulky though, I have shipped.

I had no trouble getting onto a Princess ship with an Ulu. I've also carried on a pocket knife that I bought as a gift for my son.

This year, my son's friend bought a nice, sheathed knife and had to turn it in when we got back on the ship. They gave him a receipt for it. When we disembarked at the end of the cruise, as soon as he scanned his card getting off, he was directed over to a crew member who took the receipt and returned the knife.

We've started getting Christmas ornaments to remind us of our cruises with our kids. I just love seeing the smiles on their faces as they hang the ornament on the tree and hearing some of their memories from that cruise as well.

Most people I know just ship them back. Many of the stores ship them.

My favorite Alaskan souvenirs aren't Alaskan at all. I'm kind of "over" souvenirs, you know? I no longer buy the tees and sweats and shirts with the name of where I went on vacation. I bought some Polish pottery at a store in Juneau about two blocks down from where the ship docked. The last two times we were there I bought two pieces each time ped.

It was probably Russian not Polish. There are lots of Russian souvenir s as Alaska was originally settled by the Russians.