TA Question

33Minnie33

We are doing our first TA in Oct. and I have a question about how people dress. Do people dress up in nice clothes every night? We cruise a few time a year but always in the Carribean and I wear a different dress every night. As I am starting to put items in our extra room that I would like to take, I don't think we will make it in 2 large suitcases and 2 carry on size. Any tips or tricks on what to take.

There are 2 of us Cruising from Rome to Miami. Any clue on the weather at that time of the year?

If you have any other tips or tricks please pass them on.

Thanks

If leaving from FL, our May TA across was very mild temps, so comfy-casual for ship lounging. Before going to more suitcases, think about using cleaning service onboard given airline bag fees. My wife mixes separates to economize on packing.

Try looking in 'Reviews" for past Oct TAs for weather info.

Good Luck

A different dress every night? Yikes! Forget suitcases and start looking for a steamer trunk. Or two! :)

Seriously, plan to dress up for formal nights, but go for dressy casual the remaining evenings. It's easy to mix-and-match outfits, and no one will notice or care if you wore those slacks another evening.

I tend to be an over-packer, but one thing I try to do is pick a base color and coordinating colors so I can mix and match. I find that Chicos Travelers knits work well for me because they pack well and wash well.

We are doing our first TA in Oct. and I have a question about how people dress. Do people dress up in nice clothes every night? We cruise a few time a year but always in the Carribean and I wear a different dress every night. As I am starting to put items in our extra room that I would like to take, I don't think we will make it in 2 large suitcases and 2 carry on size. Any tips or tricks on what to take.

There are 2 of us Cruising from Rome to Miami. Any clue on the weather at that time of the year?

If you have any other tips or tricks please pass them on.

Thanks

Yes, people generally dress in nice clothes every night. That doesn't mean you need to have a new outfit every night. Repeat some of them. Lay out everything you'd like to bring and then edit it down until it fits into your luggage.

A pair of black slacks, a pair of white slacks 1 skirt and and 5 or 6 cute tops that mix & match with the pants & skirt plus a little black dress for formal night, a scarf or two and jewelry and I am good for 14 nights. Use the dry cleaning as needed and hand wash the tops.

I don't think most people remember what anyone wore 2 days ago. Heck sometimes I can't remember what I wore 2 days ago;)

We are also doing our first TA from Rome in Nov. We have mainly done warmer climates before. Black is a given, but I was wondering if white slacks would be appropriate for this area and time of year. I pretty much know what I will wear for evenings, but I was wondering about what to wear for tours at the ports. I've heard that Europeans are dressier. I would normally wear athletic shoes for tours, but someone said that Americans would be the only people wearing tennis shoes.

I would normally wear athletic shoes for tours, but someone said that Americans would be the only people wearing tennis shoes.
Wear shoes that are comfortable to you, don't not wear your sneakers because you think they don't wear them in Europe. I saw just as many sneakers, as I did awful looking sandals there. I have worn sneakers on 6 out of 7 continents and have never felt out of place. The one thing you don't want, is for your feet to hurt during your shore excursions.

Wear shoes that are comfortable to you, don't not wear your sneakers because you think they don't wear them in Europe. I saw just as many sneakers, as I did awful looking sandals there. I have worn sneakers on 6 out of 7 continents and have never felt out of place. The one thing you don't want, is for your feet to hurt during your shore excursions.

Agreed.

When it comes to being a tourist / exploring a new destination... Comfort trumps fashion as long as it is appropriate & in good taste for the place being visited.

Pants or Capris are good. Athletic Shoes, Sneakers or lighter Keds are all fine.

What can make a difference is skin coverage.

In some parts of the world that means for women a skirt vs shorts, of a top with short sleeves vs a tank.. And of course less cleavage / skin showing. Never hurts to pack along a pashmina in your day bag, can work to either cover shoulders or head as needed.

Cheers!

A little something for men;) A black sport coat - grey pants - black pants - Tan pants - 4 long sleeve dress shirts (white, strips, pale blue, grey) - 3 ties that have all the colors to coordinate - 2 pr. nice jeans - 4 polo shirts - 1 pr. of shorts (for the ship crossing in Oct., it got warm) socks - undies - belt - black shoes (that look dressy, but are really a tennis shoe, Clarks come to mind) - swimsuit - foldable raincoat - pj's optional :eek: This list got my DH thru 30 days of Med TA from Athens to Florida, he never looked out of place.

Yes we did have to use the laundry service 3 times, once a week, the last weeks worth we did when we got home. (We hand washed socks & undies)

I found a simple black dress - 1 pr. dress pants - 4 dressy tops - a dressy black skirt - 2 every day pants - 1 below the knee denim skirt - 4 everyday tops - 1 simple sweater - 4 scarfs (used different ways, makes it appear to be a new outfit, simple) - 1 pr. dress shoes - a cushy pr. of black maryjane Clark shoes - 1 pr. of shorts (for the crossing on deck) socks, undies, pj's, swimsuit - foldable raincoat.

1 carry-on each, 1 checked bag for the both of us, 1 collapsable bag to bring back goodies we found that I put my purse in coming home and called it my purse (i.e.: my personal extra on the plane home).

A little something for men;) A black sport coat - grey pants - black pants - Tan pants - 4 long sleeve dress shirts (white, strips, pale blue, grey) - 3 ties that have all the colors to coordinate - 2 pr. nice jeans - 4 polo shirts - 1 pr. of shorts (for the ship crossing in Oct., it got warm) socks - undies - belt - black shoes (that look dressy, but are really a tennis shoe, Clarks come to mind) - swimsuit - foldable raincoat - pj's optional :eek: This list got my DH thru 30 days of Med TA from Athens to Florida, he never looked out of place.

Yes we did have to use the laundry service 3 times, once a week, the last weeks worth we did when we got home. (We hand washed socks & undies)

I found a simple black dress - 1 pr. dress pants - 4 dressy tops - a dressy black skirt - 2 every day pants - 1 below the knee denim skirt - 4 everyday tops - 1 simple sweater - 4 scarfs (used different ways, makes it appear to be a new outfit, simple) - 1 pr. dress shoes - a cushy pr. of black maryjane Clark shoes - 1 pr. of shorts (for the crossing on deck) socks, undies, pj's, swimsuit - foldable raincoat.

1 carry-on each, 1 checked bag for the both of us, 1 collapsable bag to bring back goodies we found that I put my purse in coming home and called it my purse (i.e.: my personal extra on the plane home).

I'm not sure what a foldable raincoat is, but that's a great list!

Definitely repeat outfits! I always bring a pair of black Chico's Traveler's pants, a black skirt, and white slacks. What I change up is the top - with scarves, a jacket, jewelry. I do separates rather than a dress. Every cruise I tend to have a general color scheme so that I can wear some tops with capris during the day and then at night with something.

And use laundry. We always used it, and were happy to get the elite perks when we got to that point. But we budgeted it in because we didn't want to take a complete new outfit for every night and every day!

For a long trip, like a TA or several back-to-backs, we each take 5 - 6 days of clothing.

That provides enough so we can dress comfortably with some variety and have everything we need for day and evening wear,

while avoiding the nuisance of unnecessary, excessive luggage to pack and unpack and drag around.

It is enough so we can avoid paying extra fees for expedited laundry service as well as providing a buffer from concerns about possible spills or delayed return of laundry.

The outfits worn on the first 2 days that need cleaning or laundering are sent out for laundry/dry cleaning on the third day.

Then different outfits are worn on days 3 and 4.

Using the regular laundry and dry cleaning services, the first batch comes back on day 4, or possibly day 5 if delayed.

The next batch goes out on day 5, and we just keep repeating the cycle from then on as needed.

If we should spill something, or clothing gets soaked in the rain or gets muddy, we can send it right out that day and don't need to wait for it to go with the rest of the next load.

The best part is that it is effortless as you don't need to drive it over to drop it off at the neighborhood dry cleaner or go pick it up when it is ready.

You just leave it in a laundry bag in your stateroom whenever you like, your stateroom attendant or butler takes care of it, and you are free to go off and do whatever you want.

Totally agree that when it comes to shoes for travel, comfort and convenience trump fashion every time. Would never pack special shoes for a cruise just to wear with a tux.

Edited by fleckle

A pair of black slacks, a pair of white slacks 1 skirt and and 5 or 6 cute tops that mix & match with the pants & skirt plus a little black dress for formal night, a scarf or two and jewelry and I am good for 14 nights. Use the dry cleaning as needed and hand wash the tops.

I don't think most people remember what anyone wore 2 days ago. Heck sometimes I can't remember what I wore 2 days ago;)

That's exactly what I do too. DH and I have done 6 weeks in Europe, two of them a TA, with a 24" suitcase each and one carryon. Very doable!!

Here is what Im planning fir our TA in Oct .

My carryon has all ineed for 4 days in. rome and first night on ship

I bring cargo pants a a few thin tops. A sweater and 1shorta cute dress just in case for a nice evening out short in case its hot,hat comfy sandals,slippers,nightwear wtc The tops could complement any bottom ....

In my suitcase ...fancy outfits as per fancy night ...3 ......,4 slacks or capris 8 tops,3shorts with other tops,and summer dresses 3...many bottoms match different tops for more options summer colours are fine too ...limit of 2fancy pairs of shoes ..usually cute sandals ...no heels on ships ......as comfy ones are on my feet ,..1pair in carry on

i think working in 3works best .for transats it gets cool at first so hoody or sweaters a must ..my stuff for Rome is also for seadays if casual stuff is needed for daytime wear

3shorts ..3bathing suits ..as we are heading towardsCaribbean

Bathing suits with cover alls

I plan to take one suitcase ...rolling clothes is space saving ..i learned to buy thin tops even with long sleeves very easy to roll

Dining rooms and hallways are a tad coooooooool...brrrrrrso a sweater is a must as is a hoodie in wind on deck rainproof thin jacket too ..it was pouring in Azores

Will start seriously planning outfits soon ....i love changing too so this will be a test of economy ....lOL

Good luck

Michele

Regarding your question about sneakers: you definitely want comfortable walking shoes for your shore excursions. If you have a "The Walking Store" in your area, they carry the brand, Naot (hope I spelled that correctly). They are made for walking and have some cute styles. Before our first trip to Europe, I bought a black pair and a brown pair because I too didn't want to be dubbed a "dumb American". I loved them. They are perfect for long periods of walking without hurting your feet and they give you a bit of feeling more stylish.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Another vote for black pants and assorted tops. You can wear them in Europe and on the ship, day or night, casual or more elegant, depending on the tops and jewelry. Comfortable black sandles with a little heel height, ditto.

A black knit twin sweater set works great even on formal nights with pearls.

We love TAs, and I plan two really dressy tops and then repeat as needed for additional formal nights. Honestly nobody pays attention to or remembers anyone else's formal or daytime wear unless it is outlandish.

Of course, you'll be sick of those black pants by the end of the trip, but who cares?

IMO, if you can swing it to dress up each evening, you won't regret it. We find Celebrity TAs to be pretty dressy, for the most part. Many women do the black slacks, white slacks, print tops thing, but many more wear dresses.

When I do a longer cruise like that, with air travel involved, I take the three formals that take up the least space, 5 or 6 dresses that I wear twice each, and two skirts and two tops that are all interchangeable.

For ports I take black slacks, a jacket (also worn on the plane), and use the jersey tops that I wore with skirts in the evening.

My suitcase has never gone over 32 pounds on the airport scale.

DH does take a tux, wears one sport coat on the plane, packs another, and has chinos, dress pants, and shirts that are interchangeable.

Our last TA I over packed as usual , however one couple at our table for their extended time in Europe and the 13 day cruise packed in a CARRY ON EACH. They were a lovely couple and always appeared at dinner nicely dressed. I doubt I'll ever achieve that amount of luggage but oh how sweet it would be. No more dragging three suitcases, two carry ons and a C-pap appliance through the airports. 😀