Falmouth- Check out Chukka Beach Break

kruzerci

I think people have said it is a come and go when ever thing, correct? So I can catch whatever shuttle I want out to the beach and come back to the ship whenever I want? Does anyone know if you can do more than one roundtrip? I.e. go out in the morning, come back to the ship for lunch, go back in the afternoon?

Also, are there hammocks? If not, were there trees to hang up a temporary hammock and do you think they would have an issue with this?

• 2 weeks later...

We get into Falmouth at 8:30 am. What time does the earliest bus head out to Chukka? I think since we can stay longer than 4 hours this sounds perfect for us. I want to spend all day at the beach.

Does the information booth at the port open as soon as we arrive so we can buy tickets to go?

The busses run only on the hour? Or do they run on the 1/2 hour? Just want to make sure we know which bus we need to grab to get back to the ship

IIRC the shuttles run on the hour. Don't know about more than one trip, you'll have to check into that.

As to hammocks, I think there were a few there, not sure. Plenty of loungers though.

You can get your tickets on the ship I believe. I got a slightly better deal at the pier.

Your mileage may vary. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
So sounds like one can take a cab to the rickety restaurant, sit on some beach towels and enjoy some Red Stripes on the cheap. :D

Is the place down the beach past the rocks ?

Recently walked into a Falmouth grocery and stocked up on Red Stripes, rum, juice, snacks and water for $11. Caught a cab to Burwood Beach (public) for $5 each way per person and spent the day relaxing on a pretty empty gorgeous beach. We could see Red Stripe Beach? to our left and I believe Chukka is also in this area. Vendors there offered 4 loungers for $20, red stripes for $3, other snacks and rum drinks and the usual beaded crafts. There was a school holiday that day and the kids were so curious about life in the US and spent some time talking, swimming with and quizzing my boys. Fishing boats returned with their catch throughout the day and the kids always made a bee line to see the bounty. It would have been idyllic if not for the persistent hawking of ALL manner of goods:rolleyes:

I noticed as a single mom with 3 older teens (20, 19, 16) that I was being bothered much more than the other 3 non Jamaican groups on the beach that day so your experience could vary. Could also be that I purchased the loungers and the other groups did not, making me more of a target?

Never once felt unsafe, just tired of saying no thank you! Cab driver returned at the requested time and we asked for his recommendation for roadside jerk lunch next. He charged another $20 for the side trip and we enjoyed talking with him over lunch. Overall, we felt it was a good day and would do this again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

• 1 month later...
Hi. We're doing the Chukka beach break in Jamaica. Was the beach crowded? Were there enough umbrellas and other shade areas? Any info would be appreciated.

we also would like some shady areas if we go here....want to spend all our sun time in the Carribean water and shade time on land...looks like water is calm with a sandy bottom....please advise if you've been there..gracias

Hi. We went there. The beach was not too crowded and there was shade. There is a snack and drink hit also. We did the jerk chicken lunch and it was good also. Beach picnic food. I recommend getting there early. Try to be there first so you can have your pick of shady areas. There are also umbrellas. Nice sandy bottom beach. Very calm water. Locals will try to sell you things if you leave the Chuka area of beach.

Thanks for all the great info! Haven't seen a reply as to whether or not we can leave the beach, go back to the ship for lunch & then return to the beach later.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

There's not really enough time to return to the ship for lunch and then return to the beach. I would plan on grabbing a bite at the beach. When we were there you could purchase lunch for around $10 if you didn't do the chuka beach break with lunch. The beach was a good 1/2 hour bus ride from the pier. I don't recommend just going to the beach without a tour like chuka. I don't think it's a very safe area.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if it's possible to get to Chukka Beach using taxi or reserve transportation in advance. Our cruise line (MSC) is offering it for $35 per person, which seams to be expensive for a 10 minute ride. Any thoughts / advise is appreciated.

Does anyone know if this beach is only available through the cruise line? Is it possible to hire a transport and do it on your own? Our cruise line is asking $35 per person. Seams very expensive just to go to the beach that is 10 minutes away to spend $70 for 2 people. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Does anyone know if this beach is only available through the cruise line? Is it possible to hire a transport and do it on your own? Our cruise line is asking $35 per person. Seams very expensive just to go to the beach that is 10 minutes away to spend $70 for 2 people. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

This tour isn't even offered by RCCL anymore!! Very disappointed because we wanted to go there again.

• 5 months later...
This tour isn't even offered by RCCL anymore!! Very disappointed because we wanted to go there again.

Does anyone know why this excursion isn't being offered any more. We went to this beach last year and had a great time. Was hoping to return again next year. I'll have to find another beach, now.:(

I dont see why you couldnt use your own taxi. When we went last year to Falmouth there are several taxi vans waiting in the compound and we went to Doctors cave which was great. We are going next week and woukd like to try some other place.

I dont see why you couldnt use your own taxi. When we went last year to Falmouth there are several taxi vans waiting in the compound and we went to Doctors cave which was great. We are going next week and woukd like to try some other place.

Did not like Doctor's Cave at all. Their chairs were horrid. I want a lounger when I go to the beach, not an uncomfortable "deck" chair. Ended up sitting on my beach mat all day. Beach was pretty but would never go there again just b/c of the chairs

Did not like Doctor's Cave at all. Their chairs were horrid. I want a lounger when I go to the beach, not an uncomfortable "deck" chair. Ended up sitting on my beach mat all day. Beach was pretty but would never go there again just b/c of the chairs

I was just at Doctors Cave beach last week. They do have regular lounge chairs now.

• 2 weeks later...
If you're going to Falmouth and looking for an easy, cheap beach day, look into the Chucka Beach Break. It can only be booked through the cruise line (with or without lunch) and it was a really pleasant surprise. It was only $29 including transportation, we felt safe, the beach was beautiful, the only downside was the uncomfortable (free) beach chairs, which were alright after you covered them with towels.

For the price, you cannot beat it. They have busses running back to the port every hour on the hour, so even though the excursion says 4 hours, you can make it anywhere from 2-6 hours. The employees were friendly, there was lots of security from outside vendors, and they have a gift shop (no pressure to buy anything though) and a cash bar.

My only advice is don't walk beyond the perimeters of Chukka Beach, if you do, the vendors will bombard you. They will stress this to you on the ride there.

Here are a few pictures from our Freedom of the Seas 5/13/2012 cruise. Let me know if you have any questions, we are definitely going back in December when go stop there

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Do you know what beach this is. I don't see this excursion listed for our cruise.