Define the "Upgrade Fairy"

I often see posts by people who have been visited by the Upgrade Fairy.

Does this mean you were upgraded for free, or given the opportunity to upgrade for a reduced rate? When does the Upgrade Fairy typically visit, and how? (email, phone call?) They would contact you before moving you, right?

Can you refuse an upgrade? (For instance, we're sailing in October on Carnival Dream in a Cove balcony on deck 2. It's a really great location, and a regular balcony cabin on a higher deck would technically be an upgrade, but not to us.) Next May, we have an E2 on the hump booked for Freedom, moving to a different balcony location (even though that might be a more expensive room, wouldn't necessarily be better for us because we love those hump rooms. Now if it was a suite, we'd move.

Generally the upgrade fairy is a free upgrade to the next class of room (as opposed to category, which is the same kind of room, but maybe bigger).

I've never been so lucky, but they usually contact you a week or two before the cruise and ask if you want the bigger room. In the case of my friends with Carnival, they got a phone call a week before the cruise departure, however they had already left on vacation and thus didn't get the message. All the more reason its a good idea to give them you cell phone number as your method of contact. (That also helps if they need to warn you the ship is departing from the port early.:eek:)

If you don't want to be upgraded, make sure to have them put "no upgrade" on your reservation. Or I think you can also add upgrade preferences to your reservation, or C&A account, but I would call and make sure it gets added correctly if this is what you want.)

As for the upgrade fairy (she is not around a lot), I have heard of some people not knowing until they looked at their reservation or when they showed up at the pier, so no they don't always call you.

They(cruiselines) are trying to sell the remaining cabins.

It is easier to sell the less expensive cabins last minute than the higher $$ ones.

The will offer upgrades to passengers who's cabins they can resell, and it is not always free.

They will try to sell you an upgrade for less than posted price.

Sometimes it's a good deal, sometimes they try to rip you off.

Sometimes they just bump you up for free.

It's strictly business, I don't know where this "Fairy" crap came from..

They(cruiselines) are trying to sell the remaining cabins.

It is easier to sell the less expensive cabins last minute than the higher $$ ones.

The will offer upgrades to passengers who's cabins they can resell, and it is not always free.

They will try to sell you an upgrade for less than posted price.

Sometimes it's a good deal, sometimes they try to rip you off.

Sometimes they just bump you up for free.

It's strictly business, I don't know where this "Fairy" crap came from..

Probably because you really started cruising with Royal Caribbean after the "Fairy" pretty much vanished. She was alive and well until about 2009, and then went into hiding.

There was a period of time that we were upgraded several times in a year, which lasted until about 6 months after the Mariner arrived on the West Coast.

I believe, at that point, Royal Caribbean changed some of thier rules, and the fairy ie, the C&A Diamond+ desk and the revenue department, have limited the upgrades, as the ships are sailing full more often than not, and they are not having to give any cabins away to make way for passengers in a lower catagory.

Rick

I often see posts by people who have been visited by the Upgrade Fairy.

Does this mean you were upgraded for free, or given the opportunity to upgrade for a reduced rate? When does the Upgrade Fairy typically visit, and how? (email, phone call?) They would contact you before moving you, right?

Can you refuse an upgrade? (For instance, we're sailing in October on Carnival Dream in a Cove balcony on deck 2. It's a really great location, and a regular balcony cabin on a higher deck would technically be an upgrade, but not to us.) Next May, we have an E2 on the hump booked for Freedom, moving to a different balcony location (even though that might be a more expensive room, wouldn't necessarily be better for us because we love those hump rooms. Now if it was a suite, we'd move.

We got a call from the fairy 3 days before our explorer cruise back in 2011 and we were booked in a hump cabin on deck 7. (always get a hump cabin and love it) They told us they would move us to the grand suite on deck 10 at n/c to us if we liked. Although unsure, we took it. WOOO HOOO. FANTASTIC!! :) Going back to a hump cabin (freedom 2012) just wasn't the same.:(

oh yeah, we were only gold members back then so go figure.:confused:

"Upgrade Fairy" - A mythological creature who randomly appears and upgrades those who least deserve it!

(my snarky comment refers to the fact that complimentary upgrades seem to be given to new cruisers rather than those truly loyal to RCCL)

We were upgraded in Jan. 2011. The travel agent called five days before our Voyager cruise and said we were offered an upgrade from a D1 to a Junior Suite, (free) and we took it. During check in we were presented gold cards and told we had been upgraded from the JS to a Grand Suite! Turns out that the people who had originally booked the JS had been upgraded to the GS but wanted to keep the JS so they gave us the GS. All of this started because of a last-minute cancelation by a couple in an Owner's Suite, triggering a series of upgrades.

In March this year our travel agent called again a few days before our cruise and we were again being offered an upgrade from our D1 to a JS. We took it, although this was the second time we had to decide whether we wanted to give up our favorite corner aft cabin. :cool:

We were visited by the "upgrade fairy" on our second Carnival Cruise. Balcony to JS. It happened a few months before our cruise. I was checking online and saw our room number changed. I was in a panic as to where they moved us. I looked up the deck plan and was happy to see that we were upgraded. We must have looked like "Walmart of the Seas" peeps because we were stopped in our tracks at the priority check in and told to get back in line. I showed them the docs and suddenly, "oh, yes, come this way."

I'm kidding about the WOS :D

We were upgraded from a D1 to a GS and NOT asked/called. We didn't find out until we were already on the ship and our key didn't work in the door of the cabin we had booked. I went to the Customer Service desk, and they just said that I went to the wrong cabin and they gave me my new cabin #. Still, I wasn't told that we had been upgraded. When I opened the door to the new room, I realized what had happened.

If you don't want to be moved, have your reservation marked as such. If you want to be called before you are moved, mark that on your reservation too. They do NOT always call.

Our very first Royal cruise the "fairy" secretly visited us. We had the old fashioned luggage tages for ourtr tiny room with a window . When we checked in, the clerk was all giddy and gave us our seapasses. We did not even realize that we had been visited by the fairy until we had to go UP to our cabin instead of down..and it had a huge balcony and a bottle of champagne.

Now that we cruise regularly, no visits. But we got it when we could never have afforded a balcony, we were paying of student loans and the like, and was a nice teat that will not forget!:)

Disney also upgraded us from a one bedroom suite to a two bedroom suite on our first DCL cruise..I think they knew that we would be spoiled forevrer after that and never go back to a one bedroom or a standard room! The DCl suites, BTW , are AMAZING! Try the Walt Disney Suite someday ...worth every penny...except that little kids will ring your bell asking if this is the room where Mickey lives!!!!

I have been visited by her twice and very nicely both times. DD and I were upgraded from a JS to the Royal Suite on our Voyager cruise. DH and I were just upgraded from a GS to a Crown Loft Suite on our recent Allure cruise. She does come see her loyal Royals from time to time and I am glad she does.

We were visited by the "upgrade fairy" on our second Carnival Cruise. Balcony to JS. We must have looked like "Walmart of the Seas" peeps because we were stopped in our tracks at the priority check in and told to get back in line. I showed them the docs and suddenly, "oh, yes, come this way."

I'm kidding about the WOS :D

Ha I have to shop at WOS to be able to afford my cruise every year.:D

Back in the 80's on Carnival I was upgraded from an inside to and porthole cabin, right next to the dinning room. Must have been the worst room on the entire ship. Not one minute of quiet the entire week. I'm glad I haven't been upgraded since then. I select the room I want and I'm sticking to it.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a junior suite reserved last month on the Oasis that we booked using RCI Visa points for free! 3 days prior, we get a call asking if we'd like to upgrade to a crown loft suite for $300 pp.... heck yeah and it was fabulous! first upgrade offer we have ever received and we've been on almost 20 cruises. BTW, we're diamond+

We were on the June 2 sailing to Bermuda on the Explorer. We had balcony 7540, however the sea pass card said 254 on the bottom and it was a silver card with a pattern on it. Didn't pay much attention to it. It did allow us to get into room 7540.We went to the muster drill and the person checking off names gave me a look when we gave him the number. Said that wasn't us. Anyway, back to the room to take a nap. The phone rang and it was guest services saying we had been upgraded to a junior suite and the couple who had our room were waiting to get in. Took us a minute to get to guest services and got our new cards. Moved to junior suite 9254!

"Upgrade Fairy" - A mythological creature who randomly appears and upgrades those who least deserve it!

(my snarky comment refers to the fact that complimentary upgrades seem to be given to new cruisers rather than those truly loyal to RCCL)

So true. We have never been visited by this so called upgrade fairy.

RCL has finally released some clarification regarding upgrades (latest inside edition):

As a member our Crown & Anchor® Society, you receive exclusive privileges which make your cruise experiences with Royal Caribbean International® even more rewarding. We have received a few questions regarding upgrades and wanted to use this opportunity to clarify our policy.

From time to time Royal Caribbean has a very small number of staterooms that become available for upgrades prior to sailing. Should these staterooms become available, our Crown & Anchor® Society Pinnacle Club and Diamond Plus members will be offered a complimentary upgrade. In order to process upgrades, we will now require you to fill out your upgrade preferences online. This is in effect as of May 1st, 2012.

If you have not done so already, you may fill out your upgrade preferences online in your profile. This will allow us to assign an upgraded stateroom as quickly as possible in the even that something becomes available.

Remember, to guarantee the type of stateroom you wish to sail in, please reserve the stateroom of choice at time of booking, as upgrades are very rare.

HOW DO COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADES WORK?

Complimentary upgrades are available exclusively to Pinnacle Club and Diamond Plus members

Your reservation must contain your Crown & Anchor® Society loyalty number

Upgrades will be offered to members who have the highest Cruise Points in descending order

Your stateroom will be assigned based on your online upgrade preference, so there is no need to call us

Upgrades will only be offered from one main category to the next as follows:

From To

Grand Suite Owner's Suite

Junior Suite Grand Suite

Balcony Stateroom Junior Suite

Outside Stateroom Balcony Stateroom

Inside Stateroom Outside Stateroom

Please note: Upgrades may be offered any time between your final payment and four days prior to your sailing date.

In addition to the complimentary upgrade program, Pinnacle Club and Diamond Plus members who have booked suites may on occasion be offered upgrades into higher suites (i.e. Loft, Presidential or Royal Suite) for a reduced rate. You will be contacted by Royal Caribbean to process this upgrade should it become available.

The Upgrade Fairy has proven to be a seductive temptress who waves her wand and makes more of my money disappear for a chance to upgrade on the cheap. I usually find her on my daily price drop check. She is an evil fairy, but I love her. :p

We received our first upgrade on the Serenade this past January (first time sailing as D+). Didn't find out about it until it was noticed trying to go through security that our names were not on the room cards. Back to check-in to find we'd been upgraded from a balcony to a JS. Unfortunately our luggage was not upgraded at it went to our original cabin despite assurances that it would be directed to our suite. A short walk down one deck and there it was. The deck supervisor grabbed two bags and I took one and we were promptly taken care of. He was really great about the whole thing; even though we had to give up our hump cabin we enjoyed the extra room in the suite.

RCL has finally released some clarification regarding upgrades (latest inside edition):

As a member our Crown & Anchor® Society, you receive exclusive privileges which make your cruise experiences with Royal Caribbean International® even more rewarding. We have received a few questions regarding upgrades and wanted to use this opportunity to clarify our policy.

From time to time Royal Caribbean has a very small number of staterooms that become available for upgrades prior to sailing. Should these staterooms become available, our Crown & Anchor® Society Pinnacle Club and Diamond Plus members will be offered a complimentary upgrade. In order to process upgrades, we will now require you to fill out your upgrade preferences online. This is in effect as of May 1st, 2012.

If you have not done so already, you may fill out your upgrade preferences online in your profile. This will allow us to assign an upgraded stateroom as quickly as possible in the even that something becomes available.

Remember, to guarantee the type of stateroom you wish to sail in, please reserve the stateroom of choice at time of booking, as upgrades are very rare.

HOW DO COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADES WORK?

Complimentary upgrades are available exclusively to Pinnacle Club and Diamond Plus members

Your reservation must contain your Crown & Anchor® Society loyalty number

Upgrades will be offered to members who have the highest Cruise Points in descending order

Your stateroom will be assigned based on your online upgrade preference, so there is no need to call us

Upgrades will only be offered from one main category to the next as follows:

From To

Grand Suite Owner's Suite

Junior Suite Grand Suite

Balcony Stateroom Junior Suite

Outside Stateroom Balcony Stateroom

Inside Stateroom Outside Stateroom

Please note: Upgrades may be offered any time between your final payment and four days prior to your sailing date.

In addition to the complimentary upgrade program, Pinnacle Club and Diamond Plus members who have booked suites may on occasion be offered upgrades into higher suites (i.e. Loft, Presidential or Royal Suite) for a reduced rate. You will be contacted by Royal Caribbean to process this upgrade should it become available.

Well, that's how the Crown & Anchor upgrades will work. But I suspect that we will still see posts from new or less-travelled cruisers who receive free upgrades courtesy of the Revenue department.

Archived