Pregnancy Menu

Sapphire723

I agree.

I'm guessing many of the posters who are minimizing your concerns have never experienced the heartbreak of having difficulty getting or staying pregnant. You need to do the things that make you most comfortable.

Follow your doctor's advice.

Celebrity will have no problem accommodating your dietary needs.

I truly don't wish that heartbreak on anyone. I know there are different cultures and generations on the boards, so I can understand how certain restrictions might look strange to someone who had different restrictions. However, I agree with you. I think it'd be better if I follow my doctor's recommendations above those of a stranger on the internet.

I think I'm good now. It seems like I shouldn't have a problem following doctor's orders on the ship... unless I spy one of those chocolate martinis! Then I'll summon my will power of steel. :D

Contains both alcohol and caffeine. Looking at the list I think the biggest issue is going to be caffeine. There are many items that have hidden sources of caffeine including decaf coffee and some pain relievers. If you haven't done so already do a search on sources of caffeine.

Wow. I don't mean to upset you but that is just weird. Where did you get this info from?

Unless you have proper, qualified medical advice to the contrary there are just two basic rules:

1) Avoid alcohol

2) Eat lots

That list OP provided is very similar to the list provided to my currently pregnant wife by her doctors.

Contains both alcohol and caffeine. Looking at the list I think the biggest issue is going to be caffeine. There are many items that have hidden sources of caffeine including decaf coffee and some pain relievers. If you haven't done so already do a search on sources of caffeine.

Yeah, I've definitely checked that out. Plus the only pain reliever I'm allowed is tylenol, so no worries about the excedrine and the caffeine it contains. Thankfully, 200mg is a pretty high limit, so even when I've been having little bits of caffeine, I haven't come anywhere close.

Even if it took you a while to GET pregnant...you are now, and it's a natural state of being. You really don't need to "baby" yourself too much!

Relax, use common sense, and just be healthy in general. Babies are really quite tough!

Even if it took you a while to GET pregnant...you are now, and it's a natural state of being. You really don't need to "baby" yourself too much!

Relax, use common sense, and just be healthy in general. Babies are really quite tough!

Lots of advice like this on this thread.

CB: Are you a doctor, other medical professional, or pregnant? Or are you just using general common sense you learned many decades ago?

I sure wish people would stick to the OP's question instead of rendering alternative medical advice for her. It's one thing telling her how she can follow the diet her doctor instructed her to follow on the ship but a very different thing telling her that she doesn't need to pay attention to her doctor's instructions. I just don't understand why anyone would tell her to ignore her doctor.

Edited by Lsimon

Yikes! Perhaps you should have thought about this before you booked the cruise.

Yikes, I'll bet since she is about 3 months pregnant that she didn't even find out until after the payment deadline. Regardless dietary concerns are far better addressed and many establishments that serve food are so much more educated than just a few years ago and will continue to get better everyday. Like my dear grandmother used to say, "if you can't say anything nice just shut the hell up" or something like that, I forget, sometimes I get her sayings mixed up. :)

Yikes, I'll bet since she is about 3 months pregnant that she didn't even find out until after the payment deadline. Regardless dietary concerns are far better addressed and many establishments that serve food are so much more educated than just a few years ago and will continue to get better everyday. Like my dear grandmother used to say, "if you can't say anything nice just shut the hell up" or something like that, I forget, sometimes I get her sayings mixed up. :)

Thanks for this. :D I did not find out until after final payment, and even if I had, I'm not sure it would have caused us not to go on a babymoon.

On our last cruise I was six months pregnant with our second child. While most of the items in your list were not on my regular diet, there are others that I would have anytime I wanted them. I (the babies) had no issues with what I consumed and did not worry on the ship and had no modifications. The only thing I remember looking up before I left was seafood with higher levels of mercury to be familiar with types of fish that may be out of my norm, but I never ended up modifying/restricting anything.

Good luck and congratulations!

I cruised at 8 weeks pregnant. I found it rather easy to follow the recommended guidelines. It didn't require speaking to a chef or viewing any menus in advance. The "do no eat" foods like lunch meat, ready to eat salads (tuna/chicken), and raw fish are not foods that are typically hidden in an entree. The hardest part is watching people drink all those yummy cocktails! Have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Also, just as a side note (although it was not part of the original question) my OB was well aware of my going on the cruise etc, as doctors are suppose to write the note of "approval".

While I had never taken sea-sick pills/patches, my dr provided something that was okay for the pregnancy (just in case). In addition, that cruise was longer than 7 days (perhaps someone in the group had recently been sick and I don't recall) but the dr also provided a medication. should I begin feeling under the weather. Thankfully, I never needed either, although one tour on St. Lucia left everyone in our vehicle a little green on the crazy return drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is my first pregnancy and it was a hard one to come by at that, so I may be erring on extra cautious. That being said, there's so many things they tell pregnant women to avoid these days, and I didn't realize how much of it was in some of the foods I might regularly eat.

Here's just a few of the things that I can think of off the top of my head. Typically, I end up having to look up certain things if I'm not sure.

• No sushi
  • no booze
  • caffeine <200mg/day
  • no lunch meat
  • no raw egg
  • no unpasteurized milk
  • no cheese made with unpasteurized milk
  • no unpasteurized juice
  • no bacon with nitrates
  • no sausage with nitrates
  • no raw meat
  • no meat that isn't well done
  • no fish with high mercury content
  • limited fish with other levels of mercury (preferably wild caught)
  • no hot dogs
  • no raw shellfish
  • liver
  • pate containing liver

This can be pretty much summarized to:

-Make sure all your protein is well-cooked

-Don't eat fish or pork at all, because you can't be sure if it's on the naughty list or not. So, just avoid it for the duration when eating away from home. (By the way, they serve turkey sausage on the ships; it's good!)

-No alcohol, and only caffeine-free drinks.

-Liver pate is not a common dish anywhere, so that's easy to remember. You'd have to specifically order this one, which you won't.

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who have cruised while pregnant or accompanied someone who cruised while pregnant, were you able to let the staff know and have them recommend dishes that meet recommended guidelines? I'm wondering if I'm going to have to pick apart the ingredients of each dish and ask the server separately about everything or if they'd point out which dishes were safe like they might for someone who was gluten free.

This is my first pregnancy and it was a hard one to come by at that, so I may be erring on extra cautious. That being said, there's so many things they tell pregnant women to avoid these days, and I didn't realize how much of it was in some of the foods I might regularly eat.

Here's just a few of the things that I can think of off the top of my head. Typically, I end up having to look up certain things if I'm not sure.

• No sushi
  • no booze
  • caffeine <200mg/day
  • no lunch meat
  • no raw egg
  • no unpasteurized milk
  • no cheese made with unpasteurized milk
  • no unpasteurized juice
  • no bacon with nitrates
  • no sausage with nitrates
  • no raw meat
  • no meat that isn't well done
  • no fish with high mercury content
  • limited fish with other levels of mercury (preferably wild caught)
  • no hot dogs
  • no raw shellfish
  • liver
  • pate containing liver

I also think you'll easily be able to avoid those foods without getting a special menu but you should print out the above list. Make at least 3 copies. Give one to the Maitre D' the first day and keep one copy on you. (And the third is a spare "just in case")

No need to mention pregnancy - you just need to say this is a medically prescribed diet.

The minute you mention pregnancy you will get all of the opinions and contrary advice you've gotten on here.

It's really no one's business why you can't eat those foods.

If you just say "medically prescribed" no one will be able to contradict.

In this specific situation given all the concerns with your very special forthcoming baby why did you choose a cruise for your holiday?

There must have been a less stressful alternative holiday you could have taken that would have made it easier for you. Of course only you you know how you feel and there has been some excellent advise posted on this topic. Evidently the safety of your baby is paramount to you so either postpone your cruise and stay at home at home or take a common sense approach outlined in the advice on this topic and have a RELAXING cruise.

All the best for the new arrival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The minute you mention pregnancy you will get all of the opinions and contrary advice you've gotten on here.

Good point! I didn't realize how controversial this topic would have been when I posted it. It seems that everyone has a strong opinion ranging from "do whatever you want, you'll be fine" to "cancel your cruise." :confused: LOL!

In this specific situation given all the concerns with your very special forthcoming baby why did you choose a cruise for your holiday?

There must have been a less stressful alternative holiday you could have taken that would have made it easier for you. Of course only you you know how you feel and there has been some excellent advise posted on this topic. Evidently the safety of your baby is paramount to you so either postpone your cruise and stay at home at home or take a common sense approach outlined in the advice on this topic and have a RELAXING cruise.

All the best for the new arrival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

See post #109. She clearly states she found out she was pregnant after final payment. This means that if she postpones she loses the price of the cruise.

Many, many before have been Mommies to Be. They are not Doctors as some have demanded they need to be to post here with an experience level commensurate with a knowledge to be able to speak from.

There are more ladies here with experience levels that range from grandmothers down to to new mothers who encompass an experience level that can speak with authority about the intent to have the end result be a healthy borne child.

Yes there is food and drink to avoid. With food additives and preservatives it's even easier to avoid certain foods in day to day life no matter who you are, male or female.

IMHO, if because of pregnancy food choices are being evaluated, that is a good thing. Many mommies to be look at food choices as a step up to a healthy lifestyle in their family planning and many manage a healthy lifestyle prior to pregnancy to be responsible for a baby to be. Not as a result of a pregnancy and or after the fact.

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who have cruised while pregnant or accompanied someone who cruised while pregnant, were you able to let the staff know and have them recommend dishes that meet recommended guidelines? I'm wondering if I'm going to have to pick apart the ingredients of each dish and ask the server separately about everything or if they'd point out which dishes were safe like they might for someone who was gluten free.

i am afraid that you have me at a total loss and to be sure I did not miss something here I just checked with both my DH and my daughter both RN's. My daughter often works with pregnant women and has 2 children herself. Unless you are served raw food or raw seafood there is no such thing as a "pregnant" diet. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, and raw food. And that will cover it. Take the vitamins and Folic Acid your Dr. Gave you and you will be OK!

i am afraid that you have me at a total loss and to be sure I did not miss something here I just checked with both my DH and my daughter both RN's. My daughter often works with pregnant women and has 2 children herself. Unless you are served raw food or raw seafood there is no such thing as a "pregnant" diet. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, and raw food. And that will cover it. Take the vitamins and Folic Acid your Dr. Gave you and you will be OK!

RN isn't a doctor. My wife and many, many, many of her friends have all been given a list of similar restricted diets by their doctor.

I amazed this thread continues and amazed people continue to doubt what OP doctor is telling her.

RN isn't a doctor.

And yet in actuality, most doctors receive little to no formal training in nutrition, let alone how to specifically address the dietary needs of people with this issue or that one, this condition or that one, this food intolerance/allergy or that one........