Privacy Question...

ardeur

Is it possible to somehow call in to the cruise line to inquire which cruise a specific person is booked for?

We're hoping to keep our information private so certain people won't be stalking us on our cruise vacation. They've "threatened" to call in and see what cruise we're booked for (after we refused to tell them), but we're hoping this is not possible.

The persons in question had previously "stalked" us on our honeymoon by calling the hotel and getting the staff to tell them which room we were staying in. We're hoping to avoid any possible repeat of that scenario.

Is it possible to somehow call in to the cruise line to inquire which cruise a specific person is booked for?

We're hoping to keep our information private so certain people won't be stalking us on our cruise vacation. They've "threatened" to call in and see what cruise we're booked for (after we refused to tell them), but we're hoping this is not possible.

The persons in question had previously "stalked" us on our honeymoon by calling the hotel and getting the staff to tell them which room we were staying in. We're hoping to avoid any possible repeat of that scenario.

No problem with the question and no issue. HAL will not give out any info unless you want them to. People need your booking number, etc.

The one exception I saw was our tablemates were trying to reach us after the cruise and lost our email HOWEVER HAL did not give out any info.

Instead, we got an email from HAL with xxx@.com would like you to email them - here is the message - we could reply or not - they never got our email address - of course, we replied.

In any case, from everything I know about HAL privacy is paramount and you have no worries.

and welcome to cruise critic and the HAL boards:)

HAL won't tell them so about the only other thing they could do, and only if you leave the information around, is for them to break into your on line booking. Without a certain amount of information from you it would take some pretty significant hacking skills so very doubtful.

I'm so sorry that you have had to experience something like this.

As Kazu already stated--I think you should be okay, but if I were you I'd also call HAL and ask them specifically not to give out any information about you. Get them to document your request in your personal info so that if the person stalking you does call in, the HAL rep will be even more guarded about protecting your information. I'd also ask them to call or email you if someone does call in asking about your reservation. Hopefully their reservation system is capable of doing this for you.

Good luck.

Nancy

HAL absolutely will not release any information regarding their guests either at Seattle office or on the ships. If you wish to find a fellow guest while on a ship, the best they will do is take a note from you and promise to have it delivered to those people IF they are able to find them on manifest. They won't confirm the names are on the manifest.

......just guard your booking number and other travel details carefully. If you don't reveal them, either intentionally or accidentally, you should be fine. HAL will not release your booking details to strange inquiries.

Hope it works out well and you have a great time. That sort of stress is not good.

No problem with the question and no issue. HAL will not give out any info unless you want them to. People need your booking number, etc.

The one exception I saw was our tablemates were trying to reach us after the cruise and lost our email HOWEVER HAL did not give out any info.

Instead, we got an email from HAL with xxx@.com would like you to email them - here is the message - we could reply or not - they never got our email address - of course, we replied.

In any case, from everything I know about HAL privacy is paramount and you have no worries.

and welcome to cruise critic and the HAL boards:)

I'm impressed HAL went to the trouble to do that. I would expect they would not give out any info about you but it's great they sent you the message to deal with as you chose. :)

That is 'the extra mile'. IMO

HAL absolutely will not release any information regarding their guests either at Seattle office or on the ships. If you wish to find a fellow guest while on a ship, the best they will do is take a note from you and promise to have it delivered to those people IF they are able to find them on manifest. They won't confirm the names are on the manifest.

That hasn't been my experience. I met a couple while embarking a few years ago. I didn't really care for her so I didn't give them much info. She knew my name was Lorene and since it's somewhat uncommon she went to the front desk to try and find me. They showed them my picture and gave them my cabin number. That was totally unprofessional IMO. It wasn't a huge deal but if I had issues with them it wouldn't have been cool.

That hasn't been my experience. I met a couple while embarking a few years ago. I didn't really care for her so I didn't give them much info. She knew my name was Lorene and since it's somewhat uncommon she went to the front desk to try and find me. They showed them my picture and gave them my cabin number. That was totally unprofessional IMO. It wasn't a huge deal but if I had issues with them it wouldn't have been cool.

Whoever did that should be fired.

Did you ever let a supervisor or someone in Seattle office know that happened? They would not look kindly on that nor would I. I'd be very upset.

Whoever did that should be fired.

Did you ever let a supervisor or someone in Seattle office know that happened? They would not look kindly on that nor would I. I'd be very upset.

To be honest at the time I didn't see it as a big deal. Now, thinking back it upsets me. I'm much more concerned about my privicy now because there are too many people with too much time on their hands. If something like that ever happens again you can bet I won't be happy. I assume the front desk was just being helpful but that is not right.

Thank you! This puts my mind at ease.

On PRINCESS, not HAL, I was able to find out a friend's sailing date and ship by calling with her name and approximate itinerary, and the ship I thought she was going on. I was ordering a bon voyage gift, so didn't need the info the rep volunteered :eek: She was just being helpful, I know, but she told me their sail date, the ship, AND the cabin #.

I would expect that HAL's phone reps are no better trained on privacy and security issues.

As PrincessNancy suggested, call HAL. Get a supervisor and get a BIG notation put on your reservation.

Well, that's downright creepy!

well, you could let it slip that you are on the Westerdam rm #### and get on the Oosterdam.:rolleyes:

Probably the best thing to do.

I agree it would be a good idea to have HAL put a note in your file that no information should be provided to anyone other than you. Maybe request a code word that the stalkers will not know be required before information is released over the phone and make sure they cannot guess your login password to cover on line information leaks.

If I were worried about it, I'd call HAL pretending to be those people, with whatever information they have on you, and try to find out what you can. If HAL refuses to divulge information about the real-you to your pretend identity, you can relax. (And I'm willing to bet they won't tell you anything.)

Who ARE these stalkers and why would they even know you are planning a vacation?

I am guessing relatives, perhaps overly intrusive inlaws?

Otherwise hard to understand why someone who stalked you on your honeymoon would still have access to information about your activities. If it is friends who think they are being cute by tracking you down, you need to de-friend them. If it is a boss, go to Human Resources and file a harassment complaint if it happens again.

I'm impressed HAL went to the trouble to do that. I would expect they would not give out any info about you but it's great they sent you the message to deal with as you chose. :)

That is 'the extra mile'. IMO

I was grateful as she had gone into an insulin problem on the last night. We were all very worried about her and the waiter had their meals sent to their room. I saw her husband in the morning and he said she should be ok but it was nice to get their email confirming all was well.:D

Apparently they were told by the front desk that this is standard operating procedure. He just had to email HAL with my sailing date (they knew our room number) and names and HAL would forward the email.

very nice - no breech of privacy and I still got the message:D

HAL won't tell them so about the only other thing they could do, and only if you leave the information around, is for them to break into your on line booking. Without a certain amount of information from you it would take some pretty significant hacking skills so very doubtful.

Heck, I know my booking info. & have a difficult enough time getting onto the HAL site - GRUMBLE.

Given the state of today's FD and on-line service, it's my feeling you never know what some clerk will do. I would do everything advised here and hope for the best. Also, obviously, I would not go on the "meet & greet" board where you meet who's sailing with you.

Thank goodness we don't have to "hide" from anybody. :) There are only five of us in the whole world and I can't think of any friends who would want bother us. Heck, our best friends are actually cruising with us in the adjoining cabin. Now if any of you want to give us a spa treatment out of the goodness of your hearts then I'll be more than glad to arrange for you to get our information. :D

Given the state of today's FD and on-line service, it's my feeling you never know what some clerk will do. I would do everything advised here and hope for the best. Also, obviously, I would not go on the "meet & greet" board where you meet who's sailing with you.

I give up......

What does "FD" stand for? :confused:

Some fo these abbreviations stump me. :o

i agree with all the previous posters about HAL not giving out your personal info. Even when you have this for others, it can be hard to make any progress I set up a M&G for our Panama canal cruise and one of our shipmates offered his penthouse cabin as the location (!!). I had his name and booking number, maybe his phone number, and HAL was still reluctant to talk with me. We worked it out and he took over the contact, but it was still harder than we thought it would be.

As a side note, since when onboard our cabins are treated as a hotel, they should not be giving out cabin numbers. Several years ago, this was more common, but as legal cases have worked their way through the courts (at least in the US), it has become a standard security practice to not give out cabin/room numbers (for a hotel). in fact, you may have noticed that when you check into a (good) hotel, they write your room number down on something. If they actually say it out loud for anyone to hear, you should call them on it. Ask to talk to the manager or go to your room (or a house phone) and ask to have a new room assigned. This may be especially important if you are travelling alone. No reason for anyone to know your room number, unless you tell them.

ML

Archived