What special touches do you want in your cabin?

melissa@cruisecritic

If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:  

4,773 members have voted

1. 1. If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:

• Cotton balls, emory boards, Q-tips
    • Handheld steamer
    • Bathrooms with dual sinks
    • Real plants
    • In-cabin coffeemakers
    • Aromatherapy steam showers
    • Hair dryer menu
    • Adjustable lighting with dimmers
    • Key card storage shelf in entryway
    • iPod docking station

It's a truism in the cruise industry that most ship designers are men. It's another fact that women are generally the primary decision makers when it comes to booking a vacation. So in an effort to build a ship that appeals to females, Celebrity -- which is building the highly anticipated new Solstice -- created an advisory panel of women to, er, help its male designers create a cabin that addresses female preferences (read our report for the details).

In the spirit of nurturing the feminine sides of all of us (guys, too), we want to know: If you were creating the cruise ship cabin (let's make it standard with a verandah), what essential features or design concepts would you most want? The above list was compiled by a group of four women at Cruise Critic; you can vote for as many (or few) of our picks as you want. Some of them are serious -- we mean business -- and others are pie-in-sky wish lists!

Please note: In a couple of cases, a suggestion is already available on a limited basis (such as in-cabin coffeemakers -- European lines often have them and, of the North American cruise lines, NCL is an early adopter). We still include them because good ideas should be spread around.

And please feel free to offer your own suggestions in this thread!

I wonder if the lack of clocks is because some cruises cross time zones? How would they make sure everyone had the correct time? Would it be the room steward's job to switch the clock?

Just think, if there was a clock in the room, and people didn't change the time, they would be blaming the cruiseline because they missed their shore excursion, dinner, shows, etc. I think that is why the cruiselines leave it up to you to check the time. They don't want to deal with the hassle unless it's say, on the TV where they can control the setting.

Just a thought, but I don't work for a cruiseline so I really don't know! :)

DH and I do not book suites, usually go for inside cabin. Lack of space in the bathrooms is a pet peeve. Some ships have no storage space, other than what the stewards use for storing towels. We need space to hang towels and to stow our non-hanging supplies. Even the corner cabinets with doors help. Doesn't have to be fancy, just available. And I did vote for the double sinks. I'd rather have that than a tub, thanks.

Sure hope the ship designers take some of the suggestions to heart. It's hard to be in cramped quarters for the longer cruises.

Thanks for gathering the opinions! :):):)

I wonder if the lack of clocks is because some cruises cross time zones? How would they make sure everyone had the correct time? Would it be the room steward's job to switch the clock?

Just think, if there was a clock in the room, and people didn't change the time, they would be blaming the cruiseline because they missed their shore excursion, dinner, shows, etc. I think that is why the cruiselines leave it up to you to check the time. They don't want to deal with the hassle unless it's say, on the TV where they can control the setting.

Just a thought, but I don't work for a cruiseline so I really don't know! :)

i was in a hotel and daylight savings started earlier this year, or ended later...whatever...the clock was wrong and i couldn't figure out how to change it....eventually it changed itself...there are some clocks and watches that are "smart"...maybe that is what they could have...

i was in a hotel and daylight savings started earlier this year, or ended later...whatever...the clock was wrong and i couldn't figure out how to change it....eventually it changed itself...there are some clocks and watches that are "smart"...maybe that is what they could have...

Funny, I used to travel a lot for business and youth soccer, and I always took my own travel clock. Why? Because I didn't want to have to worry about figuring out how the clock in the hotel room worked, or worry about setting it wrong and missing my wake-up time. I have one of those Oregon Scientific flat travel clocks that lights up when you push it. It costs like $10. I can't imagine why anyone who travels a lot would care about the cabin providing a clock.

I could not vote for most of the things because having never heard of them, I had no idea what they were. I would think a clock in every cabin would be a help and a laundry on every deck. It is hard to travel for a longer cruise and not be able to wash your clothes. Having to send things out with your room steward only adds unneeded cost to the trip, when if there were laundries on every floor, you could do it yourself. Plenty of storage is important to me for clothes, shoes etc. and little hooks in your cabin room to hang a clothes line that will be used for drying hand wash.

there are some clocks and watches that are "smart"...maybe that is what they could have...

Except that might not work on a ship that does not change ship time to be the same as port time.

I know a lot of people get in trouble because they use their cell phones for clocks - and then when the ship sails into the new time zone, their cell phones change time, but the ship doesn't.

Funny, I used to travel a lot for business and youth soccer, and I always took my own travel clock. Why? Because I didn't want to have to worry about figuring out how the clock in the hotel room worked, or worry about setting it wrong and missing my wake-up time. I have one of those Oregon Scientific flat travel clocks that lights up when you push it. It costs like $10. I can't imagine why anyone who travels a lot would care about the cabin providing a clock.

When I cruise, I do travel with a travel clock, however it would be nice to have a clock in the room as well. If I am traveling on land, I don't worry about bringing it, I can always figure out how the clock works. I can understand how the time change would make having a clock difficult, it would just be a nice thing, maybe have a screen saver on the TV that shows just the time, not to bright for the night, but enough so you can see it......

It's a truism in the cruise industry that most ship designers are men. It's another fact that women are generally the primary decision makers when it comes to booking a vacation. So in an effort to build a ship that appeals to females, Celebrity -- which is building the highly anticipated new Solstice -- created an advisory panel of women to, er, help its male designers create a cabin that addresses female preferences (read our report for the details).

In the spirit of nurturing the feminine sides of all of us (guys, too), we want to know: If you were creating the cruise ship cabin (let's make it standard with a verandah), what essential features or design concepts would you most want? The above list was compiled by a group of four women at Cruise Critic; you can vote for as many (or few) of our picks as you want. Some of them are serious -- we mean business -- and others are pie-in-sky wish lists!

Please note: In a couple of cases, a suggestion is already available on a limited basis (such as in-cabin coffeemakers -- European lines often have them and, of the North American cruise lines, NCL is an early adopter). We still include them because good ideas should be spread around.

And please feel free to offer your own suggestions in this thread!

I just watched the end of a show about the making of the Freedom of the Seas and the designer was a women.

I vote for real beds, mattress with box spring. We just finished a cruise on American Star by American Cruise Lines and the beds were great! The bathroom was rectangle shape, not square shaped so it gave you more room.

The refrigerator in the cabin is also a great plus. Laundramats on ships would be good too. I know Princess has them and a few NCL too. NCL just doesn't show them on the deck plans.

I only voted for the hand held steamer. I end up running the shower on hot, hanging my clothes in the bathroom & creating a "steam room"

Most lighting at the desk is too dim and often that's where the hair dryer is located. I love a wall-mounted, extendable magnifying make-up mirror, but have only seen them in a HAL suite.

My biggest pet peeve in cabin configuration......oceanviews with the head of the bed positioned under the window! I envision people kneeling on their pillows for a look see. Put the bed on the wall and have a chair or 2 by the window. Don't care much for the verandah cabin configuration shown on the CC Home Page today. The bed is closest to the window/verandah door and the sofa is on other side of room?

Martha

I like the idea of the glass showers (a bit larger than the standard ones, of course) and the double bathroom sinks. I'd also like to see some sort of storage organizer on the bathroom door.

I totally agree about MUCH brighter lighting over the desk for make-up, hair and computer use. More plugs at the desk or a power strip is a must.

More hangers in the closet (without having to ask) and a shoe rack on the door backs would be a nice plus. Love the in-room steamer idea and more laundries would be teriffic.

Drawers are great and lots of hooks are appreciated too.

And most importantly, please make the cabins a little larger! (Especially a couple of feet wider, please :)

Macy

Archived