Packing in Carry on Only

jenn6743

I am treading in new water... I want to pack for a 8 night cruise in just 1 carry on bag. :eek: I am normally the person that has two full size bags and two carry ones, and that is just for my self. I want to travel light this time, and not have to deal with all the stuff. Does anyone have any tips or trick to help.... Ive been youtubing, and found some great tips, but you guys sometimes come up with things most people would never think about.

Thanks Jenn

I have not checked luggage in years for either flying or cruises!! On a cruise my husband and I each take 1 rolling bag + either a backpack or large tote.

The main thing is to color coordinate your wardrobe so you don't need too many pairs of shoes. They take up more space. I pack my clothing in the luggage and can easily take enough for 10 days-2 weeks without having to do laundry. My cosmetics/meds may fit in the luggage and if they don't they go in the tote/backpack.

Good luck!!

Packing in a carry on only takes some careful planning, but it is totally possible. Time of year and planned excursions will greatly influence what you pack. And some tips/pointers would be specific to your plans, so maybe you could share your plans a bit, when and where?

Some general things though...being able to mix and match is key. You need almost every top to go with almost every bottom.

You should be willing to at least rewear your bottoms. For my last cruise, I had two bottoms (both capris)...dark chocolate brown and a light tan. I kept these for evening wear only and wore multiple times as necessary. For daywear, I wore the same pair of shorts multiple times.

You might think about wearing the same dress more than once. Wear the dress to the dining room...wear the dress again during the day.

I found the hardest thing to limit was shoes...but this can also take the greatest room in your suitcase depending on style and needs.

Also, toiletries are difficult. Having travel sizes and caring the bare necessities here is where you can really help conserve precious packing space.

I would love to do that, but I just about had a panic attack reading your post! It takes a ton of effort for me to pack light in one large suitcase! In fact, I'm stressing bc my friends and I are wanting to travel together to the port and not take 2 cars so I am seriously going to have to control my packing this time, Eeek! I dream of being that person that could just take a carry on!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

onebag.com is a great site HOW to pack but not so much what to pack.

check out ladylighttravel.com and ricksteves.com for ideas what to take and leave home. Search the Fashion and Beauty Board for more threads about this.

It's all mindset. Need to know that you will be wearing things more than once and doing laundry. Use Febreeze:p

Mix and match two bottoms and four tops is eight outfits. The Vivienne Files has great color combos (google it)

Rethink your shoes and formal night wear. Mom's trick has been wearing a black neoprene slide, adding a black sock to wear on formal nights under her black slacks. (Age does have it's priviledges;)) The same outfit can be worn both nights.

Rethink your beauty routine and medicines. Simplify your beauty routine. Repackage and decant almost everything. Do not take full size bottles unless absolutely necessary (hairspray). I repurpose contact lens cases and eye drop bottles for many things.

Also, backpacking/camping stores (REI, BassPro) sell smaller bottles. Don't pack 3oz when 1oz will do.

At home take some time and test out different sizes of things. For us a tube of toothpaste will last 14 uses, hairgel lasts 10 uses for one side of a contact lens case and I can get 42 uses of Argan oil from a 10ml dropper. Take meds ot of their packaging. Use blister packs and cut out the directions. Dramamine bottles work great for loose pills, easier to label than a pillbox.

Edited by SadieN

We do this, one carryon size and one backpack each. I fit my clothes very tightly (usually roll them) and every little nook and cranny is packed. Socks and belts fit inside hubby's dress shoes. I wear my tennis shoes on the trip there, so that really doesn't take up much space.

Just take into consideration before you pack it, does it take a lot of space or little space? I take one lightweight sweater which will match everything. Take small quantities of toiletries.

I think it's so much better this way. I look at people arriving or departing from the ship with enough luggage that it appears they have taken everything they own. :eek:

Wear your walking shoes and only pack 1 or 2 other (small and comfortable) pair. As mentioned above mix and match is the way to go. Wear clothes multiple times, nobody else cares and even if they do, you don't know them. If you don't get free laundry, take advantage of the bag special and have them wash your clothes half way thru the cruise so you only have to take half the clothes. There is a robe provided in your room so don't pack one.

When space was at a premium we put underwear, swimwear, nightwear, socks and other stuff we don't mind wrinkling in vacuum bags, it is amazing how small you can make them. Pack by rolling your clothes and steam the wrinkles out when you unpack. Rather than buy new clothes we take old clothes and throw them away.

Buy travel size toiletries.

We just got back from an 8-day trip to Florida. The hubs and I each had a backpack (not huge, either) and a smaller bag. BUT, we were traveling to warm weather, knew there would be iron and ironing board in the room, and had no plans of dressing up. I would be hard-pressed to do the same for a cruise. It would be easier if we were planned to forego formal nights (which we don't), and it's nearly impossible if we're traveling to a cool-weather climate.

I know some do, but it stresses me out to try.

I feel the pain. I used to pack way too much and brought things back I didn't wear. Now I first think of my destination and ports and excursions. I say this cause I often use a takini top and bottom with a pair of shorts and if we are doing snorkeling, swimming, even exploring around the Caribbean port this type of outfit works well.

Definitely pack shampoos, conditioners etc. in small travel containers.

Pack efficiently. i.e. don't face all blouses and tops the same way(such as collars or to the top) alternate them for a flatter more evenly distributed space.

Fit things in other things. Socks and brushes in shoes. Roll up things that don't wrinkle such as t-shirts, underwear, and other materials that don't wrinkle. Rolled up stuff fits great in left over spaces.

You can do it.

Packing in a carry on is really easy to do it what you want to give up is the hardest part. I have done both but settled back on one checked luggage a carry on. After a carry on only I discovered I liked to get dressed up and participate in formal nights. Packing a suit in a carry on was just too much. I rented a tux but for the price of a tux I could have just as easily had a checked bag. I also like to bring home bottles with liquid in them and that is not possible in a carry on, unless you check it.

Cruising is popular because not everyone thinks alike. If one bag make you happy go for it.

Shak

My upcoming cruise I will be doing this as well. Tired of lugging items that were either unnecessary or just plain foolish. My first cruise I followed all the "helpful" tips posted and brought a dry erase board, bungees, over the door shoe rack, radios, alarm clock, and so many other things people said would make my trip easier. I felt like I needed a pack mule and a sherpa to help me board. Many if not all of those items went unused. I learned to scale back and not act like I were leaving home forever. If something was missing, every port had a store I could get it. If not, I did without.Cruising became far more relaxed at this point. And God forbid if someone saw me wearing the same outfit twice I learned to say "Who cares". They did not pay my fare, and I will most likely never see them after the week ended.Travelling light is so much more pleasurable, and I will never go back to my old ways.

I can do 4 days in a carry on. Lightweight fabrics, wear things many times, send things out to be cleaned, and make sure EVERYthing matches. Wear a skirt to dinner one evening, then onshore a couple of other days. You know the drill.

I think the biggest challenge is mental - knowing that you'll be wearing things more than once & someone may dare to 'notice'. Of course, it doesn't matter if they do!

Today I purchused packing cubes for my clothing and rolled them into neat little balls, and I was able to fit all my clothing in about half of one side of my carry on which was an accomplishment!!!! I went though my clothes and chose things I could mix and match for day and night which worked well. I packed 4 pairs of shorts that I can wear with multiple things... This might not be as bad as I though....I just need to find out if the hair dryers on the Breeze is full size... My dryer takes up so much room, but the travel sizes tend to eat my hair. My husband normally ends up cutting my hair out of them.

I love my packing cubes. The only thing is if you need to go straight to the ship how do you pack your sunscreen? I really think that would be my deal breaker.

Well for me my husband has not embraced my carry on idea... so its going in his bag

I love my packing cubes. The only thing is if you need to go straight to the ship how do you pack your sunscreen? I really think that would be my deal breaker.

Avon has a sunscreen in a 3 oz. size container (says for face, but works for body as well, obvs.) Not terribly expensive, either. The hubs has little to nothing in his quart baggie, and we could fit 3 of those tubes in his bag. Might have even been able to fit 4.

I am treading in new water... I want to pack for a 8 night cruise in just 1 carry on bag. :eek: I am normally the person that has two full size bags and two carry ones, and that is just for my self. I want to travel light this time, and not have to deal with all the stuff. Does anyone have any tips or trick to help.... Ive been youtubing, and found some great tips, but you guys sometimes come up with things most people would never think about.

Thanks Jenn

Wow, you sound just like me. :D I have challenged myself to do carry-on only in November for our cruise. My game plan is neutral bottoms and pops of color in my tops and accessories. Also, everything has to go together. For example a shirt has to coordinate with every bottom. If it does not, then it's out. I am also limiting my workout clothes to two sets and hand washing them after each workout. My packing method is a combination of bundling and rolling.

I am bringing my rolling carryon and a back pack. The back pack will only have electronics and beauty supplies. I did a trial run of this on our trip to Niagara Falls and it worked out well. Well, until I saw an outlet mall and went crazy with shopping. :eek:

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Lisa

packing cubes? Never used them. Careful packing, planning and coordinating of what clothes to bring. Tops and bottoms can go with at least 2 items. So - mix-n-match.

14-day cruise, 2 days drive each way. Computer bag, back pack, purse, carry-on suitcase. And, I'm not a small person ;)

Wait, so that's four bags for one person? Bf and I share a carry on and then we have a backpack each. This works for us for 2 weeks.

The biggest space takers are his boots and the electronics. Can't really squish those down. I have learned not to take too many beauty products. I've found teeny tiny containers at japanese house ware stores that are 1 oz. Put in beauty products in there. Or you can always get sample sizes at Sephora.

Also I only bring 3 pairs of shoes. Sneaker which I wear on the plane, my Puma flats with double as water shoes, and a pair of heels. And no more 4 or 5" platform ones. Takes up too much room. This time I wasn't even going to bring heels but I refound some heels in the back of my closet. A second hand shop find Gucci bamboo stillettos w fabric straps so they can be squished down. Last time I brought platforms and we still got everything to fit in our shared carry on.