Hair product recommendation for hot/humid weather

snorkel4ever

Any recommendations from those in Florida /US for shampoo/hair products for hot/humid weather? My teenage daughter has long layered fine hair that frizzes and goes wild. She also has a tendency towards oily hair so trying to avoid layering of multiple products. No luck with products at home. Will be in Miami for few days prior to Caribbean cruise, so can pick up at CVS, Bayside or Publix. We live in very dry western Canada - so not much experience with this issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I live in the desert so I understand the hair challenges you face when going to miami. I have given up with dealing with my curly hair on cruises. I bought a few of those jeweled stretchy head bands and tend to just have a pony tail at night. The fancy headband makes it look a little dressier. But i'd be curious about product recommendations too. I usually use gel.

Any recommendations from those in Florida /US for shampoo/hair products for hot/humid weather? My teenage daughter has long layered fine hair that frizzes and goes wild. She also has a tendency towards oily hair so trying to avoid layering of multiple products. No luck with products at home. Will be in Miami for few days prior to Caribbean cruise, so can pick up at CVS, Bayside or Publix. We live in very dry western Canada - so not much experience with this issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Has she tried "Classic Clean " by Head and Shoulders . My DW has very curly hair , she finds that H&S works great for her . We live in Central BC and it's very dry here.

Edited by Kamloops50

If you are going during the summer months, I'd advise your daughter to just use a smoothing product and practice with styles at home that allow her to pull it up. My daughter has heavy, heavy, thick ,long ,wavy ,curly hair. It's gorgeous. But.... She has learned that the only way to keep it manageable in hot and humid weather is keeping it pulled back, up, braided... anything but trying to fight the curls.

Especially on the cruise, when you don't want to spend tons of time on your hair, I'd look for alternative styles.

I live in the desert so I understand the hair challenges you face when going to miami. I have given up with dealing with my curly hair on cruises. I bought a few of those jeweled stretchy head bands and tend to just have a pony tail at night. The fancy headband makes it look a little dressier. But i'd be curious about product recommendations too. I usually use gel.

The desert is completely different from Miami. The desert is a dry heat, here it is extremely humid.

To the OP, I get keratin treatments about three times a year (I know that doesn't help you) and use Chi Silk Infusion along with my Chi flatiron. When it is dry, I use bamboo oil (which you could just use on its own).

This keeps my long, curly, naturally frizzy hair smooth and straight.

• 2 weeks later...

Try joico smoothing balm. It's in a gold stand on lid type bottle. I do hair for a living and this is one of my fav products for frizzy or course hair. It had small golf flecks in it which adds extra shine to the hair. It never leaves the hair heavy or oily. Make sure to apply from mid shaft to ends and then roots and hairline. Good luck !

I have long hair that frizzes and waves in a bad way in the Florida humidity. I have found the following products to be life changing..

John Frieda Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner to start

Usually apply any deep conditioning mask regularly but here's the life changing best ever.. John Frieda 5 day Straight- you can get at any chain drug or department store..and a good flat iron, they are not all equal. Remington Frizzy Therapy Flat iron is about $30 and does a great job. Will need a flat iron protection spray.. and a ion hair dryer.. don't let hair air dry. Top with Loreal Paris Elnett Satin hair spray.

Try joico smoothing balm. It's in a gold stand on lid type bottle. I do hair for a living and this is one of my fav products for frizzy or course hair. It had small golf flecks in it which adds extra shine to the hair. It never leaves the hair heavy or oily. Make sure to apply from mid shaft to ends and then roots and hairline. Good luck !
Thanks!!

The desert is completely different from Miami. The desert is a dry heat, here it is extremely humid.

To the OP, I get keratin treatments about three times a year (I know that doesn't help you) and use Chi Silk Infusion along with my Chi flatiron. When it is dry, I use bamboo oil (which you could just use on its own).

This keeps my long, curly, naturally frizzy hair smooth and straight.

BlueHerons...I also do the Keratin treatment but my stylist told me to only use Keratin shampoo and conditioner. What type of shampoo do you use in between Keratin treatments? Thank you!

I second the Joico that was recommended. It's not cheap but it will work. Also sometimes you can get it at tj maxi and sometimes you can't. Same with the Chi. I would also recommend the chi that someone else recommended. It's a smoothing serum that you put in your hair before you blow it dry.

I also have this problem and usually when outside for the day I try to just not fight it until I come in and take a shower for dinner. I usually just pull it back and just deal with it that way. I just choose not to spend my time that way. But that's something that I didn't learn until I got older. Try telling a teenager that!!

BlueHerons...I also do the Keratin treatment but my stylist told me to only use Keratin shampoo and conditioner. What type of shampoo do you use in between Keratin treatments? Thank you!

I really don't shampoo my hair more than once a month because my multiple stylists have told me not too. When I do I use a non sulfate shampoo because sulfates are what break down the keratin.

My hair is pretty long so twice a week I get it wet and thoroughly condition it with a good non sulfate conditioner. Right now I'm using Chi.

I have dry, coarse, curly hair and the dirtier my hair is, the healthier it is.

Because I blow it dry straight, then flat iron the hell out of it, I must take very good care of my hair. Washing it more often would dry it out.