How windy is it?

Fighterone

Oh yeah, in April it's going to be VERY BRISK, unless you are VERY lucky with the weather, even on the pool deck.

REG170414.jpg

You'll get the most use of that Veranda when the ship is overnighting in port, and entering and/or leaving harbor when the ship is moving slowly....

OCEANIA-REGATTA-at-sea.jpg

Enjoy! :D

JimandStan is (or are) correct for that itinerary at that time of year. Maybe not the best cabin this time, but maybe okay. And, for sure, don't rule it out in the future.

We chose "bow cabin" 7000 aboard sister-ship Nautica for the cruise up and down the coast of Norway in 2015. Sailing into and out of the fjords was beyond perfect! Even on the open seas between one port and another, the wind wasn't bad. But then, it was August and seas were relatively calm.

We loved it so much, we'll be in 7000 on the upcoming Insignia cruise down the Chilean coast with their fjords, then around the cape and northward. Having the same view as the Captain is frankly thrilling!

Not to mention, watching the forward deck crew working the anchor winches during docking and sail-away is a treat. Gives a whole new perspective to what's happening in "the real world" while we are sipping coffee or cocktails and nibbling caviar.

The weather & seas can change

if you do not mind the motion of the ocean it might be a good cabin

We did this cruise in April & the seas were very bumpy from Nassau to Bermuda

cannot imagine being at the bow of the ship

Then we had a storm front come in so the Captain decided to stay in Bermuda an extra day & we missed Norfolk but I was glad to be safely tied up in Hamilton

Charleston was lovely although too hot & humid for me it looked like a quaint town/city

Edited by LHT28

This thread is only reinforcing my reasons for not booking the April 14 cruise to Bermuda and South Carolina. Even after 100+ cruises I do not do well if a ship starts to rock. I also am not overly fond of high humidity with heat. Booked a Caribbean cruise in early February instead. Although one can never predict weather, I think we have a better chance of a smoother cruise on the one we chose. I have to say Bermuda is is one of my very favorite places! We have always gotten very lucky cruising to Bermuda in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am presently in that region on Insignia... reality is the sea in that region crossing the gulf stream will experience mild swells and a bit of chop but no more than any other ocean really. All ships rolls and pitch and the sea is in constant motion...you cant cruise anywhere on a ship of any size and expect no motion. After crossing the Atlantic and Pacific in R ships I have never seen things get very bad

Second the ship sails at 18.5 kts normaly...abiut 22 mph and may add to the relative wind which averages around 5 to 18 kts.... So any cabin facing into the wind like the front/ vista suites area can expect 25 to 40 mph winds direct on them.

Getting a B1 or B2 on either side will be very nice

I am presently in that region on Insignia... reality is the sea in that region crossing the gulf stream will experience mild swells and a bit of chop but no more than any other ocean really. All ships rolls and pitch and the sea is in constant motion...you cant cruise anywhere on a ship of any size and expect no motion. After crossing the Atlantic and Pacific in R ships I have never seen things get very bad

Second the ship sails at 18.5 kts normaly...abiut 22 mph and may add to the relative wind which averages around 5 to 18 kts.... So any cabin facing into the wind like the front/ vista suites area can expect 25 to 40 mph winds direct on them.

Getting a B1 or B2 on either side will be very nice

I agree 100%! We were on Azamara Journey some years ago and friends were in one of those forward facing Vistas. They said that when the ship was underway, they couldn't even open the balcony doors!

See if you can get one of the side facing PH's or B's, imo.

Donna

We too had such horrible seas from Bermuda to Norfolk two years ago in April that it kept us from cruising until now. We were on the aft of the ship and can not imagine how it would have been in a Vista suite. We had similar very rough seas one time coming into Barcelona in a Vita suite and have never booked another one.

JimandStan is (or are) correct for that itinerary at that time of year. Maybe not the best cabin this time, but maybe okay. And, for sure, don't rule it out in the future.

We chose "bow cabin" 7000 aboard sister-ship Nautica for the cruise up and down the coast of Norway in 2015. Sailing into and out of the fjords was beyond perfect! Even on the open seas between one port and another, the wind wasn't bad. But then, it was August and seas were relatively calm.

We loved it so much, we'll be in 7000 on the upcoming Insignia cruise down the Chilean coast with their fjords, then around the cape and northward. Having the same view as the Captain is frankly thrilling!

Not to mention, watching the forward deck crew working the anchor winches during docking and sail-away is a treat. Gives a whole new perspective to what's happening in "the real world" while we are sipping coffee or cocktails and nibbling caviar.

Dr. H, would the view be better on deck 7 than on deck 6? Did you hear noises from the bridge in 7000?

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Dr. H, would the view be better on deck 7 than on deck 6? Did you hear noises from the bridge in 7000?

There is no noise from the bridge...at all.

Now, Dr Hemlock, Jim Stan and others are all experienced cruisers who have expressed their experiences. However, none can tell you what the ocean wind will do in the future. Neither can I, only God can.... and he dosent post here. The ocean and wind speed direction, sea currents change day to day and some times several times in one day. The only thing you can rely on is everyday will be a new experience....None of us can know with any security what your or our cruise may experience

All cabins facing forward will have, any time the ship moves away from the dock or anchorage will be generating 22+ mph of wind at the min and The ships captain, will to make his passage comfortable for all. will often put the ship on a course headed into the wind or 180 degrees off the wind. So part of a circumnavigation cruise 1/2 will be super windy of 35-40 MPH and on the return only 23 mph.... it never will totally let up. Now lets add a afternoon or evening rain squall which is common and we add rain to the fun

The the forward brunt of the wind makes it necessary to tie down any deck furniture

Doubt it....go out on your car, have some one drive, go 30 mph and stick you head out the window... go up to 45-50... If you like that..then book a foward facing wind tunnel....

The problem with noise does not com from the bridge but rather from the stage right below those on 6. They rehearse during the day and of course play at night. For us the thumping of the percussion was headache inducing.

The problem with noise does not com from the bridge but rather from the stage right below those on 6. They rehearse during the day and of course play at night. For us the thumping of the percussion was headache inducing.

We were in a Vista Suite on Deck 6 and you do hear the rehearsal, although it was not too bothersome. We were headed to Alaska with 2 days of rough seas from San Francisco. Loved the suite for the views and space but our next cruise is in the OS aft because being forward is a rough ride.

What is being talked about here is "Wind Apparent" , i.e. If the ship is steaming into a head wind at 20knots and the wind is 20 knots the "wind apparent " will be 40knots .

If the ship is steaming at 20knots and the wind is blowing in the same direction at 20 knots the wind "wind apparent " you will experience on deck is Zero,

As the wind backs and vere.s around the ship and its course the effect changes.

You need to look at the prevailing winds in the area of the cruise and see what the likely effects are , around the lower part of the UK forinstanse the prevailing winds are westerlies . So arriving from the Atlantic the wind will seem less , going out into the Atlantic more.

Look at the funnels , and see what way the exhaust is blowing relative to the ship, or if you smoke , light up!

Quoted wind speeds are normally calculated at a height above mean sea level of 500ft and will be slightly less on the deck of a ship.

Edited by S2000ap1

Is the railing solid in the front? Can you see forward while sitting on the balcony?

In the forward Vista Suites the railing is a white solid wall with a wood railing on top. Sitting down is difficult to see over. We moved the dining table in front of the window so we could sit there and enjoy the view. Ours was Alaska and chilly and windy, therefore we stayed inside most of the time.

The outdoor furniture was tied down majority of the time due to winds.