Amsterdam QUestions.

jolly_cruiser

Hello folks...I am planning on taking a Norway fjords cruise out of Amsterdam next June/July.

For this trip i am planning hotels in Amsterdam, 2 days pre cruise and 2 days post cruise.

I went through this forum and got some really good information. I have some specific questions though. I hope these can be answered by the knowledgeable and helpful people on these forums.

We are a family of 3 ( 2 adults and 1 child 7 years old ) and will have 3 big bags i expect on this cruise. Will be flying into Schiphol and take the Koningsdam from the cruise terminal.

1. What hotels would the people here recommend? For us ease of getting around from/to the airport, from/to the cruise terminal is critical.

2. We want to look for hotels in the city center close to Dam Square, Anne Frank house etc.

3. Based on my research on this thread - the ones i have come up with are Bnaks Mansion, Toren, Esterea, Doubletree and the Hilton Amsterdam.

4. I would like to stay within the 200 - 300 USD price range if possible.

5. Also general question - What is the best way for a family of 3 ( with one 7 year old ) to get to and from the airport and cruise terminal with bags.

6. Last question - What is the best way to get around town from hotel to the major attractions? is public transport convenient in Amsterdam?

Thanks in Advance.

We were in AMS in July and stayed @ Renaissance Amsterdam Marriott hotel which was close to Ann Frank and about 10 min. From the cruise dock. We walked everywhere. From the airport we booked a taxi on-line before leaving with Tinkertravel. We use them to & from the airport they were always on time.

We did several excellent tours w/thatdamguide you may want to check them out. If you are planning to visit Ann Frank buy your tickets on-line before leaving otherwise you'll be standing in line for hours.

Hello folks...I am planning on taking a Norway fjords cruise out of Amsterdam next June/July.

For this trip i am planning hotels in Amsterdam, 2 days pre cruise and 2 days post cruise.

I went through this forum and got some really good information. I have some specific questions though. I hope these can be answered by the knowledgeable and helpful people on these forums.

We are a family of 3 ( 2 adults and 1 child 7 years old ) and will have 3 big bags i expect on this cruise. Will be flying into Schiphol and take the Koningsdam from the cruise terminal.

1. What hotels would the people here recommend? For us ease of getting around from/to the airport, from/to the cruise terminal is critical.

2. We want to look for hotels in the city center close to Dam Square, Anne Frank house etc.

3. Based on my research on this thread - the ones i have come up with are Bnaks Mansion, Toren, Esterea, Doubletree and the Hilton Amsterdam.

4. I would like to stay within the 200 - 300 USD price range if possible.

5. Also general question - What is the best way for a family of 3 ( with one 7 year old ) to get to and from the airport and cruise terminal with bags.

6. Last question - What is the best way to get around town from hotel to the major attractions? is public transport convenient in Amsterdam?

Thanks in Advance.

We were in Amsterdam for six nights in August and stayed at the Banks. You can read my entire review by CLICKING HERE. There is quite a bit about the Banks which my bride and I agree is the best hotel we have ever stayed in and that includes some pretty impressive hotels around the world. There are photos as well. so now let me give you my opinion in answer to your questions:

1. Banks Mansion.

2. It's close to everything. Amsterdam is an immensely walkable city. A number of people on our Cruise Critic roll call stayed at the Movenpick near the port and complained that everywhere they wanted to go they had to take a cab. We stayed at the Banks and could walk everywhere. It's under a 20 minute walk from just about everything including all the museums, Anne Frank House, the harbor, the flower market and so many great restaurants (lots of recommendations in my review) your head will spin.

3. Banks Mansion

4. You will be able to. BTW: Did I mention that the Banks had the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in and that includes the very expensive bed I sleep in at home? It does. :)

5. If you go to the airport website and look for "Ground Transport" you can arrange a taxi to pick you up at the airport and take you right to the Banks. There is a link to the company we arranged ours through on the link I gave you above.

6. Walk. But yes, there is excellent transit (right outside the door of the Banks. If you get too tired, cabs and Uber are plentiful.

Can't tell you enough how much you will love Amsterdam.

Jim

We were in Amsterdam for six nights in August and stayed at the Banks. You can read my entire review by CLICKING HERE.

Loved your review !!!

We will be in Amsterdam for the first time in three weeks, unfortunately only for 2 nights.

The only thing we have pre-booked are out tickets to the Anne Frank Museum.

We are planning a canal cruise, not sure yet if we want to do day or night, but which company did you use so we will not take them?

Thanks

Loved your review !!!

We will be in Amsterdam for the first time in three weeks, unfortunately only for 2 nights.

The only thing we have pre-booked are out tickets to the Anne Frank Museum.

We are planning a canal cruise, not sure yet if we want to do day or night, but which company did you use so we will not take them?

Thanks

I am so glad I could help. Have an awesome cruise.

We took Lovers Canal Cruises. Just look at the pictures of the boats on their websites and make sure you get one that does not have tables but rather benches all headed in the same direction.

One thing you might consider is that there is a Hop-On Hop-Off bus tour that includes both bus and canal cruise. I have heard good things about them.

Jim

Edited by DrKoob

I am so glad I could help. Have an awesome cruise.

We took Lovers Canal Cruises. Just look at the pictures of the boats on their websites and make sure you get one that does not have tables but rather benches all headed in the same direction.

One thing you might consider is that there is a Hop-On Hop-Off bus tour that includes both bus and canal cruise. I have heard good things about them.

Jim

Thank you...will check out the HoHO

I have traveled to Amsterdam 3 times with my children ( the last time in July) . My favorite hotel and location was The Toren. Jordaan is very charming and nice to walk around and Anne Frank is very close. You can easily walk to Dam Square as well and the trip to the cruise terminal is fast and easy.

We had City Airport Taxis pick us up at the airport....reasonable price and punctual, no issues. We called a cab to take us to the cruise terminal. The staff at the Toren called for us and it was a breeze.

We took the tram and walked around the city ....it is very walkable and the tram is easy to use and close to the hotel. Our first visit was when our youngest was 5 and it is great city. Enjoy!

We were in AMS in July and stayed @ Renaissance Amsterdam Marriott hotel which was close to Ann Frank and about 10 min. From the cruise dock. We walked everywhere. From the airport we booked a taxi on-line before leaving with Tinkertravel. We use them to & from the airport they were always on time.

We did several excellent tours w/thatdamguide you may want to check them out. If you are planning to visit Ann Frank buy your tickets on-line before leaving otherwise you'll be standing in line for hours.

Thank you for your feedback.

Renaissance Amsterdam is one of my choices as well. Looks to be in a central location.

Thanks for your feedback on the airport taxis as well.

Edited by jolly_cruiser

I have traveled to Amsterdam 3 times with my children ( the last time in July) . My favorite hotel and location was The Toren. Jordaan is very charming and nice to walk around and Anne Frank is very close. You can easily walk to Dam Square as well and the trip to the cruise terminal is fast and easy.

We had City Airport Taxis pick us up at the airport....reasonable price and punctual, no issues. We called a cab to take us to the cruise terminal. The staff at the Toren called for us and it was a breeze.

We took the tram and walked around the city ....it is very walkable and the tram is easy to use and close to the hotel. Our first visit was when our youngest was 5 and it is great city. Enjoy!

Thank you. The Toren is very well reviewed. However it is already sold out for my dates...8 months in advance :)

We were in Amsterdam for six nights in August and stayed at the Banks. You can read my entire review by CLICKING HERE. There is quite a bit about the Banks which my bride and I agree is the best hotel we have ever stayed in and that includes some pretty impressive hotels around the world. There are photos as well. so now let me give you my opinion in answer to your questions:

1. Banks Mansion.

2. It's close to everything. Amsterdam is an immensely walkable city. A number of people on our Cruise Critic roll call stayed at the Movenpick near the port and complained that everywhere they wanted to go they had to take a cab. We stayed at the Banks and could walk everywhere. It's under a 20 minute walk from just about everything including all the museums, Anne Frank House, the harbor, the flower market and so many great restaurants (lots of recommendations in my review) your head will spin.

3. Banks Mansion

4. You will be able to. BTW: Did I mention that the Banks had the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in and that includes the very expensive bed I sleep in at home? It does. :)

5. If you go to the airport website and look for "Ground Transport" you can arrange a taxi to pick you up at the airport and take you right to the Banks. There is a link to the company we arranged ours through on the link I gave you above.

6. Walk. But yes, there is excellent transit (right outside the door of the Banks. If you get too tired, cabs and Uber are plentiful.

Can't tell you enough how much you will love Amsterdam.

Jim

Thank you for the detailed feedback and responses to all my questions. Your review was awesome :) Loved reading it. Will use your activity list as a base for my activities also.

Just a thought from a grandma who just booked a houseboat for one night on the canal in Jordaan neighborhood before our cruise in July...I was thinking it would be something my grandson would enjoy. You might want to check out airbnb or Homeaway.com for possibilities. Just read all the reviews.:)

We stayed at Hotel Estherea this past summer for three nights post cruise. Lovely, charming, boutique hotel...close to all sights. Bed linens were wonderful; bed comfortable, smallish room but that was to be expected, very nicely decorated, air conditioning worked great. We had a package that didn't include breakfast but that was ok...as we wanted to try local places for crepes. Complimentary cappuccino and candies in the lobby. The only issue we had with the room was the tub/shower. You had to step up fairly high to get into it and then of course, step down which was pretty slippery when getting out. No hand rails. What was really crazy was when standing in the tub for a shower, the tub was so narrow, your feet couldn't stand flat which made it very uncomfortable...and dangerous for balance. The shower head came out of the long part of the wall so you had to stand facing the long wall. Hard to do when your feet can't stand completely flat. Was particularly hard on my husband who is 6 foot 2 with a size 13 foot. I would imagine that all rooms are unique in design as most of these buildings are old and converted spaces. We must have been the lucky ones. We didn't ask to change...we just coped with it. L'Occitane products in the bathroom.

You will love Amsterdam...lots to see and do. Watch out for the bikes! They're everywhere.

another vote for Hotel Estherea.

Whenever there is a slippery tub surface, or high ledge to lift leg over the tub, I put down one of the hand towels in the tub itself (if it does not have a tub mat).

Love Amsterdam, so much to see and do, and the main points of interest are all walkable from most central hotels. Lots of nice day trips to take, from the train station : Haarlem, Delft, Zans Schanse, etc.

And one vote more for Estherea. We had a lovely three night stay there last October on our way home from Turkey and Morocco. I lived our elegant comfortable room and the staff was pleasant and helpful. We also passed on the breakfast package as we wanted to try some local spots. Our favorite was Pancakes Amsterdam -- yummy crepe like pancakes with slivers of apple and bacon. We walked everywhere and found the location quiet and convenient.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a river cruise that ended in Amsterdam and we had an overnight onboard.

Please please be careful of all the bikes...they have right of way and believe me they zip along, also scooters and small mopeds use the bike lanes too.

Never saw one in the hundreds we encountered wearing a helmet.

Just back from a river cruise that ended in Amsterdam and we had an overnight onboard.

Please please be careful of all the bikes...they have right of way and believe me they zip along, also scooters and small mopeds use the bike lanes too.

Never saw one in the hundreds we encountered wearing a helmet.

Drivers on scooters with a blue plate dont need a helmet. Oficialy they renot allowed to go faster then 30 kms per hour (many youngsters fixed their scooter and can go faster)and yes they use the bikepath. Drivers on a scooter with a yellow plate need helmets, they drive faster and use the roads not the bikepath.

in Amsterdam also be aware if trams, they go fast and have to keep their tracks of course. On some stretches cabs are allowed to use tramtracks, be aware if that too,

• 1 month later...

Yes, yet another vote for Hotel Estherea. Actually our room was quite large with twins plus a daybed. Wish I could recall the room number as it would be excellent for your family. The hotel was charming, authentic and very convenient. We ate breakfast in the lobby and it was excellent. As an alternative, you could walk to Cafe DeWang, which is also an iconic location offering great food.

• 1 month later...

We are cruising out of Amsterdam in July. We are arriving early morning and embarking that afternoon. I see how we can get into the city for some sightseeing from the airport, but does anyone have suggestions about what to do with luggage? Are there any lockers at the Central Station for storage? Thanks, Rusty

We are cruising out of Amsterdam in July. We are arriving early morning and embarking that afternoon. I see how we can get into the city for some sightseeing from the airport, but does anyone have suggestions about what to do with luggage? Are there any lockers at the Central Station for storage? Thanks, Rusty

Yes Centraal station has lockers

you could also drop your bags at the port around 9am it is a short walk or tram ride to the Central station area

sometimes the lockers are full

If taking the train from the airport & no lockers available just walk to the port & drop them off about a 10-15 min walk

you could also drop your bags at the port around 9am it is a short walk or tram ride to the Central station area

sometimes the lockers are full

If taking the train from the airport & no lockers available just walk to the port & drop them off about a 10-15 min walk

Thanks! Would rather drop them off at the port....where would they be stored?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! Would rather drop them off at the port....where would they be stored?

In the port building

i-j4DdrMR-M.jpg

Unless you are on a river cruise then it may not work as there is no building for them

You would drop them off just like you would if you were immediately boarding the ship. You'll next see your luggage in your cabin.

Mary Ellen - thanks...this is only our second cruise...they state that check in starts at 11:30, so I was assuming we wouldn't be able to drop anything off till then - does that sound right?