List of things to bring?

Krazy Kat Lady

Hello all! Newbie to both this forum and cruising. Leaving on Sunday for our first trip! So excited!!!

I was reading through a bunch of posts the other day and saw (what seemed to be) a great and very comprehensive list of things to bring on a cruise. Of course, now I can't find that post. There's no need for anyone to re type it all for me, but if someone might know where it is, could ya let me know please?

It was sorted out by medicines, clothing, toiletries, etc., and listed like "for your tummy, for your feet" - that fashion.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Watch out for comprehensive lists. Many of them have things that I wouldn't pack. We pack differently with more than two in a cabin. Of course, this does depend on the ship.

What do you pack when you travel anywhere else? It's not much different.

Pack for the weather and your activities. Decide if you're going to do laundry. We do at least one load a cruise.

Bring some OTC meds. What do you use at home? Imodium and sea sick meds are recommended.

How long will you be gone? We pack one way for a weekend cruise and another way for a longer cruise.

How are you getting there? Driving and flying are completely different. We take Los Angeles public transportation to Long Beach. We limit ourselves to a 22"/24" suitcase and a tote each.

We've sailed over 30 cruises and I'm still revising my list.

Fashion and Beauty board has lots of info.

Edited by SadieN

One thing that is a must in case of emergency is a small LED flashlight for each person. These are so cheap as to be almost free these days. If one has ever had to crawl on his belly down a smoke-filled corridor, one will understand the value of the flashlight.

Thanks all for your advice! I did find the original list, and since it is VERY comprehensive, I'm using it more as a reference. I'll pick out those things that apply to my hubby and I, and possibly a little additional "just-in-case" stuff. We leave in 6 days, and I'm just now putting together piles of things to be sure we take.

Doc F, the flashlight tho is something I'll be adding to our list, since I don't remember seeing it in other places.

I too have seen those lists and they go waaaaaay overboard (pun intended). Unless you are in a suite, space is very limited and a lot of that stuff is useless. We bring clothes, meds, toiletries, a camera, my e-reader and the necessary id's. That's it.

I have never found use for the over-the-door shoe holder, dry erase boards, duct tape, and peroxide. Sorry but that's just me. :p

No one has really answered your question so I ran a search for you this time (easily done using the "Search this forum" function back on the main page). Here are a few threads for you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986205&highlight=list

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2158088&highlight=list

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2125338&highlight=list

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2058465&highlight=list

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Me

\

My wife

My Paperwork

Any medications

My Camera

Some clothes

My Money

If I've got those nothing else really matters, and in that order.

I guess it depends on the person. To some people, sunglasses might matter. To those people who wear glasses or contacts, a spare pair might matter. I guess that you're lumping sunscreen in with your medications, because sunscreen does matter.

A cell phone would matter to those people who are being picked up by a car service after the cruise, so that they can tell the car service people where they are waiting.

If you locked your front door before you left home, a house key would matter. And you can't say that if you locked the front door, you automatically have the key with you, because some doors lock from the inside.

It really is personal / subjective. A must-have for one is a never-used-it for another.

I'm one that enjoys using the over-the-door organizer not so much because of a lack of space, but because of the ease of having everything easily sorted/visible.

I have very long hair, so I have a wide variety of hairsticks, claw clips, ponytail holders, bobbypins, etc. I also have multiple bottles of sunscreen (redhead = ghost-white complexion), sunglasses, spare sunglasses, prescription glasses, reading glasses, hairbrush, hand lotion, hairstyling potions, baby powder, lip balm, antiperspirant, and a variety of OTC medications.

I travel with my teenaged son, and he also has two pair of sunglasses, hair styling product, comb, antiperspirant, cologne, etc. I also usually bring some fun little things, like glow-sticks for the nightclub or a bottle of bubbles to blow up on deck.

Instead of having all those things in the various drawers and cabinets and trying to rummage through or remember which item is in which spot, everything is easily seen in the clear pockets, used as needed, and returned to its own designated spot.

This way, I can be putting my hair into an updo out at the desk/vanity area while my son is locked in the bathroom taking an unbelievably long, hot shower. If all my toiletries were in the bathroom cabinets, I wouldn't have access to those items until after my son was done with his shower.

And since everything is visible and always in the same place, my son doesn't have to ask me where the sunscreen is or go hunting for his sunglasses. He simply places his sunglasses in their designated pocket when entering the room and grabs them on his way out again. On any ship (or hotel), he can always find his items, and he always knows where to put his items so they don't get lost somewhere in the room.

Other people may not have these same issues, and may not have a need for the organizer. Some people already have their toiletries in a travel organizer, so the shoe organizer is redundant. Some people may not have as many odds and ends to keep track of. Some people may be fine keeping everything in the bathroom because they can come and go without restriction (married couples, etc.). Some people may have another system that works for them keeping things out on the desktop or hidden away in the drawers.

It just depends on what works best for YOU. My organizer works great for me, and it takes up no space in my luggage, so I continue to use it.

Create your own list.

We have been traveling since l982... both land and sea trips. I have a list, that I ref to every drip. It has some things I don't take on every trip but it is a good reminder of what I might need to think about.

On item we have on our list that may not be very common is a "small" flash light... does come in handy if the ship loses power - doe happen every once in awhile.

We are over packers, so try to cut back after we get things out to pack. Of course - when we started traveling, airplanes allow 70 lbs per suitecase .. now only 50 lbs... so we have made major adjustments, LOL.

Slowly, over time, I created my own list. It includes just about every article of clothing that's "cruise worthy", as well as other articles that may come in handy on any given cruise.

It's arranged by topic.

When I get something new, or get rid of something old, I adjust the list immediately, so it's always up to date.

For any given cruise I print out a copy, decide what to take on that particular cruise, and mark the article. As I pack, I check off the article, then toss the list in the suitcase.

When packing to come home, I cross off the articles as they are packed, so nothing is forgotten.

Do it this way helps me plan what should go in first, last, and in between. At least for me, it's a good system.

Your phone has a flashlight if you don't want to bring one.

True. The issue with this is that you may need to be holding your flashlight in your teeth when you need it in an emergency. Try that with your phone and see where the light shines.

Doc

Thank you to everyone who replied! There is definitely some great info from very smart, and experienced, travelers here.

As I mentioned before, I took note of everyone's lists and customized it to our needs. I am taking an over the door shoe organizer; whether we need it or not is tbd. It's small enough to toss in my suitcase, so it'll be there if we need it.

At this time tomorrow, we should be an hour into our cruise - I'm so friggin' excited!!!

Happy sailing to all!