Dress on Viking

royal65

We'll be on our first river cruise in August -- a Viking Russian river cruise. We're wondering how dressy the evenings are. The brochure suggests a couple of evenings are dressier than others. Will most of the men have jacket and ties, jackets and open neck shirts or no jacket at all? thanx

This is what Viking's website has to say:

"Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), trousers or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. There are no “formal nights” and recommended evening dress is “elegant casual” such as a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for ladies; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. Ties and jackets are optional. We suggest you pack comfortable walking shoes, dressier shoes, a collapsible umbrella/lightweight rain gear; items you can layer like lightweight jackets/sweaters; sunglasses, a sun hat/visor, sunscreen; and toiletries including a travel-sized hand sanitizer. Depending on the season and destination, you may also want to add a warm coat, gloves and water-resistant footwear. "

This is pretty much our experience. My husband didn't bring a sports jacket or tie but he did wear his nice button down shirts or better polo shirts at dinner and did just fine. I wore mostly plain black dress pants with either knit or silk tops and jewelry. Simple outfits really. Some people tend do go dressier; others more casual but I never noticed anyone who didn't look presentable in the evening.

Agreed. On our Danube waltz in April, a few gentlemen wore jackets on occasion but that may have been for warmth not style. As for the ladies, most tended to be a little dressier than their gentlemen but isn't that always the way?;)

I had taken a couple of dress shirts which DH and I wore for the Captain's special dinner but really didn't need to. One night we decided we didn't feel like changing at all so ate on the Aquavit Terrace in our shorts....come to think of it, I think on another occasion I saw gentlemen in the dining room with shorts.:eek:

People wore shorts/jeans all the time in the dining room (even on the special dinner nights) on our Viking cruise that we just got back from. Some dressed up every night which must have meant another huge suitcase for that! Any clothes will be fine - dress comfortable.

My husband always wore a collared polo shirt during the day and that evening for supper. A couple nights he changed into khakis but most nights kept his shorts on. I wore my capris and colored jeans with the same top I wore during the day (might add some jewelry) except for a couple nights when I wore dress pants with a nicer top. We fit in just fine. The people that dressed up were in the minority.

We just returned from Rhine River cruise and I noticed many people (women) changed their outfits for dinner. On the last night of the cruise they mentioned if you wanted to dress up this would be the night. We wore the same clothes to dinner everynight that we had worn during the day. Men wore shorts and jeans if that is what they had on. We felt like we fit in fine and could not fathom a second suitcase for fancy clothes when it is not needed at all!

People wore shorts/jeans all the time in the dining room (even on the special dinner nights) on our Viking cruise that we just got back from. Some dressed up every night which must have meant another huge suitcase for that! Any clothes will be fine - dress comfortable.

My husband always wore a collared polo shirt during the day and that evening for supper. A couple nights he changed into khakis but most nights kept his shorts on. I wore my capris and colored jeans with the same top I wore during the day (might add some jewelry) except for a couple nights when I wore dress pants with a nicer top. We fit in just fine. The people that dressed up were in the minority.

Shorts and jeans at dinner is just a tad too informal for me. I always like to change for dinner aboard. Another reason to stick to Uniworld.

Shorts and jeans at dinner is just a tad too informal for me. I always like to change for dinner aboard.

Agreed, unless there is a casual, al fresco option. Even last year when it was north of 100 degrees for our entire cruise on the Rhone, we did not consider wearing shorts to dinner in the dining room.

I personally have always changed for dinner while on Oceania, after a day of touring especially in the summer wouldn't consider going to dinner without showering and changing into something nicer!! To me that is being considerate of the others in the dining room. To me shorts and sandals should be verboten!!

Viking has no dress code either written or implied. At dinners, one may see people dressed in coats and ties ,or shorts and tee shirts, sometimes at the same table. Blue Jeans seem to abound at dinner for many. Even though I typically dressed for dinner on Viking, like I would on Oceania GDR or Specialties or on Uniworld cruises, is of little importance. There is absolutely NO Dress Code on Viking, so expectations of apparel should be geared in that manner.

Viking has no dress code either written or implied. At dinners, one may see people dressed in coats and ties ,or shorts and tee shirts, sometimes at the same table. Blue Jeans seem to abound at dinner for many. Even though I typically dressed for dinner on Viking, like I would on Oceania GDR or Specialties or on Uniworld cruises, is of little importance. There is absolutely NO Dress Code on Viking, so expectations of apparel should be geared in that manner.
Viking FAQs have a response to "Is there a "Dress Code" on the ship?" with suggestions on what to wear (previously quoted on this thread). You can believe that is not an implied dress code if you want (and they didn't make threats for non-conformance), but it sure seems implied to me. Whatever:rolleyes:

Thanks, everyone, for the information. We're sailing in our 1st Viking cruise next month.......Budapest to Amsterdam.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hi we are doing this cruise in October please posr relevant info

Thanks Sue

Everything we received from Viking indicated "casual" attire. Never, in any of the info they sent us did they suggest anything else. Some people chose to dress casually at all times, including coming back from tours, going to bar, and then straight to dinner. Many wore shorts, tees, and flip flops to dinner. The CD never hinted at any dress code other than being casual.

I personally believe that Viking uses casual attire as a recruitment tool. A percentage of cruisers want to be casual 100% of the time. That's fine, and Viking coordinating their (lack of) dress code to lure in that crowd is an acceptable marketing tool, imo. All the lines shouldn't have the same policies. But, to suggest that Viking has any dress code at any time is incorrect.

hi we are doing this cruise in October please posr relevant info

Thanks Sue

Sue, look at my post (#2). That is relevant to your question. We cruised in November last year and what we observed people wearing is what you will too, given the time of year.

We're going on the Viking Rhine Getaway in mid-August so I am curious to see how many shorts and flip-flops I'll see for dinner! Me? I will stick to nice summery sundresses. ;)

Viking is casual. However, if you like to dress up, do it. You may wear anything. Please keep it clean. Especially if the weather is warm, I shower and put on clean clothes before dinner. In cooler weather, many guests do not change for dinner. It is your cruise, wear whatever you want. There are no formal nights.

I'm good with casual. :) It's one of the reasons we chose Viking instead of some others. Nice to have a choice - dress up a bit if I have time and chose to - come straight from the tour (with a bit of freshen up) if I want. I'll be wearing sandals, for sure and my flip flops (all blinged out) might make an appearance too! Just haven't decided whether I'm bringing them or will just make do with the sandals. I'm thinking flip flops and cobblestones are not going to be compatible :cool:

no-open-toed-footwear-sign-is-1185.png

We wear/pack two pair of walking shoes. If we have the space, and weight, we add a pair of "evening" shoes. For us, that means casual.

Better not hang around with me! I LIVE in flip flops from May (weather permitting) until October! I hate confining shoes! I don't own "evening" shoes!

I know it is now not politically correct to be sexist, but I think many of the flip flop comments (at least the ones I made) were toward men wearing flip flops to dinner, not women. Some of those knarly toes and feet don't need to be so exposed, especially walking into the main dining room! :eek:

I know it is now not politically correct to be sexist, but I think many of the flip flop comments (at least the ones I made) were toward men wearing flip flops to dinner, not women. Some of those knarly toes and feet don't need to be so exposed, especially walking into the main dining room! :eek:

LOL I can't speak for anyone but me, but I have better things to do when heading for dinner than to worry about what people have on their feet :eek: unless they are doing a handstand and their feet are in my face :D

We will be cruising with Viking in mid-August and it shows temps will be in the 70s. My plans will be to dress in shorts whenever possible. At that time of year shorts should be acceptable. However you will not see me in flip-flops.

As to what other are wearing, I do not really care. I feel that people can dress to the nines or come in as casually as they please. I'm will not be offended by anyone's dress. You will be welcome at my table. I hope for fair skies, smooth waters and for all to have a wonderful time. :)

Bill

Better not hang around with me! I LIVE in flip flops from May (weather permitting) until October! I hate confining shoes! I don't own "evening" shoes!

DD was a swimmer. Flip flops year 'round - polartech sox with separate big toe for cold nights.

The sign should have been posted next to the cobblestones.

Surely you wear shoes in the evening aboard a river ship. If so, you do own evening shoes.