Need Help Deciding

spn2200

My friend and I (both in our early 30's) are planning to take a cruise in early December. We've narrowed it down to the Allure of the Seas and Celebrity Reflection. Itineraries are about the same, but the price is quite a bit less on Celebrity at $690 per person vs. $1,000 per person on the Allure.

To give you some background, we just got back from a trip to Bermuda on the NCL Breakaway, which was our first large ship cruise. We both liked the size of the ship because it had lots to offer but didn't feel huge. Specialty restaurants were good, entertainment was very good and the ship was beautiful. We also appreciated the anytime dining and not having to dress for formal nights.

On one hand we are leaning towards Celebrity due to it being cheaper and more upscale (although I'm not impressed with the cabin design). But on the other hand the activities and shows on the Allure seem to be more interesting.

Any insight you can provide would be very helpful!

Edited by spn2200

Considering the reasons that you appreciated the Breakaway I would say that Allure might be more in line with what you are looking for. It is an amazing ship with a lot to do and the entertainment is great. We have cruised Celebrity in the past and enjoyed it very much but I prefer RCI and the Oasis/Freedom/Voyager classes of ships more.

Though I appreaciate the price difference that you posted, I don't get a lot of vacation time and I would spend more for a vacation that I really want to take instead of less for something that I would not enjoy as much. Of course, everything that I just wrote is only my opinion but opinions are what you asked for.

Edited by Ocean Boy

My friend and I (both in our early 30's) are planning to take a cruise in early December. We've narrowed it down to the Allure of the Seas and Celebrity Reflection. Itineraries are about the same, but the price is quite a bit less on Celebrity at $690 per person vs. $1,000 per person on the Allure.

To give you some background, we just got back from a trip to Bermuda on the NCL Breakaway, which was our first large ship cruise. We both liked the size of the ship because it had lots to offer but didn't feel huge. Specialty restaurants were good, entertainment was very good and the ship was beautiful. We also appreciated the anytime dining and not having to dress for formal nights.

On one hand we are leaning towards Celebrity due to it being upper scale and cheaper. But on the other hand the activities and shows on the Allure seem to be more interesting.

If it were me, I'd pick the Allure, if you like the entertainment and lots to do, I think you'll like the Allure, there are so many things to do and even though it's big, I never really felt it to be too crowded, maybe on the first day when no one knows where to go, I have to say, I've never been on Celebrity, so I can't give good advice, but if it's like Princess, I was totally bored.

I am a loyal RCL cruiser, but jumped ship to Celebrity 2xs. 1st was a Bermuda cruise, cause it was 2/3 days there & we were with friends. Loved the island, but thought the ship Boring. Swore we'd never sail again on Celebrity. Will we gave in again when we saw the itinerary for British Isles tour. The ports were fantastic, but again nothing to do in the evenings. The shows were good. But none of the fun of RCL cruises. I am back to my favorite cruise line.

Kathie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am a loyal RCL cruiser, but jumped ship to Celebrity 2xs. 1st was a Bermuda cruise, cause it was 2/3 days there & we were with friends. Loved the island, but thought the ship Boring. Swore we'd never sail again on Celebrity. Will we gave in again when we saw the itinerary for British Isles tour. The ports were fantastic, but again nothing to do in the evenings. The shows were good. But none of the fun of RCL cruises. I am back to my favorite cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree - I have been choosing X for the itinerary, but for a Caribbean cruise I would prefer RCL - You will get some additional fun for $310.

Here is a video from my Reflection cruise.

[YOUTUBE]3Ob9v-jfToI[/YOUTUBE]

The only Celebrity cruise we did was a 4 night out of Miami on Century (small, older ship) and although we adored the Martini Bar and thought the ship was gorgeous, it was NOT lively at all (and this was during a Valentine's weekend so you would think a shorter/holiday cruise would be hopping). The Allure will have things going on at all times and people participating!

My experience with Celebrity (many cruises) is that it is classy and understated, they are certainly not party ships. I wore a suit and tie to dinner every night, though you don't need to. I sort of consider Celebrity to be RCI's version of Cunard, and having sailed Cunard many times I can say that with some authority. They are not the same, but both are of a higher class.

Agree - I have been choosing X for the itinerary, but for a Caribbean cruise I would prefer RCL - You will get some additional fun for $310.

3Ob9v-jfToI

Thanks for sharing the video. The Reflection looks very nice and relaxing. Are there areas on the Allure where I can get away from the noise and relax?

We've done both, and really, you can't go wrong either way, so once you decide, don't look back!

Because of your age, I'll just note that Reflection's production shows are fresher, edgier than Allure's, and the lounge scene is a bit more hip. I like the specialty restaurant options better, too. But then, Allure has the incomparable aqua and ice shows, and overall, there is a lot more to do!

Note that the cruise demographic in early Dec skews older (with many drive-to-port retirees taking advantage of the annual low rates between Thanksgiving and Christmas) because many working people are on year-end crunches or holiday retail, and families/students/school personnel are still in session. When we did Reflection in early December, it was a pretty ho-hum late-night scene (and we're in our 50s!). You'll either make your own fun, find your peeps or catch up on sleep! Allure might be a bit more lively.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thanks for sharing the video. The Reflection looks very nice and relaxing. Are there areas on the Allure where I can get away from the noise and relax?

Just off the Allure earlier this month and loved it. Central Park is a nice relaxing area.

Allure is more 'noisy', but as dacsmom is saying "Central Park is a nice relaxing area" and also areas at the upper decks.

Allure or Reflection, - I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise, whatever ship!

Just let us know what you decide - and then do the other ship next time!

Looking forward to your review.

In our experience, Oasis/Allure only feel crowded embarkation day, then everyone gets the hang of things, and the many neighborhoods nicely absorb all the pax. There are always quiet spots to be found--another vote for Central Park, but many nooks and crannies all over!

On one hand we are leaning towards Celebrity due to it being cheaper and more upscale (although I'm not impressed with the cabin design). But on the other hand the activities and shows on the Allure seem to be more interesting.

I'd say you're right on,,,,

Celebrity(with better service, better food, classier, lower price) 'vs' Allure(with more activities, better entertainment)

Its really what will make you happy for the money you will spend!:)

If it matters, we'd pick Celebrity for the price!:D

[YOUTUBE]3Ob9v-jfToI[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for sharing the video. I am on Reflection in 2 weeks (can't wait). I am D+ Royal Caribbean and am excited to try something new. But for all the reasons expressed, it's likely we'll like RCCL better. We are going with friends who are a lot of fun so not too worried. It'll be an interesting cruise.

Personally, I do not like the bells and whistle ships.

We cruise for the gym, (thermal suites) having all food taken care of, the ocean; unpacking only once and not having to think! I play Blackjack, enjoy some musical venues and of course, the itinerary can matter...

If I wanted to go to shows, I would find them other than on a cruise!...

I have enough stimulation in the environment which I live.

That being said: I would always pick Celebrity over RCCL....

if you have children, RCCL is like a floating resort!...for them, maybe?

Only you can decide after you try it!

Enjoy the adventure!

• 2 weeks later...

OP, congrats on a decision! As I said upthread, you had a great choice either way, and we love love love Allure. I hope you will, too! I'm not sure about the status of Chef's Table, but here's my compare and contrast with 150 Central Park: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1908540

Happy planning! Let us know what you think when you get back!