Azura Cabin number changed - Why?

Solopolo

Hi everyone, I booked a superior balcony on D deck on Azura and upon checking the booking they have changed my cabin. I'm now right by the lifts and deliberately booked my room to be a distance from them. Can they do this and any advice on how to get the original cabin back?

Thanks in advance clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

It is likely to be a "free upgrade". Is the new cabin graded at a higher grade than the grade your original cabin is graded? If it is an upgrade it could be tricky as Deluxe Balcony cabins are rare. One tactic is ask to switch the newcomers to your old cabin with the new one you are in and you revert to old cabin which they are vacating as a result.

Regards John

When you booked you would have been given the choice to opt for automatic upgrades, or maintain the same cabin. Upgrades can sometimes be better, but quite often they are the least popular cabins in a higher grade.

Whoever you booked with, P&O or TA go back and complain, but getting the cabin back will be difficult.

There have been a couple of people recently in the same situation and some have managed to get the original back. Be politely persistent.

I do think that P&O should make it much more clear that and upgrade is, in 9 out of 10 cases, not and upgrade as most of us would understand it, just a shunt along the corridor a bit to exactly the same cabin and most times in a worse location.

Hi everyone, I booked a superior balcony on D deck on Azura and upon checking the booking they have changed my cabin. I'm now right by the lifts and deliberately booked my room to be a distance from them. Can they do this and any advice on how to get the original cabin back?

Thanks in advance clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Don't worry about noise and disturbance. You won't hear the lifts and there will not be vast numbers of drunks shouting and screaming in the corridors late at night ;)

Thanks for your responses. It's the same grade Cabin but further down the ship. It's def not an upgrade [emoji30]

If it is near the middle it is classed as a more expensive cabin therefore more desirable. We always go for cabins by the lifts. Never any noise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If it is near the middle it is classed as a more expensive cabin therefore more desirable. We always go for cabins by the lifts. Never any noise.

Thanks for your responses. I shall report back and let you know how we get on! [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is what we do because you are nearer everything. Sometimes the corridors look massively long and you have obstacles like cabin stewards trolleys in the way.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your responses. It's the same grade Cabin but further down the ship. It's def not an upgrade

It is almost certainly an upgrade. When you get an upgrade it's to a slightly more expensive cabin so you will be, in P&O's opinion, in a batter location. I see people asking all the time about upgrades and expecting a much better cabin. Upgrades are rarely about going from inside to Balcony or in your case to a suite but more likely, as you have found out, it's just changing the position of your cabin. This is why people who've cruised a lot tick often no upgrades, when they've spent time and care choosing the cabin they want - like you did.

It is almost certainly an upgrade. When you get an upgrade it's to a slightly more expensive cabin so you will be, in P&O's opinion, in a batter location. I see people asking all the time about upgrades and expecting a much better cabin. Upgrades are rarely about going from inside to Balcony or in your case to a suite but more likely, as you have found out, it's just changing the position of your cabin. This is why people who've cruised a lot tick often no upgrades, when they've spent time and care choosing the cabin they want - like you did.

Exactly!!

Not so much walking to do if you are by the lifts and in the middle of the ship there isn't as much movement, so definitely an upgrade.

If you go to the trouble of selecting a specific cabin and don't want another, then you MUST tick the no upgrade box.

The problem is for people who have not cruised a lot they don't get it and P&O don't spell it out for them.

Try telling someone "upgraded" to A deck under all the noise of the buffet and shaded by the overhang or "upgraded" to above a late night venue that they have a better location😬

Well I shall accept the upgrade with open arms then as most people seem to think it's a good location. Thanks for the advice everyone x

Have a good trip, I would take that cabin too - I've never had noise from lifts and if you do yet people who decide to be noisy, it's as likely they will do it anywhere along the corridor - doesn't happen too often.

Have a good trip, I would take that cabin too - I've never had noise from lifts and if you do yet people who decide to be noisy, it's as likely they will do it anywhere along the corridor - doesn't happen too often.

Thank you [emoji1360][emoji3]

The problem is for people who have not cruised a lot they don't get it and P&O don't spell it out for them.

Try telling someone "upgraded" to A deck under all the noise of the buffet and shaded by the overhang or "upgraded" to above a late night venue that they have a better location😬

I understand that, Eglesbrech and that's why I said regular cruisers tick the no upgrades box but first-time cruisers have different expectations. Like you I think P&O should spell it out but not sure how they can do this. The term 'upgrade' suggests something better not just the same cabin along the corridor. I post on FB too and there are so many posts from new cruisers asking what the chances are of an upgrade thinking they're all going to end up in a suite, which as you and I know is highly unlikely!

I understand that, Eglesbrech and that's why I said regular cruisers tick the no upgrades box but first-time cruisers have different expectations. Like you I think P&O should spell it out but not sure how they can do this. The term 'upgrade' suggests something better not just the same cabin along the corridor. I post on FB too and there are so many posts from new cruisers asking what the chances are of an upgrade thinking they're all going to end up in a suite, which as you and I know is highly unlikely!

Or travel agents make mistakes :loudcry::loudcry: luckily eventually all sorted.

Your right. I can't remember the last time I heard about anyone getting a "proper" upgrade.

I don't know how they change the wording but I do think they have to do so as there are more new cruisers than ever and it is disengenious to say upgrade because it does suggest something better. While in some cases, like the OP, it is better in others the move can be significantly worse as we all know only too well.

They should perhaps have 2 check boxes, one for reassignment in cabin category (most people who has selected their cabin would say no to that) and one for upgrade to the next cabin type - I dream of the day they offer me an upgrade to suite (so far the only suite I have seen is one I have paid for😀)

I suspect they like it just the way it is as it is a way to get rid of the undesirable cabins without reducing the price for late saver guarantees.

Your right. I can't remember the last time I heard about anyone getting a "proper" upgrade.

I don't know how they change the wording but I do think they have to do so as there are more new cruisers than ever and it is disengenious to say upgrade because it does suggest something better. While in some cases, like the OP, it is better in others the move can be significantly worse as we all know only too well.

They should perhaps have 2 check boxes, one for reassignment in cabin category (most people who has selected their cabin would say no to that) and one for upgrade to the next cabin type - I dream of the day they offer me an upgrade to suite (so far the only suite I have seen is one I have paid for)

I suspect they like it just the way it is as it is a way to get rid of the undesirable cabins without reducing the price for late saver guarantees.

I think they do that already?

I think they do that already?

I have heard people say that yet for all the cruises I have booked either direct through p&O or through large travel agents there has never been an option available that I can see. There is only ever one choice upgrade or no upgrade

Am I just missing something, can someone point to where the additional choice is on the booking or cruise personaliser. Would be grateful if anyone could.

Instead of "upgrade", would "re-location" be better wording?

I think that would remove the assumption that the change is better than it actually is.

What do you think?

:)

Edited by jasperado
Didn't make sense!!

Instead of "upgrade", would "re-location" be better wording?

I think that would remove the assumption that the change is better than it actually is.

What do you think?

:)

Re location is certainly much more accurate and depresses unrealistic expectations of that move to a suite 😀

They should perhaps have 2 check boxes, one for reassignment in cabin category (most people who has selected their cabin would say no to that) and one for upgrade to the next cabin type - I dream of the day they offer me an upgrade to suite (so far the only suite I have seen is one I have paid for[emoji3])

If I was giving a suite upgrade, thinking strategically I would give it to those on high incomes staying in inside or balcony cabins on a regular basis. This way you give them a taste of something which is possibly within their affordability, in the hope they book suites in the future. Think carefully when you answer questionnaires that ask about your annual income!