Best way to carry ship card

KaDarr

How big is the ship card? Is it vertical or horizontal? What is the best way to carry it around? We got the beverage package on an Alaskan NCL ship so I know we have to have our cards with us just about all the time. A badge holder? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

It's the size of a credit card, or driver's lic....hubby puts his in his pocket, I carry a small purse, with my lipstick, comb, etc.....

How do you carry your room key at a hotel? Do the same! It's your cabin key....

Edited by cb at sea

We also use lanyards. We go to the front desk and they will punch a hole in the card. (at least on Princess)

However, we do NOT use the lanyard ashore. There we put the card in our pockets. We do not want someone mistaking the lanyard for something of value and trying to grab it.

Edited by paul929207

@ KaDarr

I got these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rhinestone-Bling-Crystal-Cell-Phone-ID-Badge-Holder-Lanyard-Necklace-NWT-/221440684372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item338ee4b154

For my mom and I on last cruise, and it was WAY too much trouble to take the cards out, we quickly ditched the "frame" thingee and had them punch holes in the cards at the main desk. However the price on Amazon is as good as any for just the string anyway. (You do know you linked to a package of FIVE lanyards, right?)

What I also discovered was that wearing it around my neck whilst also wearing my phone/phablet (as it is my camera as well) repeatedly de-magnetized the card. I didn't think it was so, as I carry a credit card in the same (non-neck) wallet as the phone at home, but I later read on these forums that it is true! So up-coming cruise, will carry my S&S card key on a keyring with mini-carabiner NOT on my neck.

Edited by crystalspin

I have to wear a lanyard at work and don't want to wear one on vacation. So I just use my pockets or a very small purse.

glad someone feels the same! It feels like work if I have a lanyard or a clip with a retractable cord. I would rather lose 5 cards and get new ones than use a lanyard on a cruise. I don't want anything to remind me of work.

I have a lanyard with a sleeve attached. It's easier for me to automatically put it on my neck, rather than worrying if I've stuck it in my purse (I might not always have a pocket to use). For going off the ship, I do put it in my purse once I've had it scanned on the gangway.

Never outside but when ashore drop it inside the shirt/t-shirt and re-check the collar to insure it is not visible. These are a most wanted item when off the ship in any foreign land, island, nation. Also wear "Grey Person" attire when off the ship so you do not get marked as a Tourist! That means nothing nothing fancy when you get off the ship. If you do you will get hits from all the local "You need this Salesfolks"

If you have ever been locked out of your room at midnight because you left your room key in your other pants pocket, as I have done, you will learn to appreciate a lanyard. It was a long walk to the Front Desk in my bare feet in Alaska to get a new card.

My lanyard now is around my neck from the time my feet hit the floor (with the exception of shower/shaving) until my feet go under the sheets at bedtime while aboard ship.

After being scanned off of the ship, the room-key lanyard goes into a pocket.

FWIW you can grey-out but your backpack, camera, ship's shopping bag, hairstyle, manner of walking, etc. are a dead giveaway that you are a tourist. If you go completely incognito with none of the above, your shoe style will shout "not local". You cannot fool the locals so just go "comfortable tourist" and when being confronted by an aggressive salesperson, let them know that your spouse has all of the money and you don't know where they might be.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

I have to wear a lanyard at work and don't want to wear one on vacation. So I just use my pockets or a very small purse.

I too wear a lanyard at work and it must have a breakaway as I work with power equipment. OHS requirement. I will wear the lanyard on the ship as sometimes I have no pockets. Swimsuit.

However, the lanyard from Princess does not have a breakaway and for the ship this is fine. Yet, on shore excursions having a solid lanyard is a liability from a personal safety point of view in public places. You are passing thru public streets with a solid rope about your neck. What could go wrong?

Move your card to wallet or pocket to get this small level of personal safety. My 3 cents.

Just a heads up on the lanyard. On Celebrity last year, a fellow passenger bought the lanyard with plastic case on the ship. While she was in port she lost her card, the plastic hole broke and she had no idea where it went. I also had the same lanyard and mine broke too before the cruise was over. I think k a hole punched in the card is far more secure.

If you have ever been locked out of your room at midnight because you left your room key in your other pants pocket, as I have done, you will learn to appreciate a lanyard. It was a long walk to the Front Desk in my bare feet in Alaska to get a new card.

My lanyard now is around my neck from the time my feet hit the floor (with the exception of shower/shaving) until my feet go under the sheets at bedtime while aboard ship.

After being scanned off of the ship, the room-key lanyard goes into a pocket.

FWIW you can grey-out but your backpack, camera, ship's shopping bag, hairstyle, manner of walking, etc. are a dead giveaway that you are a tourist. If you go completely incognito with none of the above, your shoe style will shout "not local". You cannot fool the locals so just go "comfortable tourist" and when being confronted by an aggressive salesperson, let them know that your spouse has all of the money and you don't know where they might be.

lol..exactly and 100% correct. I love the advice about blending in. They can spot a tourist, especially if it's a pick-pocket in Europe or someone that has bad intentions. Just be cautious, same as if you were a tourist in a city in the U.S. Be aware of your surroundings and enjoy getting to be a tourist in a wonderful place...and use a lanyard. I had to wear one when I was working to, but I was never able to use it to get a margarita or a frozen drink with an umbrella ;).

What a novel idea. Now I can leave my bow tie at home to save luggage space and just wear my lanyard and room card with my tuxedo :D

How big is the ship card? Is it vertical or horizontal? What is the best way to carry it around? We got the beverage package on an Alaskan NCL ship so I know we have to have our cards with us just about all the time. A badge holder? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

It is the same size as a credit card. It is printed in portrait, but it depends on how you hold it as to whether is is vertical or horizontal. Personally I carry it in my pocket. However, if you are comfortable with it in a card older and allowing everyone to see it, then a card holder will work.

Honestly, I wear a lanyard as well. I think it's just the easiest thing I have found. Especially ladies, you know how sometimes you may have a sundress on or some type of slacks without pockets etc. I just like having somewhere to always have it. On our first cruise the first few days my husband offered to put it in his pocket for me, but if we would separate, sometimes he would forget and I would be without my card.

I obviously don't carry a purse anywhere on the ship, so yeah a lanyard just works so well.