Where to put the Over the Door Shoe Organizer?

Californian

:confused:I'm thinking of purchasing an over the door shoe organizer, but not sure I want it inside the bathroom. If I use the metal hooks, is it possible to put it on the back of the cabin door? in front of the bathroom door? in front of the closet? I'll be on the Norwegian Star and Holland America Oosterdam.

If I didn't want to use the metal hooks, will magnetic hooks work? .....was thinking of hanging the thing in front of the closet if that was possible.

Where do you hang yours beside the back of the bathroom door? How have you jerry rigged yours? If so, what did you do? Thanks for sharing your insights!

We hung ours on the outside of the bathroom door,when we were on the NCL Dawn, as the hooks on the inside for clothing and/or bathrobes, got in the way. The metal hooks didn't keep the door from closing at all and it worked very well for us. We were 3 grown women traveling together and the shoe hanger made all the difference for us.

I have a six pocket one that came with a rope to hang on the door hook. Of course the hooks are not in the middle of the door. I use multi-strand pieces of dental floss to hang it on the hooks. Not too pretty but it works.

It depends on the ship. Some ships we do not use it and other ships we have to use it. The remodeled bathroom vanity area on Carnival's Fantasy class ships was 'designed by a man' and completely unfunctional.

We put them on the closet doors next to the desk/dresser area......it's easy to scoop things off the dresser and find a convenient pocket....this includes the paperwork that tends to accumulate.

We've found them to be VERY VERY helpful with four in a cabin....it's easy to actually stuff pj's for the little ones in a pocket and it really helps keep the clutter (camera's, sun glasses, sun tan lotion, etc) off the counter area and easy to see...through the clear plastic.

Our littler family members are assigned the bottom 2 rows to also keep there special treasures....collected at camp carnival, etc.

If it were just my husband and I perhaps we wouldn't needed a full wall hanging one.....but with kids - I LOVE IT!

We also use on the outside of the bathroom door. I cut it in half so that we only have 12-16 pockets (I have two depending on the length of cruise). I also wondered about using 4 magnet hooks or command strips to hold it to a wall instead of the door. We clip our daily patters to the wall with a magnet.

I read that some lines are banning the over door things because of damage.

It's just two of us and I wouldn't dream of leaving mine behind. With that being said, I really don't use it for bathroom stuff, there's plenty of shelving in there. More the miscellaneous stuff.

Since I hate the look of clutter, we hung ours on the inside of the closet on the Carnival Liberty. It fit perfectly, and we didn't have to look at it unless we opened the closet door. Win-win!

We bought one years ago. Used it once and now it hangs out somewhere in an old suitcase in the garage. We find we have plenty of room for storage for our things, we take the small toiletry hangers that go right onto the towel rod in the bathroom.

We don't hang onto the daily papers once that day is over. Any papers we want to keep (say a photograph or accumulated receipts), gets packed into the suitcase under the bed right away. I have thrown photos out before because it was stacked amongst the daily papers that got thrown out at the end of the cruise. Lesson learned…don't hang onto crap you don't really need.

I didn't like it hanging inside the bathroom door, you couldn't hang the robes then. On the outside of the door, it just reduced the width of the hallway that much more and was a nuisance. If I had to get another one, I would get one with a hanger that can go into the closet and stays out of the way.

The one time I did use one, it was for shoes. We had our kids with us that time and way too many pairs of shoes.

I use zip-ties to attach it to a hanger inside the closet. It doesn't bang around, it's out of sight and still handy.

It hangs in the closet at home with all the vacation/cruise-only items... lanyards, sea-bands, air pillows, clothespins, etc.

I bought some magnetic hooks and some rope (clothesline). If I used the magnetic hooks, I was thinking I could put it on the outside of the closet or on the back of the cabin door. Does anyone know if it would work on the back of a cabin door?

If I used the rope, I was thinking of threading it through the holes and somehow tie it to a hanger. I do like your idea of using zip-ties, attaching it to a hanger and putting it inside the closet.

We bought one years ago. Used it once and now it hangs out somewhere in an old suitcase in the garage. We find we have plenty of room for storage for our things.

We didn't find the storage thing useful either. We packed it once . . . Then threw it away.

We didn't need the space (even with kids in the room). For a small room, these cabins have a lot of storage. We had plenty of bathroom storage space. Things like sunscreen and cameras fit in the open shelves at the end of the dresser, and the nightstands provide more storage yet. The kids kept their beach toys in a bag out on the balcony, and their books and other items were contained in their backpacks. We really haven't had a storage problem.

Instead of making the room seem clutter-free, an ove-the-door holder displays all your clutter at eye level on the back of the bathroom door.