Sun protection questions

cruise.mode

Will be sailing on POA Oct. 3, with a few pre-cruise days in Honolulu. Have heard that just about everything is expensive in the islands, so I'm guessing that includes sunscreen as well. Anyone know/remember what your typical brands of sunscreen cost? Just trying to figure out how much of this precious stuff to haul from home.

Also, is the sun so intense that it would be worth buying clothing that has SPF built right into the fabric? The DH and I don't lounge in the sun but will definitely be doing plenty of walking around. We've been to the Caribbean and have managed with hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Anything more needed for Hawaii?

I pay around $12-15 for either the nutragena or blue lizard. Both work for me in and out of the water. A wide hat and long sleeve shirt can rally help. When I use to work in tourism it was not unusual to see a sun burnt visitor to the islands.

Have fun,

Will

We ran out by the time we reached our day in Kona and bought a 3 oz tube of Coppertone Waterbabies, SPF 50. I still have it as a silly souvenir because of the ABC Stores price tag on it. It cost $4.99 plus tax, for 3 oz. So yeah, kind of expensive!

Our older daughter burns so easily, but she was just fine with sunscreen. None of us got much color at all.

Edited by greatlakesgirl

If you plan on snorkeling or being in the water you might purchase a rashguard. They really help keep the upper body from getting burned. Otherwise the way you prepare for the Caribbean is also good for Hawaii.

A suggestion for sunblock that a dermatologist gave me was to purchase sunblock with Zinc and Titanium Dioxide in it. We found that they give great protection in tropical climates. Many times the high SPF number sunblocks and those made for babies include these ingredients. Cherie

I would 2nd Blue Lizard as a good choice, and yes, I took mine with me. Who wants to waste time looking for sunscreen on vacation (which is probably your point)?

I had to order it online from Walgreens but it's very effective and lasts hours longer then others. It does not have to be reapplied constantly.

It is a little thick but you get used to putting it on. It's not cheap but not outrageously expensive either. 8 OZ container should be enough.

We were on a 48 day cruise through the south pacific (inc. Hawaii, Aus, NZ, etc) it worked great!

Will be sailing on POA Oct. 3, with a few pre-cruise days in Honolulu. Have heard that just about everything is expensive in the islands, so I'm guessing that includes sunscreen as well. Anyone know/remember what your typical brands of sunscreen cost? Just trying to figure out how much of this precious stuff to haul from home.

Also, is the sun so intense that it would be worth buying clothing that has SPF built right into the fabric? The DH and I don't lounge in the sun but will definitely be doing plenty of walking around. We've been to the Caribbean and have managed with hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Anything more needed for Hawaii?

There is no shortage of sunscreen in Hawaii & I do not think the price difference is so high as to be concerned about buying it here.

They have about every brand available & the Coppertone Sport and Neutrogena we buy on sale at Costco is about the same price as on the Mainland & they protect us. You may pay more at ABC than at big stores but places like Long's Drugs are also reasonably priced. We use SPF protection shirts & hats for our daily walks and a SPF rashguard in the water. Don't forget to also protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses.

This could turn into a lengthy discussion if it evolved into the various opinions about sun protection & you could research online for that info. You're experienced in the Caribbean so already know what works best for you. To me it's similar to Hawaii only most of the time we have tradewinds to make it feel cooler than during my Caribbean experiences.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yeah, we probably paid that much because of the convenience factor of the ABC store. :D

It is hard to beat the convenience of ABC stores and being on vacation that is more important than comparison shopping. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Go to Costco and get a couple packs, don't use it return the un-opened.

Sitting here on Maui as I type, don't skimp as what does it cost 10-20 bucks if you run short and you pay 5 bucks more. It continues to amazing me the medium to well done people I see around me. I guess that people like to show they were in Hawaii :D

It continues to amazing me the medium to well done people I see around me. I guess that people like to show they were in Hawaii :D

Or to show they were on a cruise but neither scenario is for me. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

There is no shortage of sunscreen in Hawaii & I do not think the price difference is so high as to be concerned about buying it here.

They have about every brand available & the Coppertone Sport and Neutrogena we buy on sale at Costco is about the same price as on the Mainland & they protect us. You may pay more at ABC than at big stores but places like Long's Drugs are also reasonably priced. We use SPF protection shirts & hats for our daily walks and a SPF rashguard in the water. Don't forget to also protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses.

This could turn into a lengthy discussion if it evolved into the various opinions about sun protection & you could research online for that info. You're experienced in the Caribbean so already know what works best for you. To me it's similar to Hawaii only most of the time we have tradewinds to make it feel cooler than during my Caribbean experiences.

Aloha :D,

When visiting Hawaii regardless of the time of year, EVERYBODY ! ! ! , make sure you use a really good sunscreen in Hawaii.

I have dark skin and have lived here all my life and use an SPF 50 or 35 (SPF 15 is too weak) if I'm going to be outside all day. If I don't, I will be sunburned in 60 minutes. I only buy BullFrog "waterproof" sunscreen. Just remember just because it says waterproof doesn't mean you don't need to re-apply it. The cost for a tube or spray bottle is only $1-$3 more expensive than when it on sale regardless of where you are from so don't bother bringing a lot with you.

Many people that snorkle wear a t-shirt or rash-guard because your back will be exposed to the sun. You won't get out of the water because you are cold because the water is amost alway warm in Hawaii.

Remember that you are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to come to Hawaii, so $3 isn't going to break your budget. The difference in cost is less than a Starbuck's coffee.

Don't forget to also protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses. In Hawaii, especially at the beach, the sun reflects off the sand and the water so your eyes will feel like they are burning if they get sunburned. I buy Polarized sunglasses when we go to Las Vegas for like $15 -$20 at Walmart, then I don't worry if I lose or forget them. It's not like losing a $200 (DUMB) pair of Oakleys.

It is almost impossible to have fun on vacation if you have sunburn blisters which I see on tourists in Hawaii all the time.

Aloha :D !

Edited by rakuroda

I have had 2 cases of Melanoma in the past few years and I use sunscreen all the time.

Just remember, just because the sun isn't out doesn't mean you do not need sunscreen. Use it ALL the time. Melanoma is the fastest growing cancer today and all those bronzed bodies will be paying the price down the road. You can bet on it.

Cheers

Len

Thanks so much to all of you for sharing your experiences. We usually use one of the Neutrogena spray formulas but will look into the others mentioned. I had never heard of Blue Lizard but will check it out on Amazon. I will be seeing my dermatologist in a couple of weeks and will bring all these suggestions along to see what he recommends. I know one thing for sure --- it's not worth penny pinching if the alternative means winding up with a nasty burn and lasting sun damage.

• 2 weeks later...
Everything has to be brought from the continental US...hence, the expense. What do you use at home? Bring that, and apply often. Brand isn't as important as SPF and proper application!!!
There is no shortage of sunscreen in Hawaii & I do not think the price difference is so high as to be concerned about buying it here. They have about every brand available & the Coppertone Sport and Neutrogena we buy on sale at Costco is about the same price as on the Mainland & they protect us. You may pay more at ABC than at big stores but places like Long's Drugs are also reasonably priced. We use SPF protection shirts & hats for our daily walks and a SPF rashguard in the water. Don't forget to also protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses.
As an eye doctor, I ... must say...PLEASE ... (protect) your eyes with proper sunwear (UV protection and polarized!)

Aloha :D

It is true that everything has to be, "brought from the continental US", but that only means that it might be 3%-7% more expensive than anywhere else on the continental US. We travel to the continental US all the time and most of the time the stuff I find in CVS (Long's Drugs), Walmart, or Kmart in Hawaii is the same price on the mainland, and I buy a lot of stuff at CVS, Walmart, and Kmart because they are so convenient to where I live. And there is a Walmart about 15 minutes walk from the Aloha Tower cruise port, just up the street about 4-5 blocks.

Unless your sunscreen/sunblock is some special hard to find brand, bringing a big tube of sunscreen just because you're afraid of paying $1-$2 more in Hawaii seems silly to me. 20oz sodas in vending machines cost $1.25 on the street in Hawaii, just like most places on the mainland.

Great pointers here already. I only want to add that for anyone that plans on snorkeling, please do buy and wear reef-safe sunscreen. There has been an increasing death of coral in quite a few areas of Hawaii, and many think the sunscreens worn by snorkelers, (or those doing other water activities as well), could be a big contributor to this. One other thing most of my snorkeling friends do is to make a small investment in rash guards with sunscreen properties.

Have fun and don't get fried in Hawaii! ;)

Great pointers here already. I only want to add that for anyone that plans on snorkeling, please do buy and wear reef-safe sunscreen. There has been an increasing death of coral in quite a few areas of Hawaii, and many think the sunscreens worn by snorkelers, (or those doing other water activities as well), could be a big contributor to this. One other thing most of my snorkeling friends do is to make a small investment in rash guards with sunscreen properties.

Have fun and don't get fried in Hawaii! ;)

I agree that the rash guards that provide UV protection are a good way to go, but don't forget the back of your legs can easily sunburn in Hawaii because of the warm water in most snorkeling areas. I personally don't get chilled when I snorkel in the shallow waters of many areas.

Also, don't touch the coral underwater. The coral reef polyps are very fragile and tiny living animals that can be damaged if touched. Many snorkelers don't understand this and think they can just stand on or grab ahold of the coral. Please don't.