Half Moon Cay

linbobky

I've been there three times and have only ever seen one ship, which is perfect. :)

BTW, Half Moon Cay is my absolute favorite place in the Caribbean.

We are going for the first time with a cabana - in June!! Any recommendations for choice of of cabana location??

Happy, if you do a quick search on the private islands forum there is a wealth of information regarding which cabana to choose and the reasons behind why to choose them.

We like the ones away from all the action (#10 and above) because we like that their are fewer people down that way. Others want to be right in the heart of things and choose the lower number cabanas.

Happy, if you do a quick search on the private islands forum there is a wealth of information regarding which cabana to choose and the reasons behind why to choose them.

We like the ones away from all the action (#10 and above) because we like that their are fewer people down that way. Others want to be right in the heart of things and choose the lower number cabanas.

Yep - been checking them out! Think we've decided to try for the 6-7-8 range....little further down the beach so it's less crowded, still near enough to the bars and food.

But I'm still throwing it out there once in a while to get feedback! ;)

While there on HAL Zuiderdam the beach was peaceful and quiet. The last time we were there on Carnival Fantasy they had a DJ playing loud thumping music from near the pirate ship bar like it was an MTV beach party. We could hardly walk far enough down the beach to escape it. So, the farther way you can get a cabana the better, IMHO.

We are going for the first time with a cabana - in June!! Any recommendations for choice of of cabana location??

My vote would be Cabana 10. Good luck getting it. Just far enough away from the crowds, and close to the rest rooms. I loved it. I'm going again, and trying to get the same one. Watch out for the tiny birds trying to eat your snacks.. lol.

My vote would be Cabana 10. Good luck getting it. Just far enough away from the crowds, and close to the rest rooms. I loved it. I'm going again, and trying to get the same one. Watch out for the tiny birds trying to eat your snacks.. lol.

Smart birds!!! ;) :D

I was there with two ships once (the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Zuiderdam), and it did feel crowded - but that's because it was a holiday cruise and they're at capacity, anyway. :) Even then, it was quite enjoyable in spite of the crowds.

How far down did you walk? The beach is huge (three miles long?) and the chairs go way past the pirate ship toward the end where the horse tours go. We practically had a wide section of the beach to ourselves where the beach closest to the tenders was packed. The good thing is that you can find some nice shade as you walk further down the beach.

You are correct that there are not many beach chairs past the cabanas. The photo at the link below shows where we were parked along the beach, about mid way between the tenders and the opposite end where we saw the people riding horses. It faces away from the tenders. What you don't see is that there are stacks of lounge chairs pulled to the back of the sand.

Scroll before and after this photo to see more of the cabanas and the beach.

http://www.svee.org/Vacation/2014-Carnival-Fantasy/i-gmmCRH4/A

Been there 8 times. Where that white tent is past the common end of any loungers. The horses are still 100 yards or more down the beach.

Thanks for the great tease for our next trip there in 11 months!

Edited by CruiserBruce

How far down did you walk? The beach is huge (three miles long?) and the chairs go way past the pirate ship toward the end where the horse tours go. We practically had a wide section of the beach to ourselves where the beach closest to the tenders was packed. The good thing is that you can find some nice shade as you walk further down the beach.

I don't think we walked very far, but we were very early off the ship so we hadn't realized our area would get quite so busy. But we had a wonderful time regardless!