Has anyone brought a can of soda to the MDR with them?

I was thinking of bringing some cans of soda onboard for us. We typically drink them in the cabin and I get the Soda Package to use in the MDR. After actually taking the time to add up how many drinks we actually consume, I would have paid less just to buy them each time instead of buying the package!

So, I was wondering if we take an unopened (or opened, doubt it makes a difference?) can or two of soda to the MDR each evening, are we liable to get a negative reaction from the wait staff/bartender for "bringing our own" sodas.

Also, how many cans are we allowed to bring per person?

And how many small bottles of water are we allowed to bring per person also?

Thanks so much for responding!

I would probably get a glass of ice and pour it in my room and take that with me rather than take the actual can. But either way, I'm sure no employee on the ship would say anything. I often take a glass of wine to dinner that I pour in my room. They don't know whether I bought it at a bar or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What is the soda of choice on Carnival.

Coke or Pepsi? Can you get cans or 20oz bottles?

First time cruiser I am :confused:

We are going with the soda package,but thinking bringing some on for the cabin.

Can you buy another 12 pack in port and bring it on? If so, how much is a 12 pack while in a port? We're planning on bringing a 12 pack each, but might need one more to last for the week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Last year on the Dream bought 12 packs in port and brought them to the MDR and they stored them for us and brought up with our dinner

Can you buy another 12 pack in port and bring it on? If so, how much is a 12 pack while in a port? We're planning on bringing a 12 pack each, but might need one more to last for the week.

Yes, you can buy another 12 pack in port and bring it back on the ship. The price per 12 pack will vary from port to port, but a typical average is from about $3.50 - $3.99. I have seen 12 packs for $4.29 in some places. That may seem a little high, but compare that to $10.00 for a 6 pack on the ship.:eek:

We take drinks with us to the MDR all the time. My husband is a die hard Pepsi drinker so he always brings some with him. I just drink water, but sometimes I'll bring a bottle of water or some wine or whatever drink I might have going at the time. It's really not a big deal and we are always offered a glass of ice for our drinks.

Besides, the drink service is the MDR is SO SLOW, it just makes sense to bring your own drink.

you can also refill your stash at the ports

A 12-pack for a 3-day has always been sufficient, but I never considered refilling my stash at a port for longer cruises.....

I can't stand the taste of the diet soda I regularly drink while in Mexico, but since we're doing Alaska in July, I can refill in either Juneau or Skagway...since I'm sure to be low by then!!

Thanks SO MUCH for the new idea! 12 cruises and I didn't even think about it! (Don't get me wrong, when I used to drink, I had NO QUALMS about purchasing more liquor in port...LOL!!...but that was SO LONG ago!)

I'm considering this, will depend on how slow bar service is in the MDR this cruise, although I'll have to consider I have YTD and will not have same servers each night. On my October cruise I did not have a drink package but a few nights did get a diet coke, the bar server would usually have the diet coke there by the time our appetizers arrived.

On my cruise in March I was disappointed because I did have the BB package so I would have thought the bar server would anticipate that I would want a diet coke after I ordered one the first night, and since I had BB not a risk I wouldn't want to be charged or anything. but not only did he not anticipate this but I often would not even get my diet coke until mid meal.

you can also refill your stash at the ports

Oh thank you for that reminder....our first port is Key West and I know where both Walgreens and CVS are...I remember being SHOCKED at how much the little ice cream shop right by the port wanted for a 12-pk.

[quote=SoCalKJ;42644533

I can't stand the taste of the diet soda I regularly drink while in Mexico

That's the one disadvantage of buying soda at the ports of call. Different water used in the making of the soda makes it taste different.

That's the one disadvantage of buying soda at the ports of call. Different water used in the making of the soda makes it taste different.

Canned Mexican Coke and Diet Coke tastes so much better to me I might have to find some Coca Light while in Cozumel to take back on the ship.

Canned Mexican Coke and Diet Coke tastes so much better to me I might have to find some Coca Light while in Cozumel to take back on the ship.

Canned Mexican real coke is real sugar not corn syrup..learned that from a friend here and since have found a couple of stores and one Mexican restaurant here that has it...when you taste it ..you get a childhood 70's soda fountain flash back...the ones from the 50's then still alive here.

I also agree..the water does affect taste of pop..mom really found that with her Diet Pepsi..LOL..dear mom had to have a DP and found it to be not as good when they were in Tuscon..God bless the Intensive care nurses that made a pop moment special..like we were going out...Sarah:):):o:(:)

Edited by sjn911

I was thinking of bringing some cans of soda onboard for us. We typically drink them in the cabin and I get the Soda Package to use in the MDR. After actually taking the time to add up how many drinks we actually consume, I would have paid less just to buy them each time instead of buying the package!

So, I was wondering if we take an unopened (or opened, doubt it makes a difference?) can or two of soda to the MDR each evening, are we liable to get a negative reaction from the wait staff/bartender for "bringing our own" sodas.

Also, how many cans are we allowed to bring per person?

And how many small bottles of water are we allowed to bring per person also?

Thanks so much for responding!

We have brought sodas and mixed drinks into the MDR with us from time to time and the staff did not blink an eye.

Edited by sparks1093

Yes, you can do this. I do it on every cruise we have been on and never have experienced any negative reaction from the waiters. They will bring me a glass of ice with a straw each time and on my last cruise they did this without me asking and after the first night the glass of ice was waiting for me when I arrived at my table...

From Carnival's FAQ page... "On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less."

We have brought cans with us to the dining room, never an issue.

Canned Mexican real coke is real sugar not corn syrup..learned that from a friend here and since have found a couple of stores and one Mexican restaurant here that has it...when you taste it ..you get a childhood 70's soda fountain flash back...the ones from the 50's then still alive here.

I also agree..the water does affect taste of pop..mom really found that with her Diet Pepsi..LOL..dear mom had to have a DP and found it to be not as good when they were in Tuscon..God bless the Intensive care nurses that made a pop moment special..like we were going out...Sarah:):):o:(:)

It's not due to the water, more likely the soda was affected by heat or was close to the expiration date. Diet soda changes taste when it's even two weeks before the expiration date. In the summer, I bring my boxes of soda into the family room because the room where I usually store them gets very warm in the summer. And, it's "Tucson." ;)