Explorer Concierge Lounge

Ive seen pictures/YouTube videos of the Concierge Lounge on Explorer and there doesn't appear to be a bar plus the appetizer area appears to be almost non-existent.

Our room is next to the lounge and we look forward to spending there but does it have all the normal amenities?

Ive seen pictures/YouTube videos of the Concierge Lounge on Explorer and there doesn't appear to be a bar plus the appetizer area appears to be almost non-existent.

Our room is next to the lounge and we look forward to spending there but does it have all the normal amenities?

Yes, it has all the normal amenities.

But, on a transpacific cruise we took from Sydney to Seattle, there were so many D & D+, the afternoon happy hour was moved to one of the larger lounges at the other end of the ship. Both the diamond lounge and the concierge lounges did not have the usual happy hour drinks & snacks and were designated 'quiet zones'.

Since we are not drinkers, this was not a problem but they moved the DYI cappuccino machine from the concierge lounge to the big lounge and substituted a coffee machine that did not prepare cappuccinos & such with milk. So we used the diamond lounge most of the time for our cappuccinos (much nicer view).

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, it has all the normal amenities.

Hi Bob. I know your response was from last week but I wanted to ask something - since I know you have many cruises on all the RCI ship classes. We've been on Freedom class (Indy) and Radiance class (Radiance) and between them the Radiance had a far superior Concierge Lounge. I'm sure you've seen both so you likely know what I refer to. Not having been on a Voyager class ship yet and since we're considering an Alaska cruise in 2018 on Explorer, can you comment on a comparison between the CL on the three classes/ships I mention? Thanks!

Hi Bob. I know your response was from last week but I wanted to ask something - since I know you have many cruises on all the RCI ship classes. We've been on Freedom class (Indy) and Radiance class (Radiance) and between them the Radiance had a far superior Concierge Lounge. I'm sure you've seen both so you likely know what I refer to. Not having been on a Voyager class ship yet and since we're considering an Alaska cruise in 2018 on Explorer, can you comment on a comparison between the CL on the three classes/ships I mention? Thanks!

The CL on Explorer will be nearly identical to that of Indy, except Explorer's CL is on deck 9 and Indy's is on deck 10. No windows.

The CL on Explorer will be nearly identical to that of Indy, except Explorer's CL is on deck 9 and Indy's is on deck 10. No windows.

That is what I was afraid of. Our experience on Indy was horrible - small CL with no bar (just tables set up at the back) and not enough space for all the D and D+ as well as the suite guests. We kind of felt like interlopers with all the high level C&L folks there in that small space. As always, thank you for your experience and helpfulness. :)

That is what I was afraid of. Our experience on Indy was horrible - small CL with no bar (just tables set up at the back) and not enough space for all the D and D+ as well as the suite guests. We kind of felt like interlopers with all the high level C&L folks there in that small space. As always, thank you for your experience and helpfulness. :)

Things are a bit different now as Diamond level guests do not have access to the CL. It's just suite guests, Pinnacle, and Diamond Plus.

Things are a bit different now as Diamond level guests do not have access to the CL. It's just suite guests, Pinnacle, and Diamond Plus.

I suppose that would cut down a bit on the crowd but the lounge itself is really inadequate. It's almost like between Radiance class and Voyager/Freedom class, the decision was made to almost make the CL something to be avoided (I understand it's different on the newer classes). Thanks again Bob!

I suppose that would cut down a bit on the crowd but the lounge itself is really inadequate. It's almost like between Radiance class and Voyager/Freedom class, the decision was made to almost make the CL something to be avoided (I understand it's different on the newer classes). Thanks again Bob!

I missed it if you said you were D or D+... Are you? I hope so.

I'll add that frequenting the CL on Explorer instead of the DL on deck 14 is equivalent to locking yourself into an interior cabin vs. a grand suite with huge balcony, when you;re sailing thorough the inside passage or Tracey Arm Fjord. Unless it's dark outside and you can't see anything anyways, I would think the CL on Voyager Class is a major no-go for any Alaskan itinerary where scenery/view is a high criteria why anyone sails that itinerary. Just my humble opinion.

DL deck 14

DSC08476_zpsajo6g2rr.jpg

I will also point out that usually there are rather low numbers of D,D and PC on the Explorer to Alaska. We were on B2B last month. The first week was about 40,12 and 0, the 2nd week was 35-10 and 2. (we would have been top cruiser if it was not for those 2 PC's

We are doing another B2B in August. Not that it has anything to do with C&A numbers but we do not have enough signed up for M&M's yet.

I'll add that frequenting the CL on Explorer instead of the DL on deck 14 is equivalent to locking yourself into an interior cabin vs. a grand suite with huge balcony, when you;re sailing thorough the inside passage or Tracey Arm Fjord. Unless it's dark outside and you can't see anything anyways, I would think the CL on Voyager Class is a major no-go for any Alaskan itinerary where scenery/view is a high criteria why anyone sails that itinerary. Just my humble opinion.

DL deck 14

DSC08476_zpsajo6g2rr.jpg

I will also point out that usually there are rather low numbers of D,D and PC on the Explorer to Alaska. We were on B2B last month. The first week was about 40,12 and 0, the 2nd week was 35-10 and 2. (we would have been top cruiser if it was not for those 2 PC's

We are doing another B2B in August. Not that it has anything to do with C&A numbers but we do not have enough signed up for M&M's yet.

We were in GS's on both Indy and Radiance and the number of D, D+ and Pinnacle guests were not the primary concern on Indy (although it was very crowded every evening) but rather the incredibly small size and lack of exterior views and facilities compared to Radiance. If we were to seriously consider Explorer for that Alaska itin, the CL location would be a factor and from what I've heard, it's a no-go as Hoopster95 states.

DL deck 14

DSC08476_zpsajo6g2rr.jpg

I would think people with access to the CL would most likely want to enjoy the views from their Grand Suite or above. Or am I missing something?

I echo previous comments. The concierge lounge is an interior lounge with no windows and in our experience with Explorer it was packed with suite guests always.

We went to the Diamond lounge although we could have gone to concierge, for the better view and the expansion space into the lounge the Diamond lounge offered.

Both Diamond and suites concierges were excellent, we worked with both.

We loved Explorer, you will too!

I would think people with access to the CL would most likely want to enjoy the views from their Grand Suite or above. Or am I missing something?

The amenities of the CL are the reason we frequent that venue.

The amenities of the CL are the reason we frequent that venue.

I get that, but my point was geared to the comparison she was making between the DL and the CL. You can enjoy the amenities the CL offers, but would obviously have a better view from your room.

We are on the Explorer next June in a GS and look forward to the CL, but also plan on enjoying the view from my balcony or the room if the weather doesn't permit being outside.

All I know is that it'll be great to virtually walk out of my cabin and into the CL for a cocktail or 2 before dinner and maybe take one to enjoy while getting ready. We won't spend a lot of time there but it'll be handy.

All I know is that it'll be great to virtually walk out of my cabin and into the CL for a cocktail or 2 before dinner and maybe take one to enjoy while getting ready. We won't spend a lot of time there but it'll be handy.

The CL is handy for that. We were a bit disappointed last year on the Liberty when we had a cabin right around the corner. The had turned the CL into a card room and moved it up to 14. (actually it is now a SL on the Liberty)

• 3 weeks later...
We will turn Diamond on our next cruise after the 4th night. Does anyone know if we will be allowed to use the Diamond Lounge then?

Most likely not until the next cruise.

We will turn Diamond on our next cruise after the 4th night. Does anyone know if we will be allowed to use the Diamond Lounge then?

By the stated rules you do not reach Diamond until the end of the cruise that you earn enough points.

It never hurts to talk to the Loyalty Ambassador and try to talk your way in.