Harv and Marv - OR Orca Enterprises

hollon

Awesome photos!!!!

Can you tell us which of their boats is in that picture?

Just that it's one of their 6 passenger boats. You can go out on the bow and it had a large stern perfect for taking photos. It has a private head, "bathroom". They offer VR or IS binoculars' if you want. Snacks and soft drink were in a case on the stern and you could just help yourself.

framer

Just that it's one of their 6 passenger boats. You can go out on the bow and it had a large stern perfect for taking photos. It has a private head, "bathroom". They offer VR or IS binoculars' if you want. Snacks and soft drink were in a case on the stern and you could just help yourself.

framer

How long ago was your tour? That looks like it might be Marv at the captain.

From their website:

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/#!faqs/c1vcw

Q. Is there a discount for children? (see minimum age policy)

A. Sorry, because of our limited seating capacity, we are unable to offer any discounts.

To help keep all of our customers as happy as possible, if you have children under the age of thirteen (13) you will need to book a private tour.

Q. How many passengers can you take on a boat at one time?

A. Our smallest boats take 6 guests. For guests who would like a bit of a discount, we offer tours with up to 14 guests. For private groups we can accommodate up to 18 guests. Children and infants are included in the total (regardless of age - see minimum age policy).

I was asking about a private tour and that was their response.

Coral was very nice and helpful, and I believe she posted the current policies from their web-site.

Looks like somebody failed to mention or recommend the option of chartering a boat. They just do not want one party's children to be a distraction or disturbance for any other party onboard.

How many are in your party? I believe somebody mentioned that they were able to go on a 6 passenger boat for about the cost of 5 passengers?

If you are interested in H and M, then maybe you could call or email again to double check current policy.

I didn't say she wasn't nice or helpful. I think she's a lovely lady. There is no need to be rude and treat me like a 5 YO. Happiness for you that you are perfect and the smartest ever.

I ended up calling them. It appears that the website I was on when I sent the email wasn't them so I was mistaken. Please forgive me for my ignorance and making sure you slapped me on the hand. I did - in the email - mention private tour, 6 people and the ages but I guess it doesn't mean much if you send it to the wrong people. This isn't my first rodeo at cruising or booking private tours. Since you are perfect maybe I'll have you do it for me next time. :rolleyes:

Kayla (with a B) was very nice and helpful. Yes, they do take younger.

How long ago was your tour? That looks like it might be Marv at the captain.

Yes, that was Jay. We were on the boat about 3 hours, away from the ship about 4 1/2 hours. I checked the pictures of there boats on the website I believe 90% that's the interior of M/V OB 1.

Second time we went it was the same boat but Capt Steve took us out.

framer

Yes, that was Jay. We were on the boat about 3 hours, away from the ship about 4 1/2 hours. I checked the pictures of there boats on the website I believe 90% that's the interior of M/V OB 1.

Yes, I too am pretty sure that is the M/V OB1. I have been on it more than once. Great boat for whale watching and Jay is a great captain.

Dolphin Jet Boat Tours recently purchased Orca Enterprises. Even if they used the Orca boats, and both need some repair per Dolphin, they are now at a different dock location in Auke Bay.

Any steps or ramps would be different than previous Orca tours.

Edited by flatlander321

I know a different question - Which is easiest to get to the dock if a person using a cane or wheelchair? Orca or Harv/Marv? Is there any steep steps, etc

Honestly - I would call each one. Orca Enterprises (now Dolphin) has a boat that is accessible with a wheelchair. The dock they used to use had a long ramp to get to the dock area but once there, it is easy to get onto that specific boat.

I didn't think Harv and Marv had a handicapped accessible boat but could be wrong.

Edited by Coral

Our family members liked Harv and Marv as well, but smaller boat and a bit more expensive. Onboard amenities are scaled back, of course. Orca had naturalists from the cruise ships onboard. With only six passengers you may not see this on H&M.

While this did happen, of my many times with them, only 1 time there was a naturalist from a cruise ship with them. Most of my whale watches included a local naturalist (who was good).

I know a different question - Which is easiest to get to the dock if a person using a cane or wheelchair? Orca or Harv/Marv? Is there any steep steps, etc

Check Harv and Marv's website. I remember in 2012 there was a caveat on their website that there were steps (2 or 3 if I remember correctly) involved in accessing their boats. Given that they may have added boats to their fleet since then, check for current info.

We've used Harv and Marv a couple of times. Last year and a few years ago. If you scroll down some there are some pics from the H&M tour.

https://goo.gl/photos/NdVFBWVBStt3n8Jd8

I believe some large company bought Harv and Marv a few years ago. I couldn't really tell any difference between the two times we went.

wow, what a beautiful photo album. Were all these pictures on same cruise? what ports did you use Harv and Marv? what other companies did you use?

wow, what a beautiful photo album. Were all these pictures on same cruise? what ports did you use Harv and Marv? what other companies did you use?

The pictures were all from a 14 day Holland America cruise from this past June/July that leaves out of Seattle. It goes to a few ports that most other cruises don't go to (i.e. Kodiak and Homer).

Here are the tours we went on.

HAL Tours

Ketchikan, Alaska, US Cultural Treasures of Annette Island

Homer, Alaska, US Best of the Bay (boat tour)

Sitka, Alaska, US Explore Sitka, Raptor Center & Native Tales

Victoria, British Columbia,Canada Butchart & Butterfly Gardens

Non-HAL Tours

Icy Strait Point - Hoonah Bear Search through Misty Bay lodge. Didn't see a bear but it wasn't from the guide's lack of trying. She went above and beyond to try to find a bear.

Juneau - Harv and Marv Whale Watching Second time with them. Small, fast boats. Would do it again.

Kodiak - forget the name of the tour. I think he only had one tour for cruise ship passengers. It was by Memory Makers (Dake was the owners name). His email was dakenak@yahoo.com Very interesting. Lot's of good stories. Enjoyed it very much.

We did Anchorage on our own. Took the shuttle into town. Walked around a little then took another shuttle to the Alaska Native Heritage Center.

Edited by clueless2

On the Harv and Marv website, it mentions that occasionally because of weather conditions, the water may be too rough for the smaller 6 passenger boats and they would make every effort to accommodate any passengers on a cancelled 6 person trip into another tour on one of their larger boats, space permitting. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any idea how often this actually happens? Is it worth it to take the chance of being shut out of an excursion altogether because of booking the smaller boat?

Edited by namaste1223

First, I get sea sick on cruise ships, but out of 3 whale watching tours out of Auke Bay, I never got sea sick at all. YMMV, but if you do are might get sea sick, take Bonnie - on the ship and for the day of your tour. Simple.

Second, H&M used to take kids, but they had complaints (back when Pete and Jay owned it) so they stopped taking kids under 13 unless you chartered the entire boat.

Our tour last year with H&M, we were lucky enough to have Jay's daughter, Jayleen, as our captain. She had heard about orcas not far from where she lived and we followed a large pod for about 30 minutes and I got great pics.

We've done 2 with H&M and one with Alaska Galore, who also uses small boats. We had to use them when our son was under 13. They were really good as well and I would recommend them as well as H&M.

We did H&M twice and both times included a stop at Mendenhall Glacier. I can't tell from their web site if they still do Mendenhall but a quick call or email should provide the answer. We're going to Alaska again in July 2017 and plan to book with them again. The last time we had Jayleen as our captain and she chased down a pod of orcas then the humpbacks bubble feeding.

ORCAS.jpg.5399c66cca485aeb62cb550ff19a3463.jpg

112219892_BUBBLENETFEEDING2.jpg.2ef94755d6d98a3328d6a65894b02c86.jpg

768789322_BUBBLENETFEEDING.jpg.fa44391fa0701972808c0987d1515657.jpg

BREACHING.jpg.1a5ed56a8354f6a88b2d3dce271c5b0a.jpg

1879151627_ALASKA20141698.jpg.75f3780711c6009212e87c2df116452c.jpg

We did H&M twice and both times included a stop at Mendenhall Glacier. I can't tell from their web site if they still do Mendenhall but a quick call or email should provide the answer. We're going to Alaska again in July 2017 and plan to book with them again. The last time we had Jayleen as our captain and she chased down a pod of orcas then the humpbacks bubble feeding.

Sounds fun! Love the pictures! Thanks!

We are doing our 3rd tour with Harv and Marv this June. We love them and we love the small, personal boat. No jostling with 60 other people to get pictures. On our first tour, Jay's daughter, Jayleen was our naturalist. She has now started her own private whale watching company (http://www.jayleensalaska.com)

with private 6 person boats. We could not book this trip with her because we will have 7 people, but she was amazing on our first tour and I recommended her to my parents who booked a tour with her in August. I highly recommend both companies.