Rain Poncho

sharkaymon

I keep one in my travel bag at all times. Even when sailing the Caribbean, it comes in handy. I have used it to keep my beach bag dry when a sudden rain shower surprised us. I had my reader and camera in the bag! I am fond of the disposable ones as they are about the size of a deck of cards and I can usually find then under $1.

I bought a lightweight "shell" for layering on mine. The outdoorsy type with lots of pockets, Velcro straps around the wrists and hood. Bought it at Burlington coat factory for very cheap. I still wear it today for casual rainy days. I think it was anne Klein. A poncho would work fine too. Lands end is a good resource. Depends on what time of year you are going as to how warm you want it to be.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Absolutely! A rain poncho is a great idea. And if you buy the disposable kind, a couple ponchos per person are a good idea. Alaska has numerous microclimates in various places. Ketchikan is the rainiest town in southeast Alaska. Layering clothes and having a rain poncho are great ideas for coping with Alaska's variable weather.

Edited by winddawn

A poncho in the wind and rains of Alaska is absolutely useless. You will be spending your whole time holding is down. If it gives you a sense of security by packing one in your bag as an emergency garment....then do so. You are just a whole lot better off bring along and unlined, waterproof, windproof shell that you can wear a fleece or sweater under.

A poncho in the wind and rains of Alaska is absolutely useless. You will be spending your whole time holding is down. If it gives you a sense of security by packing one in your bag as an emergency garment....then do so. You are just a whole lot better off bring along and unlined, waterproof, windproof shell that you can wear a fleece or sweater under.

This! :D

We were on the catamaran in Tracy Arm. It wasn't even rainy but it was windy on deck there were two people who had on ponchos that kept slapping us in the face. LOL. We ended up asking them to hold them down--at least one of them stepped back and saw how they were whipping around behind them. :eek:

The only windy place was perhaps on the decks of a moving ship for my trips. Walking around town.... I found the umbrella worked better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0bcDNKQ5XA

Poncho's were complimentary when walking off the board.... not sure if they ran out.

[YOUTUBE]ONTELH-iV3A[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

I have to agree. Ponchos are pretty much worthless. If you want to stay dry buy an inexpensive rain suit and pack that, instead of a poncho. The weight and size difference is minimal, but the difference in protection is astronomical!

I too travel with a poncho, regardless of the destination. In Alaska I appreciate the poncho keeping my day pack and contents dry if it's a really rainy day.

The best option is a hooded waterproof jacket, but if you live in a climate where you will NEVER wear this jacket again and you don't want to invest the money to purchase one, a poncho over a light jacket or fleece is a reasonable alternative. It's certainly not going to help you on a really windy day or a boat excursion, but like I said, if you don't want to buy a good jacket, it's a reasonable substitute. Not a flimsy $1 poncho, but a heavier grade. Mine is a TOTES for $7-$8. You could also look into buying a cheap rain jacket like Dri Ducks or something similar at Sierra Trading Post or local sporting goods store. Please, no umbrella ... they block people's views and are dangerous when walking in crowded areas.

Edited by mapleleaves

After our recent experience with ponchos at that big bridge attraction near you, I totally agree :D Good grief, it was the worst, and wasn't very effective at keeping us dry, either !

Umbrellas are as annoying as ponchos, even more awkward, and can present a real hazard to people around you.

OP imho you will be much happier and much more comfortable with a waterproof hooded jacket. If you want to do it on the cheap, check out thrift stores. One of mine cost $8, and a decade later is still keeping me dry :)

I have this one from IKEA in Bright Green. DD says I look like a Brussel Sprout. :D Hit way below the knee. Large enough to cover me, my tote and my carryon. Was good for embarkation in Long Beach where you wait outside, but would be awkward for everyday use.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/30283696/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We will be going on our first Alaska cruise the end of this month. I bought rain ponchos at Home Depot for around $5. After reading the posts about them not being great in the wind I decided to pack a couple of long bungee cords that will wrap around our waist thinking this will keep the ponchos from whipping around in the wind. Hope it will work!

Thanks for the thoughts on rainwear for Alaska. I was thinking of a cheap poncho even though I know it did not work on our last Alaska cruise. I'm going to look for an inexpensive waterproof jacket with a hood.

We will be going on our first Alaska cruise the end of this month. I bought rain ponchos at Home Depot for around $5. After reading the posts about them not being great in the wind I decided to pack a couple of long bungee cords that will wrap around our waist thinking this will keep the ponchos from whipping around in the wind. Hope it will work!

And a fashion statement to boot! ;):D

Strongly recommend the GoreTex rain jackets (men and women) from LLBean. Mine kept me completely dry in a record-setting deluge in Dubrovnik....record-setting to the extent that street vendors carts were washed away in the flooding waters of the streets.

I was bone dry where the jacket covered. DH had opted not to go for that 'more expensive' rain jacket. He was soaking wet in his good-enough 'water repellant' jacket.... Let's just say he owns one just like mine now......

We've had great luck with ponchos - the heavier vinyl kind, not the disposable ones. My DH uses a transport chair and I'm the pusher, so an umbrella is difficult. He stays nice and dry with the poncho draped over himself and the chair and I have two hands free to push him.

And a fashion statement to boot! ;):D

Ah no, that is reserved for those with large trash bags who have cut slits in the bags for their head and arms. This garment is held tight at the waist with a bungee cord.:D